Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:32 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The Urantia Book treats astrology as a pseudo-science and yet admits its popularity even among intelligent men in modern times.

Quote:

88:6.5 Magic was the branch off the evolutionary religious tree which eventually bore the fruit of a scientific age. Belief in astrology led to the development of astronomy; belief in a philosopher`s stone led to the mastery of metals, while belief in magic numbers founded the science of mathematics.

88:6.7 Gradually science is removing the gambling element from life. But if modern methods of education should fail, there would be an almost immediate reversion to the primitive beliefs in magic. These superstitions still linger in the minds of many so-called civilized people. Language contains many fossils which testify that the race has long been steeped in magical superstition, such words as spellbound, ill-starred, possessions, inspiration, spirit away, ingenuity, entrancing, thunderstruck, and astonished. And intelligent human beings still believe in good luck, the evil eye, and astrology.

90:2.5 The medicine men put great trust in signs and omens, such as, “When you hear the sound of a rustling in the tops of the mulberry trees, then shall you bestir yourself. ”Very early in the history of the race the shamans turned their attention to the stars. Primitive astrology was a world-wide belief and practice; dream interpreting also became widespread. All this was soon followed by the appearance of those temperamental shamanesses who professed to be able to communicate with the spirits of the dead.

90:2.7 Again and again did the Caesars banish the astrologers, but they invariably returned because of the popular belief in their powers. They could not be driven out, and even in the sixteenth century after Christ the directors of Occidental church and state were the patrons of astrology. Thousands of supposedly intelligent people still believe that one may be born under the domination of a lucky or an unlucky star; that the juxtaposition of the heavenly bodies determines the outcome of various terrestrial adventures. Fortunetellers are still patronized by the credulous.

95:1.7 This defeat of the Salem gospel was immediately followed by a great increase in the cult of Ishtar, a ritual which had already invaded Palestine as Ashtoreth, Egypt as Isis, Greece as Aphrodite, and the northern tribes as Astarte. And it was in connection with this revival of the worship of Ishtar that the Babylonian priests turned anew to stargazing; astrology experienced its last great Mesopotamian revival, fortunetelling became the vogue, and for centuries the priesthood increasingly deteriorated.

121:5.5 3. astrology. This pseudo science of Babylon developed into a religion throughout the Greco-Roman Empire. Even in the twentieth century man has not been fully delivered from this superstitious belief.

150:3.3 1. The courses of the stars in the heavens have nothing whatever to do with the events of human life on earth. Astronomy is a proper pursuit of science, but astrology is a mass of superstitious error which has no place in the gospel of the kingdom.

Even the so-called intelligent people who believe in astrology have some reasons to justify those belief. There are even computer programmes that could provide a psychological and attitudinal profile of a person based on his birth time and other information and provide pages of other predictions. All these predictions may not be correct, but a good portion of these predictions appear as correct to the person concerned as he can draw from his life experiences and personality features known to him. I myself has found partial truths in such predictions and often wonder how such things are made possible.

As the UB revelators tell us, it could be due to our own limitations of knowledge and understandings.

Any comments ?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Rajan,

I agree that there is some reason to justify a belief in astrology, just as there is to believe in the I Ching and in horoscopes. These systems provide positive feedback of such a general type that almost anyone can find reason to think the words apply directly to them. That coupled with an understanding that there appear to be 12 basic human personality types fits well with the 12 signs of the zodiac and can result in many "coincidences" which help justify belief that they're based in some kind of higher truth. Human beings do like mysteries and do enjoy positive feedback; those may be the main reasons for the popularity of the back pages of the newspaper.

Quote:
36:2.4 The number ten—the decimal system—is inherent in the physical universe but not in the spiritual. The domain of life is characterized by three, seven, and twelve or by multiples and combinations of these basic numbers. There are three primal and essentially different life plans, after the order of the three Paradise Sources and Centers, and in the universe of Nebadon these three basic forms of life are segregated on three different types of planets. There were, originally, twelve distinct and divine concepts of transmissible life. This number twelve, with its subdivisions and multiples, runs throughout all basic life patterns of all seven superuniverses. There are also seven architectural types of life design, fundamental arrangements of the reproducing configurations of living matter. The Orvonton life patterns are configured as twelve inheritance carriers. The differing orders of will creatures are configured as 12, 24, 48, 96, 192, 384, and 768. On Urantia there are forty-eight units of pattern control—trait determiners—in the sex cells of human reproduction.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

