Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The Urantia Book presents us with a challenge, actually, with an Epochal challenge. Think for a moment, if you will, what might be discovered from truly conquering an Epochal challenge. I submit that what is contained within this book has been designed by celestial persons to enable us to discover infinite and eternal reality in our very own personal experience, a discovery which is quite beyond human imagination.

I believe we are not yet focusing on the most valuable practice we are blessed to be created with. Experience, spiritual experience is an under-understood concept here. Of course, we each have our own version of what we think it means but in all honesty its value seems to elude us. Our human minds are not capable of spiritual experience in the manner and depth explained in this book. This is because spiritual experience is not of our minds. Even the most thorough and scholarly treatise on spiritual experience will fall woefully short of revealing the value enjoyed and expressed by the true faith stretch of a simple minded but sincere believer. Bluntly then, personal spiritual experience cannot be learned, so we must quit trying to explain it as if we can! Since our Thought Adjusters are attached to our minds, we describe our experience via the mind but that is where it ends, with a description. All that does is make us a witness. However, we are to be more than witnesses. We are intended to be participants. Our will is the instrument within our beings which facilitates personal spiritual experience. Our minds are observers not facilitators. Learning to enable this willful facilitation must be our great focus. Studying the written revelation tends to volumetrically fill in thought concepts, but personal spiritual experience does not result from knowledge, it results from faith. Faith is the act of will to realize God. When we act on willpower alone, we step beyond our knowledge into our most vulnerable and sincere area of self. It is at this point we get to decide, my will or God's will. That decision, each time we allow ourselves to make it, drives us forward as participants in the kingdom or as participants in self-designed outcomes. The act is ours, the consequences, God's. This is true because each decision that drives us forward toward God provides the only proof there is. This proof is called personal spiritual experience. Even choosing self-designed outcomes ultimately proves God but doesn’t guarantee our participation. Every way we go proves God but every way we go doesn't make us real in his eyes.

Ladies and gentlemen, brothers and sisters, our celestial brothers did not go to all the trouble of translating spiritual truth into English concepts simply so we could understand it. We must wake up!  This book can fill our heads with new and wonderful ideas and with mysterious deeply probing concepts to assimilate into our understanding. As I have said in the past, this is a book intended to reveal God to us from various celestial viewpoints. It can reveal God from a number of celestial individuals who each have their own perspectives of all this. It is also a revelation to us of how the authors see and oversee mankind, also from separate and individual viewpoints. What makes understanding this book an Epochal challenge is that according to them, they use many of our own human thoughts phrased in an English language format in presenting their celestial concepts. By this method they say they hope to draw near enough to our own way of thinking that we will comprehend their meanings. Consequently, as we personalize the Urantia teachings we discover not merely our human-ness, we may actually discover our Urantia-ness, our Jesus-ness.

The process of turning our lives over to the Divine Spirit within, as the God/Man who made Urantia did, is astonishing. I believe the ultimate authority of our Revelation, the one who authorized the Orvonton Corps of Truth Revealers and Gabriel to assemble a team of authors from all over the Universe of Universes intended for us to discover ourselves in ourselves, to do so in ways only divine celestial beings and our inner God fragment could predict. Read again the following from the Forward, “In the minds of the mortals of Urantia — that being the name of your world — there exists great confusion respecting the meaning of such terms as God, divinity, and deity. Human beings are still more confused and uncertain about the relationships of the divine personalities designated by these numerous appellations. Because of this conceptual poverty associated with so much ideational confusion, I have been directed to formulate this introductory statement in explanation of the meanings which should be attached to certain word symbols as they may be hereinafter used in those papers which the Orvonton corps of truth revealers have been authorized to translate into the English language of Urantia.”

Aside from the phrases, “great confusion”, “more confused and uncertain”, “conceptual poverty” and “ideational confusion” there are these; “word symbols” and “translate”. To prevent confusion, they use word symbols. These papers were written by celestial intellects and in celestial thought patterns before they were translated into English word symbols. We all know that one of the great problems of literature is the accuracy of translations from one earthly language to another. How much more difficult would it be to translate from one species of being to another, especially if one is a celestial species and the other one is not and has no real idea that the celestial species even exists? And remember, only the Mighty Messengers, Those High in Authority, and Those Without Name and Number, were ever human beings and none of them were from this planet. Sometimes I wonder if their task isn’t more akin to me trying to talk to my dog. Now don’t take too much offense at that statement, I am only trying to clarify the vast gap in comprehension, as well as our total inability to accurately reference the reality of this gap which exists between celestial intellectual processing and human thought.

