Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:28 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Quote:
42:9.3 This sevenfold persistence of creative constitution is exhibited in the chemical domains as a recurrence of similar physical and chemical properties in segregated periods of seven when the basic elements are arranged in the order of their atomic weights. When the Urantia chemical elements are thus arranged in a row, any given quality or property tends to recur by sevens. This periodic change by sevens recurs diminishingly and with variations throughout the entire chemical table, being most markedly observable in the earlier or lighter atomic groupings. Starting from any one element, after noting some one property, such a quality will change for six consecutive elements, but on reaching the eighth, it tends to reappear, that is, the eighth chemically active element resembles the first, the ninth the second, and so on.

Hi all. Has this been resolved in the context of the Periodic Table of Elements which (initially) repeats in a cycle of 8 not 7? Thanks very much...

kiwi

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Interesting. Is the Periodic Table groupings arranged by property or quality? The same recurrence is observed on the piano keyboard or the musical notes and the colors of the rainbow. Sometimes we see double rainbow and the secondary has lesser quality than the primary.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Hi all. Has this been resolved in the context of the Periodic Table of Elements which (initially) repeats in a cycle of 8 not 7? Thanks very much...

I think the authors were psychic and finished this paragraph knowing what you were going to say next haha. Look at the paragraph again and take a look at the highlighted part.

Quote:
42:9.3 This sevenfold persistence of creative constitution is exhibited in the chemical domains as a recurrence of similar physical and chemical properties in segregated periods of seven when the basic elements are arranged in the order of their atomic weights. When the Urantia chemical elements are thus arranged in a row, any given quality or property tends to recur by sevens. This periodic change by sevens recurs diminishingly and with variations throughout the entire chemical table, being most markedly observable in the earlier or lighter atomic groupings. Starting from any one element, after noting some one property, such a quality will change for six consecutive elements, but on reaching the eighth, it tends to reappear, that is, the eighth chemically active element resembles the first, the ninth the second, and so on.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boom wrote:
I think the authors were psychic and finished this paragraph knowing what you were going to say next haha. Look at the paragraph again and take a look at the highlighted part.

Hi boom, not sure I see your point. The Urantia Book is saying there is a cycle of 7. But the Table of Elements has a cycle of 8. I'm interested to know if this apparent error has been addressed.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

Its saying that it is cycled at 8 as well....a cycle of 8 after the initial 7...The authors are saying that AFTER 7 it cycles and so its actually a cycle of 8.
Quote:
but on reaching the eighth, it tends to reappear, that is, the eighth chemically active element resembles the first, the ninth the second, and so on.

They are explaining that its not the 8 that is important but the original 7. The 8th is when the cycle is completed but the important part of this relationship to understand is how there are 7 original patterns and that is repeated on the 8th.

Scientists are saying that properties repeat themselves every 8 and so is the Urantia Book. This is great evidence for the Urantia Book. I doubt in 1934 this was discovered. Anyways. If something repeats every 8, than obviously the 1st 7 are all original properites. Hence the 7-fold relationships.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Hi Boom. Unfortunately I'm not able to follow you at all.

But something has just jumped out at me, which I think resolves the situation. It says "chemically active" element! If we don't count the chemically inactive elements in the Periodic Table (like Helium and Neon) then the cycle of 8 reduces to a cycle of 7. Phew!

And I've done some more looking around on this... The periodic table was well understood by the time the Urantia Book was written. But the text this passage was taken from (The Architecture of the Universe by W. F. G. Swann) didn't have the "chemically active" phrase in it, and therefore was incorrect. I guess the text was used because it pointed to a cycle of 7, which is the point the authors were trying to make. They just edited it a bit to make it correct, while keeping the point about the cycle of 7.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

Kiwi the urantia book is saying its a cycle of 8 as well. All is well. What does this paragraph tell you?

Quote:
42:9.3 Starting from any one element, after noting some one property, such a quality will change for six consecutive elements, but on reaching the eighth, it tends to reappear, that is, the eighth chemically active element resembles the first, the ninth the second, and so on.

The properties repeat every 7 but the cycle is actually 8. This is in agreement with science. You must have read something about how this cycle is 8, but in reality that means that the properties repeat every 7. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 1 and 8 have similar properties. So some scientists call this a cycle of 8 (where the properties repeats themselves every 7).

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Hi boom, my original point was just that:
- The Urantia Book says that the eighth resembles the first, and the ninth resembles the second
- The Period Table of Elements shows that the ninth resembles the first, and the tenth resembles the second.

(I've tried not to use the word cycle - it isn't needed)

These two are irreconcilable (in the way that I've written them here). But the Urantia Book has an additional phrase, "chemically reactive", which means we can exclude some elements when we are counting them, and it works out.

kiwi

Last edited by kiwi2 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
The Period Table of Elements shows that the ninth resembles the first, and the tenth resembles the second

Hmmm are you sure? My research on Periodic Law seems to match up with the u.b, in that the properties will repeat every 7 elements, (8th will resemble the 1st).

Also it seems that the order is in relation to weight.
Quote:
seven when the basic elements are arranged in the order of their atomic weights

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boom wrote:
Hmmm are you sure? My research on Periodic Law seems to match up with the u.b, in that the properties will repeat every 7 elements, (8th will resemble the 1st).

How so? How is Oxygen like Hydrogen?

kiwi

PostPosted:  

Quote:
How so? How is Oxygen like Hydrogen?

kiwi

Mendeleev created the first periodic table based on atomic weight. The modern periodic table is ordered by atomic number. Oxygen and Hydrogen match when it comes to Atomic Number. But that is not what the revelators are talking about.

Quote:

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boom wrote:
Mendeleev created the first periodic table based on atomic weight. The modern periodic table is ordered by atomic number. Oxygen and Hydrogen match when it comes to Atomic Number. But that is not what the revelators are talking about.

Dude, the sequence of elements is the same, whether they are ordered by atomic number or by atomic weight.

So in what way are Oxygen and Hydrogen similar? Any way at all. It would really help me if you gave me a bit more to work with here.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

You should provide some scientific quotes that show that the properties repeat by 9 and not 8.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Hi boom, something's weird in this thread - I guess we are just not getting each other. I've been saying that the properties in the Periodic Table repeat in a cycle of 8, not 9, and not 7. This is fairly obvious from the Periodic Table. Do I really need to provide a quote? I don't want to patronise by providing a quote - I'm assuming it's just a misunderstanding between us.

kiwi

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

If one is talking scientific fact, it would be wise to provide as many quotes - with attribution and links - as one can.