Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:12 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Church or University
Poll ended at Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 pm +0000
Church 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
University 100%  100%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Slyde
PostPosted:  

Well I can't say whether or not they talk to the green people. They do offer a special "tour" that you need to be "ready" for, this sparks my imagination. I have contacted them they have all my info and I have their packet they send out to interested parties. Haven't read it I've been reading up on school's curriculum to try and build one for UU. I don't think its valuable for UU for you to research it right now they are just not necessary right now. Now this does not include you personally, my advice is, if you are interested in it even curios, why not, at the least you will see how other people live, that was one of Jesus's favorite past times. I advise you to know going in that many people join closed societies and don't come back, so if for personal reasons you decide to see how far the rabbit hole goes make sure you can come back if you want to. NO DRINKING OF KOOLAID its not your time buddy. All jokes aside they are just people and with a strong grounding in reality you can make it though anything. If you get a push from the SofT that they are telling truth then let us know we would love to know whats it all about.

But in all truth you don't need them to find TB&G you have it with-in you already. GOD is not far away in fact he is with-in you it's not necessary that you know the UB to find GOD much less what they have to offer. So take your time. I say stay around a wile and help the millions of other people that have not even got the UB, in the garden there you really only help yourself and the people in there.

Trust when I say we need you out here.

NAB

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Today's update is an idea of how to organize the "work for education" concept we have been discussing.

Well it could be like this.

Three forms of "workers"

1 student workers
A these students work in terms of a semester or less on a given Job, depending on their major.
B this work will be integrated into every major, its part of a "total" education idea
C depending on performance in class and other factors, like test scores, students will have the chance to get promoted in there fields
C this Job "list" will have positions ranging from janitor to asst to the Dean( details of this will be worked out soon)

2 Governing workers
A these workers supervise the students in there assigned jobs
B train them and consult them in the work
C this group will be hired or volunteer

3 Admin and teaching staff and tutors
A this group will be hired or volunteer (save the tutors)
B this group is the all in all authority of the school and its grounds
C tutors are students. Older students that excel in a given class will have a chance to bypass the Student Worker jobs in exchange for tutoring new students in their classes

This is just an idea, BIG part small, issue right now. But, What do you think. Could something like this work?

Remember you must experience GOD and though work and hardship you earn character.

With Love,
NAB

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

In the Jural Colony Project, the education colonies are dedicated to academics. The study courses are brief and intensive. Elder students teach the younger students. The instructors (student teachers) serve part time; the balance of their time, they serve in established service fields such as mediation/arbitration or philosophy. Hands-on experience can be gotten by both students and student teachers through living and working on the farms or in animal husbandry or in industry, or in established service fields, such as Logistics, Communications, Trade, Rehabilitation, Human Associations, etc.

In this way, everybody is a worker and everybody is a student. The business of learning is not hampered by having to make a living. Nobody is "the boss" -- which teaches Teamwork and social harmony.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

no google hits for "Jural Colony Project", where can I learn more about how it works

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Read my book. :wink:

Otherwise, just keep talking. I'm happy to participate with what I have to offer. In this way, you benefit from 20 years of considerable research, prayerful meditation and experiential wisdom -- not to mention divine inspiration.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

:shock: I am floored hold on let me get back up.....ok

you are full of surprises. read your book, and where do I BUY it? Just kidding I will keep talking and Work with what you offer you have been great so far and I thank you.

I like the idea, the problem comes in when you teach something like Quantum Physics, some thing advanced like that. I think there needs to be a constant "base" at the school to effectivly teach higher levels of study. I don't like the pay factor either but to minimize it and hybrid the two concepts(student/teacher and teacher&students) would give us a best of both worlds senario. I have some reservations tho because last time a hybrid accured eden fell and you know the story. I will work harder to seek higher guidence and find resulution here.

As it stands now the staff would consit of almost half and half still making it a Jural concept with a conventional structure. I need to dig deeper before I completly let go of the conventional wisdom. How do you keep order? I meen 2000 17-21 year olds need structure and guidence how is this done? What a brain teaser I love this stuff.

