Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:12 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I was wondering who are the narrators of the audio versions of the Urantia Book papers
here on Truthbook? I heard in the recordings credit is given to the Urantia Foundation.
But couldn't find any credits. Was just mildly curious. I know there are least 3 and maybe
more narrators.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Russ --

Here's a reply from Stephen Zendt....

Good morning!
The recording work was done at BRILLIANCE CORPORATION in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Spring 1994.
Except for myself, the voices are professional recording artists in their "books-on-tape" library of novels and other works.
Of course, now the Brilliance folks are on disc, etc. But in 1994, when we did the digital-tape version, the MP3 format was unavailable.
There were ten folks who worked in the recording studio. Six men and four women, as near as I can remember. There were support staff, too.
We were informed that the recording was to be anonymous, without attribution even to Brilliance Corp.
The recording project came via Mo Siegel, who got acquainted with Mike Snodgrass, a UB student, who owned Brilliance Corp, at that time.
Mike offered to record the UB with a 33% discount to Urantia Foundation. Brilliance was a prolific book recording company, and state-of-the-art.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Normally we successfully recorded at least one paper each day of the work-week. If things went well, we could often do two.
I arrived on assignment, in the dead of deep winter in early February, and went home in late May just as the full Spring thaw had come in.
I did a larger portion of recording Papers than the others because one of the men had to drop out in mid-project, and there were scheduling problems with the others.
Urantia Foundation made it clear that I was to handle quality control. No errors of pronunciation or text were to be permitted.
I think we achieved about 98% accuracy. Word phonetics were provided by an expert, and the UF office insisted on using its pronunciation guide, as well.
Each part of the Book had a director. That person sat in the control booth with me. Each of us had the UB text in front of us, and we stayed glued to the page while the recording was being made. The technicians were expert at stopping the recording tape and going back over an error.
When I was recording, the director was usually accompanied by one of the other voice artists. We took the time necessary to assure that it was intelligible, accurate, and word-perfect.

Stephen Z.

PostPosted:  

Hi Larry --

lwatkins wrote:
Hi Russ --
Here's a reply from Stephen Zendt....

Wow, glad I asked. That is some excellent history and background on the recordings!

Thanks a lot. :D

PostPosted:  

They did a BRILLIANT job. Really a fine presentation, every single Paper. Thank you! to Mo and Stephen and all involved.