Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:44 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How can I Serve
PostPosted:  

I was just wondering what it means about God wanting us to serve him.. I understand that just our willingness to do His Divine Will is a start, but how can I take this to the next level, by loving all men as in the brotherhood of mankind.. Or is there something else I am supposed to be doing, i really want to be on the right track and serve in the right, most effective way. Please, any ideas would be wonderful. Thank you!

A fellow Urantian :)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: How can I Serve
PostPosted:  

All He wants of you is you to "become". To become your potential. To seek His will as your own in your own life should result in you becoming more aware, more capable, more consistant, more effective, more happy, just more of you loving Him and your fellows. All else will come. Peace.

PostPosted:  

All who become reborn in the Spirit and come to hear the voices of our TA and Spirit of Truth gifts, face this question. What of me Lord? What am I to do? What would You have me do? The noblest of aspirations, eh? There are many threads discussing this issue for review. Some of us become quite evangelistic in our enthusiasm - seeking to either reduce fear and suffering in others or to uplift them with the truth we have come to know. These become missionaries or evangelists....for a time.

But the fact is that TUB teaches that the whole is uplifted by the progress of each in the Spirit. And further, that God will put us where He wants us or bring to us that and those who most need our ministry. He does so every day. If we are aware enough to discern this reality. Believers are to become like the flower - attracting the seeking bee and butterfly with fragrance and beauty. God will send the bees and butterflies....fear not. When the student is ready, the teacher appears. When the teacher is ready, the students arrive. When the believer is ready, ministry opportunities abound and do so without "mission" and "purpose". Our mission is to become God's tool, not to determine the tool's work.

Such a believer lives calmly, confidently, sublimely, with poise and good humor in full faith of their life in the Kingdom and the certainty of God's will to come. What we do is less important than what we become in love and through faith in Him.

(22.3) 1:0.6 This is the true meaning of that divine command, “Be you perfect, even as I am perfect,” which ever urges mortal man onward and beckons him inward in that long and fascinating struggle for the attainment of higher and higher levels of spiritual values and true universe meanings. This sublime search for the God of universes is the supreme adventure of the inhabitants of all the worlds of time and space.

(1096.6) 100:3.1 Religion is not a technique for attaining a static and blissful peace of mind; it is an impulse for organizing the soul for dynamic service. It is the enlistment of the totality of selfhood in the loyal service of loving God and serving man. Religion pays any price essential to the attainment of the supreme goal, the eternal prize. There is a consecrated completeness in religious loyalty which is superbly sublime. And these loyalties are socially effective and spiritually progressive.

(1100.5) 100:6.3 The marks of human response to the religious impulse embrace the qualities of nobility and grandeur. The sincere religionist is conscious of universe citizenship and is aware of making contact with sources of superhuman power. He is thrilled and energized with the assurance of belonging to a superior and ennobled fellowship of the sons of God. The consciousness of self-worth has become augmented by the stimulus of the quest for the highest universe objectives — supreme goals.

(1100.6) 100:6.4 The self has surrendered to the intriguing drive of an all-encompassing motivation which imposes heightened self-discipline, lessens emotional conflict, and makes mortal life truly worth living. The morbid recognition of human limitations is changed to the natural consciousness of mortal shortcomings, associated with moral determination and spiritual aspiration to attain the highest universe and superuniverse goals. And this intense striving for the attainment of supermortal ideals is always characterized by increasing patience, forbearance, fortitude, and tolerance.

(1100.7) 100:6.5 But true religion is a living love, a life of service. The religionist’s detachment from much that is purely temporal and trivial never leads to social isolation, and it should not destroy the sense of humor. Genuine religion takes nothing away from human existence, but it does add new meanings to all of life; it generates new types of enthusiasm, zeal, and courage. It may even engender the spirit of the crusader, which is more than dangerous if not controlled by spiritual insight and loyal devotion to the commonplace social obligations of human loyalties.

(1101.1) 100:6.6 One of the most amazing earmarks of religious living is that dynamic and sublime peace, that peace which passes all human understanding, that cosmic poise which betokens the absence of all doubt and turmoil. Such levels of spiritual stability are immune to disappointment. Such religionists are like the Apostle Paul, who said: “I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else shall be able to separate us from the love of God.”

(1101.2) 100:6.7 There is a sense of security, associated with the realization of triumphing glory, resident in the consciousness of the religionist who has grasped the reality of the Supreme, and who pursues the goal of the Ultimate.

(1123.2) 102:4.2 What is human experience? It is simply any interplay between an active and questioning self and any other active and external reality. The mass of experience is determined by depth of concept plus totality of recognition of the reality of the external. The motion of experience equals the force of expectant imagination plus the keenness of the sensory discovery of the external qualities of contacted reality. The fact of experience is found in self-consciousness plus other-existences — other-thingness, other-mindness, and other-spiritness.

(1123.3) 102:4.3 Man very early becomes conscious that he is not alone in the world or the universe. There develops a natural spontaneous self-consciousness of other-mindness in the environment of selfhood. Faith translates this natural experience into religion, the recognition of God as the reality — source, nature, and destiny — of other-mindness. But such a knowledge of God is ever and always a reality of personal experience. If God were not a personality, he could not become a living part of the real religious experience of a human personality.

(1124.5) 102:6.3 The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation, something more than a reality, a value, a level of achievement, an exalted process, a transmutation, the ultimate of time-space, an idealization, the personalization of energy, the entity of gravity, a human projection, the idealization of self, nature’s upthrust, the inclination to goodness, the forward impulse of evolution, or a sublime hypothesis. The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization.

(1124.6) 102:6.4 Faith transforms the philosophic God of probability into the saving God of certainty in the personal religious experience. Skepticism may challenge the theories of theology, but confidence in the dependability of personal experience affirms the truth of that belief which has grown into faith.

Where's that tadpole Boomshuka? Peace.

PostPosted:  

Hey Van!. Yea service really is one of the most exciting parts of life and the u.b though isn't it, I like your quotes. I am just headed out the door so I will finish my thoughts after work, but here some quotes I will throw out.

Quote:
(2084.4) 195:10.4 “The kingdom of God is within you” was probably the greatest pronouncement Jesus ever made, next to the declaration that his Father is a living and loving spirit.

(2084.5) 195:10.5 In winning souls for the Master, it is not the first mile of compulsion, duty, or convention that will transform man and his world, but rather the second mile of free service and liberty-loving devotion that betokens the Jesusonian reaching forth to grasp his brother in love and sweep him on under spiritual guidance toward the higher and divine goal of mortal existence. Christianity even now willingly goes the first mile, but mankind languishes and stumbles along in moral darkness because there are so few genuine second-milers — so few professed followers of Jesus who really live and love as he taught his disciples to live and love and serve.

I think for me the question is what does it mean to "live and love and serve" as Jesus taught, I am aware of what the bible says about this but what does the u.b?. What does it mean to be a second-miler? Am I a second miler? Anyways I will finish this post after I am back from work. :)

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

(1094.6) 100:1.4 .......... Live loyally today — grow — and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole.

(1094.7) 100:1.5 The soil essential for religious growth presupposes a progressive life of self-realization, the co-ordination of natural propensities, the exercise of curiosity and the enjoyment of reasonable adventure, the experiencing of feelings of satisfaction, the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness, the wonder-lure, and a normal consciousness of smallness, humility. Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism — conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

(1095.6) 100:2.2 Spiritual growth is first an awakening to needs, next a discernment of meanings, and then a discovery of values. The evidence of true spiritual development consists in the exhibition of a human personality motivated by love, activated by unselfish ministry, and dominated by the wholehearted worship of the perfection ideals of divinity. And this entire experience constitutes the reality of religion as contrasted with mere theological beliefs.

(1095.7) 100:2.3 Religion can progress to that level of experience whereon it becomes an enlightened and wise technique of spiritual reaction to the universe. Such a glorified religion can function on three levels of human personality: the intellectual, the morontial, and the spiritual; upon the mind, in the evolving soul, and with the indwelling spirit.

(1096.1) 100:2.4 Spirituality becomes at once the indicator of one’s nearness to God and the measure of one’s usefulness to fellow beings. Spirituality enhances the ability to discover beauty in things, recognize truth in meanings, and discover goodness in values. Spiritual development is determined by capacity therefor and is directly proportional to the elimination of the selfish qualities of love.

(1096.4) 100:2.7 Jesus portrayed the profound surety of the God-knowing mortal when he said: “To a God-knowing kingdom believer, what does it matter if all things earthly crash?” Temporal securities are vulnerable, but spiritual sureties are impregnable. When the flood tides of human adversity, selfishness, cruelty, hate, malice, and jealousy beat about the mortal soul, you may rest in the assurance that there is one inner bastion, the citadel of the spirit, which is absolutely unassailable; at least this is true of every human being who has dedicated the keeping of his soul to the indwelling spirit of the eternal God.

