Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:14 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Disowning the Past
PostPosted:  

Quote:
p1722:4 154:6.8 Mary and Jesus' brothers thought that Jesus did not understand them, that he had lost interest in them, little realizing that it was they who failed to understand Jesus. Jesus fully understood how difficult it is for men to break with their past. He knew how human beings are swayed by the preacher's eloquence, and how the conscience responds to emotional appeal as the mind does to logic and reason, but he also knew how far more difficult it is to persuade men to disown the past.

Quote:
p1739:3 156:5.8 Do not become discouraged by the discovery that you are human. Human nature may tend toward evil, but it is not inherently sinful. Be not downcast by your failure wholly to forget some of your regrettable experiences. The mistakes which you fail to forget in time will be forgotten in eternity. Lighten your burdens of soul by speedily acquiring a long-distance view of your destiny, a universe expansion of your career.

Quote:
p1740:4 156:5.17 The measure of the spiritual capacity of the evolving soul is your faith in truth and your love for man, but the measure of your human strength of character is your ability to resist the holding of grudges and your capacity to withstand brooding in the face of deep sorrow. Defeat is the true mirror in which you may honestly view your real self.

Quote:
p2018:2 188:5.3 Jesus, by the power of his personal love for men, could break the hold of sin and evil. He thereby set men free to choose better ways of living. Jesus portrayed a deliverance from the past which in itself promised a triumph for the future. Forgiveness thus provided salvation. The beauty of divine love, once fully admitted to the human heart, forever destroys the charm of sin and the power of evil

Quote:
p552:5 48:6.7 These seraphic evangels are dedicated to the proclamation of the gospel of eternal progression, the triumph of perfection attainment. On the mansion worlds they proclaim the great law of the conservation and dominance of goodness: No act of good is ever wholly lost; it may be long thwarted but never wholly annulled, and it is eternally potent in proportion to the divinity of its motivation.

Quote:
p1216:6 111:1.5 Mortal mind is a temporary intellect system loaned to human beings for use during a material lifetime, and as they use this mind, they are either accepting or rejecting the potential of eternal existence. Mind is about all you have of universe reality that is subject to your will, and the soul—the morontia self—will faithfully portray the harvest of the temporal decisions which the mortal self is making. Human consciousness rests gently upon the electrochemical mechanism below and delicately touches the spirit-morontia energy system above. Of neither of these two systems is the human being ever completely conscious in his mortal life; therefore must he work in mind, of which he is conscious. And it is not so much what mind comprehends as what mind desires to comprehend that insures survival; it is not so much what mind is like as what mind is striving to be like that constitutes spirit identification. It is not so much that man is conscious of God as that man yearns for God that results in universe ascension. What you are today is not so important as what you are becoming day by day and in eternity.

I think too often we tend to remember the most regrettable experiences of our past and refuse to let go because those experiences, no matter how painful, are what we are familiar with and understand. This gospel of the Kingdom we have dedicated ourselves to is very much a commitment to leading a life of uncertainty for the future. I would even go so far as to say that many, if not all of us, experience a sort of fear as to what the Gospel of the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of man will do to us and our lives once it is fully admitted into our hearts. Our very future is changed as a result of us having this faith. Human beings truly do fear what we do not know, and what do we know less of than the events of our future? After all, we have not only put our eternal life into the hands of the Father, but we have also dedicated our earthly lives to the doing of the Father’s will on a sin-stricken world. Very often on this world we must set aside or even give up our fondest dreams and our greatest hopes in service to God and man. Sometimes we must do this willingly, other times the circumstances of life force us to abandon even the most worthy of our goals. And so often the death of our dreams causes us to stumble, even to falter in our faith. It can be a little scary and at times we often doubt the eventual triumph of good over evil.

How often do we think to ourselves “If only I could know what was in store for me tomorrow, or next week, or next year?” Fear of the future is one of our greatest stumbling blocks, and it is in dwelling in the past--the comforts of knowing the have-beens as opposed to the will-be’s--that we find some stability on this volatile sphere. Yet we also remember our weaknesses, our shortcomings, and we fail to understand what is in store for us in the eternal ages. But it is eternally true, what we are today is infinitely less significant than what we are becoming in eternity.

