Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

The Newest Painting: Jesus, Ganid, and Gonod at the Library in Alexandria

The details of this beautiful painting can be found in the following story: "At Alexandria," and the particular text follows here:

"By the fourth hour after landing they were settled near the eastern end of the long and broad avenue, one hundred feet wide and five miles long, which stretched on out to the western limits of this city of one million people. After the first survey of the city's chief attractions—university (museum), library, the royal mausoleum of Alexander, the palace, temple of Neptune, theater, and gymnasium—Gonod addressed himself to business while Jesus and Ganid went to the library, the greatest in the world. Here were assembled nearly a million manuscripts from all the civilized world: Greece, Rome. Palestine, Parthia, India, China, and even Japan. In this library Ganid saw the largest collection of Indian literature in all the world; and they spent some time here each day throughout their stay in Alexandria. Jesus told Ganid about the translation of the Hebrew scriptures into Greek at this place. And they discussed again and again all the religions of the world, Jesus endeavoring to point out to this young mind the truth in each, always adding: "But Yahweh is the God developed from the revelations of Melchizedek and the covenant of Abraham. The Jews were the offspring of Abraham and subsequently occupied the very land wherein Melchizedek had lived and taught, and from which he sent teachers to all the world; and their religion eventually portrayed a clearer recognition of the Lord God of Israel as the Universal Father in heaven than any other world religion."

"Under Jesus' direction Ganid made a collection of the teachings of all those religions of the world which recognized a Universal Deity, even though they might also give more or less recognition to subordinate deities. After much discussion Jesus and Ganid decided that the Romans had no real God in their religion, that their religion was hardly more than emperor worship. The Greeks, they concluded, had a philosophy but hardly a religion with a personal God. The mystery cults they discarded because of the confusion of their multiplicity, and because their varied concepts of Deity seemed to be derived from other and older religions.

"Although these translations were made at Alexandria, Ganid did not finally arrange these selections and add his own personal conclusions until near the end of their sojourn in Rome. He was much surprised to discover that the best of the authors of the world's sacred literature all more or less clearly recognized the existence of an eternal God and were much in agreement with regard to his character and his relationship with mortal man."

Jesus traveled with this fortunate Indian couple as translator and tutor for nearly two years; this trip through the Roman world comprises period of Jesus' life about which the world has been completely unaware prior to the revelation of The Urantia Book.

For a complete background on Jesus' tour of the Mediterranean world with his Indian companions, please see The Twenty-Ninth Year (A.D. 23)

And to read the complete section detailing the adventures of the three travelers throughout the Roman world, please see On The Way To Rome .

We hope you enjoy this beautiful new painting. It now joins the others already done to comprise the most complete body of artwork depicting the Bible’s "lost years of Jesus” now told in The Urantia Book. Our fondest hope is that these scenes of Jesus' life will inspire believers everywhere to explore the matchless life of Jesus as we have been given it in The Urantia Book, and to appreciate this very "human Jesus" living the life of a son of man as well as a Son of God.

What an awakening the world would experience if it could only see Jesus as he really lived on earth and know, firsthand, his life-giving teachings! 195:9.8

The Truthbook Team

Truthbook.com

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

What a beautiful image....one can only imagine what his travels were like...the everyday living...

PostPosted:  

Wonder why artists always ignore the fact that the Master wore a turbin? Gonod and Ganid got one here.

P.2007 - §7 As Jesus saw his mother, with John and his brother and sister, he smiled but said nothing. Meanwhile the four soldiers assigned to the Master's crucifixion, as was the custom, had divided his clothes among them, one taking the sandals, one the turban, one the girdle, and the fourth the cloak...

PostPosted:  

I often wonder why artists completely disregard all the scholarly writing on the typical Jewish garb of first century Palestine. Men's tunics were usually shorter than the one pictured; only the wealthy could afford long flowing robes. In that day, a Jewish man's tunic was red, yellow, black, striped or in the natural ecru color of wool and cotton. White was worn only as festal garb. Also, the fact that Jesus had a seamless tunic proves that he wore modern garb. The loom necessary to do this was invented in the early part of the first century and tunics made on it were initially rare.

