Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:59 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: A new view of prayer
PostPosted:  

I gave up praying to the Christian god years ago as none of my prayers were ever answered -- including of course prayers for other people.

Within 24 hours of rediscovering UB I have a sense of being part of the whole universe. I just have to shut my eyes to feel this. "Thy will not mine be done." Yes indeed. I learned in my early days of seeking truth that God will give me what I need, but not necessarily what I want.

I now pray to the universal God: "You know what I want, but I accept that you will give me what I need." The two things I want are very clear -- someone to pay out my substantial debt so that I don't have to sell my lovely home and downsize, and a female partner. But I will graciously accept what I am given. There is a particular female in mind, a young Ethiopian woman who twice failed to gain entry to Australia because of inexperience, poor judgment and bad luck. She is currently in New Zealand and does not email me.

Perhaps I need to downsize because I have become too attached to my material possessions. Perhaps I am not meant to have a female partner. Perhaps it will be someone I have not yet met.

So I just close my eyes knowing that God will give me what I need which will not necessarily be what I want.

I invite anyone who wishes, to make this same prayer on my behalf.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: A new view of prayer
PostPosted:  

I have no advice to offer you, but I will pray for you, young Melchizedek, that you gain knowledge of God's will for you and the power to carry that out, whatever it might be. Keep it simple.

PostPosted:  

We are all human none better than the other so i'm not preaching to you. Understand?
By your praying you are opening yourself to Source which then helps YOU find the better path (so to say). We all end up at our destination. Some arrive quicker than others because they found a path that took them there quicker. ok, so what.. This physical world creates many paths that can make us lost for a while but that is also the adventure else everything would be boring. Do you agree? We all learn EXACTLY what we need to learn and what we need to learn is not always what we are wanting because our wants are usually momentary and man-ipulated by this material experience.

Quote:
Do not try to satisfy the curiosity or gratify all the latent adventure surging within the soul in one short life in the flesh. Be patient! be not tempted to indulge in a lawless plunge into cheap and sordid adventure. Harness your energies and bridle your passions; be calm while you await the majestic unfolding of an endless career of progressive adventure and thrilling discovery.

-Godspeed.

PostPosted:  

ahamby wrote:
This physical world creates many paths that can make us lost for a while but that is also the adventure else everything would be boring. Do you agree?

I will comment on that part first. After an email exchange over a period of several months, a beautiful and intelligent young Ethiopian woman arrived at Sydney Airport on August 24, 2008, for the purpose of becoming my wife. Apparently she did not expect to be interrogated by customs and became flustered, failing to give a plausible reason for being here. She was deported. There was a second failed attempt with a false British passport and subsequently the girl travelled from Ethiopia to New Zealand with a female member of the New Zealand embassy in Addis Ababa. A lot has happened since then, but it now appears I will never meet this girl.

Far from making my life boring, having such a delectable female partner would have assuredly made my life exhilarating. Instead, my life has actually been quite dreary over these past two years. I am baffled as to why this relationship was scuttled. I have learned nothing of value that I can think of, and the girl has gotten herself into trouble in New Zealand, so I am told, for fraudulent business practices. Hopefully the girl has learned that "The love of money is the root of all evil," but I have learned nothing.
ahamby wrote:
We all learn EXACTLY what we need to learn and what we need to learn is not always what we are wanting because our wants are usually momentary and man-ipulated by this material experience.

There was nothing momentary about this. It was carefully planned and was to last a lifetime, including giving me the opportunity to father a child if I am still physiologically able.
Quote:
Do not try to satisfy the curiosity or gratify all the latent adventure surging within the soul in one short life in the flesh. Be patient! be not tempted to indulge in a lawless plunge into cheap and sordid adventure. Harness your energies and bridle your passions; be calm while you await the majestic unfolding of an endless career of progressive adventure and thrilling discovery.

There was no "lawless plunge into cheap and sordid adventure." My life is running out (I am 69 and not in good health) and I have been cheated (by fate or karma or whatever you believe in) out of what would have undoubtedly been the best relationship of my life with the possible bonus of experiencing fatherhood.

I don't know why this has happened to me (or rather failed to happen). I have not learned anything.

PostPosted:  

Interesting story.

"After an email exchange over a period of several months, a beautiful and intelligent young Ethiopian woman arrived at Sydney Airport on August 24, 2008, for the purpose of becoming my wife. Apparently she did not expect to be interrogated by customs and became flustered, failing to give a plausible reason for being here. She was deported."

To marry you was not a plausible reason? Where were you? Were you not there to meet her? Did you not notify anybody in advance at customs that you were expecting your bride?

