Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:53 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

alwilliams767

I recommend site below for your kids. It is very important for students to remember that quality of study can often be more important than quantity. :wink:
http://academic.cuesta.edu/acasupp/as/201.HTM

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

This is from the link that Red provided:

Quote:
Know the percentages! We retain:

10% of what we read
20% of what you hear
30% of what we see
50% of what we see and hear
70% of what we talk about with others
80% of what we experience personally
95% of what we teach to others

Love to all,

Stacey

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks Red and Stacey, That's good stuff. It's good for sharing with others.

Peace to You both and all here this fine morning. :-)

PostPosted:  

rhermen wrote:
The world is changing, jobs are evolving, and far too many students are simply not being prepared to be successful adults:

* Seventy percent of eighth graders are not proficient in reading—and most will never catch up.
* Every year, more than 1.2 million students drop out of high school.
* Many of those who do graduate are not ready for college, for the workplace, and for life.

This is not about schools in some far-off city. This is about the students you see in your own neighborhood. This is not someone else's problem. This is an American problem that affects us all.

Hi all, if I may.
Of course theres not one country in our world that doesnt have problems in this area, however the issue in this case I find lays in the perception of lifesytle, which is taught "in the home" first. I dont want to step on anyones toes. I want you to know I love you and this is merely a version of thought okay. So please dont throw gummie bears at me okay. O:)

(Its really no ones fault, its not about fault, right or wrong...its simply a way of life with consequences, like for every country)

If we take comparisons as examples:

The children of the USA are primarily taught by what they see and not by what they feel.
Already in Kindergarden it begins, I recall almost 40 years ago that every morning we all stood up and placed our right hand over our heart to recite the national athem - that at the age of 4!!. Kids of that age should be learning to pet kitty cats, feed the hamster and be nice to animals, trees, and insects. This get up every morning and put your hands on your chest military style I suppose was to implant nationalism - yet such doesnt implant "worldism", if you know what I mean.

Most other countries are beyond that, because of learning thru WW1 and WW2 they dont teach their kids to stand up in class and soley respect their birth country only, instead most encourage their children to travel into foreign countries so to learn other cultures, and "see" firsthand that other cultures are not bad, hurtful etc. Whereas the politics of US maybe allows 1% of the children/teenagers to be able to travel into foreign countries, the europeans for instance give their youth incentives in school to do exactly that. Thats why there are so many whom have already traveled to Iran, Spain, England, Denmark, Holland, Italy etc by the age of 12. Thats why in europe most people dont hate nor fear other cultures. A kid in the US is lucky if it "wins a trip to a county fair in the next state" but are forced to get up every morning and recite.

Then theres another view of the box:
...because politics cause most families to have to have two working adults in the home, or single moms / single dads .... the kids come too short in emotional stability. (In some cases even if mom isnt working, then she is not taking the time to understand her real function in the childs life). ergo: parents then do not play the role as parents ergo "custodians of the daily mind and matter, teaching morals and self worth".... but rather try to compensate their own incompetance with means of "gifting". Sort of like kids having kids.

The child learns that all it has to do is pitch a temper tantrum long enough and mom or dad will find a way to get that Playstation Portable, that TV, those jeans, that mobilphone or whatever for them, and because all they had to do was pitch that fit all of their childhood then.... when they grow to be teenagers, most "have no sense of responsibilty" because they had to "earn nothing thru thier own behavioral, moral doing, yet recieved much".

They end up having no true values by means of merit. This causing confusion because the real life out there doesnt work for them by means of temper tantrums anymore.

"That teacher in school is not mom or dad, whom will tell you, you`re doing good when your not", ...."that man in the gas station isnt going to hand you that candy bar, so you`ll shut up screaming - he`s gonna call the cops", ...."that neighbor down the road doesnt care if you dont have 10 dollars to go skating with and you cant force him by means of slamming the doors and throwing things thru the room, cursing him out or threatning him, if you do it in his house you`ll get arrested ".. Those are just some simple things which happen to kids whom have parents whom are never really there for their kids. Country politics which show more emphasis on "promoting global fear onto their citizens rather than global love" is the outcome....

I am not talking about Help Organisations and such I am speaking of the bottom line teachings from the childs first breath in daily living.
    Is politics & religion making ways for parents to have enough money so that mom or dad CAN afford to stay at home?
    Is politics & religion making sure that fear or hate based TV Shows are not allowed to be shown to children?
    Is politics & religion making sure that guns and weapons are not being made readily available to moral unqualified persons of any age?
    Is politics & religion promoting contact to other cultures, making it available to all children?
the list is very very long....

The "soul" of the american person KNOWS deep down something is wrong, but because of this deep rooted brain washing attitude coming from politics and religion, the individual person can get mighty confused as to what to believe.

I find the drop out rate to be because by the time the kid is a teenager, its learned nothing more than to survive to get what it personally feels it needs for the moment. The actual judgement of what it needs, is simply unripe because the leadership was unripe as well. The parents shift the role of a parent onto the "teachers in school" instead of it making sure that its child is ready to learn from that teacher. They expect the teacher to teach their child the basics....how to act, how to respect, how to love itself, the parents forget that thats their job from the moment the child is born. If a mother finds nothing wrong with a child that wears makeup, miniskirts and a T-shirt onwhich it states "I`m horny" at the age of 9 then it is telling the child that by means of NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT IT and thus the child feels like its being attacked if someone else says "hey kido, thats wrong, because you are making yourself look like a tramp".
If a father finds nothing wrong with taking his son with him to shoot deer simply so he has the head of the deer on his wall as a trophy, then he is telling the kid "its okay to kill things for pleasure", why does he wonder when its HIS son whom robs the neighborhood gas station and shoots the owner.

Alot of Parents are not thinking as adults but as teenagers themselves.

We dont need "strong schools" we need "better and more responsible parents"!
It always begins "at home" and the answer to the question will always be: "What would love do now"?

PostPosted:  

Brava, Eve! Good job!

PostPosted:  

Yea! I'm standing next to Gerdean clapping loudly. This is such a simple and concrete concept...why in the world is it so difficult for the masses to grasp? Seems we lost a hefty portion of a generation's ability to think rationally and don't know exactly which one or how.

But...believe the pendulum has swung so far that it has to reverse its path...hopefully soon?

Peace
Jo

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)