Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:16 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Interesting....well, when I first picked up the book off a coffee table...I started shaking all over and started to cry...and this was after years of reading other spiritual book of thought...

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

As a new reader myself, I also was looking for something to prove that Urantia is real. The proof has come to me in the form of my personal relationship with God. I am learnig that as with any other relationship, we get out of it what we put in. I am seeking to find God and it has been said that he who seeks shall find. All I have to do, is remind myself of that and trust that this is so. After realizing that it certainly would not hurt any to believe this, I was better able to "let go" of my ego and trust that I will find. As I read, my faith has been getting stronger and I am better able to see with my spiritual eyes which has been a real blessing.
As far as praying, for me it has been a practice. Like exercise for the body, we must do it everyday even if we are not feeling it. Eventually it becomes a healthy habit and if you don't do it for one day, you feel like you are missing something! I have found that if I at least make a little time to do it everyday, it gets easier and easier and more fulfilling. Just give yourself time and don't be hard on yourself or the world around you.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted:  

Well said, Vance. Personal experience is where the rubber meets the road.

PostPosted:  

ditto for me too Vance...

I find that God and Jesus is my very first thought in the morning...what a better way to start my day...and when I first put my feet on the floor it is like reporting in to do thy will...relying on the holy spirit to shine the light on my path in doing good as I go about my day...

PostPosted:  

Doing God's will is not a mechanical duty. It is a voluntary submission of one's will to God's in Deity presence.

PostPosted:  

oh absolutely...it is my will that thy will be done...

didn't mean to give any other impression...like I was in the military and HAD to submit... :-s

PostPosted:  

Yes, we have the choice to accept God and do his will. Some people, like myself, have never had any spirituality in their lives; so when I discovered that God was something that I could actually experience, I then had to learn how to go about the experience. I had to get into a habit of praying, meditating, reading etc., while be conscious of my journey ahead of me, knowing that this will not come overnight. I am enjoying this spiritual journey and I enjoy putting the "work" into it. I can tell I am evolving into a more God conscious person because of it. I certainly don't mean to make it sound like one must be mechanical in their search for God. I was just trying to help out. :smile:

PostPosted:  

Hello!I have never been an athiest but I think it is human nature to question.. sometimes I feel like I am waiting for some sign or something amazing to happen to let me know what to do or if I am doing/beleiving the right thing but I have learned the best way to know is to have faith... make the best decisions in your heart as you see and when you go a little ways like this ,look back it will all come clear. Life is such a journey and maybe the urantia book came by just when u needed it.

PostPosted:  

Hi Nicki Jane,
Well the UB did,as you say, in fact come by just as I needed it.
It is a discovery well worth discovering.It was like gold laying upon top of the ground,no digging required.
It took me about 9 months after my discovery to make my transition away from traditional religion or I should say my leap and believe.
And for humor sake that 9 months is about the time required for a birth so it was time.
Yes it is human nature to question and in traditional religion it is taught not to question God but if we did not then how would we have otherwise recieved the UB and since God is our Father he would be in no way upset if we questioned him on any topic we could think of.I personally think he enjoys being asked .After all he is a Father.
I read much but do not post much but your comment caught my eye.

PostPosted:  

Hey Earl! Cool.. its so strange TUB came by in my life after a series of i feel little personal spiritual revelations about myself that grew on eachother untill i found the book.. interesting how things happen.

PostPosted:  

Hello again Nicki Jane,
Yes it is in fact strange how the TUB comes into peoples lives.
I have a short story you might like to hear.Ill keep it short as possible.
I have been visiting or sitting in on a traditional sunday school off and on for a while and has become somewhat attatched to the group there.After a while there I thought that meby just meby one of the group might be interested in the UB.After hearing all their prayers of spiritual need for guidance over and over I thought I would give the UB to the class teacher who was I thought honestly and patiently waiting upon the Lord for revelation.
After a morning class I handed this teacher the UB and said keep it as long as you want.
Three months went by and no hint of the UB came.No questions at all came from this gift of hidden manna .Then this past sunday I saw it sitting on a shelf in the classroom with assorted other books.Not one bit of conversation came fourth about the book.It appeared to me the UB was somewhat dropped off in more or less a return book pile.
My point is, is what many so dearly pray to God to recieve in revelation they look far beyond what they are holding in their hands.I concluded that day I was wrong in my assumption that this person was truly seeking greater truth.Even if part 1,2,and 3 of the book was incomprehensible surely part 4 was not.This conclusion is based on the fact that after 3 months of waithng for at least one question about the UB never came.This is not the first time of such things but is most recent.
I believe when the sincere desire to know truth is declared within oneself the Father does not let us down.
How strange it (also)is in that many will have the TUB come into their lives but will let it slip away.

PostPosted:  

Greetings, my name is John and I have a similar backgroud. I always had a sense that God was real but found religions lacking. I discovered the Ubook 30 years ago and have read it twice through. The question should not be is the book real, but does the philosopy reason. The Urantia book even disclaims itself as not the whole thuth or even a holy writing. It is not the new Bible. It's just information.
It's true value is in the discussion that it fosters through socialization of it's meanings and values. You need not look to outside entities to verify it's validity when your own mind and spirit have the capacity to realize and recognise truth. Most of the readers I have known experience a thruth moment. When you read something in the book that makes you go "Oh hell yeah! That makes sense!". For me it was the meaning of the death on the cross in the Jesus papers.
My over-riding question going in was : is God sane? The god of the bible, if analized by an F.B.I. profiler, would be described as a schitsophrenic psycopath. The God of the Urantia Book has a philosophy that reasons and appears to be a sane diety. We humans are new spirits with the most limited of perspectives but we can understand much about the nature of God by the example of Jesus' teachings in the Jesus papers. The alignment of our nature with God's would seem to be through the practice of loving service to our fellow beings because we are able to recognize the God resident within them because we are all his children. I see no greater blasphemy in the univeres than the killing of one child of God by another child of God in the name of God. In recognizing all as brothers and bearing malice towards none we begine to understand God's nature in us.
Read the book and keep questioning. Use your mind and spirit to evaluate what you read and find your own relative truth. When we decide to believe this guy or that guy, this book or that book, we tend to suspend reason in favor of rote belief. Whatever you ultimatley decide you want to believe never submit to stagnation of mind, question your own righteousness daily, and maintain perspective that enables you to accept others rather than judge them.
Best of luck in your quest, John.

PostPosted:  

Outstanding counsel, John.