Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:20 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thank you Mr. Watkins!!! But I must make clear that I am aware of and accept the titles of the cosmic authors of the Urantia Papers on faith as though they are true, but in the classrooms of today, anything which cannot be proven by the scientific method or by traditionaly accepted academic sources is prohibited, and personal opinions of religious faith presented as academic fact, could easily cost me my prospective profession, and may actually result in incarceration. Teachers are paid to teach; not proselytize.

Last edited by rhermen on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:42 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

[quote="rhermen"]While it's true that we mortals are often required to cite our sources, to criticize the revelator's use of human knowledge as plagiarism places them at the same level as human beings, which they're not nor never have been.[/quote]

Again from an educational or even academic standpoint the term "plagiarism" relevant to the UB has merit in my opinion. Because many assertions or direct quotes made in the UB cannot be authenticated from our mortal perspective. <end quote>

From Page 1048 - "Ikhnaton also wrote one hundred and thirty-seven hymns, twelve of which are now preserved in the old Testament Book of Psalms, credited to Hebrew authorship."

Hmmm, always knew there was a way to "prove" God is Jewish.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

From Page 1048 - "Ikhnaton also wrote one hundred and thirty-seven hymns, twelve of which are now preserved in the old Testament Book of Psalms, credited to Hebrew authorship."
Quote:
Hmmm, always knew there was a way to "prove" God is Jewish.

"The Ten Commandments" with Charleton Heston and Yul Brynner one of [predominantly Jewish] Hollywood's finest epics; should be enough to convince anyone of that...people often use their religious beliefs to "prove" how superior they are.

:lol: Yep!!! Thanks fetish-there is much to research here-if anyone has the time or inclination.

The Hebrews taking credit for the book of Psalms; some of which was written by the Egyptian Priest Ikhnaton; sure sounds like a case of plagiarism to me...but then how many aliases does Ikhnaton have? Why would an initiate of the temple mysteries [the ancient schools of the great pyramids] priestly class be given specific mention in the Urantia Book? How many other teachings of Ikhnaton remain in our world? Maybe he had something to do with the Mayan Calender, and then again maybe not...

Moses supposedly wrote the first five books of the old testament, The Torah, at a time when there supposedly was no written language. Could this also be plagiarism? Many non-traditional historians wonder from an academic perspective why there are no references to Israelites before Moses, "father" of the so-called Is-ra-elites, born a prince of Egypt, freed the "slaves" and left his homeland. Or maybe he was kicked out by those who felt they were being enslaved? How many aliases does Moses have? What was his given name at birth? Why do many of today's world leaders claim direct lineage to Moses? Could this be the meaning of "royalty"?

Maybe the "twelve tribes of Is-ra-el" were the very first corporation? And maybe "Yahweh" was the most profitable propaganda campaign founded on plagiarism? What is the Thirteenth Tribe of Is-ra-el, called Manasseh [the Eagle] by some?

Of course, to even begin to research any of these questions, one would either have to be very open minded or have lost their marbles, depending on how far one is willing to go in a personal Quest for Truth...I suppose if the UB has filled one's cup of Truth then one need look no further.

Traditional academic sources notwithstanding; there are many hidden clues in the UB if one looks. At the risk of sounding like "Spock" I find it all to be fascinating, but very difficult to discuss in the classrooms of today.

Quote:
Architecture sure needs an upgrade - dare we say a "new" way to use rocket-scientist cleverness...? Hey - how about a school that fuses human dwelling designs with aerodynamic and submarine technology...?

The UB teaches that we are mortals of the "two-brain" type and yet our modern educational methods as well as the scientific method of the western culture is predominantly left-brain in thinking process. When are we going to give our "other" brain a chance?

Left-brained mathematical formulae attempt to explain how, what, and where. Left-brained history attempts to explain when and who. Traditional left-brained religion attempts to explain why.

I believe the new cleverness will come from full integration of both left and right brain hemispheres. With more complete consciousness resulting from intergrated brain function which promotes greater understanding of reality; who knows what the future holds in the age of Light and Life?

