Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Iris,

You are right, of course...ideally, this is the order in which we find God in others, by first finding God within. In fact, this is how it worked with me so many years ago. I was not a people-lover so much before, but grew to see God in others after being born of the Spirit, and thus, to love them better.

It does work both ways, though, as in this quote about some good advice from Jesus to the apostles:

Quote:
p1727:4 155:3.4 Increasingly they learned from Jesus to look upon human personalities in terms of their possibilities in time and in eternity. They learned that many souls can best be led to love the unseen God by being first taught to love their brethren whom they can see. And it was in this connection that new meaning became attached to the Master's pronouncement concerning unselfish service for one's fellows: "Inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me."

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1407#U155_3_4

We can see how service truly is a privilege in this regard when it helps us to see and serve God in our siblings...a great relationship builder for sure.

With love,

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
These scientific, moral, and spiritual insights, these cosmic responses, are innate in the cosmic mind, which endows all will creatures. The experience of living never fails to develop these three cosmic intuitions; they are constitutive in the self-consciousness of reflective thinking. But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking.192:01-05

The mechanistic naturalism of some supposedly educated men and the thoughtless secularism of the man in the street are both exclusively concerned with things; they are barren of all real values, sanctions, and satisfactions of a spiritual nature, as well as being devoid of faith, hope, and eternal assurances. One of the great troubles with modern life is that man thinks he is too busy to find time for spiritual meditation and religious devotion. p2077:3 195:6.7

In the Master's life on Urantia, this and all other worlds of the local creation discover a new and higher type of religion, religion based on personal spiritual relations with the Universal Father and wholly validated by the supreme authority of genuine personal experience. This living faith of Jesus was more than an intellectual reflection, and it was not a mystic meditation. p2087:4 196:0.4

In winning souls for the Master, it is not the first mile of compulsion, duty, or convention that will transform man and his world, but rather the second mile of free service and liberty-loving devotion that betokens the Jesusonian reaching forth to grasp his brother in love and sweep him on under spiritual guidance toward the higher and divine goal of mortal existence. Christianity even now willingly goes the first mile, but mankind languishes and stumbles along in moral darkness because there are so few genuine second-milers—so few professed followers of Jesus who really live and love as he taught his disciples to live and love and serve. p2084:5 195:10.5

Man can never wisely decide temporal issues or transcend the selfishness of personal interests unless he meditates in the presence of the sovereignty of God and reckons with the realities of divine meanings and spiritual values. 1093:01-02

Quote:
The great religious teachers and the prophets of past ages were not extreme mystics. They were God-knowing men and women who best served their God by unselfish ministry to their fellow mortals. Jesus often took his apostles away by themselves for short periods to engage in meditation and prayer, but for the most part he kept them in service-contact with the multitudes. The soul of man requires spiritual exercise as well as spiritual nourishment. p1000:3 91:7.2

Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one's spiritual life with one's fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious. p1095:3 100:1.8

But the greatest of all methods of problem solving I have learned from Jesus, your Master. I refer to that which he so consistently practices, and which he has so faithfully taught you, the isolation of worshipful meditation. In this habit of Jesus' going off so frequently by himself to commune with the Father in heaven is to be found the technique, not only of gathering strength and wisdom for the ordinary conflicts of living, but also of appropriating the energy for the solution of the higher problems of a moral and spiritual nature. But even correct methods of solving problems will not compensate for inherent defects of personality or atone for the absence of the hunger and thirst for true righteousness. p1774:2 160:1.10

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Iris,

You wrote:

Quote:
I know there are folks on this forum who think I am the height of arrogance to even believe that it is possible to reach number 6 yet alone attempt to constantly push people to this level of "idealism". It is not just an ideal, it is what Jesus asked us to do. Why not just do it or at least try?

Maybe it is less a case of arrogance towards you than frustration at feeling far from the goal. I know that sometimes I have to THINK my way to the Father, rather than to be able to feel the presence of God - even after all these years. I am so glad to know that he is there, even when I can't get the feeling...(another gift of the Revelation). That faith is my lifeline.

Capacity for receptivity of the Spirit varies, of course. And maybe it even varies from phase to phase in a life.

I can go through the motions of doing to others as I know Jesus would do - even if I can't always "FEEL the love." I find this to be very important - character-building as well as God consciousness-building. And sometimes, I can be overwhelmed with love for a person or persons who have been put on my path, and who I feel bidden to serve. Lovability (lovableness?) is spotty in human beings, and sometimes ego has to be overcome - that may determine spirit-receptivity at times, too.

But we are all so imperfect, and we are all so faltering in our steps. I think some of this finding the love for others has a lot to do with early childhood experience - I know this can be a cop-out, but that's where the minded decision-making comes in for me. Even if I can't always FEEL number 6, I almost always DO it anyway - just because it is the right thing to do. And my reward? Why, increased ability to "feel" God, of course - many times, in the moment of service. I am nowhere near consistent and nowhere near perfection. And even if my heart is not always in the right place, my brain is, and my desire is...

I hope that counts in the end.

Sorry to make this about me...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Mortal man cannot possibly know the infinitude of the heavenly Father. Finite mind cannot think through such an absolute truth or fact. But this same finite human being can actually feel—literally experience—the full and undiminished impact of such an infinite Father's LOVE. Such a love can be truly experienced, albeit while quality of experience is unlimited, quantity of such an experience is strictly limited by the human capacity for spiritual receptivity and by the associated capacity to love the Father in return.p50:4 3:4.6

Quote:
The physical presence of the Infinite is the reality of the material universe. The mind presence of Deity must be determined by the depth of individual intellectual experience and by the evolutionary personality level. The spiritual presence of Divinity must of necessity be differential in the universe. It is determined by the spiritual capacity of receptivity and by the degree of the consecration of the creature's will to the doing of the divine will. 
p64:4 5:2.1

The doing of the will of God is nothing more or less than an exhibition of creature willingness to share the inner life with God—with the very God who has made such a creature life of inner meaning-value possible. p1221:2 111:5.1

Quote:
Prayer did not bring the spirit on the day of Pentecost, but it did have much to do with determining the capacity of receptivity which characterized the individual believers. Prayer does not move the divine heart to liberality of bestowal, but it does so often dig out larger and deeper channels wherein the divine bestowals may flow to the hearts and souls of those who thus remember to maintain unbroken communion with their Maker through sincere prayer and true worship. p2065:8 194:3.20

Prayer led Jesus up to the supercommunion of his soul with the Supreme Rulers of the universe of universes. Prayer will lead the mortals of earth up to the communion of true worship. The soul's spiritual capacity for receptivity determines the quantity of heavenly blessings which can be personally appropriated and consciously realized as an answer to prayer. 1621:03

The earnest and longing repetition of any petition, when such a prayer is the sincere expression of a child of God and is uttered in faith, no matter how ill-advised or impossible of direct answer, never fails to expand the soul's capacity for spiritual receptivity. p1621:1 144:4.2

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:16 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I feel your pain

I am too serious and get in to conflict all the time...i have4 to have a better since of humor.

It amazes me that every one can see the simple truth, than I am reminded that we don't think alike or dream alike, or proses information the same.

So it always comes back to me...it is my journey, not theirs..that i am shearing.

My hope , My dreams, my works to achieve a higher relationship. and MY Struggles.

The best i can hope for in regards to others is that as i live and shear my life, as do they, that I learn some thing of value from then ,and they learn something of value from me.

Let us all stay True To The Journey...and learn to Love unconditionaly

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Is it theroretically possible to be right all the time and still be screwed up? :idea: 8)