Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:15 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
nodAmanaV wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
So it is true that merely reading the UB will not deliver great meaning or value. But neither the meaning nor value of the UB will be gained without reading and study either. Or so I understand.

So the questions I'm thinking about are:

Is the Revelation, the Urantia Book?

Or is it something more?

Is it something else?

Well...if one were to believe the authors of the book, then yes, the Revelation IS the UB or the 5th Epochal Revelation is the UB, given by celestial personalities to our world.

The UB is intended to be a great cause for great effects delivered for a significant time and is given at a time of certain progress and potential to realize and the actualization of further planetary evolutionary progress.

Or so I understand the teachings.

8)

Ok then, so 2000 years ago, was the Revelation, Jesus of Nazareth?

And before that, Melchizedek?

And so on.

I ask these questions because in my experiences, finally recognizing something like what we're discussing, usually it happens after one thing follows another.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

According to my understanding, the revelation itself is the teachings delivered by the revelators. It is the salt and leaven of knowledge, truth, and perspective delivered, 5 times now, by celestial agents of the Most Highs to the world. It is not the person (or book) per se, but the content and message and examples of illumination and insight and enlightenment that compose the Epochal Revelations.

Such gifts of Epochal Revelation are/become causes of intentional effects for the evolutionary process and progress of the world and its people in their personal lives which radiate outward and ripple through time over many generations.

8) Or so I understand the teachings.

92:4.4 (1007.4) There have been many events of religious revelation but only five of epochal significance. These were as follows:

92:4.5 (1007.5) 1. The Dalamatian teachings. The true concept of the First Source and Center was first promulgated on Urantia by the one hundred corporeal members of Prince Caligastia’s staff. This expanding revelation of Deity went on for more than three hundred thousand years until it was suddenly terminated by the planetary secession and the disruption of the teaching regime. Except for the work of Van, the influence of the Dalamatian revelation was practically lost to the whole world. Even the Nodites had forgotten this truth by the time of Adam’s arrival. Of all who received the teachings of the one hundred, the red men held them longest, but the idea of the Great Spirit was but a hazy concept in Amerindian religion when contact with Christianity greatly clarified and strengthened it.

92:4.6 (1007.6) 2. The Edenic teachings. Adam and Eve again portrayed the concept of the Father of all to the evolutionary peoples. The disruption of the first Eden halted the course of the Adamic revelation before it had ever fully started. But the aborted teachings of Adam were carried on by the Sethite priests, and some of these truths have never been entirely lost to the world. The entire trend of Levantine religious evolution was modified by the teachings of the Sethites. But by 2500 B.C. mankind had largely lost sight of the revelation sponsored in the days of Eden.

92:4.7 (1007.7) 3. Melchizedek of Salem. This emergency Son of Nebadon inaugurated the third revelation of truth on Urantia. The cardinal precepts of his teachings were trust and faith. He taught trust in the omnipotent beneficence of God and proclaimed that faith was the act by which men earned God’s favor. His teachings gradually commingled with the beliefs and practices of various evolutionary religions and finally developed into those theologic systems present on Urantia at the opening of the first millennium after Christ.

92:4.8 (1008.1) 4. Jesus of Nazareth. Christ Michael presented for the fourth time to Urantia the concept of God as the Universal Father, and this teaching has generally persisted ever since. The essence of his teaching was love and service, the loving worship which a creature son voluntarily gives in recognition of, and response to, the loving ministry of God his Father; the freewill service which such creature sons bestow upon their brethren in the joyous realization that in this service they are likewise serving God the Father.

92:4.9 (1008.2) 5. The Urantia Papers. The papers, of which this is one, constitute the most recent presentation of truth to the mortals of Urantia. These papers differ from all previous revelations, for they are not the work of a single universe personality but a composite presentation by many beings. But no revelation short of the attainment of the Universal Father can ever be complete. All other celestial ministrations are no more than partial, transient, and practically adapted to local conditions in time and space. While such admissions as this may possibly detract from the immediate force and authority of all revelations, the time has arrived on Urantia when it is advisable to make such frank statements, even at the risk of weakening the future influence and authority of this, the most recent of the revelations of truth to the mortal races of Urantia.

Me here: The teachings of truth and the reality perspective presented are the Revelation found within the words of the UB. There is great meaning and value therein to discover, discern, and apply in our lives and to grow thereby. And despite and in contradiction to earlier claims here, Jesus was himself a scholar, and scholarship is a very noble and worthy aspiration and great tool of religious experience and progress for seekers of truth and for entire generations and worlds!

As to "chapter and verse" critics....the Master could recite chapter and verse and those were an inspiration and illumination and guide and comfort to him...as they are to me and many others. The Master was a great scholar and teacher of both fact and truth, and he so admired scholarship and books and words and found inspiration and meaning and value in such study his entire life among us!

The words - or chapter and verse - of revelation, truth, and guidance should, perhaps, receive more respect, welcome, and recommendation here, of all places. I know of no one here who merely cites the text without seeking out meaning as well. There is comfort and also power in the Revelation...if one comes to know and then understand the teachings and reality-perspective written therein.

The comfort of the Good News and the power of knowledge and truth, the celestial perspective of universe realities which can transform our experience and accelerate our personal spiritization by adding meaning and value to our noble endeavors is the purpose and potential to be discovered in this Revelation...that is, for those with the eyes to see and the ears to hear.

I wonder how one finds the value of Epochal Revelation or truth itself without first finding understanding and meaning? And how is discernment of understanding and meaning of this Revelation accomplished - or even begun - without an actual and factual knowledge of the Revelation? For in this very discussion itself it is apparent that there is here significant confusion as to the both the "chapter and verse" of the UB as well as its meaning.

If we do not know, understand, or appreciate the chapter and verse of the UB then how might we know its value? And how might it effect our personal religious experience?

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 am +0000, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted:  

The Revelation, is you.

The Revelation, is all of us.

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
The Revelation, is you.

The Revelation, is all of us.

Nope. It isn't...and we aren't. You are welcome to your opinion Enno/nod ....but it does contradict the teachings we study here together about revelation. There is personal revelation and Epochal Revelation...none and neither of which is mortal to mortal.

I look forward to support of your belief and opinion here. We can share the Revelation and reveal its truths in our life if that's what you mean....but we are neither personal nor epochal revelations to any others...not according to the Papers anyway.

