Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:52 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

5.4.2 The great and immediate service of true religion is the establishment of an enduring unity in human experience, a lasting peace and a profound assurance. With primitive man, even polytheism is a relative unification of the evolving concept of Deity; polytheism is monotheism in the making. Sooner or later, God is destined to be comprehended as the reality of values, the substance of meanings, and the life of truth.

Last edited by Bonita on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:23 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi Iris,

Yes, I was attempting to draw the distinctions between "true religion," "religion," and spirituality using the terminology of the book. I know we tend to use the terms as we generally understand them but TUB gives us better, more precise and accurate meanings for many significant words. True, saying I'm spiritual rather than religious is an attempt to say I don't adhere to the dogma of any particular organized religion, but in Jesus' teachings and in Paper 99 the emphasis is in the meaning of developing true religion and not in adhering to religions of authority.

Also, I believe this paper is indicating that we should strive to live a religious life, in the true religion sense, rather than strive to live a "spiritual" life since TUB defines religion as personal spirituality in action.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

92.7.5 Primitive religion was largely a material-value consciousness, but civilization elevates religious values, for true religion is the devotion of the self to the service of meaningful and supreme values. As religion evolves, ethics becomes the philosophy of morals, and morality becomes the discipline of self by the standards of highest meanings and supreme values — divine and spiritual ideals. And thus religion becomes a spontaneous and exquisite devotion, the living experience of the loyalty of love.

Last edited by Bonita on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

The following was posted to a discussion list I participate in...

To: "Fellowship Society Administration"
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:15:30 AM GMT -07:00
Subject: World unites for democracy in Iran

Enjoy the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UnXP89jlcc&eurl

~~~~~~~~~~~~

... to which I replied...

Hi --

Yes, captivating and beautiful music -- who doesn't love that song? However, this is an excellent opportunity to bring up a topic that was posted on the Truthbook.com discussion board back in 2007 regarding some musical insights presented by Chris Halvorson. You may enjoy wrapping your mind(s) around the concepts presented in the first post of this forum at...

http://forums.truthbook.com/viewtopic.p ... 86&start=0

Best wishes,

~~~~~~~~~

Some interesting comments may come of this... I'll post them here if there are.

Larry

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

It's been some time since I've added anything here so it would be good just to say that Chris Halvorson's study group continues its weekly course of sequential study and we're currently at Paper 102, Section 2 -- usually one of most readers' most favorite portions of the book, so why haven't I posted?

It's not for lack of new and intriguing concepts and insight presented by Chris that I've not been posting. Chris's is not a typical study group -- I've attended many and even presided over a few.

We've pretty much left the area of facts now as the end of Part III becomes faintly visible in the distant future. Most study groups that I know prefer to concentrate on facts (and most UB students have a pretty good grasp of its facts) since they're tangible and we can discuss them and can wrap our minds around them, toss them about like tennis balls; The Urantia Book is filled with exciting facts and Chris is good with discussing them, the best I've encountered. But Chris is a philosopher more than a scientist, the first I've met face to face. I've wondered at why I've had such difficulty grasping the material as Chris describes in exquisite detail the paragraph we've just read and I can hardly recognize what I think I've read and what he's describing as being one and the same. It's not that there's distortion but rather that there are other ways of understanding the material, understanding it from a philosophical point of view, and I find that I've never been taught in a philosophical way before nor has my mind been wired for processing philosophy through past exposure.

If one studies philosophy today they'll be sent back to 600 B.C. -- it's as if philosophy was something that sprouted up new then but quickly disappeared, leaving some ancient and interesting writings, but not really pertinent to thinking for the past 2,000 years.

From TUB we understand that philosophy is the link between the material and the spiritual, between fact and value. We (me anyway) tend to concentrate on facts. Sometimes we'll give values a passing glance, but seldom do we immerse ourselves in the values and the link to them through philosophical inquiry and that's why I've found it difficult to come away from this study group with anything tangible to post.

I'd suggest, if you've not done so already, that you give the videos of this unique study group some attention. You'll find them at http://www.perfectinghorizons.org -- perhaps if you watch a video and read along with it you'll come up with some questions or new ideas that can be discussed here. In the meantime I'll still be in search of those elusive facts that my mind latches onto so they can be posted here.

Larry

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

This particular insight has nothing to do with where we're currently studying in the book -- we've just begun Paper 112. Before the session began though there was some discussion about hair and eye color. The Andonite people originated about 1 million years ago. Their swarthy complexions, black hair and black irises were typical for 500,000 years when the Prince arrived and the Sangik races suddenly appeared. The Sangik races continued the black hair, black eyes composition although their skin color changed -- hair and eye colors remained the same. There may have been some variation along the way due to the intermixing of the few of the Prince's staff, but we're really not told what physical effects that would have produced. So, swarthy complexion, red, yellow, indigo, blue, and small amounts of orange and green skin tones, black hair, black eyes for about 960,000 years and then the infusion of Adamic blood suddenly produced the wide spectrum of hair and eye color that we see today.

I found that to be an interesting observation.
Larry

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
I should have begun this thread with an explanation -- which I didn't do when I started it so I've come back to edit this first post. I attend a weekly Friday night study group in Boulder, Colorado. It's Chris Halvorson's study group, a sequential reading of the book, and is attended on a pretty consistent basis by 20-30 readers, most of whom are long-time students of the book with decades of study behind them. Many of the regulars attended the Boulder School for The Urantia Book back in the '70s and '80s so they know the contents of the book pretty well. Since Chris discovered TUB in the early 90's some of the attendees of his group have been familiar with the book considerably longer than he has. But obviously time is not a factor -- comprehension and insight make all the difference and that's why he keeps the old timers coming back for more.

My plan for this thread has been to post the ahhh hah! moments that often occur during the study group, or other insights that I find new and intriguing that readers new and old here might appreciate. You're welcome to question or comment on these observations (as the following post does) and if I'm unable to answer the questions I'll attempt to get Chris to clarify. The only credit I take for these insights is in posting them as I remember them after the study session -- all other credit goes to Chris.

Video recordings of these study sessions began in May of 2007 with Paper 57 where the sequential study was when recording started. Each weekly study session is available now for viewing over the internet from the website http://www.perfectinghorizons.org/ If you would like to view the study session that correlates with any of the study group insights related in this thread just go to the PerfectingHorizons site and view that particular study group session.

Larry -- 1/2009

--------------------------------------------------------------

Paper 67:4 The Caligastia One Hundred After Rebellion

The 1960s and early 70s were a time of spiritual quickening, a time when the sixth adjutant mind minister, the spirit of worship/zeal was vitalizing social consciousness. The quickening of this minister in the mind can draw the seeker upward and Godward or pull him downward in religious fervor or spiritual zeal and as freewill creatures the direction of pull of this impulse is of our own choosing. An example of the outworking of this minister can be taken from the music of the Beatles, who were then and still are a strong cultural influence through the songs they produced. We assume that the music written by the Beatles was all created from the best of intentions, peace, harmony, love, truth, beauty, and goodness. As far as we know, the Beatles didn't know of or study the Fifth Epochal Revelation, but a couple of their songs can illustrate how an epochal revelation can be found working through the consciousness of individuals, groups, and cultures.

Paul McCartney had a dream that inspired his song Let It Be. He dreamed that his deceased mother had whispered these words to him. It may as well have been Mother Spirit contact through the sixth adjutant drawing him upward to produce this beautiful song.

Let It Be
Paul McCartney (adapted by Chris Halvorson)

When I find myself in times of trouble,
Mother Spirit comes to me.
Speaking words of wisdom; let it be.
And in my hour of darkness,
She is standing right in front of me,

Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom; let it be.

And when the brokenhearted people
Living in the world agree,
There will be an answer; let it be.
For though they may be parted,
There is still a chance that they will see.
There will be an answer; let it be.

Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; let it be.
Yeah, there will be an answer; let it be.
Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; let it be.

Let it be; let it be;
Let it be; yeah, let it be.

And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me.
Shine until tomorrow; let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music;
Mother Spirit comes to me,

Yeah, let it be; let it be;
Oh, there will be an answer; let it be.
Let it be; let it be;
Oh, there will be an answer; let it be.

Let it be; let it be;

John Lennon produced and popularized the Lucifer Manifesto, again, through the best of intentions and the best of musicianship. His contact with the sixth adjutant resulted in the downward pull of spiritual zeal captured in his popular and memorably lovely song Imagine. This gives a glimpse at the persuasive beauty Lucifer would have exemplified through presence and words (and music) as he pursued his declaration of unbridled personal liberty. The effects of the manifesto and rebellion remain with us today.

Imagine [the secular hymn]
John Lennon (annotated by Chris Halvorson)

Imagine there's no heaven; [the first principle of the Lucifer manifesto] *1
It's easy if you try— [it's easy to lower your consciousness—difficult to raise it]
No hell below us,
Above us only sky. [second principle of the Lucifer manifesto] *2
Imagine all the people,
Living for today... [third principle of the Lucifer manifesto] *3

Imagine there's no countries [spiritual impatience for the age of light and life]
It isn't heard to do— [it's easy to be immature]
Nothing to kill or die for, [first principle of the Lucifer manifesto]
And no religion too. [second and third principles of the Lucifer manifesto]
Imagine all the people,
Living life in peace... [invocation of the sophistry]

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us,
And the world will be as one. [appeal to mere spiritual consciousness]

Imagine no possessions;
I wonder if you can—
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people,
Sharing all the world... [spiritual daydreaming about the age of light and life]

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us,
And the world will live as one. [reinforcement of the call to envision unity]

— — —
Footnotes:
1 - no dwelling place for God, no source of purpose, no pattern of perfection; nihilism
2 - no personal responsibility to a hierarchical universe government; anarchism
3 - no cosmic ascension career, no living today for tomorrow; solipsism (it's all about you and your immediate experiences.)
4 - "Nothing"; literally nihilism (i.e., nothing-ism)
5 - no spiritual hierarchy; anarchism + no personal relationship with god; solipsism

Not only did John capture the essence of the Manifesto, he did so in proper sequence; insidious and with a great loveliness it continues to infiltrate our consciousness and philosophical thought.

L. Watkins

its is large article , but it ' s very good .....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15