Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Tension
PostPosted:  

Well worth the effort to read for those seeking an ever-overflowing source of revelation, a bottle of champagne and a little company. LOL Thanks.

From what little I understand about tension...inseperable from experience.

Anything inseperable from experience retains tension. Experience yields truth and truth resolves all tensions. That's a basic tenant of relationship.

I think we experience truth tensions, goodness tensions and beauty tensions as a consequence of mortal existance. All sons of all ages perhaps?

How do we experience tensions in our lives?
For the purposes of this thread let us think in terms of we, ourself and I. We all experience tensions in the affairs of our times, family issues, welfare and health. Our tension relationships with these experiences are set by habits aquired. Let's just consider tensions as either an exercise of mind or a means of relationship.

I remember when I first was offered the opportunity to re-consider the holiness of the Blood. Reading the Urantia Book in a driving rain. Cold rain. The kind that makes you feel alone. One of those too rare moments...undisturbable, centered. Memories of the happiest of times invite themselves for consideration, but, it's not the absence of joy that draws me. I'm hungry for something else, something new or improved upon. That's when my attention was drawn to the issue of the Blood and the Attonement Doctrines of the Christian era.
For me, this was walking on Holy ground. Tensions were high. I confess a combative attitude.

A few years later the only tensions that remain are a heart-felt desire to help anyone to know what the UB teaches. To see something of what is added to the glory of experiencing Jesus.

We each deal with will tensions as a consequence of having choices. I'm thinking that's true in developing our personal tastes and attitudes, prejudices and sense of moral rightness. Inescapable tensions preemptively resovled. (That's the Blood). For UB followers it's an invitation to responsible sonship. IMHO.

Bill

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

'' A few years later the only tensions that remain are a heart-felt desire to help anyone to know what the UB teaches.

To see something of what is added to the glory of experiencing Jesus.''

''From what little I understand about tension...inseperable from experience.

Anything inseperable from experience retains tension. Experience yields truth and truth resolves all tensions. That's a basic tenant of relationship.''

Profound Bill ... :wink:

AMEN Brother AMEN

A Brotherly Hug to ALL

PostPosted:  

Wow , after reading all of these posts , I had to check a second time to make sure that I was in the skeptics corner .... :biggrin: :biggrin: , very convincing corner is what I would call it when everyone gets along like that .....very nice , you've all convinced me to keep coming back . O:) :D

PostPosted:  

tootsie, you got that right. It's one thing to know something in your mind and another to know it in your experience. The outworking of our will, as expressed in this unique mortal experience, equals our sonship survival value...it's what we awaken with on the newer worlds.

It is the will. But do we have an understanding or enlightened appreciation for what that means? It has taken a lifetime to learn that life has universal value. I never used to really trust that god was good to his word. Thanks to the UB and an inward awareness of an unknown spirit potential progressively being expressed in mortal man, I found myself in time to desire and trust in god as Father. The UB liberates the human mind. It also liberates ministrations of spirit to man as an actualizeable potential. We learn to live with god...whomever we consider that to be is but another means of saying "relationship".

I learned that I am, have been slothful to an undesireable degree. I was offered the courage to combat this in my life but I tire. I had four decades of productive years. Years since I adopted sonship. Years I'm happy with. Years that witnessed the adaptation to varying tensions that our times require.

We are initiated into life on an unusually tension hidden planet.

Gotta go for Christmas dinner. Bless you all.

Bill

PostPosted:  

Having the head knowledge that I was a daughter of God didn't do much for my sense of security. I have had to grow into knowing in my being/skin that I really was/am free to just "be me". But there were a lot of years of tension and temper tantrums before I came to that awareness.

Peace
Jo

Don't know if this had anything to do with the topic but...there it is!

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

Thanks, jak. I'm trying to move to a position where we consider "tension" as a personally known series of processes.
Your comments help.

Bill

PostPosted:  

Quote:
56.6.1 6. UNIFICATION OF EVOLUTIONARY DEITY When the three eternal persons of Deity function as undivided Deity in the Paradise Trinity, they achieve perfect unity; likewise, when they create, either associatively or severally, their Paradise progeny exhibit the characteristic unity of divinity. And this divinity of purpose manifested by the Supreme Creators and Rulers of the time-space domains eventuates in the unifying power potential of the sovereignty of experiential supremacy which, in the presence of the impersonal energy unity of the universe, constitutes a reality tension that can be resolved only through adequate unification with the experiential personality realities of experiential Deity.

In the Science section of the forum (Reality and the Mandelbrot set) I present a simple model of complex dynamic reality, which might formally explain the above notion of tension. The model is a chaotic oscillation of a dimensionless point in space that contains all the energy present in the universe by its near infinite speed and momentum. The inherent order of such a chaotic system is revealed in specific fractions or phase projections of the infinite trajectory of the point in space. Such projections reveal infinitely intricate self-similar structures, and reveal the shape of the so called chaotic attractor of the system.

According to this model, all life and all material structure at any scale in our universal projection is drawn towards a complex master pattern present in the overall attractor of the system. This attractor represents in the model what the U.B. calls tension. And its attraction assures experiential unification of our consciousness with Deity in self-similar universal patterns.. :)

Greetings, Bart

PostPosted:  

tension is the magnitude of the pulling force exerted by a string, cable, chain, or similar object on another object. It is the opposite of compression.
There are two basic possibilities for systems of objects held by strings.Either acceleration is zero and the system is therefore in equilibrium or there is acceleration and therefore a net force is present. Note that a string is assumed to have negligible mass.

PostPosted:  

Hi sherya mathur,

Are you talking about quantum string theory? :) Suppose we are a (vibrating) string or snare under tension. We will experience this tension as a force that’s constantly pulling us to the equilibrium state (or minimum entropy state) of the string. In chaos-theory this is called the (gravitational) attractor of the system.

