Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:37 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Church or University
Poll ended at Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 pm +0000
Church 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
University 100%  100%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I love the farming idea and would expand upon it. I have often thought that if I were to try to jump start light and life, I would buy a farm that was being foreclosed upon for back taxes. I would keep the folks on as caretakers of the land they love and, ideally, have loved for generations. I would then add outbuildings, as living quarters for the workers -- white workers, as well as brown, red or any other derivation of humanity. I would dedicate this farm to agriculture (not animal husbandry) and foster the production of more food than could be consumed by the farmers and the crew; I would preserve what was possible (canning and dehydrating) then begin the dispersion of foods and food products to other experimental life stations underway, such as a fishery.

It wouldn't take much (it seems to me) to dig a hole and stock it with fish, then cultivate it year after year until it produces a serious food supply. That food supply would feed other workers in other experimental life stations established for such things as industry, art and education. And, as the Peace Corps used to do, establish another separate experimental life station that produces chickens and eggs -- another source of food. And yet another separate agency to create dairy products (but not meat, because the ideal, as I see it, is to wean ourselves from being meat eaters).

So we have now a supply of food for those who populate and civilize the other areas of society, founded and inhabited by altruists like me and you.

I have other ideas, too, but this is all I will contribute at this point -- in response to your mentioning agriculture. It reminds me that we need to get back to functioning on an agricultural base. We are so far removed from the land, we have become strangers to our own human nature. It is good for the soul to work the land; everybody should take a turn at it, just to stay in touch with our humble yet noble roots.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

This is beginning to sound too much like something already existing:
and they already have a Farm - Soulistic Medical Institute - Soulistic Hospice - Personality Integration Rehabilitation Program and other things which would go along with a "community", all based (in their opinion) on the FER and the CFER.

Check it out for yourself...

http://www.globalcommunitycommunicationsalliance.org/gcca_info/calltotheplanet#

BUT, there are "getting off" points for me with this group... BUT, again, maybe they offer some insight as to how to start what you are talking about...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I have explored the Garden by the proclaimed CFER. They are quite the tight nit group. I wanted to talk to thier leader about my idea and they said I needed to take classes to do that. The Gardening that goes on there is important to this idea, they have alot of experiance in cultivation. I am exploring them as allys to UU and even consiering going to thier school to get closer to the leader there. The thing is I don't want this school to be so exclusive I think it needs to be inclusive to successfuly upstep society as a whole. They are more focused on maintaining a closed in community. But it is a faction of the UB and they are included in the Idea. its just not as easy to get thier attention yet, there needs to be a better general plan so they can join in not make it, they have thier own plans.

The system of societies Gerdean has given can work for us here. A school that teaches agriculture should have farms and alow hands on training in those fields along with finding improved methods of farming and so on. Your idea is good for finding land though forclosures and this "farm" can feed the students and falculty and should, I'm thinking we intergate the students into every aspect of the function of the school(janitorial, policeing, admin etc) this would reduce costs and give vital real world exprience to students, essentialy growing responsibilty with in the students by giveing them a role in thier own training not just academic schooling( this idea I will explore and give a report back on how we may accomplish this) it is vital to our "sticking out" from other schools.

Gerdean if you have an Idea of how to make these Farms I'd like to know it. maybe there is a certain "set up" that you think would work best. you have had more time to work out the "kinks" in it. I'm sure you know better than I do. You can realy help here thank you for the idea.

Kreneep thanks for adding and bringing up the CFER group. Its important we know whats out there.

I'm reviewing the plan on page 2 and integrating these new ideas and working out the "work for education" topic. If there is anymore please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

NAB

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

How frustrating. I went to the site and got all excited about what these people were doing. Then I remembered how many people in the Urantia community hate these people. It makes my little zooid heart weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Gerdean, you might wish to either reconsider your "hate" comment or explain what you mean. You've made a pretty condemnatory statement relating to the totality of "the Urantia Community" there.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Okay, Larry.

