All times are UTC - 7 hours

Church or University
Poll ended at Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 pm +0000
Church 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
University 100%  100%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: University of Urantia UU
PostPosted:  

With all the thinking I do on the subject of how this movement should unify; I have come to the conclusion that in order to unify all the different views, needs and mandates a University would be a better tool to spread knowledge of UB and instill its values in future world leaders.

The way I see it a church will endanger the freedom that comes with the teachings in the book by dogmatizing the religion into a cult. Also, there is no progression in a church, sure we could help people and teach the UB but the impact of the religion will be local at best and non productive in the mass society we are faced with. On the other hand a University like any other will give a believer 4 or more years exposure to the book and how to apply its teachings in real life. The community will be stronger because the time spent with your classmates will build bonds that last life times. But best of all we can offer something tangible like education to new generations of UBers and truly have a chance to spread the religion and its ideals to higher levels of our society. Not to mention profits can go to the poor by way of food or scholarships.

See, if you build a church in Idaho I will never go there, ever, I don't have the money or the time. But an education I am in need of and so are millions of Americans and Billions of Urantians. It offers a better platform in which to legitimately promote the religion. Think about the benefits of having such a recognized and respected institution like Notre Dame, but with UB and its teachings as its back bone.

I know this idea is BIG and some of you may shy away from a challenge but fear not, build it and they will come. Show your support lets get some feedback and participation. I think and believe it can be done

Rockville MD

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Now THIS I could go for!!! Excellent thought... My question, though, would be who will keep it "clean"... who will keep it from turning into a "money maker" like Oral Roberts University, or who will decide the curriculum??? Lots of questions.... but still I think it is a far, far better idea than a "church of Urantia"...

Who knows, maybe it could be the start of what the Urantia Book says could take place before a Magisterial Son makes His visible visitation.

If it could be as it is in this description, you might have something...

51:6.4 The schools of the Planetary Prince are primarily concerned with philosophy, religion, morals, and the higher intellectual and artistic achievements. The garden schools of Adam and Eve are usually devoted to practical arts, fundamental intellectual training, social culture, economic development, trade relations, physical efficiency, and civil government. Eventually these world centers amalgamate, but this actual affiliation sometimes does not occur until the times of the first Magisterial Son.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yes, this idea has potential. My concern would be that our revelation would become the possession of the intellectuals, leaving us dummies to feel like a penny waiting for change, when the fact is ... "the common man heard him gladly." They didn't have to be well educated in order to receive the gospel.

I suppose there is always something someone can find to complain about, but when the brightest among us go trotting off to find a solution, leaving those of us who are tad slower to eat their dust, we feel left out, and no one should be made to feel left out. Listen to even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

My solution is alternative communities. Religion is a personal thing. A university (such as a Urantia branch of the Melchizedek University) teaches "philosophy, religion, morals, and the higher intellectual and artistic achievements." But "edenic" communities provide "practical arts, fundamental intellectual training, social culture, economic development, trade relations, physical efficiency, and civil government."

We need a plan to develop garden centers, alternative communities, in anticipation that "Eventually these world centers amalgamate" into light and life on Urantia. In the meanwhile, they would be something for us to do on a local scale that would be part of the solution. Effort does not always produce joy, but there is no happiness without intelligent effort. And we need something to DO, while we are learning to think as men and pray as children.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p806:5 71:7.5 Education is the business of living; it must continue throughout a lifetime so that mankind may gradually experience the ascending levels of mortal wisdom, which are:
1. The knowledge of things.
2. The realization of meanings.
3. The appreciation of values.
4. The nobility of work—duty.
5. The motivation of goals—morality.
6. The love of service—character.
7. Cosmic insight—spiritual discernment.

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:04 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Good afternoon NAB,

You know, it's moments like these where I smack my head and think "Good golly, why didn't I think of that!" It's a brilliant and original idea.

Obviously this idea has much weightier benefits than a "church", the most obvious being a greater degree of intellectual freedom and a limit placed on dogma, as you have pointed out.

Notre Dame, the most prestigious Catholic University in America, offers many courses ranging from science, engineering, and physics to philosophy, psychology, foreign languages and Theology. An Urantian University could provide these classes and more: comparative religion, Bible and UB studies, astronomy, history, etc. Heck, with just the members on this forum we could probably fill half the staff. In addition, each of the four years of study at the university could be devoted to a corresponding section of the Urantia Book (or free unrestricted study could be encouraged).

Gerdean,
I don't think there is any real danger of the intellectual elite gaining sole ownership of the Revelation, inasmuch as the people who attend the campus will depart into the real world where their ideas, ideals, philanthropy, and all they have gained from the UB will be spread abroad in more active and beneficial ways. Perhaps in time, Edenic communities will become an inevitable outgrowth of such education.

I'd love to hear more about this service opportunity, and let's keep the ideas going!

With Love,
~Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Well, you'll have to carry on the discussion without me because it looks like I am being told where to get off -- I have got to get back to living my life, which is a full time job. TaTa!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
If one cannot find enough to do right where one is, then one is not looking hard enough. The university is LIFE.

I agree that LIFE is a University, but there are things we don't learn FROM Life itself and there are things that instruction would offer to enhance the experience of LIFE and help to balance the need for social, spiritual and intellectual achievements.

I, for one, can envision an "edenic world center" of education which would cover every aspect of life, taught and learned in the living "communities" as Gerdean was speaking of. If we want to become "Urantian mystics" and hide away in our own little world of seeking, then we will have missed the whole purpose of having a personal, intimate relatinship with the Living God. It isn't just for our personal pleasure, it is for the whole of mankind. I am beginning to see this more and more.

Quote:
Heck, with just the members on this forum we could probably fill half the staff.

Not so sure I can agree with this statement....

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yeah. And we are also called to serve. We can't serve others if we are focused on our own self-interests night and day.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Some grand and glorious day Urantia will maintain schools of TB&G,

They will come about because you live truth, beauty and goodness today. From Paper 56

Quote:
...The worlds settled in light and life are so fully concerned with the comprehension of truth, beauty, and goodness because these quality values embrace the revelation of Deity to the realms of time and space. The meanings of eternal truth make a combined appeal to the intellectual and spiritual natures of mortal man.... P.646 - §10

TB&G2U, Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Urantia University
http://urantiauniversity.org/

Urantia Church
HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

It's happenin' eh Joer,

The Web is the thing for the forseeable future:

Urantia Book Internet School has been operating for over a decade
http://www.urantia.org/ubis/

Lotsa love, rw

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p435:6 39:4.13 To the inhabited worlds the quickeners of morality portray mortal life as an unbroken chain of many links. Your short sojourn on Urantia, on this sphere of mortal infancy, is only a single link, the very first in the long chain that is to stretch across universes and through the eternal ages. It is not so much what you learn in this first life; it is the experience of living this life that is important. Even the work of this world, paramount though it is, is not nearly so important as the way in which you do this work. There is no material reward for righteous living, but there is profound satisfaction—consciousness of achievement—and this transcends any conceivable material reward.
p435:7 39:4.14 The keys of the kingdom of heaven are: sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity. All men have these keys. Men use them—advance in spirit status—by decisions, by more decisions, and by more decisions. The highest moral choice is the choice of the highest possible value, and always—in any sphere, in all of them—this is to choose to do the will of God. If man thus chooses, he is great, though he be the humblest citizen of Jerusem or even the least of mortals on Urantia.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:

This wonderful, however, it is not "visible" to the "public" eye... I didn't know about it until just recently and I've known about the Urantia Book for many years (30)...

Yes, Iris, it IS the experience we are talking about where LIFE is concerned, but some our experiences could be enhanced, enlarged, and made more understandable through "education" (and I don't mean just formal, classroom type book study)...

Nevertheless, I love to learn and I would be all for an "edenic" type world educational center...

Quote:

Hmmmm... Joer, do you know anything about this? Who started it, etc.. the webpage has a 2009 copyright so it's pretty new???

Thanks for the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p913:2 82:0.2 While religious, social, and educational institutions are all essential to the survival of cultural civilization, the family is the master civilizer. A child learns most of the essentials of life from his family and the neighbors.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Kreneep wrote:
Quote:

This wonderful, however, it is not "visible" to the "public" eye... I didn't know about it until just recently and I've known about the Urantia Book for many years (30)...

Yes, Iris, it IS the experience we are talking about where LIFE is concerned, but some our experiences could be enhanced, enlarged, and made more understandable through "education" (and I don't mean just formal, classroom type book study)...

Nevertheless, I love to learn and I would be all for an "edenic" type world educational center...

Quote:

Hmmmm... Joer, do you know anything about this? Who started it, etc.. the webpage has a 2009 copyright so it's pretty new???

Thanks for the link.

Hi KP, Iris, Gerdean, Rick, Chris, NAB and all.

The UU is in South Carolina I believe. As brother Larry was passing through different areas with the Pato Banton Tour. I believe he stopped by to see our brother AL down there and the ran across this guy who never had formal contact with anyone and was a long time reader and, he created the website infra structure of the UU site. It's non-functional as of yet.

I reviewed it and was wondering how the accreditation of teachers and course materials would work and who would run the program. Any degrees of course would not be transferable until wide spread acceptance and/or knowledge of the teachings. But it's a start. UBIS on the other hand is functional and seems to be expanding in that more people are finding out about it.

The family unit will never be replaced. We will teach our children better about the Father and Motherhood of God and the Brother and Sisterhood of mankind. Over time they will grow up with God as a forgone reality in theirs lives without a doubt as to God's existence and what our role is in serving God and each other.

As the world's population's physical needs are better and better met the worlds spiritual needs and reality will come more and more into the foreground of One's Life. IMHO.

Thank You ALL for your Love and Desire to know God and Live a Spirit-led life.

God's Peace be with you. :smile:

We have least three Conferences happening soon. Boulder, Oregon and Chicago. If I made it to one, I would like to go to the TUB Youth Conference in Boulder and the with the TUB contingent going to the Rainbow Gathering in New Mexico following the Boulder Conference.

God's Love my Brothers and Sisters of the World. :-)