Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:38 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 23rd Psalm
PostPosted:  

Good 1st Spring Sunday (up in northern hemisphere, anyway!):

i plan to spend this afternoon with many family members
we will eat and drink; swim, kayak and fish; laugh, maybe cry; view NCAA BB; eat and laugh . . . oops, mentioned those already . . !

there are a few seasoned singers in our clan so i'm planning to gather us together to sing a SATB arrangement of The 23rd Psalm ~ harmonies are heavenly. as we won't have the time nor inclination to share it a capella i hope to sing along with the Idea of North CD from which i learned this arrangement existed. while dragging my pencil toward getting around to transcribing it, i found the sheet music online for a buck and some change, apiece. on previewing it, i realize that McFerrin used the feminine pronoun, "She", rather than the traditional "He", and dedicated it to his mother, mayhaps, our Mother . . .

found this version on youtube and wanted ya'll to enjoy, as well:

7 VIRGINS??? How about 2 experienced veterans, 1 Playstation 3 w/ games, and 2 controllers!!! hahaha just kidding, I know that was ignorant to make fun of someone beliefs I just thought it was funny! I truly don't intend to offend anyone, I'm just in a good mood this morning, and to quote the late actor heath ledger playing as Joker... Why so serious?!

i am reminded, also, of select references to the Psalms in TUB:
Quote:
96:7.2 The Psalms are the work of a score or more of authors; many were written by Egyptian and Mesopotamian teachers. During these times when the Levant worshiped nature gods, there were still a goodly number who believed in the supremacy of El Elyon, the Most High.

96:7.3 No collection of religious writings gives expression to such a wealth of devotion and inspirational ideas of God as the Book of Psalms. And it would be very helpful if, in the perusal of this wonderful collection of worshipful literature, consideration could be given to the source and chronology of each separate hymn of praise and adoration, bearing in mind that no other single collection covers such a great range of time. This Book of Psalms is the record of the varying concepts of God entertained by the believers of the Salem religion throughout the Levant and embraces the entire period from Amenemope to Isaiah. In the Psalms God is depicted in all phases of conception, from the crude idea of a tribal deity to the vastly expanded ideal of the later Hebrews, wherein Yahweh is pictured as a loving ruler and merciful Father.

96:7.4 And when thus regarded, this group of Psalms constitutes the most valuable and helpful assortment of devotional sentiments ever assembled by man up to the times of the twentieth century. The worshipful spirit of this collection of hymns transcends that of all other sacred books of the world.

may your day be blessed by this music, love of friends and family, glorious sunshine
(or at least one of the above if you find yourself alone and in the middle of a snowstorm)
in His name and by Her grace,
smm

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: 23rd Psalm
PostPosted:  

Thank you susan, for that link...very beautiful, and I am impressed that "he" is turned to "she." I love those harmonies, too. When I was young, I was a singer in the choir in my girls' school. Four-part harmony was the order of the day, and we sang the loveliest of the old Latin hymns. I never fully appreciated it until I lost my singing voice, but I truly loved being in that choir. It was the high point of my Catholic education.

Thanks again, and what a beautiful day you're going to have...Happy Spring! We just had a big snowfall on Friday, and it is melting off today...looking for daffodils soon!

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

That was indeed lovely.

I was a choir member, too, in my youth. In school, we had quite a large and fairly well-known A Capella Choir. We went around to other districts and regaled them with our vocal wonders. We sang plenty all-American type tunes, but I particularly remember doing "The Lost Chord". I, too, miss my singing voice. There's nothing quite like lifting ones voice in song to the Creator.

The Lost Chord
Music by Sir Arthur Sullivan;
words by Adelaide Anne Proctor

Song Lyrics
Seated one day at the organ, I was weary and ill at ease,
And my fingers wander'd idly over the noisy keys;
I knew not what I was playing, or what I was dreaming then,
But I struck one chord of music like the sound of a great Amen.

It flooded the crimson twilight like the close of an Angel's Psalm,
And it lay on my fever'd spirit with a touch of infinite calm.
It quieted pain and sorrow like love overcoming strife,
It seem'd the harmonious echo from our discordant life.

It link'd all perplexed meanings into one perfect peace
And trembled away into silence as if it were loth to cease;
I have sought, but I seek it vainly, that one lost chord divine,
Which came from the soul of the organ and enter'd into mine.

It may be that Death's bright Angel will speak in that chord again;
It may be that only in Heav'n I shall hear that grand Amen!

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

PostPosted:  

Larry, thank you. The lad did a fine job on such a big piece of music. Very nice indeed.

PostPosted:  

Hey All,

That beautiful video that you posted (THANK YOU!) got me to thinking again about the songs of my youth, and I found this lovely version of one of them by the boys' choir. I also liked this because it depicts pretty much exactly how I saw Mass as a child. The part of the Mass on this video is the blessing of the bread (as in the Remembrance Supper), right before Communion. In the Mass, it was all golden vessels and silk robes and incense - lots of pomp - and also very precise...it never changed - ever.

Quote:
179:5.5 Notwithstanding the Master's effort thus to establish this new sacrament of the remembrance, those who followed after him in the intervening centuries saw to it that his express desire was effectively thwarted in that his simple spiritual symbolism of that last night in the flesh has been reduced to precise interpretations and subjected to the almost mathematical precision of a set formula. Of all Jesus' teachings none have become more tradition-standardized.

They sure got that right...

Anyway, here's that great song - "Panis Angelicus" (Oh Wondrous Heavenly Bread)- and it has translation, which is good...a love song to Jesus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cL8RteBbGE

mj

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi MJ --

There's an "embed link" at the right side of YouTube displays -- that code can be copied and then pasted into a note here using the youtube button above the edit entry window to encapsulate the embed code. However, I see that the video you want to embed has been deactivated by YouTube -- don't know why -- so apparently the only way to get to the video is to use the URL you've provided above -- the video apparently can't be embeded in your note.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Mary Jo, your comment about the pomp of Catholic mass never changing in any detail reminded me of the Tony Hillerman books I am currently reading, depicting the Navajo way of life. Their holy men were also keen on doing everything precisely. In doing "The Blessing Way" for example, or any healing ceremony, or cleansing rituals, singing just the right words at just the right instant, creating the sand paintings with just the right hue and quantity, were essential in order for the Blessing to be effective. Any deviation from the standard was tantamount to ill will and could lead to great displeasure from the Spirit world. How loyal we are to the rites and rituals that we ourselves inaugurate! How fearful we seem to be of our own spiritual liberation, as if any veering from the straight and narrow would surely lead to our own downfall and the downfall of others. I don't think there is anyone that does not quicken to the tempo of pomp and circumstance ... in government, in sports, in religion. We seem to thrive on regimentation.

PostPosted:  

thanks for these beautiful vocal offerings and for the technical assistance, too

i appreciate others telling of their deep connections felt when lifting the voice in worship, praise and adoration

for me, it has been a very precious gift - one i am ever seizing opportunities to continue to share

it was a group of late teenagers that i enlisted to sing with me, yesterday. they did not know one another well, being from various branches of the family tree, so they were pretty reserved about singing out ~ i should have expected this. still, i trust that hearing and singing the Psalm touched them in some valuable way.

susan