NAB

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Where did you find "2000 17-21 year olds"? Methinks you are entertaining grandiose ideas. I don't mind grand ideas, but grandiose ideas are a stumbling block. If we do well what is set before us, we will be given greater opportunities and responsibilities later. Like your reference to Quantum Physics -- lets worry about learning to read and write first.

Build your idea from the ground up, from elementary school, even from kindergarten ... maybe even day care (although the latter two are really more about child rearing or socialization and belong to another category than "education").

Let's back up. What is your idea of "conventional wisdom" regarding education? Like you, perhaps, I became disenchanted with the educational system in my college days (and for me that was over 40 years ago). Recently, I've been reading and editing books on the contemporary education system and how it is utterly failing to keep up with the demands of our fast-moving society and the needs of the future.
Quote:
P.1772 - §4 The more complex civilization becomes, the more difficult will become the art of living. The more rapid the changes in social usage, the more complicated will become the task of character development. Every ten generations mankind must learn anew the art of living if progress is to continue. And if man becomes so ingenious that he more rapidly adds to the complexities of society, the art of living will need to be remastered in less time, perhaps every single generation. If the evolution of the art of living fails to keep pace with the technique of existence, humanity will quickly revert to the simple urge of living--the attainment of the satisfaction of present desires. Thus will humanity remain immature; society will fail in growing up to full maturity.

Our educational system was modeled after a system that came out of Prussia which was designed to create good little soldiers, those who would be obedient to authority. It worked for quite a while, but recently we are seeing that it has stifled creativity, except for cookie cutter exercises and it stifled the intellect by stressing the need to remember things we will soon forget, including outmoded social mores and traditions, and stressing the need to get high scores so as to allow the school to continue to receive funding. This is not education as education is defined in the Urantia Papers.
Quote:
P.192 - §7 It is the purpose of education to develop and sharpen these innate endowments of the human mind; of civilization to express them; of life experience to realize them; of religion to ennoble them; and of personality to unify them.

Quote:
P.806 - §1 The enduring state is founded on culture, dominated by ideals, and motivated by service. The purpose of education should be acquirement of skill, pursuit of wisdom, realization of selfhood, and attainment of spiritual values.

gospel of their respective messages of eternal salvation.[/quote]
Quote:
P.2086 - §3 Even secular education could help in this great spiritual renaissance if it would pay more attention to the work of teaching youth how to engage in life planning and character progression. The purpose of all education should be to foster and further the supreme purpose of life, the development of a majestic and well-balanced personality. There is great need for the teaching of moral discipline in the place of so much self-gratification. Upon such a foundation religion may contribute its spiritual incentive to the enlargement and enrichment of mortal life, even to the security and enhancement of life eternal.
(Emphasis added)

There are others, but these are sufficient to indicate that we are correct to dedicate some unflagging attention to the topic of education, to aspire to modify our institutions of learning to accommodate the needs of young people (and old people, as well; there is no need to stop learning just because we get older, and there is no better way to remember what we learned than by teaching others!) whose minds are open and eager and able to meet their highest potentials, so as to carry the torch of progress forward into light and life.

Post subject: todays update
PostPosted:  

I agree with the UB. Mastering the ideas that Gerdean given and the example in the book, has been Fun. The details involved with creating a vision of UU have been difficult. My reactions are that the system I wrote can instill the principals and even be modified to include a constant Student/Teacher base. A real perspective is that no school of such progressive "stance" could afford to disregard higher knowledge in its study. At the age of 17-21 or the college level students would have the chance to make a difference in the world today, this does not count out the importance younger education. Moving toward another angle, the UB teaches many times that when uplifting a people you bring them into you and send them out to uplift in their "lands". Here I can see that there needs to be a method of including the rest of the world in our approach to this system of teaching.

