Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Strong American Schools
PostPosted:  

The world is changing, jobs are evolving, and far too many students are simply not being prepared to be successful adults:

* Seventy percent of eighth graders are not proficient in reading—and most will never catch up.
* Every year, more than 1.2 million students drop out of high school.
* Many of those who do graduate are not ready for college, for the workplace, and for life.

This is not about schools in some far-off city. This is about the students you see in your own neighborhood. This is not someone else's problem. This is an American problem that affects us all.

http://www.edin08.com/GetTheFacts.aspx

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p1220:3 111:4.4 Any civilization is in jeopardy when three quarters of its youth enter materialistic professions and devote themselves to the pursuit of the sensory activities of the outer world. Civilization is in danger when youth neglect to interest themselves in ethics, sociology, eugenics, philosophy, the fine arts, religion, and cosmology.

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:43 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In California right now I believe it is one out of three drop out of high school. I find that "way" to high of a drop out rate.

When you consider how many are entering
Quote:
"materialistic professions and devote themselves to the pursuit of the sensory activities of the outer world."
With all the electronic toys kids have now a days, I'd have to say the percentage involved in this is even higher than 33.3%.

Last edited by Joer on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:41 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The problem, as I understand it, is that our educational system has failed to produce people who think ... because they are trying to get them to think about things that do not have value to them. They are being taught to be obedient, to follow orders, but it isn't working; kids have evolved in the past 200 years since the method of education in our country was installed. Rather than teaching kids they have value and something to bring to the community, the values they are being taught by their elders (i.e., TV commercials, sit-coms, and fashions) are huge distractions from that which young minds are capable of grasping and doing and being. They want real meaning, but are getting glitz instead. They are being sold down the river by a system that has outgrown itself and can't keep up with itself. The Education System needs recreated from the inside out.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p291:3 26:5.3 That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: "In liaison with God, nothing—absolutely nothing—is impossible."

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

My point was that kids should be taught that THEY have value (not values). They are not commodities. And this CAN be taught in an academic environment. I'm not saying they should be taught wrong or right, or creation versus evolution, or the morality of sexual orientation or birth control or abortion.

As long as kids are seen as products (whether of the home, the school or the nation) instead of individuals, the problem will only get worse. It is now cranking out unwed mothers, gang member, people who cannot read and write but who hold college degrees. The system is not working because the a priori is wrong.

They need to be encouraged with an attitude that says: I CAN. Instead of being held back, held down, held in check with a lot of behavior modification like sit still, eyes front, memorization, stimulus response. The mind of a child is naturally curious and would love to learn, but our teachers destroy that instinct. They beat it out of us because it is not contributing to the capitalistic fervor, or nationalistic dogmatism which is very conditional. I'll love you IF you obey; I'll love you IF you succeed; I'll love you IF you pass. Everybody is not cut from the same cloth; we are not cookie cutter people at heart; but our schools try to manufacture us that way, each year turning out more less-than-quality cookies.

Not long ago I edited a book for a client. It is entitled "Waiting for Goldberg" and it emphasizes that today's kids are not being prepared for tomorrow's world because the educational system is not keeping up and not focusing on what matters; it dramatizes all the things that are wrong with our educational system, then proposes a solution, a major overhaul in keeping with Plutarch's statement: "A mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be lighted." They are at http://www.todayskids.org. It was very exciting just to be working on a book like that.

I then edited a woman's Masters thesis, set forth as speculative fiction, which was about the exact same thing, so a lot of people know that the schools aren't working, but institutions are caught in the old paradigm and, alas, our educational system, along without country, might have to fall apart before it can be put together better. We must have a better foundation than economics. Money cannot love.

This topic is very exciting to me. Even though I don't have kids in school, I know how powerful an influence our educators have over us and our future because they impacted me when I was a child, a youth, a student. But I am leaving town today and cannot defend my position or further it, so carry on without me. I'll be back.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Community Service: A Family's Guide to Getting Involved

Quote:
It's easy to feel disconnected, as many parents juggle work, school, kids, and activity after activity. But some simple things can bring a family closer — playing a game, going for a hike, or cooking a meal together.

One of the most satisfying, fun, and productive ways to unite is volunteering for community service projects. Volunteerism also sets a good example for your kids and helps the community.

http://kidshealth.org/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

John Taylor Gatto: Challenging the Myths of Modern Schooling and the Underground History of Education

John Taylor Gatto is a former New York State and New York City Teacher of the Year and the author, most recently, of The Underground History of American Education. He was a participant in the Harper's Magazine forum "School on a Hill," which appeared in the September 2003 issue.