(1096.5) 100:2.8 After such spiritual attainment, whether secured by gradual growth or specific crisis, there occurs a new orientation of personality as well as the development of a new standard of values. Such spirit-born individuals are so remotivated in life that they can calmly stand by while their fondest ambitions perish and their keenest hopes crash; they positively know that such catastrophes are but the redirecting cataclysms which wreck one’s temporal creations preliminary to the rearing of the more noble and enduring realities of a new and more sublime level of universe attainment.

8)

PostPosted:  

I will just sort of continue on with my ideas about what it means to be a "2nd miler". So many times in the Urantia book they talk about these 3 levels. The logical level, the moral level and the spiritual level. I think its important for readers (myself included) to see sort of where they fit on this scale and to be honest with themselves. These last 3 levels of meaning are really high and it is said in the urantia book that few human beings are at these last levels and that in order to experience these cosmic levels we must be born of the holy spirit, we must have a spiritual birth. (Anyways I highlighted the highest 3 levels of meaning that Jesus mentioned).

Quote:
147:4:3 Let me now teach you concerning the differing levels of meaning attached to the interpretation of this rule of living, this admonition to ‘do to others that which you desire others to do to you’:

(1650.5) 147:4.4 “1. The level of the flesh.
(1650.6) 147:4.5 “2. The level of the feelings.
(1650.7) 147:4.6 “3. The level of mind.
(1651.1) 147:4.7 “4. The level of brotherly love. "logical level" 1st cosmic intuition (Causation)(192.2)
(1651.2) 147:4.8 “5. The moral level. 2nd cosmic intuition (Duty) (192.3)
(1651.3) 147:4.9 “6. The spiritual level. 3rd cosmic intuition (Worship) (192.4)

Quote:
(192.5) 16:6.9 These scientific, moral, and spiritual insights, these cosmic responses, are innate in the cosmic mind, which endows all will creatures. The experience of living never fails to develop these three cosmic intuitions; they are constitutive in the self-consciousness of reflective thinking. But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking.

Once we are sort of honest with ourselves, and see that like most humans we are not quite there yet in terms of having developed these cosmic intuitions/ we just are not yet 2nd milers we can begin to go back into the urantia book and find out exactly how we do develop these levels of thinking and become 2nd milers. I will probably save that for another post though :).

Here is another quote from jesus that illustrates these levels of meaning.

Quote:
1675.4) 149:6.3 “The ‘fear of the Lord’ has had different meanings in the successive ages, coming up from fear, through anguish and dread, to awe and reverence. And now from reverence I would lead you up, through recognition, realization, and appreciation, to love. When man recognizes only the works of God, he is led to fear the Supreme; but when man begins to understand and experience the personality and character of the living God, he is led increasingly to love such a good and perfect, universal and eternal Father. And it is just this changing of the relation of man to God that constitutes the mission of the Son of Man on earth.

Fear being on no level of meaning we start at, "anguish and dread", than it goes "awe and reverence" "recognition", "realization", "appreciation", "love". We can see how "realization" is related to Logic "appreciation to morality" and "love to spirituality". Ie. it would seem that it is an upward and inward journey towards being able to experience Love. Love is wayyyy up there in meaning. Way more than most humans can even imagine. What we call love is not even close to what the u.b calls love.

IMO once we get an idea of human beings, selfhood, mind, spirit, personality etc as it is revealed in this great revelation we can have our own auto-revelations of these realities as a result of expecting them and forming a relationship to them from the revelation. I think for most of us we are just trying to get to that "2nd miler" status, or be one of those "few mortals" who are using these intuitions.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

This Is but a few things the UB Says About LOVE

56:10.20 To finite man truth, beauty, and goodness embrace the full revelation of divinity reality. As this love-comprehension of Deity finds spiritual expression in the lives of God-knowing mortals, there are yielded the fruits of divinity: intellectual peace, social progress, moral satisfaction, spiritual joy, and cosmic wisdom. The advanced mortals on a world in the seventh stage of light and life have learned that love is the greatest thing in the universe — and they know that God is love.

56:10.21 Love is the desire to do good to others.

84:0.1 MATERIAL necessity founded marriage, sex hunger embellished it, religion sanctioned and exalted it, the state demanded and regulated it, while in later times evolving love is beginning to justify and glorify marriage as the ancestor and creator of civilization’s most useful and sublime institution, the home. And home building should be the center and essence of all educational effort.

84:1.6 A family of some simple sort was insured by the fact that the reproductive function entails the mother-child relationship. Mother love is instinctive; it did not originate in the mores as did marriage. All mammalian mother love is the inherent endowment of the adjutant mind-spirits of the local universe and is in strength and devotion always directly proportional to the length of the helpless infancy of the species.

84:1.7 The mother and child relation is natural, strong, and instinctive, and one which, therefore, constrained primitive women to submit to many strange conditions and to endure untold hardships. This compelling mother love is the handicapping emotion which has always placed woman at such a tremendous disadvantage in all her struggles with man. Even at that, maternal instinct in the human species is not overpowering; it may be thwarted by ambition, selfishness, and religious conviction.

100:4.6 You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor’s motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man.

102:6.3 The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation, something more than a reality, a value, a level of achievement, an exalted process, a transmutation, the ultimate of time-space, an idealization, the personalization of energy, the entity of gravity, a human projection, the idealization of self, nature’s upthrust, the inclination to goodness, the forward impulse of evolution, or a sublime hypothesis. The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization.

117:6.10 All true love is from God, and man receives the divine affection as he himself bestows this love upon his fellows. Love is dynamic. It can never be captured; it is alive, free, thrilling, and always moving. Man can never take the love of the Father and imprison it within his heart. The Father’s love can become real to mortal man only by passing through that man’s personality as he in turn bestows this love upon his fellows. The great circuit of love is from the Father, through sons to brothers, and hence to the Supreme. The love of the Father appears in the mortal personality by the ministry of the indwelling Adjuster. Such a God-knowing son reveals this love to his universe brethren, and this fraternal affection is the essence of the love of the Supreme.

142:1.4 3. Love is the rule of living within the kingdom — supreme devotion to God while loving your neighbor as yourself.

143:1.4 I have come into this world to do the will of my Father and to reveal his loving character to all mankind. That, my brethren, is my mission. And this one thing I will do, regardless of the misunderstanding of my teachings by Jews or gentiles of this day or of another generation. But you should not overlook the fact that even divine love has its severe disciplines. A father’s love for his son oftentimes impels the father to restrain the unwise acts of his thoughtless offspring. The child does not always comprehend the wise and loving motives of the father’s restraining discipline. But I declare to you that my Father in Paradise does rule a universe of universes by the compelling power of his love. Love is the greatest of all spirit realities. Truth is a liberating revelation, but love is the supreme relationship. And no matter what blunders your fellow men make in their world management of today, in an age to come the gospel which I declare to you will rule this very world. The ultimate goal of human progress is the reverent recognition of the fatherhood of God and the loving materialization of the brotherhood of man.

PostPosted:  

Corinthians 13:4-7
Amplified Bible (AMP)

4 Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

6 It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

7 Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

PostPosted:  

Nice quotes Coop no doubt, love is the way. I think that once we are born of the holy spirit we can discover god in our hearts/self-hood threw the adjuster and that discovery can lead to actual bona-fide love :). Something I am working towards and I think I speak for most readers :).

Quote:
117:6.10 All true love is from God, and man receives the divine affection as he himself bestows this love upon his fellows. Love is dynamic. It can never be captured; it is alive, free, thrilling, and always moving. Man can never take the love of the Father and imprison it within his heart. The Father’s love can become real to mortal man only by passing through that man’s personality as he in turn bestows this love upon his fellows. The great circuit of love is from the Father, through sons to brothers, and hence to the Supreme. The love of the Father appears in the mortal personality by the ministry of the indwelling Adjuster. Such a God-knowing son reveals this love to his universe brethren, and this fraternal affection is the essence of the love of the Supreme.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Hi Tressa

I would like to suggest that you find what strengths you have in life, and see how they can be used to help other, learn to develop new skills, get an education in a field you believe in and a degree that you can see will help pave a road in a direction where you heart is telling you, you can make the biggest change in the world.

I would like to state that An education will be of great service to you as you attempt to help do Gods work in this world, so many have great ideas but are so limited because their education. it is true that a degree will open doors that good intentions fail.

To be a spiritual warrior you must train, and and develop skill that make you a better servant to Gods Will.

Learning to master ones self is a big part of that journey, and over coming our short-coming as a challenge to be faced.

Learn to hone the skill of Unconditional Love, be of service to other with out any expectation for any thing in return, as well as the expectation that they whom you are being kind to will even receive it. in the U.B. is a quote i love,,,The Work is Ours, But the Results are Gods,

Blessings to you Tressa, and all ways Stay True To The Journey

PostPosted:  

sonshipobtainer wrote:
Or is there something else I am supposed to be doing

Remember the revelation you receive from God will not last, will not become a part of your soul unless you choose to apply it in the field of human interaction.

PostPosted:  

Safe travels to the mansion worlds sonshipobtainer. Wish I could have gotten to know you better.

loveofrightdoing