Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:05 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

There are similarities between the Urantia Book Theology and Cosmology and Sufism. This one song has some examples. Youtube Link to song: [url]tinyurl.com/listenhelminski[/url] “Listen” by Kabir Helminski sung by the Dost Quartet. Helminski is a leading translator of Jalaluddin Rumi into English.

The song is sung from the point of view of God (or the Adjuster) speaking to the individual.

Song quotes and Sufi concepts in italic.
Urantia Book quotes and concepts in bold.
Full lyrics below.

“Listen, dear one, My voice is within you.” ‘Dear One’ points to the personal loving relationship between God and each person. 1:1.5 ... God is generally known by some name indicative of personal relationship, tender affection, and fatherly devotion. 110:0.2 … I regard the love and devotion of a Thought Adjuster as the most truly divine affection in all creation. The love of the Sons in their ministry to the races is superb, but the devotion of an Adjuster to the individual is touchingly sublime, divinely Fatherlike. “Dearly beloved” is another example. Beloved and The Friend are common ways to refer to God in Sufism. 110:7.7 … never can [the adjuster] greet you, in the flesh, with the same full, sympathetic, and expressionful affection as they will when you discern them mind to mind on the mansion worlds. Jesus calls his disciples his Friends. 180:1.3 You have called me Master, but I do not call you servants. If you will only love one another as I am loving you, you shall be my friends[.]

“Voice within you” parallels the thought adjuster. Jesus said, 140:1.5 You are not to go hence in the proclamation of the kingdom, saying, `it is here' or `it is there,' for this kingdom of which you preach is God within you. Rumi wrote: "Shh... no more words. Hear only the voice within. Remember, the first thing He said was: 'We are beyond words.'"

About this the song says “I’ve called you so often, you have not heard me.”
110:7.9 While the voice of the Adjuster is ever within you, most of you will hear it seldom during a lifetime. And 110:3.1 But usually, when your Adjuster attempts to communicate with you, the message is lost in the material currents of the energy streams of human mind; only occasionally do you catch an echo, a faint and distant echo, of the divine voice.

Through me you find yourself , Why do you flee me? 117:4.14 The more man withdraws from God, the more nearly he approaches nonreality—cessation of existence.
The more closely man approaches God through love, the greater the reality—actuality—of that man.
When man consecrates his will to the doing of the Father's will, when man gives God all that he has, then does God make that man more than he is.

“Be mine, be for me, As you are in me“ In the New Testament (Acts 17:28): “For 'in him we live and move and have our being.” 12:7.12 The Father is not very far from any one of you; he dwells within you, and in him do we all literally move, actually live, and veritably have our being. There are at least 5 direct references to this phrase in the Urantia Book.

“Dearly beloved, This way leads to union” The Sufis call one’s earth death the ‘Urs’ meaning “Wedding Day,” a marriage union with God. The making of Two into One. This is similar to adjuster fusion. (They have the timing a little off.) 47:8.4 The Union of the evolving immortal soul with the eternal and divine Adjuster... After fusion there is no distinguishing the previous two entities apart. 110:7.4 … Subsequent to mortal fusion the Adjusters share your destiny and experience; they are you. "All separation dissolves like a shadow." 108:2.4 There are no intermediaries or other intervening authorities or powers functioning between the divine Adjusters and their human subjects; God and man are directly related.

188:4.10 The real believer is only concerned about present separation from God. Absolute Oneness with the Adjuster. 110:7.4 An absolute oneness with the divine Monitor, a complete exhaustion of the endowment of an Adjuster, can only be achieved in eternity subsequent to the final attainment of the Universal Father.

In the song there is a wailing flute. This is a Turkish instrument called a Ney which is made of a reed stalk. According to Rumi, the Ney wails because it has been separated from its home, the beloved reed bed of its birth. Writes Rumi in “The Reed Flute Song” ‘Anyone pulled from a source longs to go back.’

This longing for God is due in part at least to Spirit Gravity, a gift from the Eternal Son calling us home to Paradise. 7:3.2 The spiritual-gravity pull of the Eternal Son constitutes the inherent secret of the Paradise ascension of surviving human souls... The spirit-gravity circuit literally pulls the soul of man Paradiseward. But the Adjuster is involved with this longing as well. 107:0.5 It is the Adjuster who creates within man that unquenchable yearning and incessant longing to be like God, to attain Paradise, and there before the actual person of Deity to worship the infinite source of the divine gift.

Rumi says:
Every thirst gets satisfied,
except that of these fish, the mystics,
who swim a vast ocean of grace,
still somehow longing for it!

The Longing does not end until we reach Paradise. And then as Finaliters, who knows what will draw us near? The End

-Dan Gallagher

https://tinyurl.com/dostlyricslisten

[Verse 1]
Listen, dear one
My voice is within you
Listen, dear one
My voice is within you

I've called you so often
And you have not
heard me
I've called you so often
And you have not
heard me

[Verse 2]
I am the will between
The seen and the unseen
I am the will between
The seen and the unseen

Through me you
find yourself
Why do you flee me?
Through me you
find yourself
Why do you flee me?

[Verse 3]
Others love you
for themselves
Not who you really are
Others love you
for themselves
Not who you really are

Love me, love me alone
Love yourself in me
Love me, love me alone
Love yourself in me

[Verse 4]
I am the fragrance
Within every fragrance
I am the savor
Within every savor

You have not smelled me
And you have not tasted
You have not smelled me
And you have not tasted

[Verse 5]
Let nothing possess you
Nothing in any world
Let nothing possess you
Nothing in any world

Be mine, be for me
As you are in me
Be mine, be for me
As you are in me

[Verse 6]
Dearly beloved
This way leads to union
Dearly beloved
This way leads to union

All separation
Dissolves like a shadow
All separation
Dissolves like a shadow

[Verse 7]
Let's go hand in hand
Into the court of truth
Let's go hand in hand
Into the court of truth

Let truth place its imprint
On us forever
Let truth place its imprint
On us forever

Last edited by 606Dan606 on Tue May 11, 2021 12:31 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hello Dan, and welcome...

That is quite a nice post, and clearly demonstrates the compatibility of Urantia Book teachings with earthly religions that worship the One God. I am glad to know more about the Sufi religion through these comparisons.

Thanks...

PostPosted:  

Thanks, MaryJo. :)