Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:37 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Kepler takes off...
PostPosted:  

Hooray...Kepler takes off. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/keple ... index.html

Question: With Urantia being a isolated planet do you ever think we will make contact? Maybe I just answered my own question :wink:

Last edited by tootsie on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Kepler takes off...
PostPosted:  

tootsie wrote:
Hooray...Kepler takes off. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/keple ... index.html

Question: With Urantia being a isolated planet do you ever think we will make contact? Maybe I just answered my own question :wink:

Hey Tootsie,

Well, there are those who believe that such contact has been already established, but leaving that aside, it would seem to be awaiting the final adjudication of the Lucifer rebellion and his final personality extinction.

[53:9.6] We do not look for a removal of the present Satania restrictions until the Ancients of Days make final disposition of the archrebels. The system circuits will not be reinstated so long as Lucifer lives.

When that may come about we cannot know. It may have already come about, and perhaps the "contactees" are right.

<scratches head>

a.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Aloha...this is thrilling that our telescopes will be used to gather data from Kepler...I had a great conversation in the kitchen today with a Astonomer who will be involved...they are so cool...you don't have to know all the gargon...no problem. They often go to the school and talk with the kids to spark their interest. Plus the University of Hawaii in Hilo has a Astronomy dept and a teaching telescope atop Mauna Kea. Great opportunities for our island kids...many are surprised to think about the possibilities. It takes many hands and talents to make it all happen...lot of mechanics on board to keep things running smoothe and plenty more talents...what a blessing for me to be part of the team...Here's our link that came out today...enjoy

http://keckobservatory.org/index.php/ne ... er_earths/

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Tootsie...

Can I publish this news release on the Truthbook blog???

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi MaryJo and the respect of asking first...Yes by all means. It is in the news on Keck's public website...

www.keckobservatory.org

Good stuff :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks Tootsie - you are one lucky lady to have such a significant job - at least it feel very significant to me, given what we know about the worlds of space. I hope that your spiritually fragrant self can attract some of those nice astronomers to TUB...

Thanks for the permission - what I usually do is edit pieces just a little so that no one gets their feathers ruffled, and then I link to the source article. I'll put this one in the blog under "Urantia-related" and quote something from the book about the subject...

Aloha sis!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks MaryJo...I feel very blessed to go into that building and walk down the halls to my desk that are lined with photos of the universe and just to be part of that environment is thrilling. After working for Catholic Charities in a girls group home (it had to close due to funding :cry: ) I asked Father what his will was for my next assignment and this little job just came to me in a phone call... O:)[list=][/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Well, I'd say you are right where you need to be!!! I got a job in much the same way, just letting go, and letting God, and I am still there 23 years later...it was the best move I ever made. I know you must feel very blessed...

Here's the link to view what I've done...

http://www.truthbook.com/urantia_book_commentary/

Hope you're having a great day, Tootsie!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

http://kepler.nasa.gov/media/art.html#lomberg

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Good pixs...and link...I found this disappointing...from the FAQ on the link.

Where I can go on the net to see photos taken by the Kepler telescope?

Any images would get posted on this Kepler website
http://kepler.nasa.gov/media. However, in general, Kepler will not be getting photos throughout its mission. It will be obtaining photometry data on 100,000 stars -- it will only download information from pixels immediately adjacent to each of those stars.

I wish i could grasp more. Like is it going to be 3,000 light years out from Urantia? Will it be past Pluto?

I am having a da moment...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Tootsie,

I found this information about the Kepler telescope. It will be in an Earth-trailing heliocentric orbit at approximately the same distance as the earth is from the sun.

http://astro.phys.au.dk/KASC/Orbit_Mar5_09L.gif

http://kepler.nasa.gov/sci/design/orbit.html

2009 May 29. Kepler Project Manager Update - Kepler remains safe and stable in its "drift-away" heliocentric orbit. The space-craft is over 8.4 million kilometers from Earth. Kepler has been collecting science data since 12 May. The operations team has had nearly daily contacts using the Deep Space Network to check the spacecraft health.

This is NASA’s first mission capable of finding Earth-sized and smaller planets around stars other than our Sun. Unlike the Hubble telescope which orbits Earth, this telescope is in orbit around the Sun. It is roughly at Earth’s distance from the Sun, but on an orbit where it lags slightly more behind Earth’s position as time passes. After 4 years, Kepler will be about 0.5 AU, or half the Earth-Sun distance, behind Earth on its orbit.

Kepler will stare continuously at the same small region of the sky for three and a half years. Scientists did not want this steady gaze interrupted by day-night cycles or by passage behind the Earth, as would happen if the telescope were in Earth’s orbit. Further, Kepler is looking at a region of space far above the plane of our solar system, so the Sun, Moon, and other solar system bodies never come near the field of view. That area of space is also in the galactic plane roughly in the direction the Sun itself is traveling. This means we are observing stars at the Sun’s approximate distance from the galactic core.

Kepler will detect extrasolar planets using the transit method. This method involves looking at stars continually for long periods of time to see if the light ever gets slightly dimmer. If the slight dimming occurs on a regular basis, it might be because a planet is orbiting the star and regularly passing in front of it from our perspective. Such a passage is called a transit. When a planet as small as our Earth transits its star, the star dims by only a factor of 1/10,000. Only now, with Kepler, do we have an instrument powerful enough to detect such a tiny change in a star’s brightness. Of course, we need to be fortunate enough to observe the planetary system edge-on, otherwise no transit will occur. However, the chosen field of view contains about 100,000 stars, so odds are at least a few are oriented favorably.

It sure would be exciting to make contact with life from another planet in our lifetime. O:)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Tootsie,

The pics Kepler will take look something like this: Kepler's Diamond Mine of Stars

Because stars are so far away, telescopes (even the special kind of telescope called a photometer like Kepler) cannot see planets around the star directly.

Because Kepler is looking for planets transiting across the face of its parent star, it must measure light coming from that star precisely. This is what "photometer" means. It doesn't really take pictures like Hubble.

Researchers must carefully take this raw data and reduce it to usable forms. This number crunching is both time consuming and extremely challenging akin to looking for one needle in 100,000 haystacks.