This is why we must properly address this issue so we may apply ourselves to the task as they instruct. Comprehending these papers is our first celestial task in a long and hopefully never-ending succession of celestial tasks. If, in fact, we are Urantians, then we are obligated to this task, we are enlistees of the living path and we must keep moving. So, what is this task, this task of Epochal proportions? Is it to know what the Urantia Book says, as is the apparent theme of this “study group” and many others, to be able to answer sincere personal questions by simply posting quotations as references? Or is it something deeper, something much, much deeper?

By enlisting in this journey of the living path, we accept the responsibility to allow the intent of the authors to direct our endeavors. Because the book is so intellectually challenging, we must apply the highest and finest human scholarship to its study, right? Well it is not as if proper "scholarship" will enable us to experience the reality of God, is it? Jesus taught no such gospel. I do not demean proper scholarship here, but we must not allow it to supersede the true method of the discovery of God. We must not ignore a most basic tenant of reality as taught in the book. The supreme authority of what is real and unreal isn't intellectual understanding, its personal spiritual experience. Personal spiritual experience is not the privilege of the intellect. Getting it right, properly understanding the text, is of little value if we aren’t getting it real in ourselves. We will never understand this book correctly until we become experientially real in ourselves. As the book says, we don't know the difference between that which has value and that which is value. The book has value; our growing soul is value. Only personal spiritual experience can reveal the spiritual reality of that to us.

I believe this difference in method is the source of the confusion and seeming animosity so prevalent here on the forum. As I have attempted to make clear, God has shown me his celestial kingdom as personal experience. We are taught by our celestial presenters that we each can realize our own version of spiritual experience, if we will allow it. Further, we must learn to rely on this spiritual experience as both the source of our sense of value and the basis of the authority we embrace relative to the book. This spiritual experience is our religion. The Melchizedek author of Paper 101 states in Section1.4, “It [religion] is, rather, a profoundly deep and actual experience of spiritual communion with the spirit influences resident within the human mind, and as far as such an experience is definable in terms of psychology, it is simply the experience of experiencing the reality of believing in God as the reality of such a purely personal experience.” This positon of will and mind is the source from which we reconnoiter our eternal life path. This is what we call religion. It is the path we choose to follow as our own best conceptualization of our realization of true value.

Because of this, the idea that we can understand the Urantia Book’s value from an intellectual perspective doesn’t work. Neither can we make the sense intended by the revelators when they describe Urantian physics. We must use our Urantian sense of reality to discover the religious foundation of it personally. The same is true for astronomy, math, the social sciences, psychology philosophy, and so forth. As Jesus has repeatedly said, first God then all the rest. Even the discovery of the world of the non-breathers planet which is apparently in “close proximity” or any other physical proof of the veracity of the text will do nothing but confuse our planet unless we discover God in ourselves first. And I am not talking about a belief in God, but the real interactive God Jesus tried to enable us to realize; “the profoundly deep and actual experience of spiritual communion with the spirit influences resident within the human mind.”

Jim

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

On March 1, Jim proclaimed:

"This is my new way of appreciating the truth of the revelation; appreciating it through personal interaction with others.

So, no more “here is what you need to do” essays. I will keep you abreast of my progress."

8) :wink: :D :-s

PostPosted:  

Thank you Jim George as always, for helping me to keep my focus on what the main thing is, instead of what it is not.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
This is why we must properly address this issue so we may apply ourselves to the task as they instruct. Comprehending these papers is our first celestial task in a long and hopefully never-ending succession of celestial tasks. If, in fact, we are Urantians, then we are obligated to this task, we are enlistees of the living path and we must keep moving. So, what is this task, this task of Epochal proportions? Is it to know what the Urantia Book says, as is the apparent theme of this “study group” and many others, to be able to answer sincere personal questions by simply posting quotations as references? Or is it something deeper, something much, much deeper?

