Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Here's the final script for test-driving in Chicago later this month:

Video 4D (part 1) Ancient Orvonton (Oct 13 2019, 5.5 MB)
Video 4D (part 2) Issues Arising (Oct 13 2019, 5.2 MB)

The first part steps through a very literal rendering of Orvonton, the grand universe, and how the Milky Way fits in. The second shows how cosmologists came to assume a Big Bang, and presents the Urantia Book's alternative. Together, these two scripts form the 7th and final part of my attempted video introduction to the Urantia Book.

If anyone can think of things to add or remove, please let me know :idea:

with thanks!
Nigel

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

maybe some mention of cyclic models preferred by einstein and others but didnt meet the scientific/mortal timebound mind frame that insists everything must have a beginning and an end? not critical to the points you're making though....just a bit of the history that interests me.

i've only read the second paper on the big bang nigel...it's really good but appears to be missing some content in the last couple of pages in the file uploaded though...

PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
maybe some mention of cyclic models preferred by einstein and others but didnt meet the scientific/mortal timebound mind frame that insists everything must have a beginning and an end? not critical to the points you're making though....just a bit of the history that interests me.

i've only read the second paper on the big bang nigel... it's really good but appears to be missing some content in the last couple of pages in the file uploaded though...

Thanks Makalu -- good idea about pointing to exisiting cyclic models. Original version had 20 minutes on work by Penrose, Steinhardt & Turok, etc. Current script is what's left after trying to squeeze 5-hour original into 45 mins :?

Regarding "missing content" from those last few pages, over the next two weeks I'll be working on ways to wrap up the presentation. This version is for non-expert UB students, gathered for a general discussion of scientific issues provoked by the Urantia Book. Next version will be for a general YouTube audience, which will serve as springboard into the technical model underlying current handwaving.

For a more general UB audience, the first part may be of interest. This is my attempt to show that a literal rendering of some UB ideas can hang together quite well :shock:

Nigel

PostPosted:  

Latest versions:

Video 4D (part 1) Ancient Orvonton (Oct 20 2019, 5.5 MB)
Video 4D (part 2) Issues Arising (Oct 20 2019, 5.2 MB)

Here's a link to a folder with the original animated PowerPoints, if anyone wants to step through the movie :D

Nigel

PostPosted:  

Hi Nigel,

That's nicely put together. The interesting observation and visualization of the sort-of teardrop shaped area of each superuniverse heading towards Paradise is something I've pondered too. There would seem to be not just a circular force exhibited by Paradise gravity but some type of linear one also. But the revelators don't describe that, do they?

We do see many examples in the sky of very elongated galaxies. Is that only because we view them from an angle or are there galaxies which are known to be elongated rather than circular? Any departure from a circular revolution would demand some force to pull very, very hard from a fixed point in space (ie., Paradise or some other gigantic force in the Outer Space zones).

I can't subscribe to the idea that there are 9 other galaxies of similar size to The Milky Way galaxy that comprise Orvonton. The primary reason is that we see none of them and the revelators tell us:

Quote:
15:3.4 (167.20) Of the ten major divisions of Orvonton, eight have been roughly identified by Urantian astronomers. The other two are difficult of separate recognition because you are obliged to view these phenomena from the inside. If you could look upon the superuniverse of Orvonton from a position far-distant in space, you would immediately recognize the ten major sectors of the seventh galaxy.

So that essentially means that The Milky Way must be very much extended and elongated apparently than currently believed.

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
I can't subscribe to the idea that there are 9 other galaxies of similar size to The Milky Way galaxy that comprise Orvonton. The primary reason is that we see none of them and the revelators tell us:

Quote:
15:3.4 (167.20) Of the ten major divisions of Orvonton, eight have been roughly identified by Urantian astronomers. The other two are difficult of separate recognition because you are obliged to view these phenomena from the inside. If you could look upon the superuniverse of Orvonton from a position far-distant in space, you would immediately recognize the ten major sectors of the seventh galaxy.

So that essentially means that The Milky Way must be very much extended and elongated apparently than currently believed.

Hi Riktare -- thanks for those comments!

As you'll see in the animated version, once we allow for the possibility that the seven superuniverse "spokes" of the grand universe "wheel" (15:0.1) all lie in the same plane, and that their component major sector spirals (which we "would immediately recognize", 15:3.4) are likewise co-planar, then allow for Orvonton (not the Milky Way) to be "very much extended and elongated" ("length far greater than the breadth", 15:3.2), and then add the fact that these seven superuniverse "spokes" are acted upon by tidal forces mediated by Paradise-Havona, then... (referrring to slides 51-52 of Part A), once those spiral sectors are tilted 90 degrees, and dropped down into the plane of the Milky Way, how would astronomers detect such "vanishingly faint echos" lurking directly behind the "dense diameter of the [foreground] Milky Way" (32:2.11) ?

This ESO movie gives an idea of the problem astronomers face. That video zooms into a region 5.7 degrees below that "dense diameter". What if they were to zoom not 5.7 degrees BELOW, but right INTO the midplane? I try to make this issue clear in the animated version.

Of course (as you rightly point out) the glitch in my speculation is their statement: "eight have been roughly identified" (15:3.4). However, given that they also state that many of their "statements regarding the physical sciences" (101:4.2) will in fact "stand in need of revision", can I ask you to try a thought experiment?

Try leaving out that one statement ("eight have been roughly identified"), and take a fresh look.

As you know, most other (classical, spacetime) alternatives fare much worse :biggrin:

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Nigel

PostPosted:  

Some spontaneous thoughts are occurring: The "Dark Gravity Bodies" that encircle Havona might have a powerful effect on the superuniverses and might account for an elongation, pulling all nearby matter towards them.

Another effect might be the procession of pervaded space from Paradise which might very well make our reckoning of long distances invalid, along with our view of astronomical geometry. But it hardly seems likely that we could develop a suitable concept of how a geometry of space respiration works and how that might affect our perceptions of distance and directions.

To go along with your suggestion that there might be a strict plane that all 7 superuniverses lie on, we are told that:

Quote:
11:8.9 (126.5) Paradise is the absolute source and the eternal focal point of all energy-matter in the universe of universes. The Unqualified Absolute is the revealer, regulator, and repository of that which has Paradise as its source and origin. The universal presence of the Unqualified Absolute seems to be equivalent to the concept of a potential infinity of gravity extension, an elastic tension of Paradise presence. This concept aids us in grasping the fact that everything is drawn inward towards Paradise. The illustration is crude but nonetheless helpful. It also explains why gravity always acts preferentially in the plane perpendicular to the mass, a phenomenon indicative of the differential dimensions of Paradise and the surrounding creations.

On the other hand, such a plane might be equally as "ragged" as the periphery of The Grand Universe. Nearby visible galaxies that seem to lie on a plane, such as the "Council of Giants" occupy only very approximately a plane, don't you agree? Most seem to lie within, say, 10 million light years of a super-galactic plane. Still, it may be an important observation.

PostPosted:  

Here's the (much-adjusted!) script presented in Chicago on November 2:

Part 4D (A): Orvonton (part 1 of 2, Nov 1, 2019)
Part 4D (B): Issues (part 2 of 2, Nov 1, 2019)

As before, the first part ("Orvonton") steps through a very literal rendering of Orvonton, the grand universe, and how the Milky Way might fit in.

The second part ("Issues") shows how cosmologists came to assume a Big Bang, and presents the Urantia Book's alternative.

To get a feel for how the script goes, here's a rough video that steps through the slides: Test drive (Nov 2)

Sadly, that video mostly shows the narrator trying to flip through 120 pages of script, rather than the animated visuals; but it does give an idea of the ideas.

Before starting to record this as the missing final video in that series, I'd really appreciate if anyone can point out things which are wrong, inconsistent, could be expressed better, or should be left out.

thanks!
Nigel