Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Majeston,

I do the best I can to make my sources of knowledge known. At no time do I wish to portray myself as an "expert" or a "divine messenger of GOD."

To the best of my knowledge, neither Dr. Seeds nor any of my professors portray themselves as divinely inspired messengers of GOD. My college professors are human. Astronomers like Michael A. Seeds who authored Foundations of Astronomy, give their best current human and mortal understanding of reality. At no time to scientists claim their understanding is in any way "absolute" but in terms of our modern society, they are defined as "experts."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cosmology:

Pronunciation: käz-'mä-l&-jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
Etymology: New Latin cosmologia, from Greek kosmos + New Latin -logia -logy
1 a : a branch of metaphysics that deals with the nature of the universe b : a theory or doctrine describing the natural order of the universe
2 : a branch of astronomy that deals with the origin, structure, and space-time relationships of the universe; also : a theory dealing with these matters
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which definition of cosmology do the revelators use in the FER? And if the cosmology of TUB is stated to be uninspired, can you tell me why it seems that many students of the Urantia Papers treat the cosmology presented in TUB as though it IS inspired? Also, Majeston, can you tell me of the quotes you so thoughtfully copied and pasted, which are from human sources, which are known and about-to-be known facts, and which are supposedly pure revelation? Or do you assume it's all pure revelation and disregard the stated limitations of same?

I'd certainly love to see you explain to my professors how they are "wrong" based on the teachings of your sacred book. The revelators are certainly entitled to their opinion, but such opinions are not proof of divinity, in my opinion, especially given the stated limitations of revelation.

Majeston, is this what most appeals to you about the Urantia Book? Does believing in the Urantia Book give you an opportunity to "know" something the "experts" don't? Is this what "revelation" means to you?

Here's an opinion from Dale E. Essary regarding the science and cosmology of TUB:

“True science can have no lasting quarrel with true religion.” (195:7.2)

Quote:
So says a “commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director” who “sponsored” Part IV of The UB, the basis of which was “supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew” (Part IV inleaf). And if we are to believe that these “celestial” beings are who they say they are, then it is they who are pointing an accusatory finger at their own fellow authors. It seems that much of the science content to be found in The UB indeed has a “lasting quarrel” with its religious precepts.

We now know that much of the scientific content in The UB was taken from human sources without due scrutiny. It is apparent from some of the errors and inconsistencies in this material that the redactors did not have a firm grasp of the very concepts they were plagiarizing. It is not unlike the disappointment many high school teachers often face when their students attempt to cull from encyclopedic entries to give the impression of a high degree of scholastic aptitude, only to have the student’s true ignorance of the subject matter exposed as they “doctor up” the text in an effort to hide their deceit. Likewise, much of the science material presented in The UB and the context in which it is presented strongly suggest that it was not prepared by someone with technical proficiency in the topic at hand.

That The UB openly admits its cosmology is “not inspired” is an open admission that it was written by humans, an assertion that cannot be casually dismissed. We can choose to accept on blind faith that these alleged celestial authors’ tendency to collect and ratify the “highest existing human concepts pertaining to the subjects to be presented” (0:12.10) was their true motive, and that any “mistakes” subsequently discovered can be attributable to outdated science or the limits of human comprehension. Or, we can choose to question their alleged authority by putting to the test that which is falsifiable. When we exercise this option, we see a clear pattern develop which points to human authorship, and one which leads us to the conclusion that the authors are terrestrial impostors.

I would suggest that the purpose for including the enormous amounts of scientific material in what is supposed to be a spiritually enlightening tome was not to provide any useful information to the reader. Rather, the science is offered to attract the intellects of readers who are impressed by such information, but who are not sufficiently analytical or well-informed to catch the inconsistencies therein. The average reader is not interested in scientific trivia, and is therefore all the more impressionable with the breadth and depth of topics of “knowledge” on which The UB speaks.

Rather than appealing to the realm of physics, which humans possess the potential for detecting and measuring, many choose to hide in the immeasurable, undetectable, non-falsifiable world of the metaphysical as reassurance that their comfort zone has not been threatened. As long as the pursuit of truth remains the driving force behind scientific endeavors, Christians should have no fear of science, but rather have reason to enthusiastically celebrate the process and embrace whatever facts the study of the natural realm reveals. On the other hand, those who prefer to faithfully uphold the tenets of their metaphysical precepts and argue that mainstream science has misappropriated the truth must face the potential for uncertainty and disillusionment.

In the end, the cosmological concepts worked out by these “celestial” authors were inspired not by the desire to reveal truth, not by benevolent motives, but by the need for acceptance, by the pursuit of popular appeal. The empty hope of self-reliance and defiance against God’s plan for salvation hides behind the grandeur of an enormous cosmic backdrop that does not even exist. The fruits of this colossal compromise are a gross distortion of reality and an untenable cosmic stage on which the very existence of their gods relies. And we all know what the One True God thinks of false gods and of those who worship them.

There is almost always more than one side to any story, but the "revelators" present their side as though it were the only side. "Experts" who do not care to properly cite their sources. Of course, Dale E. Essary bases his opinion on the teachings of his sacred book; the bible.

In conclusion, it would seem that as long as science proves the teachings of a sacred book, it must be "true science."

sacred:
Pronunciation: 'sA-kr&d
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from past participle of sacren to consecrate, from Anglo-French sacrer, from Latin sacrare, from sacr-, sacer sacred; akin to Latin sancire to make sacred, Hittite saklAi- rite
1 a : dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity <a tree sacred to the gods> b : devoted exclusively to one service or use (as of a person or purpose) <a fund sacred to charity>
2 a : worthy of religious veneration : HOLY b : entitled to reverence and respect
3 : of or relating to religion : not secular or profane <sacred music>
4 archaic : ACCURSED
5 a : UNASSAILABLE, INVIOLABLE b : highly valued and important <a sacred responsibility>

holy:
Pronunciation: 'hO-lE
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): ho·li·er; -est
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hAlig; akin to Old English hAl whole -- more at WHOLE
1 : exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness
2 : DIVINE <for the Lord our God is holy -- Psalms 99:9(Authorized Version)>
3 : devoted entirely to the deity or the work of the deity <a holy temple> <holy prophets>
4 a : having a divine quality <holy love> b : venerated as or as if sacred <holy scripture> <a holy relic>
5 -- used as an intensive <this is a holy mess> <he was a holy terror when he drank -- Thomas Wolfe> -- often used in combination as a mild oath <holy smoke>

How can an inanimate object devoid of personality be either sacred or holy? As much as I value my college textbooks, I do not consider them to be either sacred or holy.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

hermen,

you have a problem which will not be resolved anytime in the near future.

you will be like moses and the israelites destined to wander in the wilderness of confusion and doubt for thousands of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

majeston~

you do play the finite game with great desire to win.... but what of the infinite game?... have you forgotten?

peace, love, light~ truth, beauty, goodness

M=c2^e

~soj.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The New Tourist's Guide to the Milky Way

The Irish novelist George Moore once wrote, "a man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

Astronomers sometimes follow a similar philosophy when they want to learn about our galactic home, the Milky Way.

Fly Through It

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Rhermen,

Thanks for providing these informative and interesting links. The first is a good read, the second a rather overwhelming and fast-paced ride of the first order.

William

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5