Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:50 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: I'm new here
PostPosted:  

I've been glancing over the Urantia Papers and I find it all very intriguing and fascinating. I am on a spiritual journey, as all of you are, and it's a gradual thing. I believe that saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." Well, I've been learning a lot lately about many things, including aliens and UFOs.....and spirituality......and how it all fits together.

I haven't read the entire Urantia papers, but I will be reading some each day. I am a Roman Catholic and I really don't want to give up my faith to embrace another belief system. What I want to do is grow in spirituality in my own faith, and I feel that the Urantia Papers can help me get all the details of what happened all along the way. Of course, I have no way of knowing if these messages are a hoax or not.....but they are intriguing.

Do you find that you need to give up the faith you had in a specific religion in order to embrace the Urantia Papers? Or do you just add to your own faith by reading them?

I haven't read everything here in the topics either, but I will be checking everything out as each day goes by.

Someone once told me that whatever I read, if it strikes a chord within me, then it's true. So I am counting on that as I develop my spirituality.

I'm glad to be here, friends. :smile:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Howdy, Gerry.

Welcome! Glad you found us, and glad you're here.

The Urantia Book is not a religion, it is a revelation. It does not ask that you give up anything except your fears. The book, while brimming with good news and fascinating facts and inspirational stories, cannot replace the fellowship you have with your Catholic brothers and sisters. By all means, stay with your church, and add these newfound insights to your faith.

Hope to hear more from you.

Peace,
Arc

Post subject: Thanks.
PostPosted:  

Thank you, arcfixer.....I am happy you said that. I think these revelations can help me and everyone understand their own faith in a more meaningful way.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Gerry, Welcome (Brother.) Whoops! :shock: I mean Welcome Sister! :smile:

Arc put it beautifully. And it's because of people here like Arc with a beautiful spiritual attitude that makes this site feel like a good place to be. I'm a Roman Catholic too. But when I started here just like you, no care what my faith or religion was they were just interested and excited about the teachings put forth in the Urantia book that seem to be so spiritually uplifting. Over time from casual comments in posts I discovered there were many Catholics here. I was pleasantly surprised because of so many Catholics I tried to share Urantia Book with were not interested.

The beautiful thing here Gerry is you're just a child of God. You are connected to everyone here by your LOVE and your desire to grow spiritually, your religious preference is your own choice.

Quote:
Someone once told me that whatever I read, if it strikes a chord within me, then it's true.

The joy you get when you read TUB (The Urantia Book) The spiritual aliveness that enters into your life. That's a gift to you from God.

My Catholic and other friends in spiritual growth won't read TUB. But they do enjoy seeing how I've changed spiritually. They figure it's God working on me. They are right! What they don't know is it's God working on me through the spiritual lessons presented in a new and inspiring way in TUB.

Last edited by Joer on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:42 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gerry,

Welcome brother! You have come accross the right information and you have found a good place to fellowship. I don't have long to type this morning before work but I have 2 quick comments.

When you speak of desiring to retain your Catholic "faith", it seems that the word that really describes your thought is theology. But this is a misadaptation of terminology that is made by lots of folks.

Also to say, that the things of "faith in God" casts a wide net and can apply to most everyone in most every religion.

Lastly before I must go for the day, The Urantia Book doesn't represent a religion at all. But it does teach of "true religion" and a fresh theology of the restated teachings of Jesus is present. This would be called Jesusonianism, described as the adoption of Jesus' teachings and using them only.

Hang around new friend, we will all chat and share more!
In peace and love,
Woody

Last edited by Woody on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:33 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Just to clarify..
PostPosted:  

Just want to clarify my gender..........I am a female, 70 years of age. :D My real name is Geraldine, but everyone calls me Gerry.

If everyone here is as nice as arcfixer, Joer, and Woody, I know I'll be happy here.

I would never give up my Catholic faith, but I think the Urantia Papers can fill in all the details of my faith and more or less renew my faith.

I have to admit that I am a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of the overall Universe, hierarchy, etc. I think I'm going to need a glossary of all the terms I am not familiar with. Is there such a list?

Thanks for welcoming me so wholeheartedly. I will rely on you for any questions I may have along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Gerry. Welcome.

I see the Jesusonian Teachings in the Urantia Book in this way. Jesus taught at a certain level for the understanding capacity of his listeners. Though He taught in simple terms, only a few were ready to reach out, and accept.

Today (1930's forward) we humans can understand at a higher level. Now we can ready to embrace concepts such as world government, gender equality, abolition of slavery, etc.

We are ready to accept the great value of science. Science runs along side of spiritual teachings. Science is not inherently opposed to faith or religion.

The UB has profoundly enhanced my understanding of God, Jesus,
and mankind.
The Best to you

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Gerry. Welcome. I don't think there is an organizational chart of universe hierarchy, although I would find that a fascinating study.

Our common idea of hierarchy is generally based on our mortal politics and policies. The values conveyed in the Urantia Papers' portrayal of universe hierarchy presents to me a picture of the many and varied degrees of divine love and ministry, not judgment. And this has helped a great deal in my opening up to the love of God and allowing Him to be a personal religious experience, instead of merely a figurehead of divinity.
Quote:
The highest religious experience is not dependent on prior acts of belief, tradition, and authority; neither is religion the offspring of sublime feelings and purely mystical emotions. It is, rather, a profoundly deep and actual experience of spiritual communion with the spirit influences resident within the human mind,... (P.1105 - §1)

Meanwhile, our consciousness, over time, does expand to include other dimensions, other interpretations of other universe citizens and the role they play in our edification and enlightenment, if any. For example, the Ancients of Days, who are very high up on the scale.

When I first heard of Judgment Day, for example I saw God as a guy with the long beard, holding a list of all the sins I had committed, determining whether I would live or die, and would I go to heaven or hell. This mental image interfered with my love for him, for how can you love what you fear? But when I learned about the Ancients of Days, my anxieties were greatly assuaged, especially as to the Father/child relationship.
Quote:
Mandates of judgment originate in the local universes, but sentences involving the extinction of will creatures are always formulated on, and executed from, the headquarters of the superuniverse. The Sons of the local universes can decree the survival of mortal man, but only the Ancients of Days may sit in executive judgment on the issues of eternal life and death. (P.180 - §3)

In contrast, I have come to believe that my guardian angel, who is very near me and watches out for me, is from an order of ministering spirits, one of the millions upon millions of seraphim, cherubim, sanobim, seconophim and tertiaphim, that oversee the universe children of our Eternal Parents.
Quote:
In the life of the flesh the intelligence of angels is not directly available to mortal men. They are not overlords or directors; they are simply guardians. The seraphim guard you; they do not seek directly to influence you; you must chart your own course, but these angels then act to make the best possible use of the course you have chosen. (P.1246 - §3)

Incidently, as to nomenclature and gender, I have an odd name, and I have noticed a tendency for people to think I am a guy when they first hear from me, but when they learn I am a female, often their tone of voice changes, which is unfortunate and probably totally unconscious but it does lead me to think that men prefer talking to men because they are presumed to be more reasonable, rational and mental, whereas women are presumed to be more intuitive, emotional, and irrelevant.

As for me, these days I am far more concerned about the hierarchy of humans (especially gender equality) than I am about the cosmic scheme of things, because as women attain to their rightful dignity status, our world will become less barbaric and I am sick of war.
Quote:
The apostles were at first shocked by, but early became accustomed to, Jesus' treatment of women; he made it very clear to them that women were to be accorded equal rights with men in the kingdom. (P.1546 - §2)

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, to make your acquaintance, and to extend my hope that your time with truthbook be satisfying and fruitful.

Post subject: Thanks.
PostPosted:  

fatboy: We are ready to accept the great value of science. Science runs along side of spiritual teachings. Science is not inherently opposed to faith or religion.

I totallyagree with that and have for a very long time.

Gerdean, I have no qualms about anything you've said in your reply. I think we are going to get along just fine together.

Now I have to decide whether to actually buy the book or to print it off the internet. I think I better buy the book. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Alrighty Gerry,

Fine business. Well you're at the right place here and we'll all help! If you decide to get a copy, good used ones are available weekly on Ebay for under $15.00
TNX & Welcome again !!
Woody

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yeah, and I could probably get a deal at Amazon, too, for a used book.

I have a question.....an important one. How do you know that the messages in this book are "real" and not made up by somebody who wants to make money?

This is always my question when I find something that rings bells with me. I think our ears can be "tickled" by words we want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's true.

This world is filled with lies and deceit.......and I don't want to be gullible on my spiritual journey. You understand what I am saying, friends. There's too much "crap" out there....lots of people channeling messages. Can ALL of them be the truth?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

You are right to pause and question, Gerry. The world is made up of people who watch to see you coming so they can milk you for every dime you ever made. There are charlatains who want to sell you spiritual security. It is not unwise to recognize that this kind of behavior exists on this world, but it is also true that there are altruists whose values are not based on profit but on a desire to be of service. Not that people who have religious zeal always know what they are talking about, either, but you can weigh and sort according to standards ... you just need to decide whose standards matter. Yours or other peoples. And within that realm, you decide.

I paid $15.95 for my first edition in 1968. A paper back edition I bought a few years back was $19.95, but there are several sites that have new books, even hard cover, available for less than $20.00. Don't get me wrong; there was a time when the cost of a book was up to over $60, but measures were implemented that brought the price back down to where people can afford it. There is no reason for this magnificent tome to be available only to the wealthy or to academia, for "the common man heard him gladly."

It is not a scam. You will be able to enjoy this work for the rest of your life, and beyond. Even if after you finished reading it you don't like it you will have gotten your money's worth, your intelligence will not be insulted, your spirit will be stimulated, you will not be led astray, and you can sell it back to a used bookstore for nearly what you paid for it. Fear not.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Gerdean, thanks for your reply........I will buy the book, digest it, and see what happens. It can't hurt me anyway. If it enhances my spirituality, I'm all for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey again Gerry,

I'll add a few more cents worth.

The book is simply too brilliant and the information too excellent. I have considered that I don't think a team of the world's most brilliant writers could have sat around and made this book up if they tried. It's that.....good.

I can figure only 2 reasons for it being false......and it is either exactly what it says it is in its entirety or it is wholly false. I don't see how there could be any in-betweens with a work of this type.

One, it is a hoax. So what is the purpose of the hoax? The entire message is one of truth, beauty and goodness as far as ideals are concerned. So that doesn't sound like much of a ferocious abomination to me. Hoaxes always have nefarious and destructive intentions. This information is all love and goodness of God, life and the universe. The book is utterly void of any maliciousness.

Second would be to make money selling books like you said. Well for being a team of the world's most brilliant writers they would be likewise the world's most stupid business people. Even today, the fact that the book even exists is still not advertised or publicized. And like Gerdean was alluding to, for the first 30 years of publication and copywrite protection, the sole publisher was The Urantia Foundation and the book, although necessarily kind of pricey, was still subsidized. The book sold for a price that was less than what it cost to print it. So no money was ever made......it required donations to distribute it at the price it was sold at. So clearly no one was ever making any money from sales.

Hope this helps O:)

Thanks again,

Woody

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yes, that did indeed help me, Woody. Thank you for taking the time to reply in the great way that you did.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next