Also, did you know that Jewish men were not allowed to wear underwear according to the Torah? They had to be able to prove they were circumcised. Jewish men were considered naked when the took off their outer cloak. So, when Jesus washed the apostles' feet, he was technically "naked". A wide, usually colorful belt was worn around the waist to keep the tunic from blowing in the breeze. When the men needed to "gird their loins", they did so by wrapping their tunics and tucking them up into their belts. Wearing loincloths under clothing would not have been hygienic either, not having toilet paper. Oh, did you know that people during that time used their left hand to clean themselves, which is why we shake hands with the right (yuck), and another reason why ritual hand washing was so stressed.

Although Jesus may have had a prayer shawl, it was customary for Jewish men to have fringe with blue thread at the bottom of the cloak, the tzitzit, as demanded in Deuteronomy. The blue thread is called the tekhelet, worn in order to fulfill the Torah which states: "So that you will remember to do the commandments". The tzitzit worn by holy men were believed to have spiritual powers which explains why the woman who touched the fringe on Jesus' cloak believed she would be healed of her menstrual disorder.

The average person had only one set of clothing. Only the rich had multiple robes, which is why clothing was handed down after death or resold. In fact, merchants usually sold new tunics without the openings for the head and arms cut, just to prove that they were never worn. Likewise, when common people were invited to feasts or weddings, they were offered fresh clothing for the feast by the wealthy host.

Everyone wore turbans or veils because to leave the head exposed in the hot Palestinian sun was uncomfortable. The usual turban was made of cotton or wool cloth and fastened under the chin with a cord. If you believe that the Shroud of Turin is an image of a first century crucified man, then you might find it interesting that the back of the image shows an indentation in the hair which indicates that it was either tied back in a pony tail, or continually pressed down by a turban or hat.

PostPosted:  

Beautiful painting! Somehow that is always how I imagined it would be from reading the papers in the Urantia Book.

Thanks you for the link!

God Bless,
Bill

PostPosted:  

Interesting factoids, thank you, Bonita. I didn't know some of these (e.g. the "left hand" thing :)

It is curious to observe how one grows. E.g. many years ago I even insisted on wearing tsitsit myself and growing a beard (and have some friends who still do, though many have turned away when I told them that I consider The Urantia Book to be a true revelation of true God --- you see, some people "search for the truth" only in the hope that the truth will fit the mental box which they have constructed for it but when it turns out not to fit they don't wish to have _this_ sort of truth and keep searching for another). After I stopped wearing them I believed that perhaps the "essence" of all goodness is encoded in the Ten Commandments and have typeset nicely "The Little Book" containing them in all the languages that I know. But gradually I realized that this too is a vanity of vanities and vexation of spirit. All manmade things and symbols dissolve and perish like dry grass but he who does the will of God abides for ever.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Yes, besides those who search for "truth" that conforms to their current beliefs there are also those who are on a continual quest -- who appreciate the search more than any finding may provide. They will come across TUB, give it a read, say Wow! isn't that something, and then continue with the search, continuing to find further pleasures and answers while the mental restlessness never ceases.
Larry

PostPosted:  

tigran wrote:
Interesting factoids, thank you, Bonita. I didn't know some of these (e.g. the "left hand" thing :))

We can thank the History Channel for that little factoid. It was a documentary on toilets. Only someone twisted like me would sit glued to the TV watching that sort of thing.

I've often wondered if Jesus wore teffilin. It's hard for me to imagine him ascribing to amulets. But we know from archeological digs that teffillin were used extensively in the second Temple period. 1st century fragments were found at Qumran, some with the original parchment folded and securely tied in their original compartments. However, they were very tiny and inconspicuous, the bayit found at Qumran measuring only one half inch. We know that Jesus chastised the Pharisees for their pretentious phylacteries, so would he have worn the smaller less conspicuous one, or none at all? I just don't know.

Code:
P1907:1, 175:1.9 Furthermore, these self-centered rulers delight in doing their good works so that they will be seen by men. They make broad their phylacteries and enlarge the borders of their official robes. They crave the chief places at the feasts and demand the chief seats in the synagogues. They covet laudatory salutations in the market places and desire to be called rabbi by all men. And even while they seek all this honor from men, they secretly lay hold of widows' houses and take profit from the services of the sacred temple. For a pretense these hypocrites make long prayers in public and give alms to attract the notice of their fellows.

Matthew 23:5, "Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long . . .