I can see where these concepts would have no connection, but I think they do. To mold this we should consider that volunteers are the workforce. There needs to be a bed of qualified applicants to fill the responsibilities. Even self thought professors are viable candidates; or Students that have mastered enough to teach Higher Study, while studying even greater knowledge. This occurs now; master degree candidates teach lower level classes to complete their degrees. In this we see that principal being acknowledged. Also you can find professors doing studies in university labs and making many different important discoveries that progress health and other issues. This all is important to uplift society as a whole, the idea behind "bring in, send out". Not all students can stay to teach and not all the study can leave you unprepared for the dark world you face outside. True that much information to be taught today won't be used or will just be forgotten but we can curb the Curriculum to streamline study for effectiveness vs. cramming useless info, this is controlled, also the student/tutor helps with insuring the information "sticks" with students especially the best. Study/work will though experience instill responsibility, service, it will give students a chance to work out the dynamics for working together and creating a society based on the UB they live, do jobs, fail with no consequence but more work, problem solving, patience and a whole host of other qualities you must experience. It’s like not going to school and going at the same time. Students can fill any position going up the latter from student to school president considering they are qualified.

So by making this a latter you can have students grow into positions of higher authority over time. Now if they are all volunteers then the system would not fail it just would be "free". I guess to make it all true take out hired and put in volunteer. Now we build, so you have 15 people that are in, no one has the knowledge to teach quantum Physics so they have to learn. Ok you need the info so you join an online school and all of you study together or you just seek the information and study it together. Over time you learn all this and teach it to other people that join in latter and eventually you have a university. To me the start is to slow and not rational because the time and effort required doing all this we are talking about with 15 people who don't know what they are talking about will take time, allot. The concepts and world would have changed by the time they get around to teaching what they've learned. We need an influx of knowledge to jump start progress and not to mention a tool in which to eliminate bad teaching and old "news".

So a structure is necessary to grow all these good principals and keep the progress of the students even student/teachers moving. The structure I presented works fine. in detail it can speak to expanding tutoring like good students tutor and good tutors teach( give them an extra level sort of speak) This creates a way to constantly Change out the teaching staff every year, volunteers and students can gain priority over hired teachers and in time will wash them out. This is great for instilling lasting learning. After teaching and studying you can continue your service and learning by staying on as a volunteer in the higher Admin and Teachers, learning even greater lessons doing what we are doing today but on a scale we can even begin to imagine. Or you take your degree and your 4, 6 or 8 years or service and experience and go out among the wolves. Because not everyone wants to be the president of the school and they need to have something taught to them that they can use outside we need teachers for that.

Unless we can figure out the curriculum based on the Quote about the Planetary Prince School and The Edenic School and group of as many volunteers as we need paid teachers today and just hit the books and hard till we have enough "starting linesmen" to teach everything we need to. I am willing to join this, we can even get 12 volunteers and fit that only 12 teachers are needed into the curriculum. This is an approach. Hard and long but I bet it would be a great experience.

On the issue of age to start from the middle and move down and up we can progress the range of the school's grasp it is harder to start from down and go up or way up and go down. College is mid ground the greater part of your effective knowledge out side of childcare. Also if you put to much UB in to young, life hurts and you may lose people like Christianity lost me this needs to be thought first at an age of awareness like 17-21. Where studied professors can discover better ways of teaching to younger and older generations.

See how this can work now? I can its quite grand and progressive constantly progressive. Everyone teaches and/or learns service, the way for an all volunteer workforce is there and higher learning is taught.

As always mark it up and add your views, thanks all

With Love,
NAB

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings!

We are getting quite invested in this conversation, this concept of new ways and means of education. It's only natural, since we learn through the UB that the entire universe is one vast school and so, of course, why should we not begin now to acclimate ourselves and adapt our existing paradigms in ways that would possibly be approved On High.
Quote:
P.412 - §2 This training of mind and education of spirit is carried on from the worlds of human origin up through the system mansion worlds and the other spheres of progress associated with Jerusem, on the seventy socializing realms attached to Edentia, and on the four hundred and ninety spheres of spirit progress encircling Salvington. On the universe headquarters itself are numerous Melchizedek schools, the colleges of the Universe Sons, the seraphic universities, and the schools of the Teacher Sons and the Union of Days. Every possible provision is made to qualify the various personalities of the universe for advancing service and improving function. The entire universe is one vast school.