By the way, this has little or nothing to do with quantum string theory, in which our material world is composed of (massless) quantum strings instead of quantum particles; unless we assume that all these individual strings in our finite reality are actually one single infinite string in absolute reality, which would be quite a diversion from quantum string theories, and a conversion with mathematical chaos theory.. :)

Greetings, Bart

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

It's my supposition that quantum string theory is simply another artifice being used to attempt to tie together scientific inquiry that has bumped into a wall. The wall being that material reality (as well as mathematics) is permeated and infused by spirit. Matter and spirit are the two extremes of the dichotomy of reality -- what ties them together is philosophy -- science (nor math) can't do it alone. Whatever, please attempt to make these discussions relate to the teachings of The Urantia Book -- these complex and esoteric sciences are essentially at odds the simplicity of the design of the cosmos as presented by TUB.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Well...back on topic a bit:

I'm supposing the transformation from God the Absolute to God the Supreme would necessarily achieve a balancing of tensions. The process is reflected in human experience in the building of our moral character.

Odd to consider moral tension as so central a reality in the growth of evolving eventuations. Civilization itself only truly grows as reflected in moral connectedness...commonness of assumption.

Hmmm...how equal we all are.

PostPosted:  

Uncle Bill wrote:
I'm supposing the transformation from God the Absolute to God the Supreme would necessarily achieve a balancing of tensions. The process is reflected in human experience in the building of our moral character.

Hello Uncle Bill,

I'm not meaning to undermine your general premise, only to clarify part of your statement. God is not transforming from God the Absolute to God the Supreme. The Supreme precedes the Absolute. The progression is: 1) God the Supreme; 2) God the Sevenfold; 3) God the Ultimate; and finally 4) God the Absolute, who identifies with the Unqualified Absolute. TUB says that God the Absolute is only a possibility. (0:2.7-15; 0.7.1,4;0.9.4;0;10.1-2;0.12.2,4,8;56.4.3;118.2.5)

Quote:
106.6.6 But in regard to the conceivable values of divinity and personality, these conjectured happenings imply the personalization of the Deity Absolute and the appearance of those superpersonal values and those ultrapersonal meanings inherent in the personality completion of God the Absolute — the third and last of the experiential Deities.

Uncle Bill wrote:
Odd to consider moral tension as so central a reality in the growth of evolving eventuations. Civilization itself only truly grows as reflected in moral connectedness...commonness of assumption.

I agree that moral tension is essential to moral growth in the individual, and as the individuals in society go, so goes the family, culture and civilization. But, I'm not sure about what you mean by the "commonness of assumption". Would you elaborate? Are you talking about public opinion or civic consciousness? TUB tells us that civilization grows due to a combination of factors, of which morality is only one.

Quote:
16:9.5 Civilizations are unstable because they are not cosmic; they are not innate in the individuals of the races. They must be nurtured by the combined contributions of the constitutive factors of man—science, morality, and religion. Civilizations come and go, but science, morality, and religion always survive the crash.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for the correction, Bonita.

The "commonness of assumption", from a morality point of view, does encompass pubic opinion and is reflected in civic consciousness. It is a shared mindset that is created by grouping assumptions. For instance, I don't know you, but, because of the times in which we live I can confidently assume that you have access to fire. Matches, a Bic or something relatively close by. I can assume you know what to do with it and I don't need to fear.

The "commonness of assumption" is that unspoken doctrine of propriety that is an intimate part of any relationship. That "sense of right". Innate civility favoring enlightened mutual interest. Commonness of experience...like sonship.

In a manner, I suppose this "commonness of assumption" equates to "resolved tensions".

Anyway, that's, as you point out, only part of picture. We still have the tensions of science and the tensions of religion to add to our thinking-experiment.

Any ideas?

PostPosted:  

It's an interesting question Uncle Bill. For years I worked with people who constantly complained about stress in their lives. They sought out spas, massages, yoga, medications, vacations, addictions, you name it to avoid the stress in their lives. The fact that I never complained about stress really PO'd my colleagues who usually thought of me as some kind of alien. The secret I had was from a personal revelation, or realization, that stress is a good thing. What makes it difficult for some folks is the dysfunctional way they deal with stress.

Stress is a good thing; it is distress which is not good. Not dealing with stress well results in distress. So, all those folks complaining about stress were really having distress because they had inadequate stress coping methods, methods I learned from TUB. Think about it, there's ease and disease, ability and disability, advantage and disadvantage, stress and distress. Stress is a good thing and so is the tension it causes. Look at a muscle, a muscle without stress is flaccid, weak and useless. Stress is necessary in order to develop tension on the muscle, which puts it to work and makes it useful. We exercise our body's muscles, we should also exercise our soul's muscles.

Quote:
1097:7 100:4.3 But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the soul powers of the personality by the dominance of LOVE. Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems. Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.

p1642:2 146:3.6 "While you cannot observe the divine spirit at work in your minds, there is a practical method of discovering the degree to which you have yielded the control of your soul powers to the teaching and guidance of this indwelling spirit of the heavenly Father, and that is the degree of your love for your fellow men.

PostPosted:  

Yes. Happily we know this thanks to the FER.

Actually, I've been thninking about presenting the idea: In a cosmic economy, what is the product of our planet?

On this thread I'm interested in opinions concerning the possible tensions that idea might relieve and produce.

Your personalization of tension is physically and intellectually...knowable. The evolving soul, the "son" within us, is the most intimate of experiences. The evolution of our moral character. Therein is the fancy-free flow of time and experience where we experience moral tension. As individuals, we willfully participate in the process. I questimate 12% know this while I'm certain 100% of us are experiencing it.

Product-thinking could get dangerous, eh?