Thanks, Jim, for your essay. I always enjoy reading your thoughts.

Sometimes it seems that being able to simply cite passages and be factually correct about that part of the UB is the prime importance to some here. But being able to digest and translate what we read in the intellect into our own personal spiritual experience is every bit as important. And then being able to share that experience with others is the next logical step.

Our personal experience is as different and as varied as each of us is, individually. In the end, God-consciousness is what I see as the goal - at least it is MY goal. But how we get there along the way may be different...how we perceive what we read may be different. How we process what we read may be different. But I agree that "the idea that we can understand the Urantia Book’s value from an intellectual perspective doesn’t work." At least it doesn't always work if we really want to actualize what we are reading into our personal spiritual experience.

This is a "much deeper" purpose of study groups. And not always easily achieved in an anonymous forum such as this one, where we lack personal contact, non-verbal clues, and where we sometimes lack trust with each other, due simply to unfamiliarity with another's true personality. Sticking with the safety of "chapter and verse" can sometimes seem the best way to go. But this is why the essay can be of real value.

Thanks again for yours.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, Jim, for your essay. I always enjoy reading your thoughts.

Sometimes it seems that being able to simply cite passages and be factually correct about that part of the UB is the prime importance to some here. But being able to digest and translate what we read in the intellect into our own personal spiritual experience is every bit as important. And then being able to share that experience with others is the next logical step.

Our personal experience is as different and as varied as each of us is, individually. In the end, God-consciousness is what I see as the goal - at least it is MY goal. But how we get there along the way may be different...how we perceive what we read may be different. How we process what we read may be different. But I agree that "the idea that we can understand the Urantia Book’s value from an intellectual perspective doesn’t work." At least it doesn't always work if we really want to actualize what we are reading into our personal spiritual experience.

This is a "much deeper" purpose of study groups. And not always easily achieved in an anonymous forum such as this one, where we lack personal contact, non-verbal clues, and where we sometimes lack trust with each other, due simply to unfamiliarity with another's true personality. Sticking with the safety of "chapter and verse" can sometimes seem the best way to go. But this is why the essay can be of real value.

Thanks again for yours.

An interesting perspective by both you and Jim. I wonder though. Do people read the UB merely to collect and memorize facts? Isn't every student of the Papers seeking understanding and meaning and perspective and context about the reality-perspective presented by the authors?

Who might approach this book, of all books, without hoping for and seeking for knowledge with meaning and truth with value? Aren't truth seekers at TruthBook seeking truth? I think they are indeed. I find the posts here to demonstrate and validate that very thing.

The UB clearly teaches that meaning is discovered in knowledge and that value derives therefrom and thereby. So no one is getting to value before or without meaning....according to the text anyway.

I agree that every person's religious experience is personal and unique and so is everyone's method of study. "How" to study the Revelation cannot be dictated by any one student to any other student...let alone ALL other students. There are as many ways to study and appreciate and find meaning and value from the Revelation as there are students reading the book.

This concept and belief that any of us have the right and should be encouraged to tell others what to do and what not to do and what's important and not important seems to me to directly contradict the Revelation....not support any part of it. Who is not having religious experience?

Jim says: "Our human minds are not capable of spiritual experience in the manner and depth explained in this book. This is because spiritual experience is not of our minds."

Spiritual experience comes to all levels of mortal mind. The UB describes the faith and assurance experience of children...whose minds are quite capable of spiritual experience as connected to the Adjutants and Holy Spirit...which gives birth to soul...and then the faith experience (spiritual connection to Deity ministry) is expanded to include personal revelation and the TA's small still voice (spiritual experience). And, according to the UB at least, our spiritual experience is indeed in our mind(s)....our unconscious and our conscious and our superconscious levels of mind...and in our morontia mind (soul).

1. The Mind Arena of Choice
111:1.1 (1216.2) Though the work of Adjusters is spiritual in nature, they must, perforce, do all their work upon an intellectual foundation. Mind is the human soil from which the spirit Monitor must evolve the morontia soul with the co-operation of the indwelt personality.