:wink:

101:4.3 (1109.4) Truth is always a revelation: autorevelation when it emerges as a result of the work of the indwelling Adjuster; epochal revelation when it is presented by the function of some other celestial agency, group, or personality.

Back to the topic:

111:2.2 (1217.6) The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster threads the spirit patterns of a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings—a surviving soul of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter.

111:2.3 (1218.1) The human personality is identified with mind and spirit held together in functional relationship by life in a material body.  This functioning relationship of such mind and spirit does not result in some combination of the qualities or attributes of mind and spirit but rather in an entirely new, original, and unique universe value of potentially eternal endurance, the soul.

111:2.4 (1218.2) There are three and not two factors in the evolutionary creation of such an immortal soul. These three antecedents of the morontia human soul are:

111:2.5 (1218.3) 1. The human mind and all cosmic influences antecedent thereto and impinging thereon.

111:2.6 (1218.4) 2. The divine spirit indwelling this human mind and all potentials inherent in such a fragment of absolute spirituality together with all associated spiritual influences and factors in human life.

111:2.7 (1218.5) 3. The relationship between material mind and divine spirit, which connotes a value and carries a meaning not found in either of the contributing factors to such an association. The reality of this unique relationship is neither material nor spiritual but morontial. It is the soul.

111:2.8 (1218.6) The midway creatures have long denominated this evolving soul of man the mid-mind in contradistinction to the lower or material mind and the higher or cosmic mind. This mid-mind is really a morontia phenomenon since it exists in the realm between the material and the spiritual. The potential of such a morontia evolution is inherent in the two universal urges of mind: the impulse of the finite mind of the creature to know God and attain the divinity of the Creator, and the impulse of the infinite mind of the Creator to know man and attain the experience of the creature.

111:2.9 (1218.7) This supernal transaction of evolving the immortal soul is made possible because the mortal mind is first personal and second is in contact with superanimal realities; it possesses a supermaterial endowment of cosmic ministry which insures the evolution of a moral nature capable of making moral decisions, thereby effecting a bona fide creative contact with the associated spiritual ministries and with the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

111:2.10 (1218. The inevitable result of such a contactual spiritualization of the human mind is the gradual birth of a soul, the joint offspring of an adjutant mind dominated by a human will that craves to know God, working in liaison with the spiritual forces of the universe which are under the overcontrol of an actual fragment of the very God of all creation—the Mystery Monitor. And thus does the material and mortal reality of the self transcend the temporal limitations of the physical-life machine and attain a new expression and a new identification in the evolving vehicle for selfhood continuity, the morontia and immortal soul.

Me here: Please note the words "inevitable" "result" and "contactual spiritualization" in 111:2.10 just above. THIS is one of the most profound and important teachings in all of the Revelation!! God designs and installs multiple contact mechanisms and presence within the human mind...from birth!! We are connected to God.

We do not have to search for, believe in, or understand this connection for its INEVITABLE RESULT! This Divine Presence and Connection delivers an awareness and response circuitry and functionality that delivers a faith experience and religious experience that does not depend upon knowledge, belief, or understanding for its function and results.

Morality and idealism and hope and assurance come to us as children, no matter how primitive our culture or time period and no matter the many superstitions which attend such a phenomenon.

I hope you understand, or at least appreciate, the implications of such a fact and truth!!

We are connected to God...always...and from our very beginning. And if we have hopes or ideals or morality or love or experience or express truth, beauty, and goodness...then that is proof positive of our religious experience and connection to God and God's Divine Affection for the children of God!!

8)

PostPosted:  

Jim says above: "We are taught by our celestial presenters that we each can realize our own version of spiritual experience, if we will allow it."

It is my own belief that "we" are each having and do "realize our own version of spiritual experience"!!! We could do better I am sure. But our "conceptual poverty" and "ideational confusion" are certainly understandable and do not prevent personal religious growth and spiritual experience. The disappointment 'shared' here in other people's progress and experience is most unfortunate. No person with a soul is not having such experience. The eternal adventure is neither a race nor a contest to compare one's experience with another's or to claim greater progress than another...any other....ever. We are all but tadpoles after all. Those with hopes and ideals and those who love others and serve others and those who pray to God and trust in God's goodness and mercy - all realize their "own version of spiritual experience".

140:3.17 (1571.4) “You are commissioned to save men, not to judge them. At the end of your earth life you will all expect mercy; therefore do I require of you during your mortal life that you show mercy to all of your brethren in the flesh. Make not the mistake of trying to pluck a mote out of your brother’s eye when there is a beam in your own eye. Having first cast the beam out of your own eye, you can the better see to cast the mote out of your brother’s eye.

Speaking of religious experience...I was reborn long ago, and before the UB found me, and surely there’s been lots of growing and progressing and considerable time spent with, perhaps, more good intentions than truly redirected motives and adjusted priorities.  But the more my motives for living and my priorities in my daily choices become spirit directed and aligned, the greater the propulsion and current as I learned to trust in one’s highest hopes and I became dedicated to my highest ideals. 

Experience delivered knowledge of the blessings of loyalty to the Father and a growing trust in his friendly universe.  It’s all been very progressive and unconscious….if also obvious in its effects and outcomes in my life. Jesus said to do good for goodness sake...there are great benefits and results or karmic repercussions for doing right just to be doing right...even at some trifle personal cost to our perceived self interest. Only the experience of so choosing and so benefitting can demonstrate such truth in life!!

Religious living, aligned by and with an adjusted and more accurate/factual reality, delivers a sublime confidence in the flow of the river of life.  There is a growing trust also in the course and the intersections of choice I am led to by the angels and my TA and the ministers of and to my adventures in time.  We learn to trust God and have more comfort with uncertainty and confusion at the intersections of choice.

I have found I am delivered to those places, people, and times where I can find opportunities to serve, and love, and learn….moments where new meanings are discovered and meanings already learned are reinforced and with new angles of perception to further expand my perspective of life and destiny.

Now, lest any feel I am braggadocious in my reflections, I assure you all I still consider myself but a tadpole, a mere child in this journey of spiritualization and growth of soul….I do not really understand this transfer of the seat of identity and am no guru of style and technique…..I only claim that when we believe the teachings of the Master and the UB, and then act on such belief with trust and faith, that such decisions and choices will change one’s motives for living, intentions in living, priorities of our choices, and our decisions at the intersections of choice….and that, over time, most definitely changes ME and my life and my perspective and my ideals and hopes. 

