Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Dear sibling friends,

The absence of a healthy and natural “appropriate symbolism” or socio-religious cultus based on or inspired by the Fifth Epochal Revelation has prompted more than one reader to ponder whether the evolution of such a “skeletal structure” supporting the “living and dynamic body of personal spiritual experience – true religion" - is possible or yet desirable in the conceivable future.

I doubt that it’s necessary, in this venue, to cite the many passages which detail the serious “drawbacks and handicaps” of institutional religion. Various personalities, including a Melchezidek son, have provided us with critically useful resources for evaluating the dangers and difficulties involved.

Any whole-hearted and service-minded group effort to soberly and responsibly evolve a new “cult which can endure and contribute to the progress of social civilization and individual spiritual attainment” must thoroughly address every potential evil inherent in such an undertaking.

In my opinion, the ‘chaordic” organizational design process is a Godsend which, if utilized, will lead to the manifestation of a new type of socio-religious ‘institutional’ framework which has never before been fully realized on Urantia. Careful investigation reveals its potential for group development of a “new cult” which would be “dynamic instead of static, (and) it might really contribute to something worth while to the progress of mankind, both temporal and spiritual.” (87:7:9.5)

As a prospective member of the Chaordic Commons ( http://www.chaordic.org/index.html ), I will take liberties in quoting work that has been done by others in the last decade or so since Dee Hock initiated their efforts. It was Meredith Sprunger who recognized the potential applicability of chaordic organizational theory to bring about the actualization of “a different horse and cart”, or new species of socio-religious community which will be necessary for enduring dissemination and enculturation of the spiritual values revealed by the FER.

Even a cursory examination makes it abundantly clear that such application of chaordic principles of organization can only be implemented through group commitment to research and development - an evolutionary process.

Naturally, those who disagree with the Brilliant Evening Star who stated that a new cultus "must grow" or those who have no inclination for the degree of commitment and dedicated hard work, will stay out of the kitchen. Obviously, there’s no advantage to dragging anyone, kicking and screaming, into a project for which they have no stomach. To get anything done, thoughtful, loving, and informed folks who desire to contribute simply must politely ignore hysterical protestations and undue negativity.

As time allows, I hope to present helpful information to this list regarding the aforementioned ‘chaordic’ organizational design process. I encourage any astute and energetic person who so desires to inform themselves from the Chaordic Commons website (they have produced very useful powerpoint presentations for download) and other websites, including articles and interviews with Dee Hock and Margaret Wheatley.

‘See’ you there, friends. 8)
May we go with His blessings,
mm

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Sibling friends,

Being no master of ‘chaordic’ organizational theory, my vision and the scope of my attempts to introduce these concepts are limited by a lack of experience in grappling with real world applications. Inevitably, any such group application will be an evolutionary process of learning as we go.

I salute those friends who will make the effort to become informed of the highly valuable materials offered as powerpoint presentations available on the Chaordic Commons website ( http://www.chaordic.org/presentations.html ). It appears to have been some years since the website was updated, and various links and email addresses have proven to be defunct. I have been able to leave a recorded message on their listed land-line telephone, and hope to hear from their representative.

Ongoing study of these concepts and consideration (since ’01) of their capacity to be of practical use in the evolution of a progressive socio-religious cultus has led me to believe that they provide a perfect design process which very well could eventuate in a “skeletal structure” of “social and economic features of this association of men and women as fellows of the kingdom” described in the FER. (87:7 & 157:4)

Since I have provided links to the finest and most condensed source of information that I know of, a rehash at this time of overviews and various abbreviated discussions which I presented on this list some time ago will be a less effective use of time than the following invitation:

If you think you are seriously interested in participating in a group research and discussion board focused on examining the application of ‘chaordic’ design to the evolution of a new socio-religious expression inspired by the UPapers, I would like to hear from you. I can be contacted via PM on this board, or through the email address listed in my profile.

May we feast upon uncertainty, invigorate in the presence of difficulties, exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity and cry: “In liaison with God, nothing – absolutely nothing – is impossible.”
(26:5 adapted)

Thanks be to our Father, His Son and His Spirit,
mm
Quote:
Purpose
• For the community: Fundamental justification for the existence of the community.
• For the individual: Personal touchstone for meaning and connection
• “If we could do that, my life would have more meaning."