But how can we disown the past? We cannot simply cease to remember the traumas and pain we’ve experienced, nor forget the pain others caused us. It seems like a triviality to dismiss them as just opportunities for growth. I suppose that simply calling them learning experiences is not enough until we put what we have learned into action: To those that have hurt us, have we truly forgiven them? Have we released them from their debt to us? It is easy to say that we have. But we need to ask ourselves, have our neighbor’s sins toward us caused us to think, feel, or act in a way contrary to the will of the Paradise Father? The most difficult part of forgiveness is learning to not let another’s sins cause us to fail in our spiritual progress. Otherwise our forgiveness is incomplete and dishonest toward ourselves, the offender, and the Father. Forgiveness is impossible without love, and it is only through sharing God’s love that we can forgive those who have hurt us the deepest. In forgiving another we create at least in potential the opportunity for increased service to another and increase the capacity for us to know the reality of God’s forgiveness. It is a cycle of love that destroys all evil and weakness resulting from sin.

Quote:
p555:4 48:6.25 Even as mortals, so have these angels been father to many disappointments, and they will point out that sometimes your most disappointing disappointments have become your greatest blessings. Sometimes the planting of a seed necessitates its death, the death of your fondest hopes, before it can be reborn to bear the fruits of new life and new opportunity. And from them you will learn to suffer less through sorrow and disappointment, first, by making fewer personal plans concerning other personalities, and then, by accepting your lot when you have faithfully performed your duty.

Our sins, our disappointments, our mistakes, they are insignificant in the scale of eternity, even though they may seem all-consuming in this life or even part of the next. Yet I have come to believe, despite all that has happened, that the Father in Heaven would never put more on our plate than we can handle. There is no trial in the universe which is too great that the infinite Father cannot help us overcome in time. And I can lay my faith in this because a part of the Father Himself lives within us.

Despite all the trials, pain, and broken hearts, we somehow know that all these things are just stops on the road to the greatest peace in all universe existence: seeing the Father in Paradise and knowing the truth of His infinite love. We should all have that trust in the Father that lets us know that when we stand before Him a perfected creature from the worlds of time and space every disappointment we have ever experienced or mistake we have ever made will be more than made up for.

In disowning the past, we are not expected to simply forget it ever happened. What we are expected to do is to not let the sins of the past hinder us in our eternal advancement. It is by doing good that the evil of our past is nullified. It is by loving both our brothers and sisters here on earth and the Father that all evil, all weakness, and all sin are overcome and in their place we only have love, joy, peace, and true happiness.

Quote:
p1945:2 180:1.5 If you would share the Master's joy, you must share his love. And to share his love means that you have shared his service. Such an experience of love does not deliver you from the difficulties of this world; it does not create a new world, but it most certainly does make the old world new.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Chriss,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I always enjoy reading your posts here and I agree with what you so graciously put into words.
Learning to forgive can be one of the hardest tasks we undertake.

Quote:
By opening the human end of the channel of the God-man communication, mortals make immediately available the ever-flowing stream of divine ministry to the creatures of the worlds. When man hears God's spirit speak within the human heart, inherent in such an experience is the fact that God simultaneously hears that man's prayer. Even the forgiveness of sin operates in this same unerring fashion. The Father in heaven has forgiven you even before you have thought to ask him, but such forgiveness is not available in your personal religious experience until such a time as you forgive your fellow men. God's forgiveness in fact is not conditioned upon your forgiving your fellows, but in experience it is exactly so conditioned. And this fact of the synchrony of divine and human forgiveness was thus recognized and linked together in the prayer which Jesus taught the apostles. p1638

God Bless You Chriss O:)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: "In liaison with God, nothing--absolutely nothing--is impossible." 291:03

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:35 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

WOW :!:
Again.
So much to be learned 8) .
Well stated all. When I learn more I will be able to contribute more.
Till then :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Nice presentation, Chriss. Well done.

