Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 5:20 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Irrelevant ideas
PostPosted:  

Even the UB can be used as an escape from reality.[/quote]

Takes a big man to admit to it.

Is it ADHD or is it FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome)? One is fashionable - the other is real.

There was a Von Trapp family. There never was and never will be a Hogwart school. There were 2.8 billion people on earth in 1955. There are over 6 billion - and counting- in 2005.

That makes this thread's "ideas" irrelevant due to a "failure of imagination".

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Here are just a few links regarding one Doctor's expert opinion. Doctors are of course not in complete agreement on these topics. In this world of 6 billion people, I invite TruthBook members to conduct their own search for Truth.

re ADHD:"Scientific studies, using advanced neuroimaging techniques of brain structure and function, show that the brains of children with ADHD are different from those of other children."

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1021.html

re FAS: "Alcoholic beverages have been a part of human civilization from the very beginning. Only in the last 28 years has it become clear that maternal alcohol consumption has many negative effects on the developing baby within... The first scientific paper suggesting these harmful effects of alcohol came out of France in 1968. This new idea was not widely accepted. Then, in 1973, an independent group (Jones, et al. Lancet 1:1267, 1973) published a study detailing the patterns of malformation found in the offspring of alcoholic mothers. The mounting evidence was persuasive, and the newly recognized entity was named fetal alcohol syndrome."

http://www.drgreene.com/21_765.html

re Ritalin: "As parents, we want our children to navigate through the teen years without abusing alcohol or drugs. Many are concerned that children with ADHD who take stimulant medications such as Ritalin might be predisposed to drug abuse later."

http://www.drgreene.com/21_254.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both of my parents were of normal mind, law abiding citizens, smoked cigarettes, occasionally drank alcohol, but never used drugs. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I did get in trouble with the law and abused drugs and alcohol until about 3 1/2 yrs ago. My younger brother was put on ritalin at age 10 [it made him "bounce off the walls"] and started smoking cigarettes and using other drugs, got in trouble with the law very early, dropped out of school at age 16, and continues to smoke, use, and get in trouble with the law to this day. My younger sister has never abused drugs or alcohol or gotten in trouble with the law, but she started smoking at age 12 and continues to smoke to this day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

re Von Trapp: There is also a Rothschild family.

re Hogwart school: I've never read the Harry Potter books, which some claim to be evil, but I might as I sometimes read fantasy/fiction for entertainment . For example I've read "Lord of the Rings" many times, but I don't have a TV. Of course detractors and debunkers of the Urantia Book consider it to be evil and a work of fantasy similar to the Harry Potter books worthy of the Hogwart school.

re fantasy books:"Although The UB purports to be a revelation authored by altruistic, supermortal celestial beings hailing from distant planets and alternate time dimensions (14:1.4-6), it is instead a literary hoax perpetuated by one or more humans amidst the bustling hubris of early-to-mid-twentieth-century Chicago, USA."

http://www.ubhoax.org/

I have read the UB and have found much truth, meaning, and value contained therein. But I do not use it as source of power and authority over others who have the God given right to believe and worship differently from myself. Those who believe their method of worship is the only way to worship God; these are the ones who are living in a fantasy world. Those who believe their truth is the only truth are deceiving themselves.

Truth can sometimes be hidden by fiction in plain sight. Here is a quote from a fantasy novel by Stephen R. Donaldson:

"Be true. For there is also love in the world."

We all attempt to put conditions on love as the result of our spiritual immaturity. But the LOVE of our True Father is Unconditional.

PostPosted:  
Hi guys
Please help me... I’m from Poland and I’m not very accustomed with the Internet. I hear that I can make pretty easy money by being a video chat model.
Someone recommended me a website, ... He told me there are a lot of members because they have a full screen video chat and also the price is good. I would like to create a chat host account there but I couldn’t manage to create one. It keeps telling me I didn’t fill in all the required fields.

[Yes, it's spam -- user name deleted from list. admin]

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I'm beginning to see it all now. Spam in sheep's clothing :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

As To the original Concept of this Posting which was edited so you can not see what was originally said to inn-act my first response.

