Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:39 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted:  

7. EDUCATION (Paper 71 page 806)
The enduring state is founded on culture, dominated by ideals, and motivated by service. The purpose of education should be acquirement of skill, pursuit of wisdom, realization of selfhood, and attainment of spiritual values.

In the ideal state, education continues throughout life, and philosophy sometimes becomes the chief pursuit of its citizens. The citizens of such a commonwealth pursue wisdom as an enhancement of insight into the significance of human relations, the meanings of reality, the nobility of values, the goals of living, and the glories of cosmic destiny.

Urantians should get a vision of a new and higher cultural society. Education will jump to new levels of value with the passing of the purely profit-motivated system of economics. Education has too long been localistic, militaristic, ego exalting, and success seeking; it must eventually become world-wide, idealistic, self-realizing, and cosmic grasping.

Education recently passed from the control of the clergy to that of lawyers and businessmen. Eventually it must be given over to the philosophers and the scientists. Teachers must be free beings, real leaders, to the end that philosophy, the search for wisdom, may become the chief educational pursuit.

Education is the business of living; it must continue throughout a lifetime so that mankind may gradually experience the ascending levels of mortal wisdom, which are:

1. The knowledge of things.
2. The realization of meanings.
3. The appreciation of values.
4. The nobility of work--duty.
5. The motivation of goals--morality.
6. The love of service--character.
7. Cosmic insight--spiritual discernment.

And then, by means of these achievements, many will ascend to the mortal ultimate of mind attainment, God-consciousness.

U.S. Department of Education
(education and federal government)
www.ed.gov

Education Week on the Web
(magazine of educational issues and hot topics)
www.edweek.org

National Education Association
(many research resources)
www.nea.org

No Child Left Behind Act of 2002
(many links available, both pro and con; here's one)
http://www.nea.org/esea/index.html

Charter Schools
(a potential to reform education)
http://www.nea.org/charter/index.html

Educational Policy and Governance
(numerous reports on school choice)
www.ksg.harvard.edu/pepg/

National Parent Teachers Association
(America's #1 resource for parents)
http://www.pta.org/

The Partnership for a Drug-Free America
(ways to talk to your kids about drugs)
http://www.drugfree.org/

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Heya Randy,

I fully agree with this general outline which you have presented. But I don't guess you asked any questions or offered any suggestions or theories as to how this wisdom and insight from the Urantia Book is going to make it into the hands of the beaurucratic educational establishment for consideration and/or implementation.

The UB contains alot of great stuff that the world needs but doesn't have. Big problem eh?

Thanks, Woody

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

On this issue of education (that we were recently discussing on another thread), I wanted to mention -- just for fun -- that I am editing a book for an educator who is determined to change the way schools teach kids. The way they are taught now, based on the paradigm that the teacher is right and the kids know nothing until they are taught, then given tests to prove, by scores, what they have learned, is teaching kids the wrong values. It teaches them that in order to get ahead, they have to beat the other guy. It places too much emphasis on scores (which is what the problem is with the No Child Left Behind theory) and not enough on the inherent value of each child which is unique for each one. Not all kids are temperamentally suited to math, or to science, or to music, or to gym or to languages.

The seed is being planted, via this book as well as a number of other educators, that interaction, via "games" is a way to keep the kids involved and interested in learning, as opposed to having data drummed into them. If information is not personal, meaningful, and useful, it is not retained, it is a waste of taxpayers money, seems to me, to teach them stuff they are only going to forget as soon as midterms are over.

There is a prep school outside of Arizona that is using this technique. Cashflow 101 is one of the games. I know the UB talks about the purpose of education as helping integrate the individual with his world, and helping find their way within it, including values and meanings. But if we only teach kids pass or fail, we are teaching that there are winners and losers, that teachers are smart and kids are dumb. This creates an atmosphere of competition that lasts throughout their lifetime, instead of teaching cooperation and teamwork. It does not foster self-esteem or joy in learning. It creates a desire to hide in the back of the room until the bell rings.

I have not expressed this well, but I am Very Encouraged by this man's passion to teach today's kids how to live in tomorrow's world. He says our world is changing so fast kids can't keep up, and education needs to change the way it teaches. Rodan would probably agree with him.

Post subject: Learning is fun?
PostPosted:  

Little Zachary was doing very badly in math. His parents had tried everything: tutors, mentors, flash cards, special learning centers. In short, everything they could think of to help his math. Finally, in a last ditch effort, they took Zachary down and enrolled him in the local Catholic school.

After the first day, little Zachary came home with a very serious look on his face. He didn't even kiss his mother hello. Instead, he went straight to his room and started studying. Books and papers were spread out all over the room and little Zachary was hard at work.