There's really too much in your recent post for me to respond to in one post. There are several points, each of which could be broken down into further discussion. One of them you made is to change out the teaching staff every year. I remember from my college days that academia tends to become a secure "ivory tower" from which few want to come down. They will play all sorts of games, in fact, to preserve the status quo (to get tenure for financial and social security) even thought they may be bored stiff with teaching and even downright hostile to the student body.

"Changing out" the teaching staff allows the teachers to experience other learning opportunities. "Professional teachers" ought not be permitted any more than "professional students" who, rather than face the task of working in "the real world," prefer to stay insulated in academia. I am reminded of "professional politicians" who live in their own bubble of reality, who become so removed from the real world they forget what a loaf of bread costs. When "leaders" have become so far removed from the people they "lead," (as when teachers have become so far removed from the people they teach), it is no longer effective. There need to be "term limits" on these undertakings so as to not become overspecialized.

The same is true for scientists or, frankly, any field of application. Just as the UB suggests
Quote:
P.1616 - §5 Worship--contemplation of the spiritual--must alternate with service, contact with material reality. Work should alternate with play; religion should be balanced by humor. Profound philosophy should be relieved by rhythmic poetry. The strain of living--the time tension of personality--should be relaxed by the restfulness of worship. The feelings of insecurity arising from the fear of personality isolation in the universe should be antidoted by the faith contemplation of the Father and by the attempted realization of the Supreme. (emphasis added)

As far as what teachers are "paid" -- I have an entirely different approach to economics than what exists today (as I have already indicated). The idea of SERVICE CREDITS is more to my liking. Not wanting to involve my ideals with the current economic paradigm, any ideas we might want to bounce around regarding compensation or remuneration would be like comparing apples with oranges.

I would not base education on a study of the UB, although the study of the UB would be as essential as the study of all the other major religious influences on our world so that we have a working knowledge of and respect for what other people believe. As such, students and teachers should be encouraged to worship as they find comfortable and subscribe to the doctrines they see fit, but to comport themselves in such a way as to allow the Fruits of the Spirit to prevail.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

So far there are some great ideas bouncing around, and it seems like this University could become a real possibility. However, there are some problems that need to be solved if this is to become a reality.

The first issue is potentially the greatest hindrance to the founding of the school: Money. Universities cost money to maintain, not to mention state and federal taxes (can they impose taxes on land-grant universities?). We have to determine ways to recieve funds for the building of the school, or buying unused property. Although our ideal is a true service based economy, the reality is that the University will most likely be founded in our Capitalistic society, and as such we will by necessity need to play by the rules of the current economic system.

Second, there is the issue of hiring qualified professors and teachers. This is especially important for accredidation. If we could rely completely on volunteers that would be fantastic, but I don't think very many professors would have the drive to leave their well-paying jobs at other colleges to volunteer at a university whose main platform of study is the Urantia Book, a massive tome that has not recieved widespread public attention. Even if we were to fill our staff with well qualified students of the Urantia Papers, the families of those students/teachers would not be able to make ends meet. While we could provide the necessities of life for them, such as food, water, and possibly even university housing, there would be absolutely no way for them to enjoy the pleasures of life.

Third, the issue of accreditation. We definitely need to find out the rules of accreditation on both a state and federal level.

Finally, there is tuition, scholarships, room and board, etc. Obviously we would keep tuition fees just high enough to pay the staff and other miscellaneous costs. But what of scholarships? Who qualifies and under what subjects? Do we take only the best and brightest, the underprivileged, or those who excel at certain fields? Do we allow room and board free of charge to certain students and charge those who can afford it?

I hate to be a bubble-burster here, but I would really like to see this happen, and I think if we are serious we have to consider all these things and more if we are to complete this project. Who knows, if all goes well, we could have the University up and running, and accepting students in 15 years give or take.

~Chris

PostPosted:  

Chris I got you buddy see: "furthering development" at the bottom

These questions came via email

Quote:
I wonder where you acquired an idea of an “age of awareness that occurs at age 17-21”. Awareness of what? First moral choosing and receipt of a Thought Adjuster happens around age 5 in normal “minded” individuals. When you think of teaching Quantum Physics you are eliminating perhaps more than 98% of the population from your educational program. I expect a much higher percentage will integrate their personality without physics. What type of human being is your goal?

