Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:56 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Blasphemy
PostPosted:  

According to a dictionary,
blasphemy is
[blas-fuh-mee]
impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.
Judaism.
an act of cursing or reviling God.
pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai.
Theology. the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.
irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.:
noun
the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.

In terms of TUB would it be blasphemy to say that TUB contains much that is blasphemous?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Blasphemy
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Perhaps in the mind of the fundamentalist.

PostPosted:  

The principal charge the Sanhedrin convicted Jesus of before handing him over to the Romans for lethal punishment was blasphemy, wasn't it?

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
The principal charge the Sanhedrin convicted Jesus of before handing him over to the Romans for lethal punishment was blasphemy, wasn't it?

That was the excuse given for their actions.

PostPosted:  

admin wrote:
Perhaps in the mind of the fundamentalist.

A very cryptic reply, care to elaborate?
You allow fundamentalists here? :shock:

PostPosted:  

Patrick - I assure you the Urantia Book provides a most reverent view of Deity and the efforts of all who seek Him. But there are many forms of potential blasphemy claims from different perspectives of all individuals. There is no universal definition by all religionists as to blasphemy or heresy either one. And all sincere religionists and truth seekers are welcome here...to discuss the Urantia Book and it in comparison or contrast with other sources of truth, beauty, and goodness. Peace.

8)

PostPosted:  

Our Lord an Master Jesus Christ Michael Was
Accused of ''Blasphemy'' Yet was He Ever Blasphemies
Or even proven to BE SO ?

NO ONLY Accused of ''Blasphemy'' BY A Small group of Jews.

And ... IT Was the scene of “Pilate on trial before Jesus.”

(1999.5) 186:2.5 Jesus had acquired that type of human character which could preserve its composure and assert its dignity in the face of continued and gratuitous insult. He could not be intimidated. When first assaulted by the servant of Annas, he had only suggested the propriety of calling witnesses who might duly testify against him.

(1999.6) 186:2.6 From first to last, in his so-called trial before Pilate, the onlooking celestial hosts could not refrain from broadcasting to the universe the depiction of the scene of “Pilate on trial before Jesus.”

(1999.7) 186:2.7 When before Caiaphas, and when all the perjured testimony had broken down, Jesus did not hesitate to answer the question of the chief priest, thereby providing in his own testimony that which they desired as a basis for convicting him of blasphemy.

(1999.8) 186:2.8 The Master never displayed the least interest in Pilate’s well-meant but halfhearted efforts to effect his release. He really pitied Pilate and sincerely endeavored to enlighten his darkened mind. He was wholly passive to all the Roman governor’s appeals to the Jews to withdraw their criminal charges against him. Throughout the whole sorrowful ordeal he bore himself with simple dignity and unostentatious majesty. He would not so much as cast reflections of insincerity upon his would-be murderers when they asked if he were “king of the Jews.” With but little qualifying explanation he accepted the designation, knowing that, while they had chosen to reject him, he would be the last to afford them real national leadership, even in a spiritual sense.

(2000.1) 186:2.9 Jesus said little during these trials, but he said enough to show all mortals the kind of human character man can perfect in partnership with God and to reveal to all the universe the manner in which God can become manifest in the life of the creature when such a creature truly chooses to do the will of the Father, thus becoming an active son of the living God.

(2000.2) 186:2.10 His love for ignorant mortals is fully disclosed by his patience and great self-possession in the face of the jeers, blows, and buffetings of the coarse soldiers and the unthinking servants. He was not even angry when they blindfolded him and, derisively striking him in the face, exclaimed: “Prophesy to us who it was that struck you.”

(2000.3) 186:2.11 Pilate spoke more truly than he knew when, after Jesus had been scourged, he presented him before the multitude, exclaiming, “Behold the man!” Indeed, the fear-ridden Roman governor little dreamed that at just that moment the universe stood at attention, gazing upon this unique scene of its beloved Sovereign thus subjected in humiliation to the taunts and blows of his darkened and degraded mortal subjects. And as Pilate spoke, there echoed throughout all Nebadon, “Behold God and man!” Throughout a universe, untold millions have ever since that day continued to behold that man, while the God of Havona, the supreme ruler of the universe of universes, accepts the man of Nazareth as the satisfaction of the ideal of the mortal creatures of this local universe of time and space. In his matchless life he never failed to reveal God to man. Now, in these final episodes of his mortal career and in his subsequent death, he made a new and touching revelation of man to God.