It does not deliver ease, fame, wealth, or make the material vicissitudes any less real or uncertain….only less difficult and less important compared to the growth in spirit and of soul.

The transition is hard to describe without sounding pompous.  But I can assure all that there is also an accompanying humility and smallness that always comes as one begins to realize how much greater is all reality and how much more truth, beauty, and goodness there is compared to that which I can recognize or grasp or realize myself. 

I have only begun, over decades of my life, this inner journey; the beginning of this endless path of progress is still in sight to me…I am such a tadpole still.  But a joyous one and a confident one.  Only my direction is certain and not the distance of my not so great progress!  But to those who knowingly embark on this road and river of faith, it is a great adventure!

6. Marks of Religious Living

100:6.1 (1100.3) Evolutionary religions and revelatory religions may differ markedly in method, but in motive there is great similarity. Religion is not a specific function of life; rather is it a mode of living. True religion is a wholehearted devotion to some reality which the religionist deems to be of supreme value to himself and for all mankind. And the outstanding characteristics of all religions are: unquestioning loyalty and wholehearted devotion to supreme values. This religious devotion to supreme values is shown in the relation of the supposedly irreligious mother to her child and in the fervent loyalty of nonreligionists to an espoused cause.

100:6.2 (1100.4) The accepted supreme value of the religionist may be base or even false, but it is nevertheless religious. A religion is genuine to just the extent that the value which is held to be supreme is truly a cosmic reality of genuine spiritual worth.

100:6.3 (1100.5) The marks of human response to the religious impulse embrace the qualities of nobility and grandeur. The sincere religionist is conscious of universe citizenship and is aware of making contact with sources of superhuman power. He is thrilled and energized with the assurance of belonging to a superior and ennobled fellowship of the sons of God. The consciousness of self-worth has become augmented by the stimulus of the quest for the highest universe objectives — supreme goals.

100:6.4 (1100.6) The self has surrendered to the intriguing drive of an all-encompassing motivation which imposes heightened self-discipline, lessens emotional conflict, and makes mortal life truly worth living. The morbid recognition of human limitations is changed to the natural consciousness of mortal shortcomings, associated with moral determination and spiritual aspiration to attain the highest universe and superuniverse goals. And this intense striving for the attainment of supermortal ideals is always characterized by increasing patience, forbearance, fortitude, and tolerance.

8)

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Speaking from our mind’s judicial bench is simply different than speaking from the altar of our heart and soul. These points of view cannot be reconciled except within the individual observer participant. Fact, idea, and relation; thing, meaning, and value; these are why it is critical to explore reality from all three. We can present the book as facts or we can present the revelation as ideas, and each reader, including you and me, must then draw their/our own conclusions as they personalize the truth value they are able to perceive.

Judicial bench? I wonder...what is our "heart"? And the altar of our heart? It appears in the text that the human heart is the same as the mortal mind...interesting. And what is the soul in relation to the human heart and mind I wonder? Does the heart of mortals survive with the soul? Is heart the feelings and motives and affections and yearns of the mind??

Key word search for "heart":

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

The midwayers consider the mortal soul to be our '"mid-mind" or morontia mind. How do the points of view of my mind, heart, and soul differentiate from one another do you think?

The TA communicates to and in our minds according to the text already posted. Personal experience takes place in mortal mind and in the soul both!

111:2.8 (1218.6) The midway creatures have long denominated this evolving soul of man the mid-mind in contradistinction to the lower or material mind and the higher or cosmic mind. This mid-mind is really a morontia phenomenon since it exists in the realm between the material and the spiritual. The potential of such a morontia evolution is inherent in the two universal urges of mind: the impulse of the finite mind of the creature to know God and attain the divinity of the Creator, and the impulse of the infinite mind of the Creator to know man and attain the experience of the creature.

Me here: I am glad that we must draw our own conclusions Jim as we each and all personalize this experience in-mind described as spiritization, circle progress, soul growth, and experiential wisdom. None of which happens without mind of course, but only happens because of mind and by mind. Meaning and value are both discovered by mind. Experience too and wisdom are both gained only by mind. As we ascend our mind becomes more educated and focused and spiritized...but, nonetheless it remains mind.

The topic of mind is a most fascinating subject for study in the UB!!

1:3.7 (26.1) In the inner experience of man, mind is joined to matter. Such material-linked minds cannot survive mortal death. The technique of survival is embraced in those adjustments of the human will and those transformations in the mortal mind whereby such a God-conscious intellect gradually becomes spirit taught and eventually spirit led. This evolution of the human mind from matter association to spirit union results in the transmutation of the potentially spirit phases of the mortal mind into the morontia realities of the immortal soul. Mortal mind subservient to matter is destined to become increasingly material and consequently to suffer eventual personality extinction; mind yielded to spirit is destined to become increasingly spiritual and ultimately to achieve oneness with the surviving and guiding divine spirit and in this way to attain survival and eternity of personality existence.

8)

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Speaking from our mind’s judicial bench is simply different than speaking from the altar of our heart and soul. These points of view cannot be reconciled except within the individual observer participant. Fact, idea, and relation; thing, meaning, and value; these are why it is critical to explore reality from all three. We can present the book as facts or we can present the revelation as ideas, and each reader, including you and me, must then draw their/our own conclusions as they personalize the truth value they are able to perceive.

How we perceive the Papers and how we present the Papers is not an either/or choice I don't think. The UB is filled with facts from front to back. Those cannot, or certainly should not, be ignored or denied. It also presents ideas, opinions, ideals, and truths. It also delivers new perspectives of universe realities to help us enhance our own. How could the Revelation be presented as anything less than the entirety of itself?

I agree, this is the great danger of presenting part and parcel or snipped and edited pieces of personal preference of the teachings rather than the whole book itself, as written and presented. Mortal subjectivity and prejudice and ignorance and immaturity all combine to distort such human editorializing by those attempts to filter or separate or segregate the teachings I think.

This is why so many students of the Revelation are so committed to the dissemination of the UB as gifted to us rather than teaching or preaching ABOUT the teachings. You spoke earlier of the difficulties of translation of language and concept. Indeed. Human interpretations and reiteration by sermon and fable only exacerbate and exaggerate that danger and only increase the distortions of reality, fact, and truth presented by the authors.

Perhaps this is why there is such value and practicality in "citing passages" and comfort in "chapter and verse"?