The age of 17-21 is a current figure. The awareness builds on the facts that at this age you are, in today's standards, able to dictate your own life. The awareness is that you are now a full grown adult and you live in this world with no rules, you can do what ever you wish and deal with whatever consequence follows your actions. Also many of life's tragedies have happened to you, you are not unaware of what is going on around you and in the world you would know who the president is, what he/she does and if you like him/her or not. This is an interesting age to bring the current populous to light.

Higher education like Quantum Physics is important in expanding ones mental range. Especially when you teach it. Its so hard, that if you master in your own way how to do it you could figure any thing out. its a tool.
Now its not necessary for Adjuster Fusion, if that is what you meant by integrate personality. But if you mean socially, your right too I know of many a good, important, influential people with no degrees in higher learning. The point is to give them that training and knowledge, to use their minds to work out difficult issues and at the same time understand where the rest of the world is. I expect that students and teachers will find many new "discoveries" in every subject with a view of what the UB reveals.

The human I am trying to create is ready. and I mean ready, this person has GOD, all current human knowledge, experience in a work force environment, Understands defeat and victory and is ready to uplift humanity from within.

See if you teach for 5-6-7 years you learn how to do this, teach. You have a great base of experience in which to draw courage, esteem, and genius. The UB says the genius does come from the common mind but one must learn how to access this "genius". If you spend 4-6-8 years or more working, studying, and teaching you will on many occasions access your "genius" abilities automatically, you simply need to be told you are doing it to realize it, and turn it on an off, many books teach us this. After a decade long spiritual, mental and physical "boot camp" you can brake all old mores and be fit to create new ones, you simply have the courage, esteem and genius to face anything anyone can throw at you. And not because of who you know or who your teachers where but because you worked your tail off in UU's system to be great. If you don't be great you will be cleaning floors for 4-6-8 years and we would produce the best dang Janitors this world would ever see. See by training the students to be ready they are in a position to out maneuver the other emerging world leaders and take control, and with the teachings of the UB in the hands of the Highest authorities (be it public or private) the world will have a better chance.

That's the gist of it I want to answer more questions.

Quote:
I wonder if your posts illustrate more of how we may continue to default rather than to uplift our fellows. Current educational systems collect students to inculcate them with beliefs about knowledge of facts or theories and send them out to breed more of the same. So, since the method you advise is already in use, could it be a project of deprogramming is needed and might have more purpose?

Yes schools of today do this and its an issue here with this plan also, the control comes in the content of our teaching not the plan. To bring in, instill beliefs and send out is all over the UB. It is how Jesus taught thousands he taught 12 apostles privately and then sent them out to teach the masses, if you remember Jesus did not teach the masses as much as you would think, much teaching was to the apostles, and they taught the rest of the world. So I see it hard to brake that aspect of the plan, but the content of our teaching is important. We can ill afford to teach error there must be great study on how to teach each class to insure that the right and true messages are being instilled. Also the other factors like teaching/work would do great to instill TB&G into the students before we send them off.
The hardest part is the reeducation, that is why I think it should be taught in the first year. There is a whole host of problems with integrating the UB into the curriculum, but one solution is to have the first year be all general studies classes and the UB. You read and teach and study the UB the first year your there, Since there is no lower "grade" for you to teach an tutor the time could be spent reading and teaching each other the UB, this gives you a great start to your education. The following years you study the book in a lesser degree formally and more in an integrated fashion through out your study/teach/work career. The way I see it anyone can read the UB its not that hard especially with help from peers and tutor/teachers. So if you "get it done" in the first year along with your gen credits and practice teaching it you will have a good base to apply it and experience its lessons from there on. The book and the environment of the UU should do a good job of reeducating new students and getting them ready for the next steps, including morantia.

On the subject of starting young and growing children into adulthood, issue is that they are not people yet in the human eye, in cosmic reality yes, but on Urantia you need to be 17-21 to gain independence from your fellow humans namely your parents. I think starting young without the UB being more popular would cause many problems, also kids can't read the book they don't have the skills. High school is interesting but I feel the hard lessons learned in this dark world are vital to super strong souls if you take the pain away to early you may miss out on some real good hard times. yes, we miss much time and youth in this approach but the value of what UU teaches will have more affect if they have grown to see what can happen in this dark world at least a little bit.