His mother was amazed. She called him down to dinner. To her shock, the minute he was done, he marched back to his room without a word, and in no time, he was back hitting the books as hard as before. This went on for some time, day after day, while the mother tried to understand what made all the difference.

Finally, little Zachary brought home his report card. He quietly laid it on the table, went up to his room and hit the books. With great trepidation, his Mom looked at it and to her great surprise, little Zachary got an "A" in math. She could no longer hold her curiosity.

She went to his room and said, "Son, what was it? Was it the nuns?" Little Zachary looked at her and shook his head, no. "Well, then," she replied, "was it the books, the discipline, the structure, the uniforms? WHAT WAS IT ALREADY?!"

Little Zachary looked at her and said, "Well, on the first day of school when I saw that guy nailed to the plus sign, I knew they weren't fooling around."

Page 1022 - "You who today enjoy the advantages of the art of printing...."

It helps if you can READ and do arithmetic....

Page 1223 - "Uncertainty with SECURITY is the essence of the Paradise adventure...."

Pass it on - a brother on your other favorite site, Gerdeon, is suffering with the error of thinking it read "insecurity"...oy vey....

Not sure how "games" in school do away with "competition" - quite the opposite, no?

Your bro,
A fetish for DNA

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Fetish for DNA said:

"Pass it on - a brother on your other favorite site, Gerdeon, is suffering with the error of thinking it read "insecurity"...oy vey.... "

A lot of my brothers on a lot of sites suffer from error of thinking. I am hardly responsible for how people think, nor for how they spell.

I thought I recognized your personality, bro. You do get around!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

from the foreword page 17:
Quote:
Successive planetary revelations of divine truth invariably embrace the highest existing concepts of spiritual values as a part of the new and enhanced co-ordination of planetary knowledge. Accordingly, in making these presentations about God and his universe associates, we have selected as the basis of these papers more than one thousand human concepts representing the highest and most advanced planetary knowledge of spiritual values and universe meanings. Wherein these human concepts, assembled from the God-knowing mortals of the past and the present, are inadequate to portray the truth as we are directed to reveal it, we will unhesitatingly supplement them, for this purpose drawing upon our own superior knowledge of the reality and divinity of the Paradise Deities and their transcendent residential universe.

Within the Urantia Book are these "one thousand human concepts representing the highest and most advanced planetary knowledge of spiritual values and universe meanings" clearly indicated? No type of annotation is used. One can erroneously believe that the revelators are the exclusive source of all material discussed in the UB.

The UB does indeed contain a lot of great stuff, but rarely does it contain anything new. One of the problems with the Urantia Book as cited by the debunkers and detractors is plagiarism.

Much of the wisdom and insight of the UB comes from human sources without giving due credit to the mortal source. If I were to use this method for an assignment, I could be expelled. Modern textbooks are annotated with extensive listing of sources. Both teachers and students are required to do the same. This is academic honesty and respect.
Quote:
"If you actually use the words of another and plug them into a homily as your own without (attribution) that's plagiarism," said the Rev. David M. Greenhaw, president of Eden Theological Seminary and a professor of preaching. "It has to do with being lazy and putting yourself out there in a fraudulent way. It's wrong."

quote from an article in:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)
October 17, 2005
Author: Tim Townsend and Kavita Kumar
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

For a better understanding, I invite TruthBook members who are so inclined to research "plagiarism."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of the reason I've taken the time to supply a few links for TruthBook members who wish to conduct their own research, is to suggest that educators are already using wisdom and insight gained from generations of teaching to combat the spread of bureaucratic educational establishment adherence to the corporate mentality.

One label used for teachers who attempt to change the way schools educate is "social revisionist" or "social reconstructionist." An educator on campus, whose classes I've taken twice and admire greatly, considers herself to be such a teacher. Such forward thinking teachers are indeed attempting to keep up with the changing needs of society.

But there are as many teaching styles as there are teachers including the "teacher is right and students know nothing" authoritarian mentality which, in my opinion, is no longer effective. For much of our early industrialization period, where most children would grow up to work in a factory; assessment by test scores, rote memorization of facts, and unquestioning acceptance of a higher authority was enough to prepare them for their role in society. This is no longer quite as valid in the early 21st century.

It is true, at least from my perspective, that NCLB [its a law; not a theory] is of the "one size fits all" mentality which places way to much emphasis on test scores and has little tolerance for individual learning needs of students. This law is a direct result of those who embrace the profit motive.

Indeed, teachers are well aware that one size does not fit all and attempt to use, in the classrooms of today, something called "multiple intelligences." No need to google ourselves crazy as Woody puts it, but I would like to invite TruthBook members to research "multiple intelligences" or any other topic if they so desire.