The National Institute of Mental Health states that Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, PTSD, is an anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal in which grave physical harm occurred or was threatened. Traumatic events that may trigger PTSD include violent personal assaults, natural or human-caused disasters, accidents, or military combat.

Wikipedia says: Diagnostic symptoms include reexperience such as flashbacks and nightmares, avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma, increased arousal such as difficulty falling or staying asleep, anger and hypervigilance. Per definition, the symptoms last more than six months and cause significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (e.g. problems with work and relationships.)

People in recovery are encouraged to remember their past and talk about it, so as not to be in denial of their life's experiences and so they can confront these anxieties and get past them, learn from them. "Disowning the past" is especially difficult when these abuses happen to children because their formative years are marred, even their personality is distorted, and so their entire afterlife is affected; this is the kind of thing that might take aeons to get past.

Telling ones story is a recovery technique utilized by all survivors of abuse and victims of rape, incest, dismemberment, cancer, military service, etc., all over the world. There is a vast culture where people are encouraged to tell their story again and again until the emotional impact has diminished to the point where they can sleep without having nighmares; so they can begin to experience a healthy relationship with a "Higher Power," with them selves, and with others; so they can live normal lives without cringing or "going off" every time they are triggered to remember, where they can laugh about what used to be unbearable.

There are literally millions of people in recovery from one thing or another and more often than not several things at once. Frankly, coming from a planet like Urantia, I think everybody ought to be in recovery from "such a life on such a planet" or at least have some appreciation of how brutal life can be and how difficult it is for some people to "get over it," particularly when these events have happened with children.

Of course, an essential part of recovery is finding a "Higher Power" that will go with you into the psyche (soul) to address those issues so they can be released and virtually healed. Some folks can afford professionals; some are grateful for support groups, which are just as effective. But millions of people refuse to admit there is anything wrong with them or that they need help at all.

Those of us who have healed from any malady of any consequence know that God is with us, and has been with us through thick and thin, even through the traumas, but knowing that in our head and believing it in our gut are two different things. People might need to forgive God for the trauma before they can let him in to help the healing process from the damage done by lesser gods. It is for this reason many people need to be brought to their knees before they can begin the recovery process.

However, when these experiences can be seen objectively, when we begin to discover the lessons to be learned in such experiences, or see how cleverly we have learned to survive, and how to better our survival techniques through living faith, perhaps through knowing the religious life of Jesus, then those experiences can help us help others, and it will be easier to forgive the vicissitudes of such a life on such a planet as well as the people who are still stuck in their dis-ease.

With persistent application to personal healing, eventually the memory fades and only experiential wisdom remains ... and compassion for those who still suffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Teach all believers to avoid leaning upon the insecure props of false sympathy. You cannot develop strong characters out of the indulgence of self-pity; honestly endeavor to avoid the deceptive influence of mere fellowship in misery. Extend sympathy to the brave and courageous while you withhold overmuch pity from those cowardly souls who only halfheartedly stand up before the trials of living. Offer not consolation to those who lie down before their troubles without a struggle. Sympathize not with your fellows merely that they may sympathize with you in return.
When my children once become self-conscious of the assurance of the divine presence, such a faith will expand the mind, ennoble the soul, reinforce the personality, augment the happiness, deepen the spirit perception, and enhance the power to love and be loved. p1766:7-8 159:3.11-12

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:35 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Chriss what a sweet post you made here. Certainly something relavent to us all in our journey through this life.

One comment you made that drew my attention was this:
Quote:
Very often on this world we must set aside or even give up our fondest dreams and our greatest hopes in service to God and man.
I found this interesting. It seems to me in my fortunate experience, That when I was younger people would talk about making sacrafices and I would think about doing a service for someone else as a chore most of the time. I thought of it as taking away from those things which I at the time I wished I would be doing. Usuaully something involving seeking pleasures of fun and relaxation for myself.