The UB was given as a whole Revelation. Every part of it appeals to some population of tadpoles and is critical to some aspect of reality context and perception. I think the best way to study it is deeply and seriously and for a very long time. Such scholarship should prove to be a very fruitful harvest of fact and truth, meaning and value, perspective and philosophy for one's individual religious experience and relationship with the Spirit within.

I know it has been for me. :biggrin:

All tadpoles learn in very personalized ways and there can be no singular or limited methods of How to Study the Revelation as I understand the teachings of the UB. It is as you say:

" ..... each reader, including you and me, must then draw their/our own conclusions as they personalize the truth value they are able to perceive."

Me here: We must personalize the facts, the meanings, the reality perspective, and the truths we discover and discern in the UB. That process is itself highly individualized and personalized too. We certainly agree on that!!

8)

PostPosted:  

As we consider How to Study the Revelation, perhaps it would be helpful to consider the contents and purposes OF the Revelation. We are told that "statements with reference to cosmology are never inspired"....which means I think they are accurate and dependable statements and presentations of facts. We are told this presentation of factual cosmology is limited and not complete (not false or inaccurate - but not complete and does not include new facts or information that has not already been presented or learned by the evolutionary process of the world).

101:4.5 (1109.6) Truth may be but relatively inspired, even though revelation is invariably a spiritual phenomenon. While statements with reference to cosmology are never inspired, such revelations are of immense value in that they at least transiently clarify knowledge by:

101:4.6 (1109.7) 1. The reduction of confusion by the authoritative elimination of error.

101:4.7 (1109.8) 2. The co-ordination of known or about-to-be-known facts and observations.

101:4.8 (1110.1) 3. The restoration of important bits of lost knowledge concerning epochal transactions in the distant past.

101:4.9 (1110.2) 4. The supplying of information which will fill in vital missing gaps in otherwise earned knowledge.

101:4.10 (1110.3) 5. Presenting cosmic data in such a manner as to illuminate the spiritual teachings contained in the accompanying revelation.

5. Religion Expanded by Revelation

101:5.1 (1110.4) Revelation is a technique whereby ages upon ages of time are saved in the necessary work of sorting and sifting the errors of evolution from the truths of spirit acquirement.

101:5.2 (1110.5) Science deals with facts; religion is concerned only with values. Through enlightened philosophy the mind endeavors to unite the meanings of both facts and values, thereby arriving at a concept of complete reality. Remember that science is the domain of knowledge, philosophy the realm of wisdom, and religion the sphere of the faith experience.

Me here: Obviously we should be studying to clarify our knowledge, learn the facts of universe reality and cosmology, reduce our confusions and errors of concept and perspective, regain our history and previous knowledge of world evolution and cosmology and our relationship with Deity, and gain that information provided to inspire and illuminate the spiritual teachings contained within the Revelation!!

Indeed...it does seem that scholarship of the chapter and verse of the actual text is required to gather any meaning or realize any value from such a gift.

So...let us study the Revelation... and seek meaning by that study... and discover the value found in that meaning... as has been going on around here for 16+ years!!

Bradly 8) :D :!: :idea: :wink:

PostPosted:  

As the original post and introduction to this topic speaks very little about How to Study... in favor of the importance and value of religious growth and spiritual experience... let us consider the Revelation teachings on our philosophy of living and our daily life. The UB teaches that the faith experience leads mortals to adjustments in perspective and priorities based on the outcomes of our choices.

100:6.1 (1100.3) Evolutionary religions and revelatory religions may differ markedly in method, but in motive there is great similarity. Religion is not a specific function of life; rather is it a mode of living. True religion is a wholehearted devotion to some reality which the religionist deems to be of supreme value to himself and for all mankind. And the outstanding characteristics of all religions are: unquestioning loyalty and wholehearted devotion to supreme values. This religious devotion to supreme values is shown in the relation of the supposedly irreligious mother to her child and in the fervent loyalty of nonreligionists to an espoused cause.

Me here: I think it might be important to consider how the truth seeker and religionist in pursuit of understanding and wishing to express the transformative power of the religious experience does so or may do so in the normal day to day life we all live as we pass by. The UB is very clear that no one must abandon or forsake daily life, family life, material obligations, etc.

Religious living is not an escape from material life and its demands….rather, it is or becomes an effective method and WAY OF LIVING that life. Religious living is NOT austere, severe, quixotic, isolated, mystical, or any other “technique of reality avoidance”.

Religion, personal religion should be a “mode of living”….our WAY of life itself, our daily life…our life in home and at work and in community, and as citizen, child, sibling, parent, and grandparent, etc. All that this means is that we remain loyal to God and truth, beauty, and goodness to attach our branch to God’s vine and this guiding principal guides us at every intersection of relationship, circumstance, situation, and decision. And that we do so with the understanding that we seek meanings and values in these intersections and hope to express our ideals in our decisions, knowing we have much to experience and learn, developing patience with our shortcomings, failures, disappointments while striving to get it a little better next time, and with a growing confidence and trust in God’s purpose, power, and plan and this friendly universe where love rules. And as we children of time learn to live this way, our branch will grow the fruit of the vine, and we will be blessed for our loyalty and attachment to the Devine Vine of Love.

When I first read Paper 100 so long ago (and the following dozen+), I immediately recognized it as the most practical how-to-guide ever written!!! What are the connections and the motives and the priorities and the practical steps which may be implemented and employed. How could I DO what the Master taught in the 4th Revelation? How to interpret the parables and beatitudes and apply them to my daily life…and do so without extremisms and radicalization and displacement and isolation but with effect and meaning and transcendent results? Suddenly the pearl of great price seemed ‘affordable’ and attainable to me. It all seemed so practical suddenly and clearly.

My idealism became money in the bank and results came quickly and certainly by embracing this new philosophy of living which became a mode of living. To be sure, immaturity and error and disappointment and failure did not vanish….but confidence, patience, persistence, and trust became more constant companions through all of those….which completely and profoundly changes and defangs those other things, softening their sting and relieving the anxieties that they so often bring along in our daily life. In this way, and over time, uncertainty changes in its very nature…it truly becomes the reality of adventure, the source of adventure….for there can be no adventure or anticipation without uncertainty in what comes next and what will happen when it does!

In our daily life change is the only changeless thing it seems (and we will learn, God’s love is likewise changeless – another story and lesson….)…we cannot prevent change or resist change or avoid change….to be anxious and constantly fearful about change is, by definition insane, dysfunctional, and impractical…we must learn to face change and embrace the fact, function, and reality of change. The best method to embrace change is our attachment to the vine, for by that attachment to reality and the source of reality and the flow of truth, beauty, goodness, and love then does change reflect our personal growth, maturity, wisdom, power, skill, capability, functionality, and the ability to better serve our Lord and all our fellow children in this friendly universe.

And this leads us to the secret of the universe….the more of us who embrace this mode of being and living, the more of us who serve one another, and the more wise and powerful is that service, and this experiential growth in wisdom, love, and power will eventuate sometime, but incrementally right now and every moment of time in aggregation, in the future, a better future, a better and better and then more better future….the story of the Supreme in Paper 115.

And all we must do is be loyal…loyal to God and his Spirit/Fragment within…and the prize of the eternal adventure becomes ours – right now!

“…Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality. Live loyally today — grow — and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole.”

The Tadpole Way!!!

8)

I got to thinking about the parable of the talents. As I said, being quite the student of the Jesusonian Gospel and 4th Epochal Revelation as it is recorded in the KJV in my youth, I found the UB so helpful….not only in its detail and expansion of the story and teachings of Jesus but also in the teachings about the inner light and life and spirit and mind ministries and networks that truly wire us each and all spiritually and most definitively in our dual natures. Our spiritual life is not unnatural but just the opposite, it is completely natural and even more powerful than the material nature….for those who listen, respond, and seek this reality.

I think the parable of the talents teaches us that the “return” ON our talents (as opposed to the return OF our talent to its bestower) is simply a function of our pursuit of the spirit led life. It does not require great intellect or cleverness or risk taking….it only requires loyalty and confidence – that is the vehicle of investment of our talent(s), be they many or few, large or small.

102:3.3 (1121.5) Material feelings, human emotions, lead directly to material actions, selfish acts. Religious insights, spiritual motivations, lead directly to religious actions, unselfish acts of social service and altruistic benevolence.

Me here: When our “mode of living” is determined by and defined by our religious life, insights, and motivations within, then do we automatically and directly begin to bear the fruits of the Spirit which always… “lead directly to religious actions, unselfish acts of social service and altruistic benevolence”….at home, work, community, and world!!

The parable is NOT about what to do or when or to whom or how much or how often….the parable of the talents is about a religious philosophy of living and our mode of daily living….day by day as we pass by. Reading this Paper dissolved all the mystery as what I was to do and how I was to invest my talent(s). And it absolved me from any concern as to the amount of ‘return’ I might deliver by my earnest and sincere efforts, no matter how meager or how grand. What a relief!!! I am not measured by how many souls I ‘save’ or how many good deeds I perform or the great and glorious outcomes of my service or even the wisdom I employ or success I might achieve. My return is in the hands of God….only the act and the sincerity are mine – the outcomes are God’s. I lost so much confusion and doubt and anxiety by this simple understanding….finally!

Such recognition was immediately rewarded by this truth and its personal realization over time:

100:6.5 (1100.7) But true religion is a living love, a life of service. The religionist’s detachment from much that is purely temporal and trivial never leads to social isolation, and it should not destroy the sense of humor. Genuine religion takes nothing away from human existence, but it does add new meanings to all of life; it generates new types of enthusiasm, zeal, and courage. It may even engender the spirit of the crusader, which is more than dangerous if not controlled by spiritual insight and loyal devotion to the commonplace social obligations of human loyalties.

100:6.6 (1101.1) One of the most amazing earmarks of religious living is that dynamic and sublime peace, that peace which passes all human understanding, that cosmic poise which betokens the absence of all doubt and turmoil. Such levels of spiritual stability are immune to disappointment. Such religionists are like the Apostle Paul, who said: “I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else shall be able to separate us from the love of God.”

100:6.7 (1101.2) There is a sense of security, associated with the realization of triumphing glory, resident in the consciousness of the religionist who has grasped the reality of the Supreme, and who pursues the goal of the Ultimate.

Glory Be! 8)

100:6.7 (1101.2) There is a sense of security, associated with the realization of triumphing glory, resident in the consciousness of the religionist who has grasped the reality of the Supreme, and who pursues the goal of the Ultimate.

100:6.8 (1101.3) Even evolutionary religion is all of this in loyalty and grandeur because it is a genuine experience. But revelatory religion is excellent as well as genuine. The new loyalties of enlarged spiritual vision create new levels of love and devotion, of service and fellowship; and all this enhanced social outlook produces an enlarged consciousness of the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man.

100:6.9 (1101.4) The characteristic difference between evolved and revealed religion is a new quality of divine wisdom which is added to purely experiential human wisdom. But it is experience in and with the human religions that develops the capacity for subsequent reception of increased bestowals of divine wisdom and cosmic insight.

Me here: As students of the Papers we know that revelatory revelation comes in two forms – personal and epochal – to the each and to the all (but not to the one for another or others). And we know that personal revelation has been empowered and personalized the past 2000 years by the Son’s Spirit – the Spirit of Truth. Those whose religious experience is guided by the creeds and doctrines of evolutionary/institutional religion are also influenced by personal revelation and the work of the God Fragment/TA and the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit. Our personal religious experience is multi-faceted and unique to our own mind, soul, and being….we each must traverse the 7 psychic circles in our own way and time.

One of the effects of this experience, we are told above, is an enlarged spiritual vision and an enhanced social outlook resulting in an enlarged consciousness of our parent/child relationship, a personal relationship based in love, with God and also an enlarged concept or consciousness of the brotherhood of all humanity. Anyone who claims to be religious and yet does not have such an expanded concept and consciousness may not be having a “genuine” religious experience at all. This insight and realization will and must change one’s perspective of the world in which we live and the people who live on this world…both.

If our religious experience does not change us and transform our attitude and views and our motives and priorities, then we must wonder how genuine is our experience and how sincere is our religion.

Notice there is a new “quality” of divine wisdom with revelation – both personal and epochal but perhaps especially so for epochal? Epochal revelation is given to reduce confusions and eliminate errors of evolutionary religion…and also personal revelation as limited and distorted by human experience and material mindedness.

Also it should be noted above that only experience in and with Religion In Human Experience that develops additional capacity for “subsequent reception of increased bestowals of divine wisdom and cosmic insight”. I recall we are told that a pint cannot hold a quart! But evidently a pint container can grow into a quart with time and experience and the growth of wisdom….especially when we can receive, discern, and utilize divine wisdom as it is received. This is a lesson on the progressive nature of Religion In Human Experience. There should be growth…growth of the fruits of the spirit, growth in the size of the branch, and more fruit…the pint growing into the quart and then the gallon, etc.