PostPosted:  

Bonita wrote:
I've often wondered if Jesus wore teffilin. It's hard for me to imagine him ascribing to amulets. But we know from archeological digs that teffillin were used extensively in the second Temple period. 1st century fragments were found at Qumran, some with the original parchment folded and securely tied in their original compartments. However, they were very tiny and inconspicuous, the bayit found at Qumran measuring only one half inch. We know that Jesus chastised the Pharisees for their pretentious phylacteries, so would he have worn the smaller less conspicuous one, or none at all? I just don't know.

I do not know for sure but my guess is that he may have done initially but as he grew up and learnt that all those things are irrelevant and even the "Ten Commandments" are not quite as fundamental/eternal as the Pharisees taught, he probably gave up. This is why he destroyed all his writings, including the Ten Commandments and other written mottos. One can argue saying "the reason is that he remembered Immanuel's advice and simply followed it" but I would say Immanuel's advice was not arbitrary but had a good reason and the wise Immanuel foresaw it that the views of Jesus would evolve gradually during his lifetime and if any "snapshot" of them is left over then it would be subsequently idolized by the people and mislead them.

Remember the questions he asked the teachers in the temple on his first visit. They were NOT some super-wise deep sayings that only some super-human celestial being could have asked. No, they were very naive plain things which must necessarily originate in any _sincere_ child's mind who observed those practices and took them seriously, even despite the underlying assumption of the validity of the whole priestcraft system. I think this is an important reason why TUB actually quotes those questions instead of just saying (like the Bible) that he simply amazed the teachers with his wisdom. There was nothing particularly wise or deep about them --- only plain childlike sincerety and earnest desire to know the truth.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
P.435 - §7 The keys of the kingdom of heaven are: sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity. All men have these keys. Men use them--advance in spirit status--by decisions, by more decisions, and by more decisions. The highest moral choice is the choice of the highest possible value, and always--in any sphere, in all of them--this is to choose to do the will of God.

PostPosted:  

Good quote Tony...It is my will that thy will be done. Shine the light brightly on our paths today so that we may follow...Amen. and not fall off into the bushes and scrape our knees... :wink:

PostPosted:  

tigran wrote:
One can argue saying "the reason is that he remembered Immanuel's advice and simply followed it" but I would say Immanuel's advice was not arbitrary but had a good reason and the wise Immanuel foresaw it that the views of Jesus would evolve gradually during his lifetime and if any "snapshot" of them is left over then it would be subsequently idolized by the people and mislead them.

Interesting observation and probably true. It is a fact that his spiritual life evolved and is an example of how such things happen in the ideal human. I've taken solace in knowing that Jesus as a youth suffered from confusion over many things not unlike I do. And likewise, I would not want anyone reading my spiritual journals from my early years; heck, not even in my golden years, lest I be hopelessly embarrassed.

tigran wrote:
Remember the questions he asked the teachers in the temple on his first visit. They were NOT some super-wise deep sayings that only some super-human celestial being could have asked. No, they were very naive plain things which must necessarily originate in any _sincere_ child's mind who observed those practices and took them seriously, even despite the underlying assumption of the validity of the whole priestcraft system. I think this is an important reason why TUB actually quotes those questions instead of just saying (like the Bible) that he simply amazed the teachers with his wisdom. There was nothing particularly wise or deep about them --- only plain childlike sincerety and earnest desire to know the truth.

Thanks for bringing these questions up. I had to review them.

Code:
1.   What really exists in the holy of holies, behind the veil?
2.   Why should mothers in Israel be segregated from the male temple worshipers?
3.   If God is a father who loves his children, why all this slaughter of animals to gain divine favor—has the teaching of Moses been misunderstood?
4.   Since the temple is dedicated to the worship of the Father in heaven, is it consistent to permit the presence of those who engage in secular barter and trade?
5.   Is the expected Messiah to become a temporal prince to sit on the throne of David, or is he to function as the light of life in the establishment of a spiritual kingdom? 125:5.3-7

And then the next day he asked about prayer. I can't imagine what the Jewish teachers must have been thinking when he dared to suggest that the teachings of Moses had been misunderstood. I'm sure he only got away with it because of his age. And likewise, I can imagine my young godson of the same age innocently asking these same questions today.