But as I matured and started to Love and place my faith in God, More and
More, I the things that gave me joy and pleasure WERE THINGS that were of Service to god and my fellow human being. Anyway what I'm trying to say Chriss is that I changed over time, and what I left behind were MY OLD DREAMS and asperations. And my New Dreams and asperations lay before me and are the same on this world as I expect they'll be on the next. I still have physical desires tied to this worldly material experience and I expect I'll have them until I'm so physically consumed that they will no longer hold any value to me and then my being will become even more spiritual I imagine. :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yes, of course recovery programs are just a beginning. We have an eternity of learning experiences ahead of us. When you talk about "misery loves company," you must be thinking of co-dependence. The people I know in recovery do not love misery, they are not whiners. They are god-conscious, spirit-led people who like to be happy, joyous and free, just like you and me. They like to laugh and work and do all the things we all like to do and go to great pains NOT to live in the past or in the future but in today.

I don't consider 12-step work a vocation but a spiritual fellowship and a loving service. Just as I strive to live Jesusonian principles as a way of life, I try to live recovery principles in all my affairs. We don't all have to think alike or act alike or serve the same way in order to have unity of purpose. Our apostolic harmony must grow out of the fact that the spirit hope of each of us is identical in origin, nature and destiny.

Best wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

He enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it. It is literally true: "If any man has Christ Jesus within him, he is a new creature; old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new." 1103:06

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Those God-knowing men and women who have been born of the Spirit experience no more conflict with their mortal natures than do the inhabitants of the most normal of worlds, planets which have never been tainted with sin nor touched by rebellion. Faith sons work on intellectual levels and live on spiritual planes far above the conflicts produced by unrestrained or unnatural physical desires. The normal urges of animal beings and the natural appetites and impulses of the physical nature are not in conflict with even the highest spiritual attainment except in the minds of ignorant, mistaught, or unfortunately overconscientious persons.
Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, "This is the way." p383:1-2 34:7.7-8

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey all
Below is a link to a self-help site that uses tapping as a way to confront and deal with some forms of PTSD.
http://www.emofree.com
It isn't at all like the UB but it could help some that might be in need. I tried it some years ago and got some results, but not enough to keep at it. I guess it works well for some not as well for others.
Let me know what you think. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I am not blaming anybody, Iris. I am stating a fact. It is a fact I learned from the book both you and I love and appreciate. We are isolated. We lost our infrastructure due to the rebellion and we lost our planetary parents, plus a lot of health benefits, in the default. Those are facts, Iris, not condemnations. You accept it; I accept it. No fault; no blame. It is what we are dealing with. If I was going to blame anybody (which I am not), I would probably blame Paul of Tarsus (because of the woman's issue) but that would be a fruitless exercise. Blaming solves nothing, heals nothing, serves nothing.

But we do have challenges to deal with. As you say, they are natural and appropriate challenges for us, since one way or another we live on a semi-civilized planet on the outskirts of Orvonton. Even with God on our side and Jesus in our pocket, we still have to grapple with "such a life on such a planet." That is not whining. It is not blaming. It is stating a fact. You don't want me to state that fact? You don't want me to have that observation? You don't want me to recognize that people sometimes have a hard time "getting it" or rising to other people's standards of what that means? It's an evolutionary process, Iris. One psychic circle at a time.

I am not saying it's Lucifer's fault or the fault of Adam and Eve that there are wars and kiddie diddlers and other major dysfunctions on this world. Under any circumstances, how do you figure that kind of thing could make me feel better? I feel better because I was lost but now I'm found; I am God's child and we have a relationship in spite of it all. But I didn't always know that, and a lot of people still don't know that, and when I am sick, like I was last month, I am swallowed up by fear ... even after all these years. This is not whining, this is stating a fact. A fact of life. A fact of the human condition on a world where our perfection quotient is extremely relative.

You get tired of hearing my defense? Well, I get tired of hearing your accusation. So let's quit focusing on what we don't like about each other and get back to appreciating what we do like about each other which I know is considerable. I respect your talents and I wish you would learn to respect the talents I have been given to minister and serve. Let's see how we can help each other and our peers instead of nit-picking each other like a couple of dingbats.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Teach all believers to avoid leaning upon the insecure props of false sympathy. You cannot develop strong characters out of the indulgence of self-pity; honestly endeavor to avoid the deceptive influence of mere fellowship in misery. Extend sympathy to the brave and courageous while you withhold overmuch pity from those cowardly souls who only halfheartedly stand up before the trials of living. Offer not consolation to those who lie down before their troubles without a struggle. Sympathize not with your fellows merely that they may sympathize with you in return.
When my children once become self-conscious of the assurance of the divine presence, such a faith will expand the mind, ennoble the soul, reinforce the personality, augment the happiness, deepen the spirit perception, and enhance the power to love and be loved. p1766:7-8 159:3.11-12

I feel that this statement from the UB lacks compassion and understanding. I don't see how this statement could ever have the backing of our Heavenly Father. It is certainly not lost on me that we should not wallow in self pity while we navigate this life. I understand that we don't want to sympathize with someone if they are only looking for a way to escape the struggles of life. But rather than coldly reject such ones we should try to encourage them in their struggles. We would do well to give them courage and a listening ear.

But I see the wording as cruel and heartless. 'Cowardly souls that halfheartedly stand up before the trials of living,' smacks of cold heartedness and insensitivity. It seems to me that it was thought up by someone that never had to live a life on this earth. Good luck to ya if any celestial that thought up this gem could do any better than some of our brethren have done on this mad planet. What is needed is not some glib hard hearted counsel. What is needed is a strong dose of empathy, understanding and kindness. A person that is in the above described life situation will respond much better to such an approach than a smack upside the head.

And when it comes to disowning the past, I do see the wisdom of doing just that. But this must be weighed against a traumatic event that causes serious harm to ones psyche. Take for example a soldier that has experienced the horrors of war. Maybe they witnessed the brutal death of their fellow brother soldier. They keep reliving this moment over and over. As much as they try, they cannot stop being tormented by this traumatic event. They often dream about this event and wake up in a sweat. I view such a trauma as a severe injury to the emotional state of the brain. What would happen if there was a severe physical injury that did not receive appropriate medical care? The untreated wound would become infected and gangrenous. It is quite possible that the limb could be lost. Why should we think that this is any different on the mental level. A traumatic event left untreated could result in a gangrene of the mind, in a way. But even those individuals that have gotten help for their traumatic events do not always recover. Is it because they are cowardly souls that halfheartedly stand up before the trials of living? How cruel to think such a thing. And we know that hundreds of Iraqi soldiers have committed suicide over the past year. Their minds could not handle the traumas that they witnessed and they felt the only way out was suicide. Such persons deserve our deep seated love and compassion. Not our contempt.

Do you think that the angels, spirit guides and loved ones on the other side will treat such ones with such callousness? These persons deserve all the kindness, understanding, sympathy and love that they can muster. And that also goes for such persons that are hanging on in this world. We do well to sympathize with such ones. But what they really need is continuing professional help. If they thought that we viewed them as mere cowardly souls halfheartedly standing up before the trials of living, we could push them to suicide. Is that what we want?

What this comes down to is common sense. If there are words of a revelation that get in the way of the fruits of the spirit, then such words must be rejected. Just because a book claims to be a revelation does not mean that we must accept every word. We must let our own spirit and that of our Heavenly Father, Creator Son and Mother Spirit, determine if we will accept certain words of a revelation. I know in my heart what is right and I know in my heart what is wrong. We should let the spirit of God that lives in our minds determine, together with our spirit, what we know to be right. The unconditional love in our hearts for others should always trump words of coldness and cruelty.

Love,
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:37 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Well now I am nearly speechless and certainly flabbergasted.

First I was amused with the notion that Iris and Gerdean need to get a room, then out of the blue, Mister Shakita comes along and insinuates that Jesus lacks mercy, compassion, needs a new speech writer, and is otherwise chock full of bad spiritual advice.

Sweet baby Jesus.

Shakita, that just sucks.

And those weren't even Jesus exact words. If you had looked up a few paragraphs, you would have seen where the Paper writer states "restated in modern phraseology."

You've had HOW much to drink today buddy?

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php