Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:41 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Raised on Urantia
PostPosted:  

Has anyone here either personally raised as a child with the teachings of the UB or raised their own children this way? If so how was it gone about? I just remember lotsa church ad ccd in my childhood. :P

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Raised on Urantia
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Nicki --

An indirect answer to your question would be that the best guidance for how to raise well adjusted children comes from well adjusted parents, whether they're UB readers or not. The best UB guidance would come from the interactions between UB parents and their children; the book is difficult enough reading material for adults and would be difficult for a child to comprehend. The examples of Jesus' parenting in Part IV can provide a blueprint for parents but overall, TUB doesn't contain instructions for how we're to live our lives or raise our children; those are individual decisions.

Reading TUB does not necessarily make one a better husband or wife, mother or father, son or daughter; those are determined by free will expression and to conforming our will to the will of the Father. So unlike any organized, formal, or authoritarian religion, being a UB reader may not result in any obvious outward signs of spiritual change either for the parent or in their use of child rearing techniques.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Hmmm well I was 16 when I started reading it and I understood many parts of the book back then. Of coarse it took me alot longer though and I would only read maybe one paragraph and study that one paragraph for maybe an hour or 2 at a time, I also started reading from the 3rd section of the book and onward. I found that this section was the easiest to understand. Though at that time I was raised catholic so I had alot of previous knowledge about god and jesus etc so maybe it was a bit easier for me to grasp it because of that.

Alot of the time the material was over my head but I could alway's sense the divine intellegence behind the writing's and that comforted me alot. I think a kid may not fully comprehend what he is reading but they will have an appreciation for the author. Kid's these day's are reading at a very high level of comprehension.

I have met one person who was raised with the U.B from childhood and they seem just normal to me though.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

i wish. no, my parents were semi-practicing catholics and my mother, since my childhood of taking me to church, hasn't been back to church since. had i gotten this book when i was 5 i would be much different today. 97:9.20 State and church went along hand in hand.

someday we'll get back to this in a proper way when tub is recognized as the universal religion.

Nicki Jane wrote:
Has anyone here either personally raised as a child with the teachings of the UB or raised their own children this way? If so how was it gone about? I just remember lotsa church ad ccd in my childhood. :P

PostPosted:  

deleted

Last edited by As-Above-So-Below on Fri May 10, 2013 4:10 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

i would hope everyone would have a hand in raising every child. it's that way on a world of light and life where everyone is trusted. 68:6.10 There is a tribe in Australia whose mothers refuse to rear more than two or three children.

that's a good idea.

As-Above-So-Below wrote:
I, myself think that there is no book that can instruct anyone on raising a child or children. In many ways they seem to raise themselves, independent of our supervision but, I do so like the saying "It takes a village to raise a child." With all the difficulties that parents have today to just merely provide for their children, it would be unjust to suggest that parents be held solely responsible to hold their child's hand every minute of a day. Therefore, we must all share in this responsibility or burden. Nevertheless, history and time has shown use what may occur if we do not intercede with what we have learned from our own lives. Parents wish that their children not go through the same hardships they themselves grew-up with but, remember that it was those hardships that allowed us to grow-up, or not. If you're too busy reading the UB to find out how to raise your child, your child will have grown-up be-owned your ability to know the difference of what may need changing from who they have become.

PostPosted:  

I was raised as/by strict protestant christians. At about the age 13-14 I rejected that faith (embarrasingly all-together) due to a lot of grievances I had with their beliefs, and with many of the religion's followers. I then started my never ending search for truth. I am now 25. I found the UB about 4 years ago.

I think religion, as part of a child's early rearing, is a very touchy subject. My son is 2 years old and I still havn't completely figured out how I will address that subject. I'm a firm believer that children shouldn't be taught about councepts such as death before they are old enough to understand what life is.
The fear of hell was indoctrinated in me since I was old enough to understand spoken language. :-x This is something I resent and will not repeat. :-x Fragments of this fear still exist in my mind due to how forcefully it was hammered into my soul. :?

I would like to teach my son to be open minded to all schools of thought, when he is mature enough to understand them. Everything I study will also be available to him, including, but not limited to TUB.
When he asks me a question I will not only answer as well as I can based on my own knowledge and personal beliefs, but I will also encourage him to study it further (which I will delight in joining/helping him with :biggrin: )

He currently goes to the nursery/sunday school with his grandmother, which I don't protest. But if/when he is demanded to think a certain way with out independence, you can be sure I will swiftly correct that. He will not be raised with an irrational fear of God's non-existant wrath.

P.S. Being a father is the most awesome thing that's ever happened to me. My son, evan as an infant, has taught me so much about life, spirituality, God, etc... The experience of being a father (or mother, of course) is a perfect metaphor for how God loves us! it's a beautiful thing! :biggrin: