Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Social Media Revolution
PostPosted:  

If you enjoyed the video called "Did You Know?" you'll really like this one. It is all about the world-wide revolution in communication, otherwise known as "social networking." What might this mean for the Revelation?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

You are right...love this one too. :D Interesting about Facebook...fastest growing user based information news source...also largest body of information on web that Google cannot search! Web 2.0 is here....news is now brought to us by individual users from around the world. More information...more detail....more diversity. The only thing I have read so far that might be a negative impact is the increased ability for people to be swayed into extreme points of view....don't know if that is true or not...time will tell I guess.

Newspapers will have to find a way to sell add space and subscriptions online....or they will fade. We lost one of our major papers here not too long back because of the internet. Our remaining paper is in serious financial trouble...time to evolve.
Say hello to the user media news generation....I know I always check posts on a hotel before I decide to stay there...I guess I do trust them more than just adverstising....I guess I am changing a bit with the times too. :D I guess I will have to make a facebook page and join the 4th largest country and growing :shock: :D Really hard to believe that so many people are getting married after meeting online....keyboard chemistry? Hard for me to get...but if it works...it works. :D

Blessings

PostPosted:  

I met my husband on the Internet. We celebrated 10 years of marital bliss last August. Really. We are remarkably compatible. There is a lot to be said about meeting a person's mind before checking out their body.

PostPosted:  

That is so cool....do you think that this form of connection will improve overall compatibility of couples? I think it might even have a positive impact on divorce rates. Sometimes I can be so silly....my daughter laughed several times during our talk about this subject...she says her cavemom just needs more exposure :P She reminded me of the strong friendship feelings I get from getting to know people online...I can see how that would translate. Now I am starting to wonder if this new way of connecting with a larger population...thus getting a chance at the more compatible relationship....is part of a bigger workings...a better way.

PostPosted:  

Do I think that this form of connection will improve overall compatibility of couples? Only the couple itself determine compatibility. But this FORM of connection can definitely help focus the two people on what their overriding compatibility levels might be to start with!

For instance, I met Angus on TML (the Teaching Mission List) when I first got my computer in 1998. As I observed everybody inter-acting, I observed him as well, of course, and I liked what I heard him say. I enjoyed his writings, his humor, his frame of reference, and I liked that other people liked him. Then, when I started to interact with the subscribers, he was able to observe me and occasionally he would compliment my words or laugh at my humor and this was endearing. We began to pay closer attention and to interact between ourselves on-line, such that a friend posted me to inform me the whole list was noticing he and I "had something going" -- even before *I* knew it. Before long he contacted me in a private post and the "getting to know you" process began. We did our entire courtship on-line, bascially interviewing each other with literally hundreds of questions and answers, hours on end, into the wee hours of the morning telling our stories, revealing our secrets, sharing our dreams. By the time we met in person we were already head over heels in love.

Had we met in person first, it is unlikely we would have looked twice at each other. We were not each others "type". But because we met on a site where physical chemistry was not a major factor, we were able to focus on what will endure after the fickleness of sex attraction passes. The fact that the TML list is a sub-culture of the Urantia Book, in itself gave rise to a huge degree of compatibility that we would not have found if we had simply met on a blind date. I suspect a relationship could spark and flourish on Truthbook or UBRON, as well but I, for one, would not want to have a marital relationship with someone who was not a Urantia book reader, as it is the basis of my beliefs and it endures as my primary spiritual frame of reference.

Mortal compatibility is personal, of course. I would not trust an internet dating service to find me a love companion. But with those two things (UB and TM) providing a socio-spiritual framework, we basically knew where each other was coming from, and we had nowhere to go but UP. I am sure the same thing would be true if two people met on a discussion list for Lutherans who Love Llamas. It's still the people who make the relationship, and their personal compatibility levels are what makes it work, but if their fundamental interests are compatible, then personality compatibility has a better chance.

So yes, I do think we are witnessing (experiencing) a social media revolution of "cosmic" proportions. Some people meet and fall in love from half way across the world! Angus and I had only 350 miles separating us to bridge, a six hour drive. Either way, it makes the world a smaller place ... with companionship available with the click of a button.

PostPosted:  

Interesting, but not as cool as the first one.

Most of my peers continue to see social networking as a oddity. They are lost in the trees, and unable to see the forest undergoing a fundemental shift... Almost like summer to fall, or winter to spring.

Our children will live in a different world.

Better? Yes and no. But different.

PostPosted:  

Social networks and the need to communicate are universal human conditions. A general assumption is that communication technologies help to increase and strengthen social ties.
The Internet provides many social networking opportunities. But how do social networking sites affect individual relationships
Do people use social networking sites to expand their personal networks, to find people who have had similar experiences, to discuss a common hobby, for the potential of offline dating