Would you give a small child free rein to craw off and engage it's environment, thus most likely encountering some unfortunate dangers..No as a good parent you would set boundaries. and unfortunately we live in a society that is full (if not the majority) of person that are emotionally immature and incapable of make healthier choices for them selfs not to mention a small child.
So when it was stated that Dr Fosters proposal to investigate the idea of Parental licensing was Big Bro. I stood up and said It was miss understood and taken as a attack on freedom and not an awareness of the real problem.

I spoke with him on this issue back in 2002 and nothing that was said was Big Brother it was how do we help our children in this world with so much going against them. If parent were held accountable than child right might start to make since to some people.

And please don't underestimate the real problem of parents out there that just don't care I work in the field and it is bigger than most people want to accept.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I don't understand J.B.

In this last post you state "Would you give a small child free rein to craw off and engage it's environment, thus most likely encountering some unfortunate dangers.."

Allrighty then. Parent tells child "don't touch that it's HOT !!!"

Parent has set a specific boundary for the child. But the child not having experienced the meaning of HOT for itself only hears the angry tone of the parent's voice. Child proceeds to touch the HOT object, when the parent isn't around to reinforce the boundary, and encounters an unfortunate danger.

Department of Human Services and Child Welfare stops by and sees the burns on the child and concludes the parent to be unfit and takes the child to a foster home.

In this admittedly simplified but plausible senario, who has failed whom?

The immature child resents the angry tone of voice and blames the parent for its pain. No real lesson is learned. But the mature child learns to reflect on the freedom of being allowed to make its own mistakes and learns a great lesson thereby.

In my opinion, Our Heavenly Parent has given us the freedom to experience the meaning of HOT for ourselves. But Big Brother attempts to enact laws which purport to control our behavior which are a denial of our spiritual heritage and limit our freedom of choice.

Of course, in this same senario, if the parent forced the child to touch the HOT object, intentionally causing the child pain, such a parent may very well be defined as unfit. Perhaps a parent can be taught why this is wrong, but a Parental License would not, could not guarantee such emotionally immature behavior. Same as the behavior of a child cannot be guaranteed.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Why do you so insist on bringing the concept of Big Brother in to this.
Do you have a issue with the B.B. So much that any thing that some one or any group that wishes to work towards solutions of real problems must in some way shape or form be a link to the Evil B.B.

Why can't it just be a recognition of good intentioned persons working for that future good of all in a time when there is no other resource for the smallest of us all in need. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

J.B. you said "So when it was stated that Dr Fosters proposal to investigate the idea of Parental licensing was Big Bro."

You mentioned Big Bro here in this quote. I am responding with this post and my previous post.

What is the purpose of parental licensing? To give experts a way to train people in the proper ways of parenting, right? After passing a mandatory parenting class, the graduate receives some type of license or certificate which legally qualifies him/her to become a parent as defined by these so-called experts.

Back in Jesus' day the experts trained people in the proper way to worship God, as though people were incapable of determining proper worship without the guidance of the experts who just so happened to make great profit from their overcontrol.

Big Brother has been around a long time. If this keeps up, soon we won't have any freedom left at all. I haven't read Dr. Foster's work, but perhaps he's got something there. However, I reserve the right to make up my own mind and not just take your's or anyone else's word for it. If I were married it would be up to my wife and myself to bring children into the world and determine the fitness of our parenting skills. We would not need the approval of any one else. No license or Big Brother required.

We're endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights such as life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Included in these God-given rights is the liberty to bring forth life in the form of children. Although I'm not a parent, I believe that most parents find their children to be a great source of happiness and want to be the best parents they can be. Because of this, parents have the liberty to educate themselves and improve their parenting skills if they so choose.

But in my opinion, whenever we exchange our God-given rights for a license granted by the state, we help Big Brother move us one step closer to the totalitarian government of the New World Order.

I refuse to help Big Brother in this undertaking. But by all means, if parents decide of their own free-will to improve their parenting skills, then help should be made available to them, but not forced upon them.

In my opinion, duly qualified experts who wish to help parents who have choosen to improve their parenting skills are doing the Lord's work. But so-called experts who attempt to force mandatory parental licensing on parents against their will are doing the work of Big Brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

If this is an argument than you will have a lonely conversation. I will not enroll.