111:1.2 (1216.3) There is a cosmic unity in the several mind levels of the universe of universes. Intellectual selves have their origin in the cosmic mind much as nebulae take origin in the cosmic energies of universe space. On the human (hence personal) level of intellectual selves the potential of spirit evolution becomes dominant, with the assent of the mortal mind, because of the spiritual endowments of the human personality together with the creative presence of an entity-point of absolute value in such human selves. But such a spirit dominance of the material mind is conditioned upon two experiences: This mind must have evolved up through the ministry of the seven adjutant mind-spirits, and the material (personal) self must choose to co-operate with the indwelling Adjuster in creating and fostering the morontia self, the evolutionary and potentially immortal soul.

111:1.3 (1216.4) Material mind is the arena in which human personalities live, are self-conscious, make decisions, choose God or forsake him, eternalize or destroy themselves.

111:1.4 (1216.5) Material evolution has provided you a life machine, your body; the Father himself has endowed you with the purest spirit reality known in the universe, your Thought Adjuster. But into your hands, subject to your own decisions, has been given mind, and it is by mind that you live or die. It is within this mind and with this mind that you make those moral decisions which enable you to achieve Adjusterlikeness, and that is Godlikeness.

My belief is that too many people here post opinions and beliefs which defy and contradict the contents of the UB in ways which they claim represent the UB...but they do not post text to validate those claims. The posting of text to support a claim or belief or understanding is simply referencing the very material we are supposedly here to study together.

I don't know what is meant by the "safety" of chapter and verse...puzzling. Is this a UB study group or an opinion study group where the text is so unwelcome and opinions which contradict the text are more welcome instead??

The presumption here that anybody else (or is it everybody else?) only intellectualizes the text and does not know how to study the text or to find meaning and value in personal religious experience, is simply an uninformed and subjective opinion...it is not a fact. I don't know anyone at all in 50 years of study that stays in the text for any length of time and merely intellectualizes and memorizes the text. Who does that??

What an odd claim and generalization to make...and false...and unknowable by anybody...anybody at all!! This habit of speaking for others and judging the religious experience of others seems like strange behaviors to welcome and compliment here. Oh well.

Seekers of truth seek truth. Seekers of knowledge seek knowledge. Knowledge and truth are closely aligned and allied in the pursuit of experiential wisdom. Again...according to the UB. I think meaning and truth are the result of personal religious experience and are important to everyone. I don't think the meaning and truth found in the UB are required for spiritual growth and connection to the Spirit within or religious experience. But the UB clearly says our reality perspective IS functionally important and that Epochal Revelation is critical to all religionists to reduce confusion and eliminate errors that are obstacles to perspective and philosophy...which tie together the material and spirit realities.

I certainly agree there's some serious misconceptions around here about the nature of religious experience. We are designed and born to seek experiential wisdom in time. This simply cannot be done without mind and knowledge and meaning and the discernment of truth by mind and transfer of the seat of identity... again, by mind.

Any claim that Circle Progress or spiritization or experiential wisdom can occur without mind is a contradiction of the UB.

The contents of this Epochal Revelation deserve study and appreciation and application in our daily living. Posting that text and discussing that text and comparing beliefs and opinions to that text is, as I recall, the very purpose of TruthBook! A noble purpose indeed.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:53 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

Jesus said "He who has seen me has seen the Father".

I often wonder how many of those who've just discovered the Urantia Book, come here, see something other than Jesus, and then move on.

"I pray that you may discern the meaning of my teaching with the eyes of the spirit."

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
Jesus said "He who has seen me has seen the Father".

I often wonder how many of those who've just discovered the Urantia Book, come here, see something other than Jesus, and then move on.

"I pray that you may discern the meaning of my teaching with the eyes of the spirit."

Yes...discern the meaning...with and by mind. To understand.

Exactly!

1:3.3 (25.3) The Universal Father is not invisible because he is hiding himself away from the lowly creatures of materialistic handicaps and limited spiritual endowments. The situation rather is: “You cannot see my face, for no mortal can see me and live.” No material man could behold the spirit God and preserve his mortal existence. The glory and the spiritual brilliance of the divine personality presence is impossible of approach by the lower groups of spirit beings or by any order of material personalities. The spiritual luminosity of the Father’s personal presence is a “light which no mortal man can approach; which no material creature has seen or can see.” But it is not necessary to see God with the eyes of the flesh in order to discern him by the faith-vision of the spiritualized mind.