Ive considered the school system on another planet, and what we are building is not to far off. I say it looks more like a compressed and slightly different model. In time I think it should expand and change to look more like what happens on planet X but for our beloved blue Urantia, this seems more and more to fit quite nicely. It is still not finished, I think and I am taking in all this "perspective" and want to rewrite the system to fit all this in. I will take a few days to get it all in, I might find time Sunday, But in the meantime please keep the questions and ideas coming this is all just great conversation and I think we are on to something great, grand but not "grandiose" :wink:

Gerdean your edits are heard and will be included in the rewrite Thanks.

"furthering development"

Your right Chris the financial realities are daunting. On page 2 I threw out a basic plan from start to finish about how we can accomplish this task. I don't know, but am willing to bet that no one here has the money to build this thing. The best idea I came up with was to build a good plan that will work, a curriculum that can be accredited and basically "shop" the school plan around gaining donations, endowments and support. Right now we are figuring out a structure for educating the students, we are getting closer and I hope that by next week we can have an acceptable "system of education". after this I plan on working the curriculum, what classes will we offer. A few people "voted" that we should use 51:6.4 from the UB as a guide to build this, I agree and I await that you would to. With the "way" we teach we can learn "what" we teach then find out how to accredit it and continue to the next issue.

Now I think we are close on the system many bugs are worked out and a general Idea is being born, but your points are VERY important and if you would like to go on ahead and find out some information on accreditation this is very important to everything we are doing here. I will do some research myself tonight and over the week with you; but the next step is big we will need help, anything you have to add to this step is welcomed. Chris thank you again and feel free to post here or PM me what you find on these issues. I just don't want to stop this current train of thought because we are so close. next week I hope we can start the hard work of getting this system to fit the secular requirements and building the curriculum.

As far as payments and the students, there is so much tutoring going on that really any student can keep up, so I think we can accept C- D+ through A students and get along fine. tuition can be worked out like what ever you can get from the Gov (since it's their Capitalist system) or something. Even if you don't qualify because you have to much money then we just make it reasonable, it really depends on how much the whole thing costs at the end we need to figure it out then. Teachers and their pay too we know what we want but we need to figure out to much to make judgments today. I assure you if its not inclusive the UB community won't sign off on it we will work it out.

Thank you, and stay in touch, 15 years is a great time frame we can do it.

And thanks to everyone that has taken the time to read and "chime in" your support is very much appreciated by everyone, thank you.

Love
NAB

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Looks like others have the same idea. Did you see this posting In The Media?
Quote:
Bob Kalk, founder of Ascension University, has been a reader of The Uranita Book since 1972 and is the guest for the upcoming June 6 program. Bob's goal is to build a university with a comprehensive curriculum which seamlessly integrates The Urantia Book and its concepts with existing disciplines. Rather than a comprehensive study of the papers, the papers will instead be integrated into the course content. For example, The Urantia Book's religious content will be well represented in comparative religion courses, while it's physics and astronomy will be a part of the science courses. Both explicitly and implicitly, Urantia Book content will be woven throughout the curriculum. Ironically, a caller suggested this very concept on the show last week.

Tune in this coming Saturday, June 6, for another lively edition of the Cosmic Citizen broadcast. Our show is heard live at 11:00 a.m. CT, and runs for two hours with a concurrent live chat session. The url is www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmiccitizen -- that's where any of the previous shows can be listened to. Our hosts for this program will be Andre and Christilyn.

Looks like an idea whose time has come!

Post subject: I looked
PostPosted:  

I looked up the Ascension University and I think is another near miss. I again like the work he is doing with integrating the UB into regular course topics. The page is big but I'm not sure he is finished. I think his angle is not quite a College setting but rather an adult education scenario where you add the math of the book on to what you already know. I'm not sure he is looking for accreditation or degree work but more of a FYI outlook. These and other questions I will ask him Sat, I encourage readers to listen in. He does have a good concept and seems to have a strategy to integrate the UB that I would like to see if he would share with us or even let us in a way "commission" him to help with our curriculum.