There have been and there still are people of our world who demonstrate this integration, in my opinion. Nikola Tesla was one such scientist and his spirit-led work has been largely dismissed by the modern world, or has it?

Fusing human dwelling design with aerodynamic and submarine technology, sounds interstellar or at least interplanetary to me!!! But unfortunately, the traditional, left-brained, reaction-mass, rocket science won't get this school off the ground. We need a massless, replenishing, non-polluting, universal power source for this cosmic architecture...

Quote:
I fully agree with this general outline which you have presented. But I don't guess you asked any questions or offered any suggestions or theories as to how this wisdom and insight from the Urantia Book is going to make it into the hands of the beaurucratic educational establishment for consideration and/or implementation.

The Urantia Book has many qualities which preclude the wisdom and insight it contains from "making it into the hands of the bureaucratic educational establishment." Modern educational institutions cannot favor any religion over another according to the first amendment. How could they "officially" consider or implement a book which:

1) has no mortal author.

2) presents many facts [as cosmic Truth] which cannot be substantiated by traditional academic means.

3) challenges many of societies' traditional belief systems which are held to be sacred.

4) came into being from mysterious circumstances which cannot be investigated by conventional means and any attempt at explanation falls short.

5) represents the souce of an extremely small minority faith movement which by conventional definition is a cult.

Given these attributes; its no wonder the UB is not popular with most people.

I'm sure there are more obstacles but that's all I can think of at present. In matters of religious faith, the public school system must remain neutral at the current level of society. It cannot favor the UB over the Bible, Koran, or any other such book while on school time. TruthBook members are invited to search the NEA website on religion for a better understanding of this. Here's a few quotes from one such article entitiled Navigating Religion in the Classroom:

"Educators are teaching about religion, respecting the First Amendment call for a separation of church and state--and keeping their own faith."

"If a child were to ask me about my religion in class, I would tell him he would have to see me after class," says Speed, who teaches creative writing at Green Oaks High School in Shreveport, Louisiana. "I come in with a lesson plan, and my personal religious beliefs are not part of that."

TruthBook members who are so inclined may read the entire article here:

http://www.nea.org/neatoday/0211/cover.html

Teachers are paid to teach; not proselytize. If a student were to ask me about my religion in class I believe I'd have to tell them to see me after class. But I also think there might be more than one way to "unofficially" bring awareness of the UB to individual students, parents, or teachers in an effort to plant the seeds of tomorrow. I realize some TruthBook members have attempted to give possible ways to do this and I appreciate it, but there are rules...even as TruthBook has rules on what it will permit to be discussed on these forums.

Many schools permit something called "meeting at the flag" for individual or group religious observance. This is a growing movement and usually takes place before school starts in front of school by the state and federal flags flying in the school courtyard. For around 20 minutes or so, students can engage in prayer, reading the bible and other spiritually uplifting books or material. The Urantia Book could be discussed at this time by an individual [student or teacher] who is willing to take a chance with quotes from such an unconventional book.

The concepts of teamwork, cooperation, and loyalty are very important to modern educators [as well as the revelators]. Mostly these concepts are taught in relationship to sports. And sports are traditionally based on competition, winning, and loyalty to one's school. I suspect there are ways to incorporate the teachings of the UB relevant to these concepts in the classrooms of today, but I could not specifically mention the Urantia Book during class. In our world, cooperation is often disguised as competition.

Also, for example, the Urantia Foundation, in conjuction with the entire Urantia Faith Movement, could conceivably open a private School of Urantia; perhaps near Chicago, to teach the wisdom and insight of the UB from an academic as well as spiritual perspective. Of course this would be very difficult as it would require private funding...Uncle Sam wouldn't pay for it...but it would demonstrate great teamwork, cooperation, loyalty, and commitment to the FER if UB readers are willing to take a risk.

I'm looking for ways to present socially uplifting and community building concepts [right-brain], but not specific facts [left-brain], and I'm open to suggestions on how to do this. I hope this clarifies my reasons for starting this thread.