PostPosted:  

According to Wikipedia, “Blasphemy is the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God, to religious or holy persons or things, or toward something considered sacred or inviolable.”

Blasphemy is a human concept not a Divine one. In reality it is the art of being either offensive to another human regarding that human’s beliefs or the art of being offended by another’s view or actions toward one’s own beliefs. In other words, it is our decision to identify someone else’s utterance as an offense, not to God, but to our own particular belief system, usually of our view of God. Blasphemy is inherently a judgment of another’s actions or reactions to or about us. It is inappropriate for us to think of our “beliefs” as righteous enough to qualify for this as we have no business being offended on God's behalf. After all they are only our beliefs, what we believe to be true.

In that sense we cannot blaspheme God. He does not notice the offense to any degree more than to recognize the lack of reality in an individual and his reaction, if you will, is to offer the offender (and we all are offenders) forgiveness. The Biblical reference to blaspheming the holy spirit is often misinterpreted. The real meaning is to turn one's back on God, completely and irrevocably. The only sin God cannot forgive is the one we will not ask forgiveness for. The Urantia Book makes it very plain what the consequences for that deliberate action is.

The very concept of blasphemy is contrary to our purported willingness to live the teachings of Jesus. I always say it is just as wrong to be offended as it is to be offensive. We will never reveal the Master’s teachings to others by being offended, even righteously offended at something or someone. This is no easy task for any of us but how valuable it is to actually achieve mastery of this human emotion. How many wars both big and small are attributed to offenses toward another’s religious beliefs? What could any of these really hope to solve? That my belief is bigger or better than yours? So what? So called blasphemers are either those who do not know and are ignorant or they are those who are deliberately attempting to get your goat. If you let them they win. Either way they deserve our prayers and pity not our anger.

Also, It helps me to read Desiderata once in a while just to keep my reckoning.

Desiderata

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy."

Blessings,
Jim

Last edited by Jim George on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:16 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Wise Words Of Wisdom

Brother Jim 8)

Thank You ,

GOD Bless You n Yours

PostPosted:  

One has to assume he knows the mind of God in order to judge something blasphemous and I don’t know if that is blasphemous in and of itself because I don’t know the mind of God.

PostPosted:  

Thanks so much Jim....I love it, been awhile.

:wink: 8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:44 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Me too Jim, me too.

As you can see, I liked it so much I bumped it to below.

Last edited by patmactb on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:47 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Every new "god" will bring with it new accusations of blasphemy.

And we have so many new "gods" with new "isms" so we have a new priesthood of authority ready to level new accusations of blasphemy. Try to "not believe" the priest of capitalism - you'll be sleeping on the street in just a few months in front of the home it took you your whole life to have....one of about 50 million stories, all with a single common thread - an accusation of "blasphemy - how convenient - http://rt.com/op-edge/225167-binney-whi ... wards-usa/

For a while there - in the 1960s or so in USA - it appeared as if the "idea" of blasphemy disappeared, being judged as "not real"...not a part of the kind of personal religious experience that draws man to wisdom and worship, that draws man to the Creator. God does not want man to keep interfering with how He wants to get us to love Him enough to say, "It is MY will that Your will be done".

Jesus held that the HUMAN PERSONALITY is "sacred".

Among the religions of authority - Islam, Judaism, Christianity - the sacredness of the bona-fide imperfect personality of humans - is completely missing. One can only find in other religions this discovered truth, beauty, and goodness found through personal human experience, through living what you believe.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

(Posts removed and reprimand deleted.)

Larry

PostPosted:  

My apologies Larry.

Disruption is not my intent whatsoever. I'm pretty sure that's what you accused me of, but that's not who I am or what I do. I'm sure much of what I've posted has been viewed as disruptive, but that is the nature of different povs.

You would do me a great service and clean this up at the same time if you would delete all posts after jimgeorge first post that I've copied several times. I just wanted that post to be viewed as the last post because it's the best and it's where many folks go to see what's going on in a thread. And I wanted his to be last.

And you could then lock this thread, which would be another nice feature for OPs to be able to do. His response was the best and all others just bring things down. it would be nice if we could lock our own threads when we are satisfied with a reply and aren't looking for others to muddy the waters.

Again sorry, no disruption intended.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next