111:4.6 Snow crystals are always hexagonal in form, but no two are ever alike. Children conform to types, but no two are exactly alike, even in the case of twins. Personality follows types but is always unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In this world humans have been overwhelmed by so much that as he has developed a better command of his environments the idea of control was like an elixir that’s taste was too good to let go of, thus ever since man has been seeking, defending and creating denial around all his forms of control in order to feel safe in a world that is not always so.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I think it's man's earnest attempt to know what's going to happen to him. To know the future. Some for the shear fun of it. but it can get serious with the numerous future-telling things out there. Look at the importance put in Revelations...we don't live in the moment, the now...either thinking of the past or the future...like right now I am planning my evening :wink: and when we don't trust our own thinking we seek the toys to direct or reassure us...

IMHO...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Astrology is part of man's natural instinct to know who he is. "Who am I?" we ask, when we are having existential angst -- in college, after a divorce, in times of crisis. "What is right for me to do? Oh! I know! According to my birthdate, I am a [Capricorn, Aquarian, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio or Sagittarian]" and "Aha! These are my characteristics and traits, strengths and weaknesses (even my body type), and so now I know what is expected of me." And so we begin to put our persona together for ourselves based on what we discovered about our astrological type. And if our sun sign is too far afield of what we know innately about ourself, it is easy enough to say, "Well, it's the influence of my rising sign " or "My moon is in Libra" or something to rationalize and justify why we behave the way we do.

Obviously not everybody resorts to astrology for an understanding of who they are, but a lot of people use this as a start on self-identification on a deeper level than DNA, blood type and fingerprints.

My two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi All,

I have always found it interesting that people of one "sign" or another happen to share certain characteristics...this may indicate a "type" of personality, as Larry has pointed out. But even so, astrology seems to say that people are predestined to act in a certain way, depending on their "type." This could not be farther from the truth, as there is always the variable of freewill choice. Even though we may have tendencies to act in certain ways, we can always choose a different way. Same with inherited tendencies...nothing is etched in stone in the material universe - only God is the one constant - all else is subject to change. In any moment, we make the choice. This is the biggest drawback that I see in astrology - it can lead an unsuspecting (or lazy), soul to believe that they are doomed to this or that outcome...it does not inspire action to overcome life's difficulties.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p1204:5 110:2.1 When Thought Adjusters indwell human minds, they bring with them the model careers, the ideal lives, as determined and foreordained by themselves and the Personalized Adjusters of Divinington, which have been certified by the Personalized Adjuster of Urantia. Thus they begin work with a definite and predetermined plan for the intellectual and spiritual development of their human subjects, but it is not incumbent upon any human being to accept this plan. You are all subjects of predestination, but it is not foreordained that you must accept this divine predestination; you are at full liberty to reject any part or all of the Thought Adjusters' program. It is their mission to effect such mind changes and to make such spiritual adjustments as you may willingly and intelligently authorize, to the end that they may gain more influence over the personality directionization; but under no circumstances do these divine Monitors ever take advantage of you or in any way arbitrarily influence you in your choices and decisions. The Adjusters respect your sovereignty of personality; they are always subservient to your will.

p848:6 76:2.6 The observation of Abel's conduct establishes the value of environment and education as factors in character development. Abel had an ideal inheritance, and heredity lies at the bottom of all character; but the influence of an inferior environment virtually neutralized this magnificent inheritance. Abel, especially during his younger years, was greatly influenced by his unfavorable surroundings. He would have become an entirely different person had he lived to be twenty-five or thirty; his superb inheritance would then have shown itself. While a good environment cannot contribute much toward really overcoming the character handicaps of a base heredity, a bad environment can very effectively spoil an excellent inheritance, at least during the younger years of life. Good social environment and proper education are indispensable soil and atmosphere for getting the most out of a good inheritance.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I thought it was a very sad day in America when the education system in some state decided to adopt an astrology class as a collage accredited class... Thus, giving those that have shaped a fictional belief system, some kind of pseudo legitimacy.

Once again, money over intelligence.

So many in this country and world still hang on to Rabbits foots, become fearful if they brake a mirror, avoid walking under ladders, ect..ect..ect. how long till the human race grows up.

What a slow march the evolution of human mind potential. This just magnifies that our world is yet ready for much that the U.B. has to offer. So sad.

All we can do is "Stay True To The Journey"

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:

What a slow march the evolution of human mind potential. This just magnifies that our world is yet ready for much that the U.B. has to offer. So sad.

All we can do is "Stay True To The Journey"

I fully agree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi all.

And, again, the UB fails to explain the truth about the truth, IMO. The fact remains that many things can be, and have been, more importantly, predicted and calculated by observing of the stars. More generally speaking, the moon's phases of being waning, or waxing have been noticed greatly by normal unsuperstitious people who don't know a thing about magick or astrology. Therefore, they are independent and exempt, using the common sense approach, from false accusations of superstition from the UB authors.

Furthermore, it doesn't take much to really and honestly look at history and those who painstakingly used astrology to calculate someone's life to know that it works. The first time it's right, we can assume it was luck, per se. The second time it's right, we can again say luck. But, after more than a thousand times of looking into history, and those that used it, more notably Dr John Dee of Queen Elizabeth in the 16th century, we must stop lying to ourselves and give to it the respect it deserves as a true form of understanding life.

As I have said before, I truly have hope in the UB. However, there are things like this that just don't add up. If, let's say, astrology was a hoax, then how could we explain the many correct predictions it has made and continues to do so? If the UB is a hoax, obviously we can't prove or deny it since it deals with things yet to be known by the living. So, to each their own, I suppose. However, astrology is one of those things that says '"EXCEPTION" in bold letters. It's not magick at all, what a frivilous saying! Astrology, like other sciences, is a science of the blessed, well-knowledgable, and most understandable. Furthermore, it is one of the first sciences, and discoveries of mankind!

lux, vita, amor,

RS

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Solis, man can rationalize and justify anything -- even beliefs -- even the ones that come ... directly or indirectly ... from the Urantia Papers. The UB says astrology is/ [paraphrased: a bunch of bunk] has no bearing on our spirituality. I believe that. But I can also twist a concept within an inch of its life if I need to hang on to that for a while longer. So it idid not come as a surprise to me to find myself occasionally thinking, "Yeah, but, it (astrology) has to do with my personality pattern, which relates to me as a person, not as a spirit; it is not spiritual at all except in the most transcendental, far-reaching sense."

I believe this to be true particularly in the earlier stages of a soul's development, when it is still doing exercises of mastering the lessons of the seven adjutant mind spirits on the seventh, sixth, fifth or fourth psychic circle. Later on, after the personality has mastered the beast and is fairly well established, and after the third or higher psychic circle, it (astrology) is something we can take in stride, as it has served its purpose of being scaffolding for the development of our character towards self-mastery.

That's my two cents on it. Since I don't know anything except through faith, I sometimes find myself entertaining doubt, too. Not about the Urantia Book, of about the existence of God, but about myself, my own perceptions, my own beliefs, my own reality. Sometimes my paradigm has to be torn down so I can rise anew from my own ashes. There will not be any help forthcoming from my astrological chart at this point. I already know myself intimately. If I don't get it by now, that "this too shall pass" and that God will be there on the other side of my shadow, I probably never will.

There is a great deal to be said for "intellectual peace."

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Solis, the same can be said for reincarnation and ghosts. As Gerdean points out, anything can be rationalized, it just depends on your motivation and presumptions/assumptions. As a revelation The Urantia Book supplies us with a set of initial assumptions that can be relied in building a rational framework for beliefs that are true, beautiful, good and not ones that are based in wishful thinking, superstition, false understanding.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

"So be it unto you according to your faith". (perhaps the greatest of all truths in the bible, imho.)

Namaste'

Julie

PostPosted:  

Hi Solis, Larry, Gerdean and all.
I've been away for a while. Its nice to be back.
What does the UB say about clairvoyance and psychic phenomenon? Some people are more prone to that than others. Astrology may be more related to things like tarot readings and witches/ wizards/gypsys that many times are based on the one doing the reading's psychic talents. It may be as simple as the statement " Its not the thing it's your reaction to it". That whole realm is too haphazard for me. There might be a little something to it, but nothing to write home about.

The UB is far more powerful to me because it is connected to our everyday reality.
8)