16:9.1 (195.7) The cosmic-mind-endowed, Adjuster-indwelt, personal creature possesses innate recognition-realization of energy reality, mind reality, and spirit reality. The will creature is thus equipped to discern the fact, the law, and the love of God. Aside from these three inalienables of human consciousness, all human experience is really subjective except that intuitive realization of validity attaches to the unification of these three universe reality responses of cosmic recognition.

2. Spiritual Growth

100:2.1 (1095.5) Spiritual development depends, first, on the maintenance of a living spiritual connection with true spiritual forces and, second, on the continuous bearing of spiritual fruit: yielding the ministry to one’s fellows of that which has been received from one’s spiritual benefactors. Spiritual progress is predicated on intellectual recognition of spiritual poverty coupled with the self-consciousness of perfection-hunger, the desire to know God and be like him, the wholehearted purpose to do the will of the Father in heaven.

100:2.2 (1095.6) Spiritual growth is first an awakening to needs, next a discernment of meanings, and then a discovery of values. The evidence of true spiritual development consists in the exhibition of a human personality motivated by love, activated by unselfish ministry, and dominated by the wholehearted worship of the perfection ideals of divinity. And this entire experience constitutes the reality of religion as contrasted with mere theological beliefs.

100:2.3 (1095.7) Religion can progress to that level of experience whereon it becomes an enlightened and wise technique of spiritual reaction to the universe. Such a glorified religion can function on three levels of human personality: the intellectual, the morontial, and the spiritual; upon the mind, in the evolving soul, and with the indwelling spirit.

:wink:

PostPosted:  

Speaking from our mind’s judicial bench is simply different than speaking from the altar of our heart and soul. These points of view cannot be reconciled except within the individual observer participant. Fact, idea, and relation; thing, meaning, and value; these are why it is critical to explore reality from all three. We can present the book as facts or we can present the revelation as ideas, and each reader, including you and me, must then draw their/our own conclusions as they personalize the truth value they are able to perceive.

Last edited by Jim George on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:38 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

And I might reiterate:

Quote:
this is why the essay can be of real value.

And why there is a rule about refraining from challenging content in "essays and speeches." These are by nature, subjective and interpretive according to the understanding of the author of the essay/speech. One can take what is personally meaningful and leave the rest.

PostPosted:  

Since we're reiterating, I'll reiterate too.

nodAmanaV wrote:
I often wonder how many of those who've just discovered the Urantia Book, come here, see something other than Jesus (in the manner of how some post) and then move on (having decided not to read it).

PostPosted:  

"Essays and Speeches is a forum for those who wish to share their thoughts, feelings, opinions, and experiences regarding the teachings of The Urantia Book in essay form. Oftentimes, these posts involve personal experiences and personal understanding of the meanings and values of the book's teachings to the poster. Response and discussion are welcome; however, unless the post in this category is a blatant rebuttal of the teachings or of the book (in which case, they will be removed), or a clear attack on the book (also grounds for removal), responders are asked to refrain from challenging the posts as to content."

So....I wonder...is this topic about gaining spiritual experience and progress (as an "under-understood" concept)? Or is it the function (and limits) of mind in the gaining of spiritual experiences? Or is it "the true method of the dicovery of God" that is the topic? Or how to "become experientially real"?

All of these topics are certainly subjects presented in the UB and important for our "response and discussion". Personal religious experience and soul growth are obviously the foundational presentation by the authors throughout the Revelation, especially Papers 100-112.

But what of the topic title "How to Study The Revelation"??

Can we study without reading? Learning? Understanding meanings? The mind and intellect?

So...I look forward to further discussion of the many important topics presented so far. But I am curious as to the title topic about how to study...an interesting topic for a UB study group that has been studying the UB here for 20 years and both new and experienced students, each with their own methods of how to study, discern, embrace, experience, and live the teachings about personal religion and spiritual progress.