The Revelation is a textbook of factual knowledge of the universal realities related to our origin and destiny and our relationship with Deity as well as our evolutionary history. But it is also a map and guidebook for personal religious experience and spiritual progress, filled with practical knowledge about how to attach our branch to the vine and grow the fruits of the Spirit. It is the same for us all. And yet each tadpole's journey is a unique and personalized experience without duplicate in all the universes of time.

Or so I understand the teachings... we study here together.

Bradly 8)

Thanks to Jim for such an important topic to study! I wonder if it should rather be titled: "How to Live the Revelation"...?

PostPosted:  

In his first, introductory, post here on the topic, Jim says:

"I do not demean proper scholarship here, but we must not allow it to supersede the true method of the discovery of God. We must not ignore a most basic tenant of reality as taught in the book."

So....it is certainly true that merely reading a book, about anything at all, does not equal "experience" or progress or growth!! What then is the method(s) for "the discovery of God"?

THAT'S what the UB teaches. Which is a reiteration of the Jesusonian Gospel. Love God! Pray to God! Be thankful to God! Share yourself with God! Be still and listen to God! Worship God!

The UB teaches that the fruits of the Spirit and service to others and the expression of truth, beauty, and goodness (love) is a result of the above listed "true" methods for the "discovery of God". There really is no substitutes for actual communication and communion and relationship with God. It is both the lever and the fulcrum of power for all related religious experience and spiritual growth.... as I understand the teachings.

Actual religious experience itself comes by every decision and choice at every intersection of situation and circumstance and relationship. Experiential wisdom is gained by every reflective and reflexive choice that is motivated by altruism and idealism and hope and trust and faith and truth!

So...there is how to discover and experience God. And then there is religious experience. These are not the same. Indeed, as has been presented previously and the text clearly teaches....mortals may discover God and experience God's presence and have religious experience with but also without conscious awareness and deliberation.

However....prayer and worship are certainly deliberate!!! And those deliver a powerful connection and a more direct and open response mechanism for personal revelation and insight and intuition and the realization of truth and spiritual growth.

The Spirit Gravity Circuit, we are told, has a responsiveness that grows to the quality and mass of our soul growth and experiential wisdom.

7:1.3 (82.2) Spirit realities respond to the drawing power of the center of spiritual gravity in accordance with their qualitative value, their actual degree of spirit nature. Spirit substance (quality) is just as responsive to spirit gravity as the organized energy of physical matter (quantity) is responsive to physical gravity. Spiritual values and spirit forces are real. From the viewpoint of personality, spirit is the soul of creation; matter is the shadowy physical body.

7:1.4 (82.3) The reactions and fluctuations of spirit gravity are ever true to the content of spiritual values, the qualitative spiritual status of an individual or a world. This drawing power is instantly responsive to the inter- and intraspirit values of any universe situation or planetary condition. Every time a spiritual reality actualizes in the universes, this change necessitates the immediate and instantaneous readjustment of spirit gravity. Such a new spirit is actually a part of the Second Source and Center; and just as certainly as mortal man becomes a spiritized being, he will attain the spiritual Son, the center and source of spirit gravity.

Me here: Our connection to God and our religious experience based on faith is not dependent upon knowledge or belief. According to the UB, ignorant mortals with false beliefs can and do certainly have religious experience and soul growth.

However, the UB also teaches that a factual reality perspective and a conscious connection to the Spirit within - both - do help mortal ascenders accelerate our personal religious experience and growth, with better understanding of origin and destiny and relationship....and technique!!! False beliefs do not prevent spiritual growth. But factual perspective and beliefs with sincere intent do promote and facilitate and support spiritual growth. This is why universe reality is presented to planetary mortals by every Epochal Revelation.

So it is good to not demean scholarship here...or anywhere, ever! The facts of universe reality are always presented to us by celestials from the arrival of the Prince and Staff all the way through every mortal epoch by multiple epochal revelations. To believe or declare that fact and knowledge are unrelated to our discovery of God and our religious experience is to deny reality and the very purpose of the Most Highs and Creator Sons!! Indeed does proper scholarship of the UB help us in our discovery of God and our pursuit of religious experience.

No matter HOW we study the Revelation, its teachings are of immense value to all truth seekers and those who are keen to discover our Divine connection and to grow in the Spirit...the true methods of reality perspective and soul growth and experiential wisdom are the very core of the UB teachings!

8)

PostPosted:  

More in support of Jim's presentation on the value derived by our spiritualization and the discovery of God.

The Revelation teaches us much about experience and experiential wisdom. Every experience and expression of truth, beauty, and goodness (love) adds to our personal spiritization and growth. And also contributes to the existential realities of Deity, perfection, the absolute, and eternity.

The perfect benefits from the perfecting of the imperfect. An amazing fact and truth. Experience only occurs, can only occur, within the unrealized potential of reality. The experience and expression of truth, beauty, and goodness by freewill choices is the realization but also the actualization of potential into new and greater realities.... which also creates new and greater potentials too!

The discovery of God and experience of spiritization is the very quest of the experiential and evolutionary beings in time. It is the very purpose for evolutionary creation, the process of perfecting by freewill choices by experiential beings. We are told that this process of progress and results of evolutionary progress includes the all, the entirety of the each. Every world, system, and local universe, and super universe, and the grand universe itself is progressively perfecting by evolutionary and experiential progress.

Spiritual progress is very personal but its aggregate results are universal. Seven trillion worlds act as the birthing spheres for evolutionary and experiential mortals like us. Each world and each person born on each world and all celestials created to serve in these universes of time are the source of potential and the expression of potential...effects and causes of more effects.

Deity is the first and great cause...but the effects of this primal and original cause are a cascading and rippling creation of new and ever growing potentials for personal realization (experience) and reality actualization. The realization and actualization of potential creates new and greater potentials for further realization and actualization.

The experience and expressions of personal religion and spiritual progress are the effects of causes but also become the causes of more effects. This is the circuitry of personality and mind and spirit and love combined with freewill choices and experiential evolution in time. Within the eternal perfection of existential realities has been created this experiential engine of time which creates new realities and potentials by which the perfect and eternal gains and profits therefrom and thereby...a partnership between Creator and creation.

What an adventure!! I think Jim is urging us all to join in the adventure of discovery, expression, and experience of universe reality!!! The Tadpole Way !

8)

0:7.5 (10.10) The Father, Son, and Spirit are existential—existential in actuality (though all potentials are supposedly experiential). The Supreme and the Ultimate are wholly experiential. The Deity Absolute is experiential in actualization but existential in potentiality. The essence of Deity is eternal, but only the three original persons of Deity are unqualifiedly eternal. All other Deity personalities have an origin, but they are eternal in destiny.

0:7.6 (10.11) Having achieved existential Deity expression of himself in the Son and the Spirit, the Father is now achieving experiential expression on hitherto impersonal and unrevealed deity levels as God the Supreme, God the Ultimate, and God the Absolute; but these experiential Deities are not now fully existent; they are in process of actualization.

3:5.15 (52.1) Throughout the universe, every unit is regarded as a part of the whole. Survival of the part is dependent on co-operation with the plan and purpose of the whole, the wholehearted desire and perfect willingness to do the Father’s divine will. The only evolutionary world without error (the possibility of unwise judgment) would be a world without free intelligence. In the Havona universe there are a billion perfect worlds with their perfect inhabitants, but evolving man must be fallible if he is to be free. Free and inexperienced intelligence cannot possibly at first be uniformly wise. The possibility of mistaken judgment (evil) becomes sin only when the human will consciously endorses and knowingly embraces a deliberate immoral judgment.

3:5.16 (52.2) The full appreciation of truth, beauty, and goodness is inherent in the perfection of the divine universe. The inhabitants of the Havona worlds do not require the potential of relative value levels as a choice stimulus; such perfect beings are able to identify and choose the good in the absence of all contrastive and thought-compelling moral situations. But all such perfect beings are, in moral nature and spiritual status, what they are by virtue of the fact of existence. They have experientially earned advancement only within their inherent status. Mortal man earns even his status as an ascension candidate by his own faith and hope. Everything divine which the human mind grasps and the human soul acquires is an experiential attainment; it is a reality of personal experience and is therefore a unique possession in contrast to the inherent goodness and righteousness of the inerrant personalities of Havona.

3:5.17 (52.3) The creatures of Havona are naturally brave, but they are not courageous in the human sense. They are innately kind and considerate, but hardly altruistic in the human way. They are expectant of a pleasant future, but not hopeful in the exquisite manner of the trusting mortal of the uncertain evolutionary spheres. They have faith in the stability of the universe, but they are utter strangers to that saving faith whereby mortal man climbs from the status of an animal up to the portals of Paradise. They love the truth, but they know nothing of its soul-saving qualities. They are idealists, but they were born that way; they are wholly ignorant of the ecstasy of becoming such by exhilarating choice. They are loyal, but they have never experienced the thrill of wholehearted and intelligent devotion to duty in the face of temptation to default. They are unselfish, but they never gained such levels of experience by the magnificent conquest of a belligerent self. They enjoy pleasure, but they do not comprehend the sweetness of the pleasure escape from the pain potential.

19:2.4 (216.2) Wisdom is twofold in origin, being derived from the perfection of divine insight inherent in perfect beings and from the personal experience acquired by evolutionary creatures. The Perfectors of Wisdom are the divine wisdom of the Paradise perfection of Deity insight. Their administrative associates on Uversa, the Mighty Messengers, Those without Name and Number, and Those High in Authority, when acting together, are the universe wisdom of experience. A divine being can have perfection of divine knowledge. An evolutionary mortal can sometime attain perfection of ascendant knowledge, but neither of these beings alone exhausts the potentials of all possible wisdom. Accordingly, whenever in the conduct of the superuniverse it is desired to achieve the maximum of administrative wisdom, these perfectors of the wisdom of divine insight are always associated with those ascendant personalities who have come up to the high responsibilities of superuniverse authority through the experiential tribulations of evolutionary progression.

19:2.5 (216.3) The Perfectors of Wisdom will always require this complement of experiential wisdom for the completion of their administrative sagacity. But it has been postulated that a high and hitherto unattained level of wisdom may possibly be achieved by the Paradise finaliters after they are sometime inducted into the seventh stage of spirit existence. If this inference is correct, then would such perfected beings of evolutionary ascent undoubtedly become the most effective universe administrators ever to be known in all creation. I believe that such is the high destiny of finaliters.

PostPosted:  

So...life to the religionist and true believer is an adventure!! Pure adventure. The Tadpole Way is exhilarating for the children of God who have a child like faith and trust in God and who embrace the paternal affection and Divine Assurance and know of the friendly universe. Fear fades and anxieties are replaced by a confidence in ultimate outcomes and destinies.

One of the most interesting aspects of adventure is UNCERTAINTY!!

There is simply no reason to fear or be anxious about the unknown or unknowable when one embraces universe reality and the nature of God and the destiny and surety of the faith child's relationship to Deity and Reality!!

Religious experience should result in this personal confidence and the elimination of fear and anxiety from all uncertainties. There can be no adventure without uncertainty of outcomes. Experiential wisdom is based on both failure and success, and it grows according to our ability to learn and adjust our motives and intentions, but then and more specifically our strategies and tactics and timing. Our ability to serve others has a quality component that is measured by our personal wisdom. Wisdom is not endowed to mortals but is earned by our experience.

The UB teaches that by the time we get to Paradise only our motives will be purified and mature and wise and perfected. But our technique? Hahaha...even eternity is needed to perfect our wisdom. We are and will always be experiential beings.

There is nothing we can do in this life or the next which results in ultimacy or finality of our religious experience or expression. The entire universes of time and of Paradise itself is an endless quest for knowledge and understanding and wisdom and skill!

How to Study is certainly something for us each and all to learn how to excel at....for we will be studying for a long, long time, This text book of universe reality we call The URANTIA Book was given to us for such study...in depth scholarship and the quest for knowing the contents and understanding the meanings within the Papers is certainly the least we can do as sincere religionists and tadpoles!

Epochal Revelation is given to our world to increase our knowledge of universe reality and to adjust our perspective of universe reality and to modify our philosophy of living according to that improved perspective of universe reality.

8)

PostPosted:  

Jim says above: "As the book says, we don't know the difference between that which has value and that which is value. The book has value; our growing soul is value. Only personal spiritual experience can reveal the spiritual reality of that to us."