Our society as a whole, especially in the U.S., is predicated upon competition. From a very young age children are taught that winning is everything and losers are nothing. People will go to great lengths to prove they're winners.

For example...all other things being equal, how many TruthBook members would trust their health to a doctor who graduated LAST in his/her class? Or how many TruthBook members would fly an airliner company with the WORST safety record? Or regarding sports, is it fun to lose? How many TruthBook members would invest in a company which hasn't shown a profit in years?

Learning by games...kids expect to be entertained and unless teachers make learning fun, students rarely become involved or retain what they've learned as boredom has become anathema to society. If students refuse to take responsibility for their own learning, there isn't much a teacher can do. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink; you can put a child in school but you can't make 'em think." I don't know who wrote this; accuse me of plagiarism if you want.

Most K-3 students have to be entertained, some teachers call this "edu-tainment", where learning activities change around four times per hour to keep them interested. In many ways teachers have become performers more than educators. Bored students will unfortunately find something to entertain themselves and this usually results in disruption of the entire class.

Since this isn't possible with older students, increasingly teachers have resorted to investigative teaching where students, usually as a group, are given an assignment with specific goals to achieve relevant to a specific topic. This topic could easily involve a worldwide event. When students have the freedom to conduct their own research, under close supervision, they tend to retain far more than if a teacher simply has them read from a textbook and then give them a test. This type of group learning activity has many advantages and a few disadvantages as well.

Poor little Zachary seems to be suffering from erroneous thinking...but he got an "A" in math...does the end justify the means? It does indeed help if you can read but comprehension is just as important. Writing is also important, such as penmanship used to be a strict requirement. But there is a growing attitude in which learning how to write with a pen or pencil is seen to be increasingly unecessary in the information age of computers. Who needs to know how to spell if you have spellcheck? Who needs to know how to do math if you have a calculator? How can teachers assess learning without pass or fail? Or some kind of performance evaluation? Teachers must prepare students for the society of today and taxpayers must see a return on their investment. NCLB is far more of an evaluation of teachers than students.

In most jobs there is always some kind of performance evaluation in which the employees' work record is documented by a supervisor and... if you pass and you get a raise; if you fail, you'll find yourself in the unemployment line. Employers can always hire someone else to do the job if you can't.

In terms of our universal career, do we not pass or fail? Even though the UB describes many ways in which various cosmic beings grade our mortal performance and give unseen help regarding our eternal career...don't our own free-will choices determine the outcome? What of sleeping survivors...are they being held back a grade? In terms of the eternal career, some of us win and some of us lose and the UB is but one source to help us get a better grade.

Last edited by rhermen on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:12 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Randy, again you let your marbles roll around the floor and they get kicked under the sofa and you lose them.

"The UB does indeed contain a lot of great stuff, but rarely does it contain anything new. One of the the problems with the UB as cited by the debunkers and detractors is plagiarism."

The UB contains only rare pieces of new material? Surely you jest. Have you even read it all cover to cover yet? The vast bulk of the book is all new material....hence it being called a revelation.

And to your other point, we don't give spit what UB detractors or debunkers think at TB. They arn't here to present their case, you don't seem to be speaking for them as their authorized agents, and they have no proof.

It seems now you wern't being serious with your beginning post as stated.....which is among the various foibles you manage to get yourself into.

Post subject: UB
PostPosted:  

Woody,
Here are a few things I have found in UB that I value as unique and valuable:

The statements that:
there are many Christ Michaels each Christ Michael is over about 10 million planets Each Christ Michael is over 10,000 Systems of about 1,000 planets each (hence the 10 million) our Urantia is ruled by a Christ Michael we can know of Him via the Bible, and better so via UB
Life began 550,000 yrs ago on our Urantia Life Evolves (cell to frog to this and that to human) Consciousness Evolves (as genetics evolve, and culture evolves) Life is purposeful Creation and Evolution are not mutually exclusive

Our Urantia got 'messed up' due to rebellion by our Planetary Prince We are - with God's Help - moving Forward
UB gives us so many Wondrous gems to study, consider, share!!
Yes, UB is a REVELATION from God, a divine gift!!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Heya FatSoul (remember that one from Paula?) :smile:

Yeah I'm with you brother, even after 23 years with it, the ammount of new learning and insight never ceases to amaze me.

On your list however, I believe you will find that it says that our world was registered as a planet about a BILLION years ago, that man, Andon and Fonta goes back almost a MILLION years. I'd have to look up the year-dates on when the Life Implantation took place but it will far precede Andon and Fonta.

Thanks for your comments bud!

Woody

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

In reply to Randy's last post ...

Trying to figure out where you're coming from with all you've posted requires more work than I can apply to the project – that's not to say that I want to find fault with what you've said, or that there's no merit to it – it's just that I find myself confused with what it is you've been expressing and I won't spend the time necessary to unconfuse myself. Overall though what I'm detecting is that basically you're a disgruntled person and it would be great if there was a way to get a bit of gruntle back into your life. Suggestions follow, but first:

There's nothing wrong with authority. The universe is constructed on that principle and we here on earth mirror it imperfectly, but that's what evolutionary life is all about, striving for perfection. Teachers need to be teachers, not friends or playmates. Young minds need structure and boundaries in order to develop self-reliance and the ability to think. My teachers weren't my friends, they were authorities and they taught children willing to learn what they needed to know, but then, I went to school back before the society became so touchy-feely and politically correct. Yes, today maybe kids do expect to be entertained and to have games do the teaching (although I doubt that) – there's a harsh reality to life that comes back to bite the butts of those who seriously entertain such inanity.

Woody's right on when he implied that it sounds as if you're criticizing The Urantia Book from a position of not knowing what it says, just like so many critics do. To say "rarely does it contain anything new" doesn't do much to bolster the value of your opinions.

Anyone not interested in learning The Urantia Book might consider instead the novels of Ayn Rand — her grasp of reality from a non-spiritual perspective very closely aligned itself with some UB teachings in my opinion. The foundation of capitalism, the only economic system that works and that is endorsed by The Urantia Book, is founded on competition where there definitely are winners and losers. In the world of the spirt we're equals, on material worlds, until the age of light and life, we are not. Competition exists in the plant and animal kingdoms, has brought forth wonderful and hardy life forms, and is just as beneficial for human beings.

While it's true that we mortals are often required to cite our sources, to criticize the revelator's use of human knowledge as plagiarism places them at the same level as human beings, which they're not nor never have been. Quite possibly those humans who previously expressed some of the concepts found in The Urantia Book had been inspired those very spiritual sources — a few concepts filtering down which tended to get lost in the hubbub of humanity so they were rescued and incorporated into one single published source.

So, assuming I've accurately captured what you've expressed from my perusal, you're not flying very high here — again, that's not to say we don't love you, but if you want to do more than complain you'll have to strengthen your arguments with facts while learning to see the brighter side of life on this challenging world. Advice? Don't worry, be happy! Get some enjoyment and have some fun. Take a vacation, a hike, a walk; go to an animal shelter, eat popcorn — there are too many fun things to do to list. Best wishes ...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

This thread is called the Urantia Book and Modern Education. Relevant to education; the UB has very little that is new. I appologize for not making that clear. I thought it was understood.

As for those facts which are new in the UB, if I were to teach them in the classrooms of today, I sure many people would accuse me of losing my marbles...students, parents, other teachers, school board members, principals, superintendents, etc.
Quote:
On your list however, I believe you will find that it says that our world was registered as a planet about a BILLION years ago, that man, Andon and Fonta goes back almost a MILLION years. I'd have to look up the year-dates on when the Life Implantation took place but it will far precede Andon and Fonta.

What proof exists that this is true other than the UB says so? It attempts to be an authority unto itself. Since the Bible is traditionally the undisputed "word of God" and people constantly promote it as an authority unto itself; bible fundamentalists are already trying to make it a law to teach creationism and only creationism in the classroom. Sure lets teach Life Carriers, Andon and Fonta, our planet registered as Urantia a billion yrs ago...talk about a clash of ideologies. :P :mrgreen: I for one see no academic or spiritual need to turn the UB into the new "word of God." If the revelators would have cited their mortal sources, I believe the UB could be more acceptable to everyone.
Quote:
and they have no proof.

Neither do Urantians. Though I concede a 2097 page book in one's hand may be taken as evidence. I'd like to point out there is no physical proof Jesus ever walked the earth or for other concepts the UB presents as revelation. While I can accept these things on faith as though they are true, I cannot teach them in public school and I'd prefer if we kept the discussion on this thread within educational parameters. Just because UB readers have accepted them as Truth, without tangible proof, doesn't mean everyone should. This is why religious faith isn't taught in public schools. Teachers could never hope to keep everyone happy in such a religious clash of ideologies and little peacfull academic learning could be accomplished. Hasn't our world had enough clashing of religious ideologies? Fundamentalists always start foaming at the mouth when their beliefs systems are challenged and usually go to war and kill those refuse to accept their ego-centric belief systems. Teachers are paid to teach; not proselytize.
Quote:
1. The knowledge of things.

Modern education does pretty well from an accredited and traditionally academic standpoint.
Quote:
2. The realization of meanings.

From a mostly secular viewpoint in terms of the profit motive; modern education focuses on the realization of meanings.
Quote:
3. The appreciation of values.

Materialistic values are greatly appreciated in society and modern public education must adhere to taxpayer expectation.
Quote:
4. The nobility of work--duty.

Work is noble and duty to society is necessary especially if we glorify the bottom line corporate mentality of profit.
Quote:
5. The motivation of goals--morality.

Ethics and morals are difficult to teach in the classrooms of today. For example; plagiarism. I can go to various websites and buy ready made essays and turn them in as my own work. I won't advertise any urls for what I hope are obvious reasons. The websites have disclaimers which state the material is to be used for reference only and they are not responsible for any unauthorized use.

I haven't done this of course as I consider such a practice to be unethical and immoral. Other students will buy such "essays" and because they've paid $15 per page for this "essay" and as long as the teacher doesn't know, everthing is OK. Students will oftimes pay other students to do the work anonomously and turn this work in as their own. Again as long as they've paid for it, they can do whatever they want, there is no ethical or moral consideration from many students. They only care about the grade.

In another example; I've been required to actually go to nearby public schools for required classroom observation. Both teachers I've observed and school principals sign my paperwork as proof of observation. Other students, even classmates have admitted they didn't actually go to a classroom for observation, they instead had a friend or relative sign the paper work and fake the required assignments. Again ethics and morals seem to be irrelevant. The grade is paramount.

Yes, there are teachers who are aware of these things and follow up if they have reasonable cause, but it takes far too much time to do this for every student. Teachers have a code of ethics they must follow as well:

Code of Ethics of the Education Profession
Quote:
Preamble
The educator, believing in the worth and dignity of each human being, recognizes the supreme importance of the pursuit of truth, devotion to excellence, and the nurture of the democratic principles. Essential to these goals is the protection of freedom to learn and to teach and the guarantee of equal educational opportunity for all. The educator accepts the responsibility to adhere to the highest ethical standards.

The educator recognizes the magnitude of the responsibility inherent in the teaching process. The desire for the respect and confidence of one's colleagues, of students, of parents, and of the members of the community provides the incentive to attain and maintain the highest possible degree of ethical conduct. The Code of Ethics of the Education Profession indicates the aspiration of all educators and provides standards by which to judge conduct.

TruthBook members who are so inclined may read the complete code here:

http://www.nea.org/aboutnea/code.html
Quote:
6. The love of service--character.

People serve allright provided they get something in return. Its very difficult to pay the bills without a paycheck. When our world lets go of the profit motive, I believe that true unselfish service will become possible and greater character will be the result.
Quote:
7. Cosmic insight--spiritual discernment.

This seems unrealistic in public schools, but private religious based schools are much better equipped. Schools of several hundred years ago were primarily for religious indoctrination. Reading, writing, and arithmetic skills were taught primarily to understand the bible. Now they are taught primarily for corporate indoctrination.

Last edited by rhermen on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:41 pm +0000, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Architects of the Future
PostPosted:  

[quote="lwatkins"]
Anyone not interested in learning The Urantia Book might consider instead the novels of Ayn Rand — her grasp of reality from a non-spiritual perspective very closely aligned itself with some UB teachings in my opinion. The foundation of capitalism, the only economic system that works and that is endorsed by The Urantia Book, is founded on competition where there definitely are winners and losers. In the world of the spirt we're equals, on material worlds, until the age of light and life, we are not. ...[/quote]

Hmmmm - let's see - ah yes - the UB - that's where I read it - Page 805 - "Present-day profit-motivated economics is doomed unless profit motives can be augmented by service motives. Ruthless competition based on narrow-minded self-interest is ultimately destructive of even those things which it seeks to maintain. Exclusive and self-serving profit motivation is incompatible with Christian ideals - much more incompatible with the teachings of Jesus."

But then, to be fair, you're promoting the "non-spiritual" approach, right?

Only in the finite realm can "non-spiritual" make its temporarily temporal stage debut :-)

Where oh where in an overly complex and luxury-seeking civilization, that is now obviously suicidal, can the soul of man get some spiritual exercise and spiritual nourishment?

Ah - "civilization, science, and advanced religions must deliver mankind from those fears born of the dread of natural phenomena".

Anyone need even more natural phenomena for incentive?

Architecture sure needs an upgrade - dare we say a "new" way to use rocket-scientist cleverness...? Hey - how about a school that fuses human dwelling designs with aerodynamic and submarine technology...?

Ooops - there go the bright kids again - thinking about something of "service" instead of competing for themselves through cheating...

I think we should go back to the eugenics thread and start with defining "stupid" - but only after the playing field is leveled.

Now would be a good time to wipe out the opium trade in the Karkoram Pass...yea yea yea, Bin Laden was promised the CEO-ship - and he's a great CEO - 600% increase in the opium trade since 911. What OTHER pharmaceutical company can claim that kind of profit increase in the same timeframe?

But it is so unfair to CREATE genetic stupidity through the clastogenic potential of chemicals that break through the blood-brain barrier....

Viva natural phenomena for being "no respector of persons" (does that mean God is ALSO "non-spiritual"?)

Post subject: UB and Education
PostPosted:  

Rhermen,

Let me mention two specific items re Education that UB covers.

The truth that God the Father CREATED everything - and Evolution is the His normal process of getting from single cell to man is a major truth. Evolution and Creationism both are part of the cosmological picture.

Also, UB clarifies that the concept of equality can be a falsehood when applied across the board. Individuals are certainly Not Equal in manifold ways. I do agree this enlightens me and you - but it may not assist you in the classroom since UB is a Source of Great Truth to believers only!

Rhermen, my vision and understanding of reality has been somewhat reconstructed and improved by an 18 mo study of UB, tho I am not sure what and where a teacher could use UB info in a classroom.

This is similar to a Christian saying you cannot use the New testament in Education - tho this Book may be a your most Valuable Source of Truth.

My belief is UB will make you a more confident human being - and a better teacher - tho you probably cannot use UB in specific cases.

(Woody - I meant life implantation took place 550,000 million yrs ago, and not 550,000 yrs ago)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I have read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand and yes it does illuminate from a ficticious and symbolic level the merits and shortcomings of capitalism. In my opinion, it also has great philosophical insight into the nature of mammon and the way servants of mammon think and will unhesitatingly corrupt truth to serve their unrighteous agendas. It also shows what could happen to civilization if materialism is allowed undisputed reign of society. All of this has great spiritual value to me. The book "1984" by George Orwell has similar value in my opinion. Unfortunately, I believe that neither Ayn Rand nor George Orwell went far enough in their portrayals.

Modern education is in the grip of materialism, especially in the public school system. Of this there is no doubt, in my opinion.
Quote:
While it's true that we mortals are often required to cite our sources, to criticize the revelator's use of human knowledge as plagiarism places them at the same level as human beings, which they're not nor never have been.

I disagree as some of the revelators have been mortal. Also, I have the right to critique or criticize the UB in any manner I see fit. I seriously doubt that the revelators are insecure enough to be offended at my sincere Quest for Truth. An enlightened parent never blames a child for being immature. Although immature parents often blame their child for being enlightened.

Again from an educational or even academic standpoint the term "plagiarism" relevant to the UB has merit in my opinion. Because many assertions or direct quotes made in the UB cannot be authenticated from our mortal perspective. The revelators need no one to defend them, if they truly serve the Father by their "mandate" to bring the FER to our dark world, this truth will be made known to me by my own "inner teacher" when I'm ready to learn it. And to be perhaps too brutally honest, I don't give spit what others think of me or my motives. It isn't my problem if others are offended if I appear to challenge their belief systems, but I do not intend to challenge them personally. Spiritual unity isn't predicated upon the touchy-feely validation of belief systems.

Here's a quote from paper one and from the very first paragraph on page 21:
Quote:
The truth about the Universal Father had begun to dawn upon mankind when the prophet said: "You, God, are alone; there is none beside you. You have created the heaven and the heaven of heavens, with all their hosts; you preserve and control them. By the Sons of God were the universes made. The Creator covers himself with light as with a garment and stretches out the heavens as a curtain."

Having read the UB cover to cover twice, as well as certain papers and passages many times; I have found many such anonymous quotes which the revelators use to "prove" their point, and in my sincere Quest for Truth I must ask; who is this prophet and why doesn't the Divine Counsellor mention him or her by name? Is this a reference to the Bible or some other source? One can merely take the revelators word for it, which doesn't demonstrate responsibility, in my opinion, but from an academic standpoint I would like to verify this quote et al.

Lo and behold, I have a 1986 copy of the Paramony which the author has gone to great lengths to achieve harmony between the bible and the UB. I also have a King James Bible. Of the six biblical references to old and new testament prophets listed in the paramony concerning this specific quote, none of them say anything about "Sons of God" making the universe or "Creator covering himself with light as with a garment and stretches out the heavens as a curtain." There are of course many references to God being alone and there is none beside him, creating heaven and earth as well as the hosts of heaven.

It would appear there is no one specific prophet who uttered these exact words as "truth dawning upon mankind" as the Divine Counsellor quotes. And yet why does the Divine Counselor present this quote as such? Is this not plagiarism? Maybe word symbols belong to the individual who utters them but truly divine concepts belong to everyone...
Quote:
Only in the finite realm can "non-spiritual" make its temporarily temporal stage debut

Indeed, this is what mammon is all about and in a free-will universe, the servants of mammon have the right [but this does not make them righteous...though they believe it does] from a purely materialistic perspective to use whatever it takes to "prove" their point, because to them the end does indeed justify the means. One of their favorite ways to do this is to pretend to be servants of Our True Father when in actuality, they're anything but.
Quote:
Where oh where in an overly complex and luxury-seeking civilization, that is now obviously suicidal, can the soul of man get some spiritual exercise and spiritual nourishment?

Indeed. Or to put it another way, what does it matter to a kingdom believer if all visible things crash? Individually and globally we must answer Our True Father's call. We must must discern the difference between Our True Father [and those who truly serve Him] and the servants of mammon who seek to serve a false god, by pretending to serve the One True God.
Quote:
Anyone need even more natural phenomena for incentive?

Apparently so as "natual phenomena" is increasing at an alarming rate. Once the playing field is leveled, I believe the FER will have greater truth, meaning, and value to the survivors of these "natural phenomena." I believe the survivors will know that much of this "natural phenomena" was man-made.
Quote:
What OTHER pharmaceutical company can claim that kind of profit increase in the same timeframe?

Allthough it isn't a pharmaceutical company, Exxon/Mobil is doing pretty well in the profit department, regardless of "natural phenomena" because we've allowed ourselves to become addicted to oil. Think about that the next time you go to the gas station to get your "fix." By the way I don't drive or own a car, I walk or ride a bicycle, and it is Our True Father and those who serve Him, who have made it possible for me to give up my additions. I admit this sometimes makes life challenging...
Quote:
Exxon Mobil Profit, Sales Soar to Records
By STEVE QUINN
Associated Press Writer

DALLAS — Exxon Mobil Corp. rewrote the corporate record books Thursday as the oil company's third-quarter earnings soared to almost $10 billion and it became the first public company ever with quarterly sales topping $100 billion. Anglo-Dutch competitor Royal Dutch Shell PLC wasn't far behind, posting a profit of $9 billion for the quarter.
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/sha ... s_Oil.html

Quote:
But it is so unfair to CREATE genetic stupidity through the clastogenic potential of chemicals that break through the blood-brain barrier....

Ah yes, better life through man-made chemicals. Or so the servants of mammon teach, because they own the petro-chemical and pharmaceutical companies, and promote the use of mind altering drugs, vaccines, antibiotics, and steroids. I found this out the hard way. The creators of genetic stupidity have done so to make us "lowly mortal animals" more biddable to their "unquestioned" authority. But we have allowed it, so far. Think of all the toxic chemicals under your kitchen sink, in your bathroom, or in your garage if you want to find weapons of mass destruction.
Quote:
The truth that God the Father CREATED everything - and Evolution
is the His normal process of getting from single cell to man
is a major truth. Evolution and Creationism both are part of the cosmological picture.

Oh yes, I strongly agree!! But have you ever tried to teach something to a room full of restless students who don't want to learn? They're far more interested in their cell phone calls and text messaging which allows them to cheat, or the lastest movie, CD by their favorite band, the gossip about a teacher, etc. I don't blame them. These students are a product of our modern society which values materialism. Maybe I'm a Luddite, because I have chosen to let go of most [but not all] of my material possessions. No car, telephone, computer, TV, stereo [but I do have a portable AM/FM radio]. Without these worldly distractions I have perhaps too much time on my hands, time to listen to my "inner teacher", do my homework, and research any subject my "inner teacher" suggests. The strange thing is that even though I have lived below the poverty level for more than three years now, I don't feel poor. I feel blessed and have the liberty of being on vacation, in a manner of speaking. Ah such freedom!!! I concede this isn't possible, yet, for everyone. But I believe it will be; if our world globally decides to let go of the profit motive. Neither evolution nor creationism are based on the profit motive. But servants of the profit motive only allow those concepts to be taught which they can profit from.

While I understand that the UB teaches its own concept of evolution and creationism, in the classrooms of today evolution is mostly based on the theories of Darwin. Whereas creationism is based on bible fundamentalism, "God created the heavens and earth in six days and rested on the seventh" as taught in the book of Genesis.
Quote:
Also, UB clarifies that the concept of equality can be a falsehood when applied across the board. Individuals are certainly Not Equal in manifold ways.

While I agree with this statement in theory, I also believe that Jesus treated everyone equally across the board, and there is absolutely no way I could express such an opinion in a classroom of today. There are many laws which are designed to prevent any type of discrimination across the board. Were I to imply that any student is not equal to every other student for any reason, I could be sued...BIG TIME!!!

This is most especially true if my opinion was based on sexual, racial, religious, socio-economic or any other kind of discrimination. No matter how disabled or dysfunctional an individual student may appear, a teacher must endeavor to treat them with respect and equality without stereotyping or discriminating against them in any way.

Sure, from the revelators' lofty perspective, mortals appear unequal. But I ask TruthBook members to reflect on the times in which they may have been stereotyped, treated with prejudice, or treated as an inferior, or discriminated against due to some purported inequality...

how did it feel?
Quote:
Randy, again you let your marbles roll around the floor and they get kicked under the sofa and you lose them.

Many parents are just waiting to pounce on such a teacher who makes this kind of mistake. Just like it appears to me certain TruthBook members are just waiting to pounce on me when I make a mistake. While this quote is humorous, I cannot say such a disrespectfull thing to a student, as a parent could easily object on the grounds of calling their child stupid and sue me, neither can I picture Jesus saying it to someone.
Quote:
I do agree this enlightens me and you - but it may not assist you in the classroom since UB is a Source of Great Truth to believers only!

Rhermen, my vision and understanding of reality has been somewhat reconstructed and improved by an 18 mo study of UB, tho I am not sure what and where a teacher could use UB info in a classroom.

This is similar to a Christian saying you cannot use the New testament in Education - tho this Book may be a your most Valuable Source of Truth.

My belief is UB will make you a more confident human being - and a better teacher - tho you probably cannot use UB in specific cases.

I have faith realized that God loves me, and that He stands with me. Though it does not make me superior to those who have yet to meet Father. This faith realization comes from a personal relationship with God, and it has little to do with the Urantia Book, though reading the UB and many other spiritually uplifting books does help me to understand this love. It is Our True Father who is the First Source of confidence, truth, and enlightenment. We're all equal in His Sight.

It may be that my current training in modern education is an effort to prepare me to teach the survivors of this "leveling of the playing field", "the children of tomorrow", but perhaps not the children of today or yesterday. Or it may be that I'll leave this world behind and begin my eternal career due to death by a "natural phenomena."

Either way Let Our True Father's Will Be Done.

Last edited by rhermen on Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:48 am +0000, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

You're right Rhermen, I did misspeak -- several of the Urantia Papers were authored by glorified beings who were one-time mortals, so my previous statement is incorrect. To set the record straight, here are the authors:

Authors of the Papers

1. Foreword, 1-9, 17-19, 23, 24 - Divine Counselor (15:10.3 - Trinity origin beings)
2. 10, 15, 16, 29 - Universal Censor (19:3.4 - Trinity origin beings)
3. 11-14, 20, 21, 26, 27 - Perfector of Wisdom (19:3.4 - Trinity origin beings)
4. 22, 28, 30, 32, 34, 40, 42, 52, 54, 55, 115-118 - Mighty Messenger (15:10.5 - glorified ascendant mortals)
5. 25 - One High in Authority (15:10.5 - glorified ascendant mortals)
6. 31 - Divine Counselor and One Without Name and Number (15:10.5 - glorified ascendant mortals)
7. 33, 35 - Chief of Archangels (angelic order)
8. 36 - Vorondadek Son (20:1.1 - Paradise Sons)
9. 37, 47, 85-89 - Brilliant Evening Star (30:1.4 - Dual origin beings)
10. 38, 39, 45, 49, 66-72, 90, 92-107 - Melchizedek (20:1.2 - offspring of Creator Son and Creative Spirit)
11. 41, 44, 46, 48, 77-81 - Archangel (37:3.1 - offspring of Creator Son and Creative Spirit)
12. 43 - Malavatia Melchizedek
13. 50, 51 - Secondary Lanonandek (35:8.1 - offspring of Creator Son and Creative Spirit)
14. 53 - Manovandet Melchizedek
15. 56 - Mighty Messenger and Machiventa Melchizedek
16. 57-65 - Life Carrier (36:1.1 - created by Creator Son, Creative Spirit, Ancient of Days)
17. 73-76 - Solonia - (51:3.5 angelic order seraphim)
18. 82-84, 113, 114 - Chief of Seraphim (38:1.2 - angelic order created by local universe Mother Spirit)
19. 91 - Chief of Midwayers (non-human residents of planet)
20. 108-112 - Solitary Messenger (13:1.8 - super angelic order)
21. 119 - Chief of Evening Stars (30:1.1 - dual order deity creation)
22. 120 - Mantutia Melchizedek
23. 121-196 - Midwayer Commission

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next