I tried to edit out that word "hate" but there was no other word I could find in my dictionary to describe what I perceive from conversations held by the majority of my UB peers, particularly those UB peers who fall under the auspices of the UB Foundation and Fellowship and not simply readers at large. The definition I used was derived from the premise God is love. Just as with light and dark, if dark is the absence of light, if God is love, then that which is without truth, beauty and goodness must surely be godless.

That group of people in the Arizona desert has been construed as being without redeeming value. It has been vilified. We have been warned not to believe them, not to go there, that it is a cult from which we may never emerge with our sanity and our finances intact, and all the prejudicial and dire things one might imagine taking place in a compound dedicated to exploitation of young girls in the name of religion.

I am a member-at-large of the Urantia movement, not affiliated with a Urantia Society. As a member-at-large, I frequent the sites sanctioned by the FER -- Truthbook and UBRON. They tend to merge in my mind, so it could be that what I have seen on UBRON has not been publicized on Truthbook, but I think by and large they are on a par. With that as my basis, I would be remiss to state anything other than that the Aquarian Community is hated by the Urantia Community, even though the Aquarian Community's premise for existence is based on the Urantia Papers, it's cosmology, personalities and principles -- as have many other individuals and groups the world over, be they capitalistic, cultish or otherwise.

Every time their name is brought into our midst, an outcry goes up, a flurry of red flags are unfurled, and the subject is quickly extinguished. That's what I intended to do -- extinguish the topic. Evidently I didn't succeed. Perhaps this subject should be added to those things which we ought not discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

I expect you'd have a better overall impression of how people elsewhere relate to one another -- I don't frequent other discussion sites so can't speak for those outside my frame of reference. But I do know "scads" of UB people -- "scads" representing great numbers of -- and I can't think of one who I could typify as hating other UB people, or any people for that matter, because of their beliefs. I don't think I know one hateful person even outside of UB people.

I don't see any problem with raising a hue and cry when one comes across an idea, a person, a group that one disagrees with. Making judgments about people, groups, and ideas is human; as thinking individuals we're expected to discriminate in a positive sense. So, I think there's a big difference between raising a hue and cry and hate.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

All right, Larry.

I might have said that -- "a hue and a cry" -- but I had not heretofore been exposed to that cultural idiom. We didn't say that in my neck of the woods. We would probably have said: "raised a ruckus." So let's try it this way:

"How frustrating. I went to the site and got all excited about what these people were doing. Then I remembered how many people in the Urantia community raise a ruckus over these people. It makes my little zooid heart weep."

You will please notice I did not at any time indicate any particular person hating another particular person. My remarks were impersonal, more like "ideology versus ideology," and in the heat of battle, Democrats may hate Republicans and Republicans may raise a hue and a cry about Democrats, but on the Fourth of July everybody loves everybody.

But I really believe it is a lot stronger than either a hue or a cry or a ruckus.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Ruckus is good. I feel better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

It has come to my attention that item:
"A important source is grants from the USA gov"
under the second heading of the page 2 plan is contradictory to Micheal's teachings. This can cause many problems due to the Governments stance on religion. They may A: not even give money or B: try to curb religious practices or teachings in exchange for tax dollars.

I will not let this happen.

So we must raise "donations" privately. there may be some farm subsidies or something we might have access to but in no way will any out side source influence the teaching of the UB in UU. Bet my life on it.

As to the CFER I don't hate them or dislike them. I spoke with them and they SEEM ok. I don't know about the young girls if this is true we frankly don't need them. But there is a chance they are good people just trying to keep negative energies out of their group, can't fault them for that. I never heard of "the Aquarian Community" but I will look them up. They may just be misunderstood, who knows I'm sure we can find out more about these groups and decide whether they are viable as allies or are they just hiding behind truth we will know in time, I'm not worried. As far as the "Urantia Society" I just haven't joined yet, too busy you could say, but in truth I forgot they where there. But it could be a great source for support. I will check it out and probably join since they are the "official" organization for the UB.