It is not that big of a thing to accept that just because you can create a child means you are capable of giving that child all that it need to become a healthy person. All of our social ills stem from emotional deficits. Excluding those of organic dysfunction.

It was said long ago and I agree if you have to have a license to drive a car that how much more vital is it that the persons behind the development of a child's mind and spirit and body.

There are other country's that take this as a sacred obligation... here in America we find multiple way to pass the buck, and we as a country are paying that consequences.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

A Wrong turn??
I heard on the radio that a survey of educators said two of the most troubling things in the school system in 1950 were:
(1) truancy
(2) chewing gum on desks

Most troubling items in 1990 were:
(1) guns in school
(2) drugs in school

Huh ?? Wha' happened ??

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Kids are bombarded with so much "stuff" these days on TV, movies, radio, and let's not forget the commercials. They have to have everything they see, a lot of them are shifting for themselves because mom and dad are doing their own thing or working so much they can't be there to guide them, and role models are sorely lacking. In trying to give kids self-esteem, sometimes it comes across as self-indulgence.....and they feel they are entitled to everything because they are so wonderful and the world revolves around them. Where do they get these ideas? From adults who have all the power to bombard them with "stuff" that is not always good for them. Balance has been lost somehow. Just my observation and opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

“Children are permanently impressed only by the loyalties of their adult associates; percept or even example is not lastingly influential. Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality (1094).”

If we perceive that society has taken a wrong turn, then children are somehow being taught dysfunctional loyalties by the adults in their lives. "Experts" who were in turn taught dysfunctional loyalties as kids. And apparently this is why each generation seems to be more dysfunctional than the last.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

What experts are you talking about.
The school boards are run by business people and political minded persons wanting to work there way up to bigger and more political things.

Washington is determinately not a place of experts.

But in our communities and in the non-profits that are growing and working to make a difference in peoples live, they are what I would call an expert.
As well as the many others that have grown out of there dysfunction through many variable and chose to become Mental Health workers in all the forms there is.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

from paper 178 pg 1931: "You must not seek to promulgate truth nor to establish righteousness by the power of civil governments or by the enaction of secular laws. You may always labor to persuade men's minds, but you must never dare to compel them. You must not forget the great law of human fairness which I have taught you in positive form: Whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do even so to them."

CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE
If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.
Copyright © 1972 by Dorothy Law Nolte

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to KIDS COUNT! KIDS COUNT, a project of the Annie E. Casey Foundation, is a national and state-by-state effort to track the status of children in the U.S. By providing policymakers and citizens with benchmarks of child well-being, KIDS COUNT seeks to enrich local, state, and national discussions concerning ways to secure better futures for all children.

http://www.aecf.org/kidscount/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About CHARACTERplus

Having good character means understanding, caring about, and acting upon core ethical values such as honesty, respect, and responsibility.CHARACTERplus, an initiative of Cooperating School Districts, is devoted to advancing the cause and importance of character education. This organization is designed to address issues related to student character, responsibility, and academic achievement. CHARACTERplus provides quality training, resources, and leadership to help parents and schools accomplish one of their most important jobs – the character development of the next generation.

http://www.characterplus.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Loads of research points to teaching kids emotional literacy as the foundation of happiness. Emotional literacy is a person’s ability to read and understand emotions—to recognize, interpret, and respond constructively to their own emotions and the emotions of others. Emotional literacy is one of the most important keys to mental health and well-being.”

Christine Carter PhD. Director of the Greater Good Science Center at the UC Berkeley, Institute of Human Development

http://www.kidscandoanything.com/

Last edited by rhermen on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:07 am +0000, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I think this is an extremely interesting discussion. Last week I has the opportunity to see the movie "Freedom Writers". It is a true story of one teacher making a difference in the lives of the welfare children discussed here. I commend it to each of you. It is a superb discussion of the way one dedicated teacher can create better people and better parents out of the neglected children in our poorest schools. Please view the movie. And I hope it will be interesting enough to start a new thread on this subject focusing on the possiblities.

Al

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next