Funny thing is he lives and works in my area, really near by, so if he is will in to help with the effort, I will have no problems meeting with him in person and getting some work done that way. Who knows, I have really only one shot he has no contact info posted so If he tells me to kick rocks We are on our own, Unless I have some "back up" he may want to help if there is more than one interested party trying to reach him.

So that's your homework call in Saturday and back me up. we will convene here Sunday to discuss the Teaching System's second draft and maybe call it suitable, and we can move on to creating the curriculum to fit it. Have a good weekend.

as always post away!

Love,
NAB

Post subject: New plan for school
PostPosted:  

Ok

Three levels like before but more integrated to allow passage between the ranks by students.

Student/tutors/workers
All students will tutor 2nd year students tutor the first year and so on oup the latter.
as a student class rooms will be run like a study group where the students effectively teach each other the materials(details of each class is up to the teachers)
as workers they will be monitored by "governors" and have the chance to progress to different jobs once they have shown that they can do their assigned work.
Class is 5days per week giving the students weekends to rest, also the daily schedule should not keep students from having at least 4 hours of "alone" time to study or socialize.

Governors/tutor guides
as a student you can earn this designation by mastering your particular job. once you excel to the point where you can train and supervise you are placed here and continue you training/service for a time. If you bore and want to pursue another job you start there from square one considering there is room.
This class does not make money but will earn perks (TBD). If you are not a student and we need you to "fill in" you will be paid a reasonable rate.
as governors you must have excelled in tutoring this is very important because even the tutors need a guide and as a governor you take this role. You not only need to tutor the tutors you will be in charge of tracking your pupil's progress means yet TBD.
in school politics this level will act as the judiciary. disciplinary actions and punishments will be dictated by a commission voted on by the governors. The admin's commission will act as supreme court.

Teacher/Admin
This class is paid or eligible for greater perks. The choice is up to the teacher which they would take pay, for batter family life, or perk to promote service.
Teachers are to be qualified and acceptable by modern standards as certified teachers. They must hold any degree's necessary to maintain accreditation. There is an exception for grad students that as [work] will be required to teach lower level courses.
Teachers will act as guides setting up the classroom agenda and being there to assure the students accomplish it.
Teachers will also group together and have a role in school politics, as the largest group they will act as a legislative branch finding new rules and practices that will improve performance. they also mush request money from the admin dep and approve any admin requests for money.

Admin workers must also be qualified for their work with appropriate degree's or training specific to the job.
Admin is in charge of all aspects of the school outside scholastic(which is the domain of the teachers) they will head all programs dealing with food, sports, promotions, recruitment etc.
Though students and governors will work with the admin the heads of each department are admin and some workers within departments. the admin is the responsible group for the whole school they must ensure that there will be a school after the students get their education. They have veto power and "mandate" power to enforce rules. though any action major action taken by the admin workers must pass though the commission that acts like a supreme court.
the school president will be voted on by the board of trustees as to satisfy modern standards. As president he can request fund from the teachers and veto any legislation from the teachers. Also he is the face of UU.

I hope this new "look" will do and satisfy some of the issues with the last one. I know it still has a Boss attitude but I tried to allow for progress and give plenty of room for students to teach themselves. Management is important to any organization and qualified admin is necessary for the continuation of the school after the first excited students leave. Hope this works I await response and if I get more good then bad Im moving on.

The next step is to figure out how what we will teach using the quote from the UB we can have a idea of this but it needs to be expanded so we can add details about the classes and majors.

As a note I understand this plan and even the next one is not perfect but. our goal is to come up with a plan, an outline to show that a school can be built and one worthy of the Urantia name. if we figure out the general ideas now once they are put together a more formal and better qualified group can be commissioned to dot the i's. Financial "planing" also requires us to understand better what we are doing.

Have a good one.

NAB

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi All,
What a great idea.
Just a couple of minor points.
How old are you NAB?
Who is holding all the loot that this great idea will take? 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next