The Diamond Sutra

The Analects of Confucius

The Book of Mormon

Yr obdt. servt,
Russ

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Dear Truthbook friends,

We hope that this letter finds all of you happy, optimistic, and looking forward to a beautiful spring season on Michael's beautiful planet Urantia.

If you are a regular visitor to Truthbook, you are likely familiar with the "word clouds" that accompany the first page of each of the Papers on our site. Here's an example http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1001

A devoted Urantia Book reader, Russ McClay, discovered this wonderful way to encapsulate the concepts in The Urantia Book, and introduced it on our Discussion Board here a year or so ago.

One day a few weeks ago, we were surprised to get a visit from one of our most entertaining and devoted Urantia brothers here in Boulder, whose name is Don Green. Some of you may know Don personally, or you may know him by reputation. Don, along with one of our Truthbook team members, Larry Watkins, has for many years spent every Tuesday lunchtime manning a Urantia Book booth at the University of Colorado for the edification of the students. Their work has been faithful, tireless, and has borne fruit. You can read more about this inspiring outreach project at the Urantia Book Club website: http://www.urantia-book-club.org/

Don had seen the Urantia Book word cloud on our site and wrote to Russ, asking him to send him a file that he could take to a printer and have made into a poster-sized, suitable-for-framing work of art. Don was so excited to see the final product, and so were we. We were happy that he brought it by to share with us, and now we want to share it with you. Doesn't he look happy? You can see on the picture that Don's poster is laminated with a sturdy backing, and that it is a quite large 24x37 inches.

Don's idea is to have these posters available for special order at 1C'11 this summer in Salt Lake City. He will make the following standard sizes available for order to purchasers: 14x18, 18x24 and 24x37, but you'll be able to place an order for other sizes of your choice. Any framing or laminating will have to be done on your own, but it is not a difficult or expensive project. Don will be asking purchasers to contribute only the cost of printing in order to have one of these beautiful words clouds for themselves. We thought you'd all like to know ahead of time...

If you are not planning to attend the conference and wish to order a poster now, you can write to Don at dsgreen1@comcast.net

To see this amazing distillation of a revelation portrayed in such a simple, yet powerful way is very inspiring, and something that many Urantia Book readers would love to have hanging on their wall. We hope you'll agree.

As always, share this news with others as you see fit, and tell your friends who may not have received this letter, too! This poster is a beautiful work of art, and a fascinating conversation piece for any Urantian!

Sincerely,

Your Truthbook Team

PostPosted:  

Hi MaryJo -

I am surprised, happy, and humbled about your post.

Don wrote me an email recently about wanting a high-resolution "word cloud" of the entire Urantia Book. He liked the black background version, but of the original set I had only generated one with a white background. So I re-generated one with a black background using the same "formula", which due to randomness, is a unique layout; although the word size calculations are the same as to original.

I sent the file to him and he really liked it. In return he generously sent me two Uversa Press Urantia Books. One leather-bound and one hard-back. Wow. I've never seen these before. 1955 text. Beautifully typeset. The leather one's mine -- I know it's only book, but this version is really nice to hold! I gave my dear friend Paul here in Taiwan the hard-bound. Very special gifts to both of us. I even warned Don about shipping costs to Taiwan and that it was OK, he didn't need to send anything...haha...he sent them anyway (and I was only expecting one book).

Don let me know about this post and asked me what I thought about it.

I said something like, "I like the idea of making prints of this inspired "word cloud" of the entire Urantia Book and fully approve".

And since I know nothing about copyright laws, let me say that while there is an inscription "Copyright © 2011 Russ McClay" on the image: with this I grant Don full use of the PDF I sent him in any way he wishes. At least it's on the record here. =)

I might order one of those 24x37's myself!

Peace,
Russ

PostPosted:  

i want to go to taiwan (isle formosa). 131:7.3 Every time man yields to anxiety, he takes one step away from the leading of the spirit of his heart.’ Pride obscures god. If you would obtain heavenly help, put away your pride; every hair of pride shuts off saving light, as it were, by a great cloud.

anxiety is fear and a bad thing, sin and error. i don't use the word pride though because of the first definition of it, although i have the third definition of it, the first definition of it is so heinous that i just never use the word to not even be slightly misunderstood.

pride  /praɪd/ Show Spelled
[prahyd] Show IPA
noun, verb, prid·ed, prid·ing.
–noun
1. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
2. the state or feeling of being proud.
3. a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.

Russ McClay wrote:
This is one more thing I wanted to do with the "word clouds" here
on Truth Book: create word clouds of some of the world's religions,
of their texts. All content was derived from online sources
such as http://www.gutenberg.org/.

Again, the clouds represent an interesting distillation of textual
content based on word frequency. It's interesting how well the
Urantia Book holds up to this process, its cloud is so well-balanced
and rich.