Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:44 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest...My name is Michele and I just wanted to drop in and say Hello before I indulged in all the interesting posts I have seen. I have always been an active truth seeker, and on a recent visit to my sister's home back east she hand me the Urantia Book and asked me to have a look at it and tell her what I thought. Well I didn't have much time left on that visit to really draw an opinion. I made a note to look it up on the web when I got back home. I didn't do this right away. I remember one day pondering over my spiritual needs and wants, and the state of affairs of the world at this time. I remember actually saying that I needed, not only this inkling that I get now and then when some small bit of truth comes to me, but something tangible that I could lay my hands on. I just felt that there was no way that a loving God would just leave us out here hanging and "wondering and waiting" since the life and times of Jesus. I belong to no organized religion but have read much and had faith and a belief in God as my Father, but I just knew there had to be more. Then I remembered the book my sister had shown me and I began to read it online and then had to go buy a copy for myself. I didn't get far into it and I KNEW that what I had in my hands was it! I was, am and will forever be amazed and awed at this revelation. It has revealed so much that I knew in my heart was true, it validated many things that I intuitively knew and taught me SOOOO much more! I just finished the book, I was so ravenous for truth that it took me a month to read. I was a sponge. Now I have started it again, this time around to take my time, and study a bit. My spirit and heart have been hydrated and expanded again, I feel like I am not withering on the vine. I feel a peace I have longed to feel my whole life. Needless to say I got in touch with my sister and told her that it would without a doubt answer all her questions about how, when, why, where, what and who :smile: Now she is also a reader/believer. Life is good today.
I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully get a few questions answered along the way. Thanks for having me on board!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Aw thats so sweet that you guy's both are just starting out on this book together. I hope you share your thought's and feeling's :).

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Welcome Michele --

A month! That could be an all-time record. I thought I was fast and it took me 9 months. I think you'll be delighted every time you begin anew -- somehow new stuff gets put in there between one reading and the next.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

Aloha and welcome Michele...loved hearing your experience and joy in finding our beloved book and how it is bringing you peace in your life...and to share that with your sister is fantastic...one month huh? wow...you were hungry :wink: glad you found us and look forward to your posts...

God bless...I love the Pacific Northwest...I lived in a log cabin in the woods in Oregon, west out of Salem...that is where I first started reading the Urantia Book...in the silence with only the wind whistling through the Douglas Fir trees...

PostPosted:  

Michele,

Welcome to this forum. It's always a good feeling to hear someone had this ever familiar "EUREKA!" moment and the feeling of peace that comes afterwards upon reading the UB. Looking forward to hear more of your thoughts and insights.

PostPosted:  

Thanks for Joining us, Michele. Your enthusiasm is infectious...it's time I went back to the beginning of the UB once again. Larry's correct...more stuff seems to get added and need to check it out :wink:

Peace
Jo

No longer can man presume to monopolize the ministry of religious service. ...among the followers of Jesus woman has been forever set free from all religious discriminations based on gender. TUB pg 2065 (194:3.14)

PostPosted:  

I thank you all for the warm welcome! I am so thrilled, I mean really! When I started reading the first time through, my husband questioned me as to what I was reading so voraciously, and I told him the name and said that it was a book about everything. He is in his in the infancy of his conscious spiritual walk, so I figured it was best to allow him the time and space to find things on his own and live by example rather than push it on him. I catch him listening in on my conversations with my best friend who is now reading it and my sister over the phone. Already he is learning about forgiveness, both for himself and an estranged sister who he has harbored much anger and resentment toward for quite some time. This book is truly infectious in spite of the fact I vowed to quietly "go about my father's work".

PostPosted:  

Hi Michele, I'm John from Vegas. I had a similar experience 30 years ago when I first encountered the Ubook. What was your truth moment? Mine was when I read the meaning of the death on the cross in the Jesus papers. I always felt there had to be a more reasonable interpretation. The question I had going in was "Is God sane?". It was nice to find out that the phylosophy actually reasons.
Please feel free to share your thoughts, I'm new to the site and have been starved for intellegent discourse living here.
John from Vegas.

PostPosted:  

That a good one...the book is about everything :smile: so true...

PostPosted:  

Hi John P
You had asked me
Quote:
What was your truth moment?
That is hard to say actually, because before I began to read in earnest I had skipped about and picked out a few topics of interest...I had been ever perplexed at the whole creation vs evolution debate. So that was the bait. Then I had always been perplexed by the Biblical version of the Adam and Eve story, that just never made any sense what-so-ever to me, so after reading that the hook was set. Then I began to read from the very beginning and it all felt so correct. By the time I read the story of Andon and Fonta I already knew beyond any doubt that what I was reading was indeed a revelation (still not sure why, but that story actually brought me to tears). The Jesus Papers are amazing, it made so much sense and made me so grateful that I live in this time and did not have to solely rely upon the limited, and more often than not, confusing ancient texts. I just knew that even though I still must take much on faith, at least now I know where and how to place it, and in what.
And Tootsie, isn't it so true about it being a book about everything, I couldn't even begin to articulate a concise answer other than that LOL.