Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:56 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Beloved All !

I find most members have registered in the TB site without giving their real profile details. Most of the members have also preferred to use some kind of pseudonyms instead of their real or first names. I feel this a bit unsuitable for a site sush as this.

I would like to know the views of others and the TB admn team on this and if feasible a positive change.

Love.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Thank you for your note Rajan. It's an internet thing to hide behind anonymity that has carried over to the members of discussion boards, this one included. In discussions such as we have here it's easier to let your social inhibitions slide if you can believe it's really not you doing the writing but rather some more-judgmental or all-knowing alter ego; that's partly the reason we have administrators here... to keep things civil and to stick with the purposes of the board. But I agree, I think we'd relate better with one another if we interacted as our real selves. Our policy though is to let people register however they prefer.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The ability to hide behind anonymity is indeed a big and common reason many people do this. Another big reason is self-protection. It can be very dangerous to give out your personal information over the Internet. This is true not only for things such as identity theft, but imagine that someone you have a heated argument with online has your name and the city where you live. It becomes very easy then to obtain an address. People of less than stable temperament could use this information in less than savory ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I couldn't change my username, but I proudly put my real name in the signature, in support of your idea.

After all, I am proud to be a member of the forum here and am proud to say who I am.

Today is a whole new day

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

HERE HERE brother Jim!

I think one of my biggest assets is that I pour out my problems, feelings, shortcomings, faults, troubles, and I also wear my heart on my sleeve. Anyone who knows me knows I am a passionate person who is never afraid to ask for help.

One of my favorite lessons learned from our master is to NEVER hesitate to admit failure it's only through recognition and admittance of failure that we can truly learn the valuable lessons that life has to give us. It's a gift for me to love to tell my trouble to others and also learn the trouble of other people at the same time.

Sister Iris told me that she was amazed at how I just have no fear of telling my story or airing out my laundry and when she said that I really understood at that point how hard it can be for some people to do the same.

My name is David Joseph Tucker I am 29 years old and I will always be real on here and everywhere else that I go because how else will god know it's me who is asking for the help :wink: :wink: :wink:

God speaks to me all the time through everyone here and so many other places in my life and I love telling everyone that I meet to please not hold anything from me... If you see something in me that you believe can be improved and god gives you a thought about it I WANT TO HEAR IT...

Like the poem that Mother Teresa wrote I can paraphrase it by saying that all interaction with anyone or anything really truly isnt with me and that circumstance it's between me and god.

Great effen topic! sorry for the potty mouth but I dig it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

love

your brother dave

PostPosted:  

I am tolerant of people who choose pseudonym in this forum. I respect that many people wish to withhold their identity on the internet for whatever personal reasons they may have.

This is a quaint forum, but it is part of a web, and any information shared here is shared publickly. Although we may all exercise tolerance and respect here, we do not understand how the information we share is used by others, how it influences personal philosophy, judgment, and choice.

Although I personally have no qualms showing by routine, the badge of physical identity, it is not the way I identify myself personally. And I am mournful that the Anonymity (if ever there were anonymity) on the internet will be lost entirely in the years to come.

PostPosted:  

deleted

Last edited by As-Above-So-Below on Fri May 10, 2013 4:05 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

There are some crazy people on the internets. I don't mind sharing my name on this forum but other forums not a chance would I.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

The UB teaches us to be fearless.

It also teaches us about personality, identity and the like.

So are we all going to put on our masks just because there are some crazy fellows roaming out here and there ?

After all what are those things that are to be feared about in a forum like this ?

Just I am curious to know.

PostPosted:  

This forum is fine I offer my facebook friendship to everyone here. Other forums not a chance. lol

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Rajan,
I am new to this forum and The Urantia Book. Unlike you, I have not yet learned these precious gems that you are talking about. I just received my copy today. As I am fearless, I am not stupid either. I have a family to protect and these names are called "Monikers". I have been burned by the web too many times to make the same mistake twice. By the way, what does DB stand for? Since the forum is titled " Urantia Book Forum"? I really think that your question is a good one as it elicits all kinds of responses.

Blessings to All!
My name is Shane

PostPosted:  

Hey Everybody,
Since thinking about Rajan's question, I have thought long and hard about why not use my real name. It is not like I am posting all of my info for the world to abuse. So, Greetings to the UB Community my name is Shane.

Blessings to all,
Shane

PostPosted:  

Hi Shane...you asked:

Quote:
By the way, what does DB stand for?

I am guessing it stands for data base.

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Oh ok MaryJo. That makes sense now. I was just curious. :D