Last edited by rhermen on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:58 pm +0000, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: academic papers
PostPosted:  

Are you talking about academic papers or something else?! Umm. There is a good page for academic papers perhaps!
Also,you can find some other content on it,such as achat hotel or venetian blind or increase sales.
You can search on the homepage try some other keywords,no ads even.these page updated every day.Because of the huge database,it perhaps not very fast,if you don't like it,take it easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Regarding teaching kids how to live in tomorrow's world, the US Education System receives a failing grade. Examples below.

Last week I purchased a burger and fries at McDonalds for $3.58.

The counter girl took my $4.00 and I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies. While looking at the screen on her register, I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because it is a true story, and
Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s......

Teaching Math In 1950
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

! Teaching Math In 1980
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20 Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2006
The correct answers for the test are on the chalk board. Please mark your test paper as outlined on the board while we watch the movie A Beautiful Mind directed by Opie Taylor, good friend of Barney Fife, and Sheriff Taylor's son. Who knows the name of Opie's aunt? Hint: Second lettter in the alphabet which you learned in 5th grade.

Question: How many children fail the 2006 test because they don't read or speak English?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Howdy, folks.

Ray, I have had many such tragically comic experiences with todays youth. I try to laugh it off, but I actually find it deeply disturbing. Your description of the decline of US education is right on and got a chuckle out of me. Thank you very much. :smile:

So far as the language problem goes, to me, the answer is obvious. All of the people who can't speak English should fail the test, as the test should only be given in English. Everyone who attends US schools should be required to know or learn English. Anyone who desires to live in this country yet resists the obvious wisdom of learning the language of the land needs to be shown the error of his ways. Keeping in mind he is our brother. :wink:

I go to visit Cancun, Mexico, for 5 days, and I practice my Spanish for a month before I go. Why? Because it is useful. I can't imagine moving to Mexico, and then refusing to learn Spanish. Equally, I can't imagine moving to the US, and not learning English. :?

Maintaining a generous attitude does not include encouraging stupidity. O:)

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In many ways, the students of today don't want to think, they want to be entertained. Trust me, it's very difficult to entertain kids while teaching math and science, and in order to hold their attention, they must be constantly entertained. Because if learning isn't made fun, they will create their own fun, usually by disrupting the class. Entertainment has replaced religion as the opiate of the masses. While it's true there are some examples of today's youth who can't make proper change at a cash register, there are others who are so bored at the incredibly slow learning pace of most classrooms that school has lost their interest, and there are others who, depending on their community, use achievement in sports in lieu of academic achievement to make the grade. But this doesn't mean the students of today are dumb.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 26, 2005
President Bush Proposes New Education Initiative

In a January 12 speech at J.E. B. Stuart High School in Falls Church, VA, President George Bush outlined a proposal to extend educational testing and accountability requirements to public high schools across the nation. The 2001 "No Child Left Behind" Act required that states test all third- through eighth-grade students in math and reading (and, starting in 2007, students must be tested in science three times between third and twelfth grade). Bush's new plan calls for math and reading assessments to continue through eleventh grade. Bush plans to request $1.5 billion for this proposal in his FY 2006 budget request, but much of that money would be taken from existing programs.

http://www.aip.org/fyi/2005/012.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arc says: "Ray, I have had many such tragically comic experiences with todays youth."

Yes, the usual complaint of the older generation and once again, I am working at a fast food restaurant for the summer and deal with today's young people in a stressfull work environment. But it isn't just the education system which is in decline. Spending more money will not solve the problem as the system itself is in need of a major overhaul. Very much discussion and debate on this topic. Here's a link from ABC News John Stossel's "Stupid in America"

"Education Myths" from author Jay Greene answers 20/20 viewer questions:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=1532494

Ray says: "The correct answers for the test are on the chalk board. Please mark your test paper as outlined on the board while we watch the movie A Beautiful Mind directed by Opie Taylor, good friend of Barney Fife, and Sheriff Taylor's son. Who knows the name of Opie's aunt? Hint: Second lettter in the alphabet which you learned in 5th grade."

Have you actually seen this in a classroom, Ray? I have not. But I have seen that politicians aren't being held to the same level of accountability as teachers or students. Teachers are paid servants of the State and must do as Uncle Sam tells them or they won't get paid. Because education is compulsory, kids are in effect sentenced to twelve years of prison called school. The kids of today aren't the Mayberry generation. Nor are they Leave It to Beaver or the Brady Bunch. There's is more symbolized by Malcolm in the Middle.

Ray, I do not dispute your senario concerning the change in learning methods of the past several decades. Most of the older educators are aware of it and strongly object to what has been done. But I must ask: WHY has the dumbing down of America taken place? Whose purpose does it serve? Do you want your kids to experience the state run monopoly of public schooling?

Quote:
Approximately 57% of public school funding comes from the state, 34% comes from local taxes, and 9% comes from federal dollars.

http://www.askquestions.org/details.php?id=916

Quote:
House Education & the Workforce Committee
John Boehner, Chairman
2181 Rayburn HOB · (202) 225-4527 FACT SHEET

Education Funding: Resources for Reform

Simply spending money is not the answer to the problems facing America's schools. High standards, accountability for results, and increased parental involvement are all essential to improving education and ensuring no child in America is left behind.

http://www.house.gov/ed_workforce/issue ... ummary.htm

Quote:
House Committee on Education & The Workforce
Howard P. "Buck" McKeon Chairman
2181 Rayburn House Office Building
Issue Brief June 2006
Education Funding: Setting the Record Straight on Education Spending Myths
http://www.house.gov/ed_workforce/issue ... gmyths.htm

Another point that TruthBook members may not be aware of...

Girls are passing boys in academic achievement and are about 1 1/2 years ahead on average, notwithstanding Ray's example, by the time they finish high school.

No child will be left behind, because one size fits all...(or the school funding will be cut)...if any of you have the opportunity to visit your kids' school, especially math and science class, you may be shocked and amazed. Even in the Junior College I attend, the general consensus for most classes is that easier is better. A school placed within an upper middle class community tends to be far more academically challenging than a school placed in a low socio-economic rural setting. America is supposed to be a "class-less" society, but unfortunately, there is a hidden curriculum in the classrooms of today.

Before reading, please set your irony detector to the on position. If you find yourself inclined to dismiss the below as paranoid, you should know that the design behind the current American school system is very well-documented historically, in published writings of dizzying cynicism by such well-known figures as Horace Mann and Andrew Carnegie.

The Six-Lesson Schoolteacher

by John Taylor Gatto, New York State Teacher of the Year, 1991

http://www.cantrip.org/gatto.html?seenIEPage=1
Quote:
Call me Mr. Gatto, please. Twenty-six years ago, having nothing better to do, I tried my hand at schoolteaching. My license certifies me as an instructor of English language and literature, but that isn't what I do at all. What I teach is school, and I win awards doing it.

Teaching means many different things, but six lessons are common to schoolteaching from Harlem to Hollywood. You pay for these lessons in more ways than you can imagine, so you might as well know what they are:

The first lesson I teach is: "Stay in the class where you belong."

The second lesson I teach kids is to turn on and off like a light switch.

The third lesson I teach you is to surrender your will to a predestined chain of command. Rights may be granted or withheld, by authority, without appeal.

The fourth lesson I teach is that only I determine what curriculum you will study. (Rather, I enforce decisions transmitted by the people who pay me).

In lesson five I teach that your self-respect should depend on an observer's measure of your worth.

In lesson six I teach children that they are being watched.

The Underground History of American Education

may be found at John Taylor Gatto's own web site:

http://johntaylorgatto.com/underground/
Quote:
The shocking possibility that dumb people don’t exist in sufficient numbers to warrant the millions of careers devoted to tending them will seem incredible to you. Yet that is my central proposition: the mass dumbness which justifies official schooling first had to be dreamed of; it isn’t real.

While I don't agree with everything Mr. Gatto asserts, I do find value in his perspective.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2