Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:15 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Dear Truthbook Subscribers,

Text changes to The Urantia Book have taken place over the course of the past 50 years, and through the course of many printings. These changes, while documented in some places, have not been made widely available to the readership in general, and have never been pooled into a single document.

There has been a good deal of speculation and controversy over this subject in recent years, and so, the Truthbook team has worked together to finally list every change that has been made to the original Urantia Foundation printing, through all subsequent Foundation printings, to the very latest Uversa Press printing. We at Truthbook feel that this document represents both the facts and the truth.

The document is the latest - and most comprehensive - listing of all changes made to the text of The Urantia Book ever attempted. This document was created from separate lists complied by Urantia Foundation, Uversa Press, Merritt Horn, JJ John son and David Kantor. Larry Watkins added to, compiled and co-ordinated all of the lists. Mary Jo Garascia edited the final document for Truthbook.com.

When you study this document, you’ll quickly see that both publishers have stayed true to the original Revelators’ text, despite any unfounded rumors or allegations that you may have heard. Typos did occur, and the English language has evolved, in terms of spelling of certain words. But the text appears to have remained pure, and the meanings are unadulterated.

The ensuing changes are relatively small, considering the enormous amount of text. Nevertheless, what a miracle our forefathers performed to launch the first edition almost error free and accomplishing that task without computers!!!!

The document is now available on the Truthbook site at
http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1250
so that you can acce ss it at anytime. We hope that you will consider it a valuable addition to your Urantia Book reference library.

Sincerely,

The Truthbook team

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The Truthbook team

God Bless You all and thank you for your efforts. It's nice to have a list to refer to especially when so many detractors would try to make "much ado about nothing."

Thank You very much.

Peace be you my friends. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Another way of looking at this, rather than thinking "gee, look at all the changes but they're really not so bad after all" might be "why any changes at all? On whose authority do both publishers continue to alter the text?"

The beginning quote from Dr. Sadler in this document of changes states that the Contact Commissioners had limited authority for making changes to spelling, capitalization and punctuation. Twelve years elapsed between the first printing and the second, a period during which the remaining Contact Commissioners and other long-time students of the Papers had the opportunity to study and proofread the book before the next printing and the second printing did contain corrections to mistakes made when first setting the text into type.

Urantia Foundation was the only publisher of the book until the late 1990s -- despite the Declaration of Trust requiring that the text remain inviolate, Urantia Foundation never acknowledged that changes were being made with each printing until students of the book, doing printing by printing comparisons, forced them to. The uncomplicated meaning of "inviolate" is "undisturbed; not infringed" -- every printing since the first has been changed from the previous one; the concept of an inviolate text obviously disappeared after the second printing.

It's no stretch of the imagination to believe that this book will become more and more a part of the spiritual evolution of the peoples of the world and that it will have major import a thousand years from now even as the books of the Bible have influenced the world for 2,000 years and more. The English language will evolve, spellings will change, word usages will change and disappear -- there will be ample opportunity for those who feel so compelled to tinker with the text, to "improve upon it." Will the readers of a thousand years from now have the text we have today, a text which has already gone through hundreds of "improvements", or will it have been improved beyond recognition? When will a benchmark be established saying "this is the inviolate text from which there will be no deviation"?

I believe that the insertion of even a comma imposes the particular perspective of the editor, an editor that I don't want interpreting the meaning of the text for me, especially if the insertion is made without an annotation indicating that it is not part of the original text. For me the first printing is the only existent "inviolate text"; from it suggestions for interpretation may be made by way of annotations but I don't want anyone doing me a favor by "fixing" the text for me just as I'm certain readers of the future will not appreciate such a similar favor.

Larry Watkins

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

That's true Larry which makes this work you've done even more important as a reference tool.

Thank you my brother et al, and may God continue to bless and guide your efforts. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

welcome to the Frick & Frack Urantian Taliban

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Majeston,

You insult all who are concerned with preserving the revelation as presented.

Bill,
Faith son

http://billurantia3.bravehost.com//welc ... ALITY.html

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Larry, what changes, if any, are included in the on-line resource at TruthBook? I still read from my 1st Edition Book.

Thanks, Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Ray,

The HTML version of The Urantia Book at Truthbook was a first attempt at restoring the text to the first printing -- it was done about 10 years ago and I expect that it could be improved by checking it against the list we've just published -- I'll put that on my to-do-list.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Brother Larry 8)

A Big Thank You for ALL your Time in Service & Shareing .

'' The document is the latest - and most comprehensive - listing of all changes made to the text of The Urantia Book ever attempted. This document was created from separate lists complied by Urantia Foundation, Uversa Press, Merritt Horn, JJ John son and David Kantor. Larry Watkins added to, compiled and co-ordinated all of the lists. Mary Jo Garascia edited the final document for Truthbook.com. ''

Kudos to all ! :wink:

Faith son
Coop

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]