What the UB teaches is that we can know the difference...and must know the difference. And we can and do certainly appreciate value if we know truth. I think all people experience faith and truth in our/their religious lives. Isn't truth the link between meaning and value?? Isn't meaning the link between knowledge and understanding? Can one know the value of the Revelation without an understanding of its meaning? And how can we understand the meaning until we have knowledge of its teachings/contents??

Hmmmm..... :wink: :idea: :?: :!: 8)

What the text actually says:

100:3.3 (1096.8) In the contemplation of values you must distinguish between that which is value and that which has value. You must recognize the relation between pleasurable activities and their meaningful integration and enhanced realization on ever progressively higher and higher levels of human experience.

100:3.4 (1097.1) Meaning is something which experience adds to value; it is the appreciative consciousness of values. An isolated and purely selfish pleasure may connote a virtual devaluation of meanings, a meaningless enjoyment bordering on relative evil. Values are experiential when realities are meaningful and mentally associated, when such relationships are recognized and appreciated by mind.

100:3.5 (1097.2) Values can never be static; reality signifies change, growth. Change without growth, expansion of meaning and exaltation of value, is valueless—is potential evil. The greater the quality of cosmic adaptation, the more of meaning any experience possesses. Values are not conceptual illusions; they are real, but always they depend on the fact of relationships. Values are always both actual and potential—not what was, but what is and is to be.

100:3.6 (1097.3) The association of actuals and potentials equals growth, the experiential realization of values. But growth is not mere progress. Progress is always meaningful, but it is relatively valueless without growth. The supreme value of human life consists in growth of values, progress in meanings, and realization of the cosmic interrelatedness of both of these experiences. And such an experience is the equivalent of God-consciousness. Such a mortal, while not supernatural, is truly becoming superhuman; an immortal soul is evolving.

100:3.7 (1097.4) Man cannot cause growth, but he can supply favorable conditions. Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual. Love thus grows; it cannot be created, manufactured, or purchased; it must grow. Evolution is a cosmic technique of growth. Social growth cannot be secured by legislation, and moral growth is not had by improved administration. Man may manufacture a machine, but its real value must be derived from human culture and personal appreciation. Man’s sole contribution to growth is the mobilization of the total powers of his personality—living faith.

Me here: It is also important, according to the teachings of the Revelation, to understand the value and importance of mind related to BOTH meanings and value!! Our connection to the Spirit within and the Spirit Circuit is by the mechanism of mind. Nothing religious or spiritual growth can be accomplished without mind or personality or spirit....that is, according to the UB we study here...to abandon one is to lose all three. The mortal soul is the repository of all spiritized values. The mortal's progress through the 7 psychic circles is the very result of such values and realized meanings experienced by the Tadpole!

9:4.5 (102.5) Cosmic force responds to mind even as cosmic mind responds to spirit. Spirit is divine purpose, and spirit mind is divine purpose in action. Energy is thing, mind is meaning, spirit is value. Even in time and space, mind establishes those relative relationships between energy and spirit which are suggestive of mutual kinship in eternity.

9:4.6 (102.6) Mind transmutes the values of spirit into the meanings of intellect; volition has power to bring the meanings of mind to fruit in both the material and spiritual domains. The Paradise ascent involves a relative and differential growth in spirit, mind, and energy. The personality is the unifier of these components of experiential individuality.

8)

(1211.1) 110:6.16 Perhaps these psychic circles of mortal progression would be better denominated cosmic levels — actual meaning grasps and value realizations of progressive approach to the morontia consciousness of initial relationship of the evolutionary soul with the emerging Supreme Being. And it is this very relationship that makes it forever impossible fully to explain the significance of the cosmic circles to the material mind. These circle attainments are only relatively related to God-consciousness. A seventh or sixth circler can be almost as truly God-knowing — sonship conscious — as a second or first circler, but such lower circle beings are far less conscious of experiential relation to the Supreme Being, universe citizenship. The attainment of these cosmic circles will become a part of the ascenders’ experience on the mansion worlds if they fail of such achievement before natural death.

(1217.6) 111:2.2 The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster threads the spirit patterns of a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings — a surviving soul of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter.

(1218.1) 111:2.3 The human personality is identified with mind and spirit held together in functional relationship by life in a material body. This functioning relationship of such mind and spirit does not result in some combination of the qualities or attributes of mind and spirit but rather in an entirely new, original, and unique universe value of potentially eternal endurance, the soul.

(1218.2) 111:2.4 There are three and not two factors in the evolutionary creation of such an immortal soul. These three antecedents of the morontia human soul are:

(1218.3) 111:2.5 1. The human mind and all cosmic influences antecedent thereto and impinging thereon.

(1218.4) 111:2.6 2. The divine spirit indwelling this human mind and all potentials inherent in such a fragment of absolute spirituality together with all associated spiritual influences and factors in human life.

(1218.5) 111:2.7 3. The relationship between material mind and divine spirit, which connotes a value and carries a meaning not found in either of the contributing factors to such an association. The reality of this unique relationship is neither material nor spiritual but morontial. It is the soul.

(1219.4) 111:3.5 The mortal career, the soul’s evolution, is not so much a probation as an education. Faith in the survival of supreme values is the core of religion; genuine religious experience consists in the union of supreme values and cosmic meanings as a realization of universal reality.

(1219.5) 111:3.6 Mind knows quantity, reality, meanings. But quality — values — is felt. That which feels is the mutual creation of mind, which knows, and the associated spirit, which reality-izes.

(1219.6) 111:3.7 In so far as man’s evolving morontia soul becomes permeated by truth, beauty, and goodness as the value-realization of God-consciousness, such a resultant being becomes indestructible. If there is no survival of eternal values in the evolving soul of man, then mortal existence is without meaning, and life itself is a tragic illusion. But it is forever true: What you begin in time you will assuredly finish in eternity — if it is worth finishing.

Last edited by fanofVan on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:18 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Bradly...it is really getting old to see you picking this essay apart, day after day. All by yourself. In the rules, we are asked not to challenge the essay as to content.

This latest "discrepancy" is really a stretch, in my opinion. Please stop parsing every word like this. It is an ESSAY, for heavens sake.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Bradly...it is really getting old to see you picking this essay apart, day after day. All by yourself. In the rules, we are asked not to challenge the essay as to content.

This latest "discrepancy" is really a stretch, in my opinion. Please stop parsing every word like this. It is an ESSAY, for heavens sake.

As you wish.....