Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: I Am Thyron
PostPosted:  

http://www.amazon.com/The-Autobiography ... B0068F1K5U

This is a science fiction novel based on the Urantia Book. Has anyone heard of it?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: I Am Thyron
PostPosted:  

I have not heard about it other than the brief description on Amazon. It could be interesting.

I've always thought the story on how the UB came into existance would be an interesting book and/or movie. If done right. There is, I believe, enough info out there to use as a foundation and with a little creative liberity could make for an interesting story. From experience I know many people who have shut the door on the UB once they began to explore its origins and I believe that is because they read some skeptics view on it. It's the type of story that if done poorly can really make the UB seem like some kind of channeled document. But if done properly and show the level of investigation that Dr. Sadler and others did it can show just how unique the process was.

Post subject: Re: I Am Thyron
PostPosted:  

After seeing this thread, I bought the book (Kindle version). I just finished reading it and as an avid reader and a fan of good fiction, I can honestly say that I would not recommend this book to anyone. Though the subject matter was interesting at times, the book itself was very poorly written. The sentence structure was frequently awful. The spelling was poor. The author occasionally uses words incorrectly - even multiple times with the same word, as with "superfluous" which he seems to think means something like "super-fluid". He often breaks chapters after only a paragraph or two. The storyline was not fluid and often jumped around strangely. I realize it is fiction, but he presents concepts antithetical to the Urantia Book's teachings, such as reincarnation. And lastly, the ending is very abrupt and left me with somewhat of a "what the heck?" feeling. In fact, the only reasons I finished the book at all were because I had paid for it and it was Urantia Book -related. I don't think this book went through the hands of an editor. Perhaps no editor wanted to take on such a herculean task. I think what may be even worse is that in the author's bio at the end, it says this is the first of a trilogy. Needless to say, I won't be reading the next two books.

The art at the end was pretty, though. I bet you thought I couldn't say something nice about it.