As always, if you have a view on this, please express it. Thanks

Love
NAB O:)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The only reason I brought up the CFER is because they are the only "group" I have run across in my late night searches for all things Urantia... I do not adhere to their claims, neither would I become involved with them to find out more of what they are about. My own red flag went up when I read that they all think that Gabriel is the only person on the planet who can receive any messages from celestial beings, among other things.

BUT, I can't imagine anyone claiming to be a follower of Jesus OR a Urantia Book reader saying they HATE this group... that to me is outrageous and far from the teachings of Jesus. What's wrong with "you" people? Why so much FEAR about everything that doesn't agree with your own agenda? Predjudice is not a fruit of the spirit... neither is condemnation or fear.

I am utterly disappointed in the Urantian Community if they indeed have HATE towards this group or any other... that is not the way of brotherhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

No doubt, Kreneep, this is why Larry asked me to reconsider my use of the word. As administrator of this site, I can see why he did. No one has actually used the word "hate" except me. If Urantia Book readers really did "hate" people -- for any reason -- it would cast on the readers of our revelation a very poor reflection indeed.

Even so, as I look at the dictionary, I have to say that my eyes have beheld certain individuals manifest persistent and unabating "strong dislike" or "ill will for" the Aquarian Community, that "implies a feeling of great dislike or aversion, and, with persons as the object, connotes the bearing of malice." JoeR very likely could find the thread readily enough, if it is indeed here, but perhaps it is not. Even so, I have certainly been privy to discussions on UB lists that manifest abject fear and loathing for the Aquarian Community, particularly the leader, who calls himself Gabriel. For that matter, I myself have been similarly persecuted by my peers for my beliefs and practices and it may be meant as "raising a hue and cry" but it sure feels like hatred.

It's too bad because it just perpetuates the negative attitude people have about "cults" and makes it very difficult to begin new projects like the Zooid Mission or Urantia University or Findhorn.

But, Kreneep, I don't hold the UB, or Truthbook, or anyone but the stone-throwers responsible for this kind of ignorance. There are fanatics in every group of believers. In the Urantia movement at large there are all kinds of people. As we all know, Jesus said this gospel was for men and women, rich and poor, all colors, shapes and sizes, and hoo-boy, we got 'em. Lots of our readers have mental problems, emotional problems, marital problems, financial problems, sex problems, legal problems. Just having the Urantia Book does not render us lily white or without flaw. Indeed, having a personal relationship with God only invites us to want to be perfect in our sphere as God is in his sphere, thus we strive to be better, act better, serve better, love better. And there are among the readership some very loving, tolerant, gracious, educated, charming, witty, creative and motivated individuals. We who read the Urantia Book are people -- not better, not worse -- just men and women who seek to know and do God's will.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Indeed, having a personal relationship with God only invites us to want to be perfect in our sphere as God is in his sphere, thus we strive to be better, act better, serve better, love better. And there are among the readership some very loving, tolerant, gracious, educated, charming, witty, creative and motivated individuals. We who read the Urantia Book are people -- not better, not worse -- just men and women who seek to know and do God's will.

Yes, Gerdean. But the problem is there are also people who turn "truth" into a means of personal gain, personal agrandizement, personal property and this seems to be what the GCCA (aka: Aquarian Community) has done (maybe on purpose, maybe unknowingly) and have subsequently labeled themselves as a cult by giving the Urantia Papers a less than attractive means of that truth.

Quote:
Even so, I have certainly been privy to discussions on UB lists that manifest abject fear and loathing for the Aquarian Community, particularly the leader, who calls himself Gabriel. For that matter, I myself have been similarly persecuted by my peers for my beliefs and practices and it may be meant as "raising a hue and cry" but it sure feels like hatred.

Well, I love you, Gerdean.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Thanks, Kreneep.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I went to the site, GCCA.
Interesting.
Do they talk to little green people? :roll:
In other ways the seem very sincere.
I do not know if further research is needed by me. It might be good or a waste of my valuable time. I trust the judgement of most of you here on this forum. What's your take? Gut feeling?
To cult or not to cult that is the question!
8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next