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/hp/frames.htm

Quote:
I taught for thirty years in some of the worst schools in Manhattan, and in some of the best, and during that time I became an expert in boredom. Boredom was everywhere in my world, and if you asked the kids, as I often did, why they felt so bored, they always gave the same answers: They said the work was stupid, that it made no sense, that they already knew it. They said they wanted to be doing something real, not just sitting around. They said teachers didn't seem to know much about their subjects and clearly weren't interested in learning more. And the kids were right: their teachers were every bit as bored as they were.

Last edited by rhermen on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:46 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi group,

I believe all of us here can agree to the broken state of our public, and perhaps some or most of the private educational institutions.

Likewise agreed that what is needed is the inclusion of value teachings and the other specifics that TUB mentions.

Question is how to accomplish that. Any inclusion of values, morals, goodness ect.,,to be effective, would have to include explanation of the source of these values-morals-goodness. And we therefore know where that is leading. Real cosmology-spiritualism-religion ect....

Now you're hearing the sound of that roar in the background again....the peoples screaming against the inclusion of "religion" into the secular institutions. That'll never happen. No time soon.

Tricks won't work. I don't see how value-morals can be taught outside of the direct approach. Much less to mention that any back-door approach to their inclusion is dishonest....just the exact opposite of what it is intended to accomplish.

The only alternative I see is for large numbers of the general populace to possess the requisite cosmology. My my how can that be accomplished ??

Oh my....here goes Vann again suggesting that TUB should be proclaimed to the general public sooner rather than later.

Quick !!! :arrow: Lock up Vann before he goes evangelizing the UB again :mrgreen: :P

No one will ever ultimately be able to teach anyone anything new that is learned from TUB without eventually telling them that it came from TUB.

Sure, you can mention something to someone in passing without having to tell them where your info is coming from, but that is completely different from proposing institutional curriculum changes.

Be well

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p291:3 26:5.3 That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: "In liaison with God, nothing—absolutely nothing—is impossible."

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:45 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Iris,

The reason the other books you mention haven't been 100% successful in revitalizing good world order is because they don't contain enough accurate truth-information.

The Urantia Book DOES. Big difference.

Later gater :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

I'll have to agree and disagree with Iris... she said "the Bible hasn't had any effect." The Bible was part of the public education system up until the early 1900s -- it was used, among other subjects, for literature, spelling, history, and civics. It helped elevate vocabulary, spelling, and critical thinking. It provided youth values and gave them concepts to rely upon in times of confusion, stress, or need. The teachings of the Bible are way better as a method for combating the vicissitudes of life than now when youth rely upon Hollywood celebrities and the lyrics in popular songs as their standard. The Bible-taught generation began to die out in the 1950s. That alone should be enough of an indication for why we've experienced the radical societal changes from that time forward.

Iris said "The culture simply does not support it" and I'll agree with that. Although Christianity is the most forgiving of religions -- perhaps second to Hinduism, but I can't see us becoming a Hindu nation -- I wouldn't want to see compulsory Bible reading in the public schools today. But we do need to teach the Bible as history and literature; children do need to have a foundation in basic religious teaching, which they can accept or reject. Young minds are too immature to grasp the complexities of The Urantia Book but the basics of science, philosophy, and religion are indispensable topics in any progressive education system.

Civilization is a racial acquirement; it is not biologically inherent; hence must all children be reared in an environment of culture, while each succeeding generation of youth must receive anew its education. The superior qualities of civilization--scientific, philosophic, and religious--are not transmitted from one generation to another by direct inheritance. These cultural achievements are preserved only by the enlightened conservation of social inheritance. (68:0.2)

The advances of true civilization are all born in this inner world of mankind. It is only the inner life that is truly creative. Civilization can hardly progress when the majority of the youth of any generation devote their interests and energies to the materialistic pursuits of the sensory or outer world. (111:4.3)

Larry

Last edited by lwatkins on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your good comments.

I can only add in support of my point that all of us are here thinking about and discussing this issue only because we possess and believe in The Urantia Book.

To supplement your thoughts Larry....you provided two UB quotes.

See what I mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:46 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey people,

Moving along. It's one thing and very easy to make the statement that it would be highly desirable to see character building, values, morals ect...taught in and become the focus of all educational efforts like the UB suggests.

Now for the hard part. Someone has to compile a presentable curriculum complete with a textbook(s) that our secular educational institutions will accept.

Y'all get to working on that :smile: