Switch to full style
A forum for skeptics to tactfully voice their skepticism.
Post a reply

I have lost my faith.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:38 pm +0000

Guys I am heartbroken. I read and believed the Urantia Book for ten years of my life. Ten wonderful years that I thought me and God finally had the beginnings of a new understanding. The Urantia Book was my world. Then, my faith was shattered. It is all thanks to wikipedia.com and what they have to say about the Urantia Book, how it talks about scientific inconsistencies and things that really cast the Urantia Book in a bad light. You have to read it for yourself. I guess my main problem is that the scientific information provided is still as of yet unproven. You just have to read it for yourself. Its http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urantia_Book

The critical views section is what killed me. Is there anyway someone can help me get my faith in the Urantia Book back?

Re: I have lost my faith.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:11 pm +0000

Hello nebadonomega,

It's good to have one's faith tested. It's good to find out how much one relies on the opinion of others in the formation of their faith -- these tests help us understand just how fragile our faith really is and how easily it can be shaken by what others might have to say.

When I answer a question coming to the Truthbook site about how can one believe whether The Urantia Book is true or not I often ask who is it you will believe? Will you believe me if I say it is revelation written by divine beings? Why would you believe that? You don't know me -- my judgment may be faulty... since you don't know me anything I say should be questioned. Will you believe a friend or relative of yours if they say it is a hoax? Why would you believe that? Is their judgment true and impartial? Do they understand things spiritual in the same way you do? Anything they say on this subject should be questioned. Will you believe a religious leader when they say The Urantia Book is a great book, or The Urantia Book is the work of the devil? What is their motivation in saying either of these things? Are you willing to let them make your spiritual decisions for you? There is only one way to know for certain whether one can believe The Urantia Book and that is to read and to decide for oneself. What you decide after you've read it may be different from what I would decide, but then you know for certain in your own heart whether the book carries the truth you seek or not.

Many long time Urantia Book reader's faith was shattered when they read Martin Gardner's review of TUB. This was because Martin Gardner had a reputation and a loyal following; he was well known and respected. That he didn't read The Urantia Book in order to review it didn't make a lot of difference to his followers and his negative and ignorant review jarred the belief of many professed reader/believers. Their faith was tested and found to be less strong than their need to be accepted by people who knew nothing about the book.

I happened to be in Mo Siegel's office last week when Mo clicked onto the Wikipedia article and asked us to come in and look at it with him. There used to be a well written, well considered, comprehensive, enlightening and uplifting article about The Urantia Book on Wikipedia. Someone has recently gone in and changed it all. There's nothing about the significance of Jesus, it's all about opinions, lawsuits, controversy... someone who is not a believer in the revelation has rewritten what was once an informative article. The Urantia Wikipedia article should be under the watchcare of the Fellowship and the Foundation and they've not been minding the store. Maybe this is a good thing for them too.

It's too bad that this particular article has had a profound influence on your faith; I expect that's exactly what the writer of the article had hoped the effect would be. But maybe that's a good thing. You will be forced to rely on your own hard earned belief and understanding and not on those of others. Your spiritual progress, from now until eternity, has always fully rested on your own shoulders -- you can get some comfort from knowing others believe similarly to what you believe, but nobody else's beliefs can substitute for those you earn on your own. The testing of one's faith is a good time for some soul searching introspection.

Best wishes,
Larry

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:28 am +0000

I had a similar experience when I was unable to verify that I am indwelt. I ditched the Urantia Papers for a more easily "verifiable" teaching. The easiness of the teaching eventually made me bored. I had to come back to go through the experiential struggle of God consciousness. When a mortal is illuminated within, he knows the Urantia Papers are revelation.

The initial attraction of the Urantia Papers to me was their expanded concepts of reality and Deity. However, my believing in them could not be sustained by intellectual appreciation alone.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:59 am +0000

Does faith come from the UB? I don't think so Neb. The seeds of faith are found only in personal religious experience, sincere prayer and worship. The UB is faith's water. People believe this book because it validates their inner experiences with spirit.

Ignore the carping critics and those who fear faith's hold. It's a good hold, and a real one.

Pray, trust and let Father have your life. It's his anyway :~)

Much love, Rick

Last edited by rick warren on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:27 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:39 am +0000

nebadonomega wrote:Guys I am heartbroken. I read and believed the Urantia Book for ten years of my life. Ten wonderful years that I thought me and God finally had the beginnings of a new understanding. The Urantia Book was my world. Then, my faith was shattered. It is all thanks to wikipedia.com and what they have to say about the Urantia Book, how it talks about scientific inconsistencies and things that really cast the Urantia Book in a bad light. You have to read it for yourself. I guess my main problem is that the scientific information provided is still as of yet unproven. You just have to read it for yourself. Its http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urantia_Book

The critical views section is what killed me. Is there anyway someone can help me get my faith in the Urantia Book back?

Hi nebadonomega,

I've been there as well, and in the wreckage new strength arose, not in "book worship" but in "living truth". We are all tempted to do it, to deify books, it's easier then having a relationship with God.

Note how quickly people have ABSOLUTE FAITH in the work of skeptics?????

Oddly, at the same time apparently erroneous science was used by the revelators, undiscovered science was also incorporated. http://www.ubthenews.com/

It appears that our accepted views of reality, our understanding of the physical world and what the UB reffers to as "so called science", these things are so far off of what is actually true that the revelators had to bend the revelation to a point of such distortion just to have something to present to us that it is left open to be picked at by ignorant skeptics.

It's just not possible that, what would have been a group of genius’s, could have made so many "cold hit's" on future discoveries and have minds capable of such extraordinary philosophic truth, all in agreement in perpetuating blasphemous fraud!!!! A mind capable of such morally consistent thought, so dedicated to faith in God, would by default, have to be acutely aware of the inexcusable lie it was advancing.

Having said that, I'm also annoyed at some of the goofy scientific foibles! I have no place in my reality to conceive of Van and Amadon sitting up in the highlands of India for 150,000 years, chewing on a bush. Sorry, I just leave stuff on the shelf.

Give it some time, you will "come right" as my Kiwi friend says.

Colter

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 am +0000

nebadonomega wrote: I guess my main problem is that the scientific information provided is still as of yet unproven. You just have to read it for yourself. Its http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urantia_Book

Hi Nebadonomega. I find the Wikipedia article informative (as it should be), not negative. And the 'scientific criticism' isn’t catastrophic either. :) The examples of criticisms regarding the science in The Urantia Book presented in the Wikipedia article are certainly not hard evidence against TUB:

The described formation of the solar system is consistent with the Chamberlin-Moulton planetesimal hypothesis.[2] Though popular in the early part of the 20th century, by the early 1940s it was discarded by Henry Russell's argument that it was incompatible with the angular momentum of planets such as Jupiter.[3] The currently accepted scientific explanation for the origin of the solar system is based on the nebular hypothesis.
If we do not even understand/know how our universe 'originated' (see the quote below), then any scientific claims about the formation of the solar system based on the big bang theory can’t be correct.

The age of our universe is stated to be more than 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion) years old and the universe is said to periodically expand and contract—respire—at 2-billion-year intervals. Current observations, however, suggest that the true age of the universe is approximately 13.7 billion years. The big bang theory is not supported.
I don’t think the big bang theory is correct. Everything in our material world is vibrating and oscillating, so how can de universe just be exploding? Moreover, the rate of expansion of the universe is currently accelerating. Astronomers/cosmologists even had to invent the concept of 'dark energy' to explain this fact. I think Einstein’s so called 'cosmological constant' (introduced to correct 'general relativity theory' to account for observed universe expansion), may not be a constant but a variable. And recent observations suggest that the universe is much older than 13.7 billion years: http://forums.truthbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3548, which invalidates the big bang theory.

Some species are said to have evolved suddenly from single mutations without transitional species. The theory originated with Dutch botanist Hugo De Vries, but was short-lived and is not now supported.
Actually, the modern academic consensus is that the biological evolution of a species proceeds in short bursts of genetic change followed by long periods of relative genetic stability. And, remarkably, the Wikipedia article doesn’t mention the '48 chromosomes issue' (which is explained here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3196&start=15). One explanation for the fact that humans have 46 chromosomes instead of 48 (like all other big apes) is that somewhere along the path of human evolution 2 of our 48 chromosomes fused with 2 other chromosomes to produce 46 chromosomes. If this is what makes us distinctly human, then it must indeed have been a sudden (discrete) evolutionary leap.

According to The Urantia Book, multi-colored human races originated suddenly in one generation and in one family, producing brothers and sisters that variously turned blue, yellow, red, green, orange, and indigo when exposed to sunlight. Their offspring subsequently favored the parent color. Later, Adam and Eve produced a violet race. In the book's account, the blue, yellow, and red races were considered "primary", and the green, orange, and indigo "secondary". The green and orange races were driven to extinction, and the rest mixed over time. Modern evolutionary theory does not support this account.
That is true, but neither does "modern evolutionary theory" disprove the possible existence of multi-colored ancient human races. So, this doesn’t invalidate The Urantia Book.

The book repeats the idea prevalent at the time of its origin that one side of the planet Mercury always faces the sun due to tidal locking. In 1965, radio astronomers discovered that Mercury actually rotates fast enough for all sides to see exposure to the sun. In the same passage, the book states that tidal friction will slow the rotation of a planet or other orbiting body "until axial revolution ceases". However, current understanding is that revolutions do not cease, but stabilize such that the time to complete one revolution will become equal to the time needed to complete an orbit.
I don’t quite understand this. It seems to me that if the time it takes a planet to complete one axial revolution equals the time it takes to complete one solar orbit, then one side of the planet will always face the sun. ;)

The book says that a solar eclipse was predicted in 1808 by the Native American prophet Tenskwatawa. The eclipse was actually predicted in late April 1806 and occurred on June 16, 1806. However, the revision committee of the book changed in 2008 the date of the prediction to 1806, because it was believed it was a keystroke mistake in the transcription. [4]
So, this is probably a transcription error..
Last edited by Bart on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:15 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:47 am +0000

I thank all of you for the quick replies to this topic. It has helped me, especially the breakdown of the wikipedia article. You guys are right about faith being tested. I should not allow a small article to repress what I feel is true. Anyway, my faith is not yet complete, but it is very much bolstered by what I have read here. Thank you all so much in helping me fill the God shaped hole that is in all of us. :smile:

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 am +0000

nebadonomega wrote: It is all thanks to wikipedia.com and what they have to say about the Urantia Book, how it talks about scientific inconsistencies and things that really cast the Urantia Book in a bad light. You have to read it for yourself. I guess my main problem is that the scientific information provided is still as of yet unproven.

Please do appreciate that Wikipedia is open to be edited and added to by just about anyone who takes the time to hook up with them and that there are a lot of people out there who are opposed to the Urantia Book simply because they are ATHEISTS.

I ended a 34 year friendship because my friend had to viciously attack the UB and everything it stood for one day as we talked, and he was not going to let me get a word in edgewise. He shouted me down and yelled over me with great anger, and then finally just hung up on me. He'd never so much as read a single page of the UB.

I've seen google searches turn up the same kinds of people out there, calling the UB a cult, and ascribing all sorts of bizarre things to it's followers that were just not at all true, and another bunch on Facebook saying it was from the aliens.

So don't take Wikipedia at all seriously when it comes to the UB. There's a lot of good information on it, but it's far from being an authority, and you have to take what it says with a grain of salt.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:03 pm +0000

Well put Amy...I had a similar experience that I had to walk away from...I wonder how many close relationships there are where both read the book...that would be wonderful...

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:22 pm +0000

I read that wikepedia article along time ago, and I went on my own mission to find out what was going on. I discovered that A few of so-called scientific problems in the urantia book where because the reader mis-read a sentence. We gota remember that this was wrote for the 1930's so even basic terminology and words used backed then meant something different then it does now. Even something simple as Energy is given so many different meaning's in the Urantia Book. The urantia book also does have some very high level sentence's that if you just read without care you will completely miss what they are saying.

In the end though if you give it a chance, you will find much more that supports every statement as opposed to the one argument that does not.

Trust me friend its a revelation, the book will prove itself to you, the book came to me in a dream when I was 16 and since then I guess its been easier for me to just accept its authenticity but I still gave it alot of scrutiny in the past.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:01 pm +0000

Greetings, I'm John. I will try to respond to your loss of faith. I too was so taken with the Ubook it was all I could talk about. That was the problem for me. I had to back off for a number of years because I was becomming that religeous freak people like to avoid. In taking a break I gained perspective. I found you could do far more good in the world just by doing good. I learned to be of service to my fellows without the sermon. Only when I recognize a real spiritual hunger do I even bring up the topic.
My understanding of faith has also evolved. I see it very simpley. I have faith in my sonship with God and my assurance of personality survival. I recognize all as brothers and sisters because the Father lives in them as well. The commandment that covers all is "Be excellent to each other." My faith is not in the Ubook but in the philosophy of religeon that it reveals. I believe because it reasons. Will we encounter the celestial entities described in it's text? Perhaps. I cannot profess to KNOW. I do although look forward to finding out when my dirt nap comes around. I hope my perspective gives you food for thought.
Yours in the Supreme, John.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 pm +0000

Hi John...sounds like you are walkin' the walk...not just talkin' the talk..to recognize the spirit with in and go about my day to be of service is a wonderful way to live...to walk as Jesus did and peacefully go about my day...I am human and have my "moments" but can return to center fairly soon...once I make the situation "Pono" as we say here in Hawaii...to make right...my peace returns...Aloha

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 pm +0000

Hey john I can relate man. the U.B book came to me in a dream and I was ubssessed with it. I would read it for 4 hours straight every night the same pages over and over and over again I must of it read the book a million times lol. People started to avoid me. I hear what you are saying :). I thought |I knew everything...... hahaha now I realize I knew nothing, all I care about is loving people and god.....

In regard's to this gentlemen's question I have done research on alll the argument's against the Urantia Book and none of them are valid. You can post any argument against the book scientifically and I will give you proof of how all the science in U.B is based on real fact's and being proven accurate.

Throw some of you question's out on this board, and let us give you some argument's proving the U.B book to be true to whatever statment you think is false, you seem like you are just letting some no-body's tell you that the U.b book is false because they are predisposed to think so and found some so-called error's, trust me man there are no error's in the book maybe a few apostrophy's in the wrong place's and a few comma's but nothing more I put this book threw all the test's.
Post a reply