Jim seems to be saying that one can "study" the Revelation without mind/intellect and find value without the intellect and discovery of meaning? I am sure I misunderstand his meaning. Apologies for my obvious confusion....

Perhaps the actual topic is not how to study the Revelation but how to grow in the Spirit? With or without the teachings? And especially so according to the Papers? How to get beyond knowledge to truth and meaning to value??

Is then the essay's claim that people do not have genuine spiritual progress and experience?

Thank you.

8)

16:6.9 (192.5) These scientific, moral, and spiritual insights, these cosmic responses, are innate in the cosmic mind, which endows all will creatures. The experience of living never fails to develop these three cosmic intuitions; they are constitutive in the self-consciousness of reflective thinking. But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking.

16:6.10 (192.6) In the local universe mind bestowals, these three insights of the cosmic mind constitute the a priori assumptions which make it possible for man to function as a rational and self-conscious personality in the realms of science, philosophy, and religion. Stated otherwise, the recognition of the reality of these three manifestations of the Infinite is by a cosmic technique of self-revelation. Matter-energy is recognized by the mathematical logic of the senses; mind-reason intuitively knows its moral duty; spirit-faith (worship) is the religion of the reality of spiritual experience. These three basic factors in reflective thinking may be unified and co-ordinated in personality development, or they may become disproportionate and virtually unrelated in their respective functions. But when they become unified, they produce a strong character consisting in the correlation of a factual science, a moral philosophy, and a genuine religious experience. And it is these three cosmic intuitions that give objective validity, reality, to man’s experience in and with things, meanings, and values.

16:6.11 (192.7) It is the purpose of education to develop and sharpen these innate endowments of the human mind; of civilization to express them; of life experience to realize them; of religion to ennoble them; and of personality to unify them.

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:

By enlisting in this journey of the living path, we accept the responsibility to allow the intent of the authors to direct our endeavors. Because the book is so intellectually challenging, we must apply the highest and finest human scholarship to its study, right? Well it is not as if proper "scholarship" will enable us to experience the reality of God, is it? Jesus taught no such gospel. I do not demean proper scholarship here, but we must not allow it to supersede the true method of the discovery of God. We must not ignore a most basic tenant of reality as taught in the book. The supreme authority of what is real and unreal isn't intellectual understanding, its personal spiritual experience. Personal spiritual experience is not the privilege of the intellect. Getting it right, properly understanding the text, is of little value if we aren’t getting it real in ourselves. We will never understand this book correctly until we become experientially real in ourselves. As the book says, we don't know the difference between that which has value and that which is value. The book has value; our growing soul is value. Only personal spiritual experience can reveal the spiritual reality of that to us.

I believe this difference in method is the source of the confusion and seeming animosity so prevalent here on the forum. As I have attempted to make clear, God has shown me his celestial kingdom as personal experience. We are taught by our celestial presenters that we each can realize our own version of spiritual experience, if we will allow it. Further, we must learn to rely on this spiritual experience as both the source of our sense of value and the basis of the authority we embrace relative to the book. This spiritual experience is our religion. The Melchizedek author of Paper 101 states in Section1.4, “It [religion] is, rather, a profoundly deep and actual experience of spiritual communion with the spirit influences resident within the human mind, and as far as such an experience is definable in terms of psychology, it is simply the experience of experiencing the reality of believing in God as the reality of such a purely personal experience.” This positon of will and mind is the source from which we reconnoiter our eternal life path. This is what we call religion. It is the path we choose to follow as our own best conceptualization of our realization of true value.

Because of this, the idea that we can understand the Urantia Book’s value from an intellectual perspective doesn’t work. Neither can we make the sense intended by the revelators when they describe Urantian physics. We must use our Urantian sense of reality to discover the religious foundation of it personally. The same is true for astronomy, math, the social sciences, psychology philosophy, and so forth. As Jesus has repeatedly said, first God then all the rest. Even the discovery of the world of the non-breathers planet which is apparently in “close proximity” or any other physical proof of the veracity of the text will do nothing but confuse our planet unless we discover God in ourselves first. And I am not talking about a belief in God, but the real interactive God Jesus tried to enable us to realize; “the profoundly deep and actual experience of spiritual communion with the spirit influences resident within the human mind.”

Jim

I've always found context in the UB teachings to be very helpful in discovering the meaning and value of that text. For example, in Paper 101 (one of my favorite Papers and series of Papers 100-112 in the UB), section 1 referenced by Jim above is a teaching for each us to embrace, which requires mind and intellect to discern and understand as a critical step in our personal religious experience. Indeed there can be no meaning or value without mind and intellect, which binds those two with cause and effect, source and destiny, creator and creature, experience and wisdom, potential and actual, discernment and understanding.

I'm so grateful to Jim for the reference found in the expanded quotes below:

101:1.3 (1104.6) The divine spirit makes contact with mortal man, not by feelings or emotions, but in the realm of the highest and most spiritualized thinking. It is your thoughts, not your feelings, that lead you Godward. The divine nature may be perceived only with the eyes of the mind. But the mind that really discerns God, hears the indwelling Adjuster, is the pure mind. “Without holiness no man may see the Lord.” All such inner and spiritual communion is termed spiritual insight. Such religious experiences result from the impress made upon the mind of man by the combined operations of the Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth as they function amid and upon the ideas, ideals, insights, and spirit strivings of the evolving sons of God.

101:1.4 (1105.1) Religion lives and prospers, then, not by sight and feeling, but rather by faith and insight. It consists not in the discovery of new facts or in the finding of a unique experience, but rather in the discovery of new and spiritual meanings in facts already well known to mankind. The highest religious experience is not dependent on prior acts of belief, tradition, and authority; neither is religion the offspring of sublime feelings and purely mystical emotions. It is, rather, a profoundly deep and actual experience of spiritual communion with the spirit influences resident within the human mind, and as far as such an experience is definable in terms of psychology, it is simply the experience of experiencing the reality of believing in God as the reality of such a purely personal experience.

101:1.5 (1105.2) While religion is not the product of the rationalistic speculations of a material cosmology, it is, nonetheless, the creation of a wholly rational insight which originates in man’s mind-experience. Religion is born neither of mystic meditations nor of isolated contemplations, albeit it is ever more or less mysterious and always indefinable and inexplicable in terms of purely intellectual reason and philosophic logic. The germs of true religion originate in the domain of man’s moral consciousness, and they are revealed in the growth of man’s spiritual insight, that faculty of human personality which accrues as a consequence of the presence of the God-revealing Thought Adjuster in the God-hungry mortal mind.

Me here: I would agree that truth and spiritual experience are more than understanding and meaning...but it is certainly not less than those either according to the text referenced and posted by Jim above. One may not find value before or without finding meaning first. One may not discover meaning without study and contemplation and prayer which delivers insight and personal revelation which illuminates meaning and transforms truth into personal spiritual and religious experience.

So it is true that merely reading the UB will not deliver great meaning or value. But neither the meaning nor value of the UB will be gained without reading and study either. Or so I understand.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:23 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
So it is true that merely reading the UB will not deliver great meaning or value. But neither the meaning nor value of the UB will be gained without reading and study either. Or so I understand.

So the questions I'm thinking about are:

Is the Revelation, the Urantia Book?

Or is it something more?

Is it something else?

PostPosted:  

I think the value of personal essays such as Jim's is in the self discovery of what one thinks about the topic. It's also a snap shot of what one aspires to know, a window into one's own fears and hopes, and a good exercise on the road to self knowledge.

Of course, if one is serious, he knows that whatever he concluded or thought in his essay is history as soon as it's written. If we are growing, we are quicksilver, maintaining our integrity but finding new channels of discovery in our minds and spirits.

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
fanofVan wrote:

So the questions I'm thinking about are:

Is the Revelation, the Urantia Book?

Or is it something more?

Is it something else?

Well...if one were to believe the authors of the book, then yes, the Revelation IS the UB or the 5th Epochal Revelation is the UB, given by celestial personalities to our world.

The UB is intended to be a great cause for great effects delivered for a significant time and is given at a time of certain progress and potential to realize and the actualization of further planetary evolutionary progress.

Or so I understand the teachings.

8)