"There was a second failed attempt with a false British passport and subsequently the girl travelled from Ethiopia to New Zealand with a female member of the New Zealand embassy in Addis Ababa. "

Attempting to get through with a false British passport was not smart move. Surely she was not advised to do that by a female member of the new Zealand embassy.

I suspect she was looking for a way to marry a man in another country thereby effecting her liberation from her roots and becoming a citizen of your country, something that the officials perhaps frowned upon. Engaging in Matrimony in order to secure citizenship is illegal, isn't it? Maybe New Zealand didn't want any Ethiopians infiltrating their country.

But what makes you think that you, a 69 year old man who is not in good health, could ever keep up with "a beautiful and intelligent young Ethiopian woman"? You don't have children by a prior liaison, I assume. It's kinda late to start a family at your age. At some point women's eggs go bad, such that they ought not reproduce after a certain age lest they produce children with Down's syndrome. I wonder: what does old sperm produce?

Maybe God did you a favor!

PostPosted:  

Gerdean wrote:
Interesting story.

Quote:
"After an email exchange over a period of several months, a beautiful and intelligent young Ethiopian woman arrived at Sydney Airport on August 24, 2008, for the purpose of becoming my wife. Apparently she did not expect to be interrogated by customs and became flustered, failing to give a plausible reason for being here. She was deported."

To marry you was not a plausible reason? Where were you? Were you not there to meet her? Did you not notify anybody in advance at customs that you were expecting your bride?

Please do not attempt to fill in details of the story that I have not mentioned. This was the girl's first trip overseas. She had a valid visa and the $10,000 BTA (Basic Travel Allowance) required by Australian Immigration for a person entering Australia on a visitor's visa. So she did not expect to be questioned as to her reason for being here and, as I said, became flustered and failed to give a plausible reason.

I was not there to meet her as she did not give me her ETA or flight number. Australian Customs are so strict that they have spawned a popular TV series "Border Patrol." I am told that the customs officers can be very intimidating.

I later asked her (by email) to describe the conversation at customs. It went like this:
"What is your reason for coming to Australia?"
"To look."
"To look at what?"
"I don't know."
"Do you have a phone number so that we can check your story?"
"No, I only have an email address."
So they booted her out. I think if she had just given a straight answer she would have been all right. She should have said: I have come to spend a holiday with my friend Julian. Here is his phone number." I think that would have done the trick.
Quote:
"There was a second failed attempt with a false British passport and subsequently the girl travelled from Ethiopia to New Zealand with a female member of the New Zealand embassy in Addis Ababa. "

Gerdean wrote:
Attempting to get through with a false British passport was not smart move. Surely she was not advised to do that by a female member of the new Zealand embassy.

Once again you fill in the details without knowing the story. It is very complex and I am not about to relate it here. The British passport was authenticated as genuine by the relevant authorities in Britain. She failed to enter Australia a second time because the person who made the passport had used the same name as on the Ethiopian passport. She believes he did this deliberately because she refused to marry him.
Gerdean wrote:
Interesting story.
I suspect she was looking for a way to marry a man in another country thereby effecting her liberation from her roots and becoming a citizen of your country, something that the officials perhaps frowned upon.

As I have said, she did not give any plausible answer because she was flustered. Because she is a strikingly attractive girl, my guess would be that they thought she had come here to practice prostition.
Gerdean wrote:
Engaging in Matrimony in order to secure citizenship is illegal, isn't it?

No it is not illegal.
Gerdean wrote:
Maybe New Zealand didn't want any Ethiopians infiltrating their country.

On the contrary she travelled to NZ with a New Zealand woman. There is an Ethiopian community in New Zealand. She has been in New Zealand for about 18 months or more.
Gerdean wrote:

But what makes you think that you, a 69 year old man who is not in good health, could ever keep up with "a beautiful and intelligent young Ethiopian woman"?

On the contrary it would have invigorated me. She was very explicit in emails as to what she wished to do in the bedroom. She was saving her virginity for me as this is a big issue in Ethiopian culture. So she had no previous experience with which to compare me.

Perhaps I should add that my libido has been so strong that it has ruled my life. I am grateful that it has subsided somewhat.
Gerdean wrote:
You don't have children by a prior liaison, I assume. It's kinda late to start a family at your age. At some point women's eggs go bad, such that they ought not reproduce after a certain age lest they produce children with Down's syndrome. I wonder: what does old sperm produce?

You should know that some men are capable of producing healthy children at the age of 85. I am a relative youngster.
Gerdean wrote:
Maybe God did you a favor!

I don't believe so. Now will you please get off my case because I have just suffered heavy abuse from the one Indian (former Hindu) member of a Christian website because I said favorable things about essential Hinduism and also referred to Kundalini.

I might as well show you the girl. You can see that, as she failed to give a sensible reason for being here, it might be guessed that she had come here for the purpose of prostitution. By the way she has a university education, speaks five languages, plays musical instruments and so forth. A very clever girl but lacking in practical common sense.

Last edited by Melchizedek on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Sorry.

I'm off.

PostPosted:  

Gerdean wrote:
Sorry.

I'm off.

That's OK. It is a very complex story and I have given you only the bare bones.

Meanwhile I have addressed the Indian at meetchristians in the following manner. I will not give you the content of the extremely offensive remarks he made to me, because it would quite likely cause you to throw up, or go and kill a few Indian Christians. :badgrin:

Congratulations Devaprakash on making a spectacle of yourself and showing a complete lack of understanding of kundalini. The peculiar "head dress" on statues of the Buddha actually represents the Thousand Petalled Lotus, or Crown Chakra, indicating that kundalini is fully awakened and made connection with the universal consciousness.

There are several clear references to kundalini in the Bible, but I won't go into that here.

PostPosted:  

You are right.

His will be done, not ours.
I've learn that too.

I begin to understand too,that we do not have that omniscience perspective to give a perfect judgment of ourselves and others;not even my own future needs.

My prayer for you.

Our father which is in heaven, holy be thy name,thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven,
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive our sins as we forgive those who sins against us
Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil
Thou art the kingdom, the power and glory forever,
Amen.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Mel -- we've heard a lot about your personal life now. Please keep your posts focused on your thoughts and interpretations of what you're learning from reading The Urantia Book. We all have our stories to tell and personal baggage -- they're better aired elsewhere. Neither are we interested in deriding other websites or other religious groups.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Mel -- we've heard a lot about your personal life now. Please keep your posts focused on your thoughts and interpretations of what you're learning from reading The Urantia Book. We all have our stories to tell and personal baggage -- they're better aired elsewhere. Neither are we interested in deriding other websites or other religious groups.

Best wishes,
Larry

OK, I can take a hint. I will not be doing any serious reading of UB at this time because I have other priorities. I consider my time is more usefully spent trying to sow a seed or two in the stubborn minds of Christians in online discussions.

Additionally I will be working on my various websites which have been dysfunctional for more than 18 months, but which are now accessible again. I consider the following website: http://thirdworldorphans.org to be especially important as I receive emails at the rate of one or two a week from people who have discovered the website and ask for support in one way or another. Sometimes I will post a story about an orphanage on the website, but often people are just asking for prayers for their work.

PostPosted:  

Mel, I am sorry for my post. I did not intend to be disrespectful. I usually don't do well in forums because of the limited.. psychology of texting.. (lol i hope that makes sense). I do 'open mouth and insert foot' on many occasions. I am always learning and need to control feelings. Thank you! You reminded me.

PostPosted:  

ahamby wrote:
Mel, I am sorry for my post. I did not intend to be disrespectful. I usually don't do well in forums because of the limited.. psychology of texting.. (lol i hope that makes sense). I do 'open mouth and insert foot' on many occasions. I am always learning and need to control feelings. Thank you! You reminded me.

Foot in mouth disease -- tell me just one person who does not succumb to this at some time or other. Thank you for your apology but it was quite unnecessary.

PostPosted:  

(I posted earlier, but I must have done something wrong.. i hope this doesn't appear twice)

Mel, again i'm sorry but I can't help myself and feel the need to simply say that we all have met here in this post for purpose. I have, and will continue praying. The information you have openly given here is very helpful to prayer as i'm sure it is for others. I should have ask you then for more before i began ignorantly proffering.

Godspeed and love!

PostPosted:  

Here is what the UB says...

(999.5) 91:6.2 Prayer is not a technique for curing real and organic diseases, but it has contributed enormously to the enjoyment of abundant health and to the cure of numerous mental, emotional, and nervous ailments. And even in actual bacterial disease, prayer has many times added to the efficacy of other remedial procedures. Prayer has turned many an irritable and complaining invalid into a paragon of patience and made him an inspiration to all other human sufferers.

(999. 91:6.5 Do not be so slothful as to ask God to solve your difficulties, but never hesitate to ask him for wisdom and spiritual strength to guide and sustain you while you yourself resolutely and courageously attack the problems at hand.

(1002.5) 91:8.13 Prayer is not a technique of escape from conflict but rather a stimulus to growth in the very face of conflict. Pray only for values, not things; for growth, not for gratification.