Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:27 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

This is by way of explaining why I ignored UB when I first encountered it. This was more than 40 years ago and I was in contact with some adult New Agers. These dear folk had no solid foundation in esoteric religion and believed anything and everything that was "channelled." So there was a mass of literature available, much of it comprising spiritual cliches if I remember correctly. There was also the Oahspe Bible. Because these people appeared to have little discrimination as to which literature was most valid, I adopted an attitude of healthy skepticism towards all of it. So when Urantia came along, I put it aside with all the other "channelled" literature. I had read enough stuff supposedly written by angelic creatures to remain doubtful as to the authenticity or value of any of it.

As I have stated elsewhere, I rediscovered UB accidentally when I was searching for something on Google. It remains to be seen whether I will attribute authenticity to it when I have read enough to have formed an opinion. Currently I have various members tearing their hair out in frustration at my unwillingness to read the whole book before asking questions about it.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I seriously doubt anyone has lost any sleep over you not reading the UB.

The Urantia Papers were not channeled.

Jo

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

jak wrote:
I seriously doubt anyone has lost any sleep over you not reading the UB.

The Urantia Papers were not channeled.

Jo

Yes I know they weren't channeled now that I have learned about them, but I did not know that at the time, OK? All I knew was that it was some book supposedly coming from a non-terrestrial source.

PostPosted:  

Since you tend to ignore the responses with substance I figured it would be easier to be short and blunt. And of course you know the papers were not channeled. In fact, no matter what question you ask or what you state you will negate the response in some way..that's your pattern.

Sorry, some days I feel a little gnarly, and guess that does show a bit today. But, have to admit that I have no idea what a nark is, at least in the way you used it. But please, don't enlighten me...doubt that it will make it into my vocabulary.

Peace anyway
Jo

Ok...I'm reigning in Sybil :wink:

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

jak wrote:
Since you tend to ignore the responses with substance I figured it would be easier to be short and blunt. And of course you know the papers were not channeled. In fact, no matter what question you ask or what you state you will negate the response in some way..that's your pattern.

Not so. If I get a helpful answer I will acknowledge it.
jak wrote:

Sorry, some days I feel a little gnarly, and guess that does show a bit today. But, have to admit that I have no idea what a nark is, at least in the way you used it. But please, don't enlighten me...doubt that it will make it into my vocabulary.
Peace anyway
Jo

You were not supposed to read the post until I edited out the "nark," which you will see I have now done.

Don't bother looking up the word. It is slang having a completely different meaning in the UK to what it has in Australia. In case your curiosity gets the better of you, you will note that I live in Australia. 8)

PostPosted:  

...wait, one more Mel,

I was among one of them who sugested that you read, but alit'le personal info for you, I DO NOT HAVE ANY HAIR at ALL!! lol :lol: :lol:

regards.

PostPosted:  

babuk wrote:
...wait, one more Mel,
I was among one of them who sugested that you read, but alit'le personal info for you, I DO NOT HAVE ANY HAIR at ALL!! lol :lol: :lol:
regards.

Hibabuk. I don't have a lot of hair myself -- certainly not enough to get a good grip on. :D
In the meantime various questions have occurred to me and I will use the index in the book and the search facility online to see what I can come up with before asking any further questions.

PostPosted:  

Hi guy, I'm John . Are there really those frustrated with you because you raise questions having not finished the book? How can it not raise questions from the table of contents on? When I first encountered the Ubook, I bounced all around it looking up topics in the contents I found interesting. Eventually I encountered a truth moment when reading the meaning of the death on the cross in the Jesus papers. That experience prompted me to read it through. It does make a huge difference in your overall comprehension when you do.
At the end of the day, it seemed to be about why we should recognize God as our father and all others as brothers and sisters and be excellent to each other. I found greatest value in a philosophy that actually reasoned. It was said in this book that religeon cannot be arrived at alone through reason, but it must be reasonable. Looking at the religeons of our species counted them out.
Although The Ubook is not a religeon and has no clergy, it may be the ripple effect that allows the concept of religeon on this world to evolve from theologiy to philosophy, from dictating morality to inspiring goodness. If you are interested in expanding your own conciensness and perspective, it's worth more than a look.
Just another seeker. John.

PostPosted:  

Melchizedek wrote:
Currently I have various members tearing their hair out in frustration at my unwillingness to read the whole book before asking questions about it.

Trust me you don't want to rely on those who have read the book to explain it to you its impossible not to adulture the Urantia Book when we give our insight's into what the author's are saying ultimitely the book is written much better than anything we can write so I wouldn't trust other people to teach what is in the book.

There are study group's where people attempt to -teach- what is being written and ultimitely the use logical conversation to explain everything in the book and it just comes off adultered, trust me you really gota go threw this book alone or with somone you trust and love and who is willing to go on this journey with you personally. Never trust someone with your spiritual insight's who is unwilling to love you back or they will just trample over what you have to say and instead give you what they have to say Urantia book reader or not....

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing