Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:40 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Hello! I'm new to this board, and somewhat new to UB. I've read some of it. Its interesting in its own way. Not sure what to think of the whole Jesus thing, since I'm a Jew. I have posted here before under a different name, but I don't know what name. So here I am. Hope to meet you all soon!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Congratulations and welcome back! If you want to see what's the name you used before, click on the "Members" on top right. Again welcome back and hope you are enjoying your married life.

PostPosted:  

Thank you for your greeting!

Well, married life is interesting. We have our issues, but overall, it is good. Regarding the UB, I've read the first 17 Papers, and at one point, had read quite a bit of the History of Urantia. I am not sure what to think of the book overall, other than its LOOOOOOOOOOONG! I've been to graduate school, and some of the reading is comparable to that level. Now that I am married and settled down, I am thinking of doing some UBIS school. Need to find out more about it, though.

I went through my collection. It turns out I have FIVE (5), yes, FIVE copies of the UB, three regular books (2 hard-bound and one soft-cover) and one each on my Kindle and Nook. The soft-bound copy was used for about a year as a mouse-pad back when you needed such things.

Don't ask me why I have so many of things. But, at least I can't use "I can't find my copy" as an excuse not to read it! More along of the lines of, "why, even with a degree in philosophy, do I not understand what the hell it's trying to say?".

Well, there you are. But I think I'm going to get back into it. Tell me, if you were in my shoes, where would you recommend reading? Anybody can answer this question, by the way. And remember, the Jesus thing is a bit of an issue. Not that I am refusing to read it, but simply that I don't quite get it.

PostPosted:  

I would read wherever I feel like reading. But if you have not read the Jesus papers, I recommend reading them. Jesus childhood was lived in an ordinary Jewish environment and traditions and I would think you will find it interesting from your point of view. But as an adult, he traveled to many places in the Roman world and he was exposed to many different cultures and understood men very well.

PostPosted:  

I see. Now that is an interesting point of view! I had never thought of that. Perhaps it would be interesting to see just how the UB portrays Jesus as a boy. It would be interesting just to see how "Jewish" the text indicates he was. I've read the New Testament twice. To put it bluntly, I was NOT impressed in the slightest. It always struck me as rather contrived, in a way. I'm not trying to be nasty, but just to say that the authors, especially Paul, are using all the same language that Jews use, but they are using it all very differently. Paul means something very different when he uses the word 'messiah' than we mean when we use the word. This has been a perpetual problem in my duscussions with Christians ever since I first met them.

PostPosted:  

I am just not sure if your "Jewish" culture today is still the same as the "Jewish" culture during Jesus day's on earth to be able to see how "Jewish" the text indicates he was. But I'm sure you will find it interesting.

PostPosted:  

Well, obviously Ashkenazi (Central European) Jewish culture is a bit different today that ancient Jewish culture was then, but the religious similarities are striking. And even today, Jews are Jews. Although there may be some differences culturally between Jews then and Jews now, we can recognise and relate to each other. But you are right. I think it will be interesting.

PostPosted:  

I am curious, Mr. Yaakow, as to how you heard about The Urantia Book and why you collected so many different versions and editions of the book?

PostPosted:  

Greetings, I MUST SPEAK:

I am likewise curious as to why I have so many copies! :-D. No, seriously, all joking aside, the first book I bought was the softback, in about 2006. I read some of it then. The second was hardbound in about 2011. Then I was given a copy of the 11th Printing 1993, which, if you know anything about the printing history of the UB, had considerably larger dimensions than any other for totally random reasons. The printer just did it that way. It gives the pages wide margins, making it perfect for note taking. I got one for my Nook last year, and one for my Kindle phone app the other day.

How did I find out about the UB? Well, many years ago, in my late teens and twenties, I would see this huge blue tome in the book store. I never could afford it, though. Finally, in my late thirties, I bought the thing, and there you have it. I'm actually looking at taking UBIS courses to be able to read and learn the book in a more structured environment. But that is the story in a nutshell.

PostPosted:  

Yaakov001 wrote:
Greetings, I MUST SPEAK:

I am likewise curious as to why I have so many copies! :-D. No, seriously, all joking aside, the first book I bought was the softback, in about 2006. I read some of it then. The second was hardbound in about 2011. Then I was given a copy of the 11th Printing 1993, which, if you know anything about the printing history of the UB, had considerably larger dimensions than any other for totally random reasons. The printer just did it that way. It gives the pages wide margins, making it perfect for note taking. I got one for my Nook last year, and one for my Kindle phone app the other day.

How did I find out about the UB? Well, many years ago, in my late teens and twenties, I would see this huge blue tome in the book store. I never could afford it, though. Finally, in my late thirties, I bought the thing, and there you have it. I'm actually looking at taking UBIS courses to be able to read and learn the book in a more structured environment. But that is the story in a nutshell.

Which bookstore...? So the book was in the bookstore for 10+ years until you finally bought it....?

Enjoy the classes!

PostPosted:  

No, you misunderstand. Each time I would enter a bookstore, I would see a copy of the UB.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Yaakov,
Congratulations on your recent marriage and welcome back to the Truthbook discussion board. We hope you find it a welcoming and helpful place.

Where to begin reading? I would agree with Ysmael that to begin wherever you find your interest leading you to begin that way, But as you already know TUB is big and complex. The revelators explain that it was written that way on purpose and that reading from cover to cover, front to back, is the intended procedure. Still, it's your choice.

I hope we respect your Jewishness here. We're not here to convert you to something else. Those with a strong Jewish faith have difficulty with the Christian Jesus as well as with the Urantia Book Jesus. I would not recommend reading Part IV first if you currently have doubts about the messiah, about Jesus, about Christianity. If you read the book sequentially, by the time you arrive at Part IV you will be ready to hear about Jesus. Also, you should know that fundamentalist Christians have a difficult time with the teachings of TUB -- it's not a Christian document.

Please feel free to post your concerns or questions. I will hope that the zeal of UB readers to proselytize will be held in check and that we can have meaningful discussions that don't attempt to blast you out of your religion. Being a Jew is a good thing. I think you can become an even better one once you comprehend the full message of TUB.

Best wishes,
Larry Watkinsw

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Hello Yaakov,
Congratulations on your recent marriage and welcome back to the Truthbook discussion board. We hope you find it a welcoming and helpful place.

Greetings, Larry:

Thank you for your greeting.
Quote:
Where to begin reading? I would agree with Ysmael that to begin wherever you find your interest leading you to begin that way, But as you already know TUB is big and complex. The revelators explain that it was written that way on purpose and that reading from cover to cover, front to back, is the intended procedure. Still, it's your choice.

In my time with the UB, I have indeed found that it is that kind of book, very long and complex. Right now, for the moment, I have continued with Chapter 17 and onward. I am now ready for 19.
Quote:
I hope we respect your Jewishness here. We're not here to convert you to something else. Those with a strong Jewish faith have difficulty with the Christian Jesus as well as with the Urantia Book Jesus. I would not recommend reading Part IV first if you currently have doubts about the messiah, about Jesus, about Christianity. If you read the book sequentially, by the time you arrive at Part IV you will be ready to hear about Jesus. Also, you should know that fundamentalist Christians have a difficult time with the teachings of TUB -- it's not a Christian document.

I am not so much concerned about any of you being discourteous. That was NOT a problem last time around. The kind of people that read the UB don't strike me as an obnoxious group. Fundamentalists are, yes. UB types, no.

I am aware that Fundamentalist Protestants tend to have a VERY difficult time with Jesus as he is explained in the UB. The fact that the text rejects the concept of the Atonement would make it a real problem for them. For me, that would actually position it to have a bit of favour in my eyes. I find the New Testament, which I have read twice, to be utterly distasteful.

I can see in the death of Jesus an example to follow, yes. I can definitely see a good man who was willing to show us the way a good man should be willing to sacrifice everything for what he believes. But the whole "I'll die for your sins" business makes me ill.

I don't know what the UB means when it calls Jesus the Messiah, simply because I need to read that section. No, don't tell me. Let me get there on my own. I think for now, I shall continue to read sequentially. I am in Ch. 19 already. I am going to try to read at least one chapter a day. It ought to take about half the year to get through at that rate, maybe less if I start reading more than that at some point, which I may do as the reading becomes less complex.
Quote:
Please feel free to post your concerns or questions. I will hope that the zeal of UB readers to proselytize will be held in check and that we can have meaningful discussions that don't attempt to blast you out of your religion. Being a Jew is a good thing. I think you can become an even better one once you comprehend the full message of TUB.

I also would hope that my fellow readers of the UB would not attempt to make me other than a Jew. I can see my Judaism being augmented. But, I cannot at present see it being eliminated or changed. I have heard that some Jews do find the book an interesting addition to their faith. At present, in the first 19 Chapters, and in the chapters on the history of Urantia that I have read, I have found nothing that is at all in opposition to being Jewish. So, I shall continue. If I do begin to have issues, I shall come here and hash them out with all of you. Maybe you will be able to clarify matters if and when they come up.

I look forward to a long and fruitful relationship with you all. Thank you for writing.
Quote:
Best wishes,
Larry Watkinsw

Fondly,

Ya'akov

PostPosted:  

Yaakov001 wrote:
No, you misunderstand. Each time I would enter a bookstore, I would see a copy of the UB.

gotcha!

I used to flip around the UB because I got the book and had not had a chance to read it like a normal book - page 1 on 8) - before I joined the internet discussion group run by the Foundation - this was in the early 1990s.....

So in order to understand the discussions on the internet, I would read the UB references the debaters provided. It was a total waste of time for my personal tried and true way of Ace-ing a graduate course, so to speak.

Bottom line, it's just stupid to read a book any other way than to begin at the beginning and turn the pages one at a time - there are no short cuts to Paradise

btw, you'll find that there are a lot of readers who really don't "care" what your religion is - meaning that it won't be held against you as a fellow reader that you are a Jew. The hope is that you return that kind of respect to all the "religions" that come here.

PostPosted:  

I Must Speak wrote:
Yaakov001 wrote:

gotcha!

I used to flip around the UB because I got the book and had not had a chance to read it like a normal book - page 1 on 8) - before I joined the internet discussion group run by the Foundation - this was in the early 1990s.....

So in order to understand the discussions on the internet, I would read the UB references the debaters provided. It was a total waste of time for my personal tried and true way of Ace-ing a graduate course, so to speak.

Bottom line, it's just stupid to read a book any other way than to begin at the beginning and turn the pages one at a time - there are no short cuts to Paradise

.btw, you'll find that there are a lot of readers who really don't "care" what your religion is - meaning that it won't be held against you as a fellow reader that you are a Jew. The hope is that you return that kind of respect to all the "religions" that come here

Greeting:

I think you will find that most Jews are not inclined to judge others for their beliefs or lack thereof. We know what God has told us in the Scriptures (what non-Jews would call the "Old Testament") to do and what not to do. We do NOT know what he may or may not have told anyone else. Therefore, we are unable to comment on what other people should or should not do regarding obedience to God or lack thereof, aside from some basic rules, called the Noahide Laws, which apply to all humans, and are 7 in number. These are:

The prohibition on idolatry.
The prohibition on murder.
The prohibition on theft.
The prohibition on sexual immorality.
The prohibition on blasphemy.
The prohibition on eating flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive.
The requirement to maintain courts to provide legal recourse.

That being said, anything else is beyond our cognizance. I hope that makes sense.