A Strong Purpose
• Speaks of an abiding and important activity within a healthy society
• Is a purpose for every individual and for the community as a whole
• Is never exhausted, even as participants’ understanding evolves
• Gives meaning to every step along the way

Principles

• For the community: Inviolable statements of common belief and value
• For the individual: Personal credo for relating to others in the community (and humankind)
• The “organizational DNA” that supports continuous learning, innovation and emergence
• Express core values and beliefs of all participants, current and future
• Touchstone for judging all structures, decisions, actions and results
• Never to be violated and essential for success
• High ethical and moral content
• Never prescribe, only describe
• An interrelated set, often in creative tension

A Strong Set of Principles
• Is unambiguous
• Embodies creative tension and balance
• Anticipates potential risks to the integrity of the system
• Includes only those principles necessary and sufficient
• Requires exercise of judgement, but has the ring of being “principled”
• Really is believed by all participants, isn’t just wishful thinking

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings friends,

Chris Watts, in a post on another thread, has again brought up the “Urantia Church” concept, and I would like to address that subject a little further.

It takes time to share my (or any other) vision for such a project, and I realize it also takes time for folks to grasp my intentions in all of this, but those who are able to restrain snap judgments and premature criticisms might benefit from such more patient analysis.

As those who are hopefully interested have begun to understand, the home/family-based grassroots network of faith communities which I see as the ideal way for a world-wide socio-religious network/'cultus' to evolve over time is “a different horse and cart” from any “church” which has ever existed on this planet. Since this is truly different, seeking to attach stereotyped concepts of traditional “church/institution” is entirely missing the point. No one can know how such a co-operative network will look either short-term or long-term, because it must innovate, grow and evolve (without sacrificing its Purpose and Principles).
Quote:
Foundational Purpose/Mission
• For the community: Fundamental justification for the existence of the community.
• For the individual: Personal touchstone for meaning and connection
“If we could do that, my life would have more meaning."

A Strong Purpose
• Speaks of an abiding and important activity within a healthy society
• Is a purpose for every individual and for the community as a whole
• Is never exhausted, even as participants’ understanding evolves
• Gives meaning to every step along the way

An example of strong ‘gospel-centric’ Purpose which, I believe, satisfies all of the above requirements:
“___________is formed to encourage and support personal faith-sonship experience with God and loving service to humankind by aiding the formation, growth, and co-operative networking of faith communities sharing this Purpose and our Principles.”

Quote:
Foundational Shared Principles/Ideals

• For the community: Inviolable statements of common belief and value
• For the individual: Personal credo for relating to others in the community (and humankind)
• The “organizational DNA” that supports continuous learning, innovation and emergence
• Express core values and beliefs of all participants, current and future
• Touchstone for judging all structures, decisions, actions and results
• Never to be violated and essential for success
• High ethical and moral content
• Never prescribe, only describe
• An interrelated set, often in creative tension

A Strong Set of Principles
• Is unambiguous
• Embodies creative tension and balance
• Anticipates potential risks to the integrity of the system
• Includes only those principles necessary and sufficient
• Requires exercise of judgement, but has the ring of being “principled”
• Really is believed by all participants, isn’t just wishful thinking

One example of a strong, creatively interrelated set of ideals which, in my opinion, satisfies all of the above requirements (and I hope my friends will consider this very carefully and deeply):

1. Faith - Wholehearted acceptance of the child-Parent relationship with our heavenly Father - the key to eternal survival.
2. Worship - Loving communion with God - our highest privilege and first duty.
3. Liberty - Humble respect for creative free will – a gift of our Father to all personalities.
4. Consecration - Fervent dedication to co-operation with our Father’s will - the ever-growing desire to become more like Him.
5. Loyalty – Faith-acknowledgement of our human/divine Creator Son, remembrance of his bestowal Life and Spirit, and commitment to loving and following Him.
6. Service – Joyful experience in yielding spiritual fruits of loving-service to all of God’s family.
7. Progress - Diligent efforts towards progressive spiritual growth under the Supremacy of Love – enhanced by voluntary study of the Urantia Papers and any other compatible teachings.

In my opinion, we can find confirmation of all of these ideals in the FER.

I believe, after discussions with David Elders and much well-nigh agonizing consideration over a number of years, that as readers/believers of the teachings in the FER, we do have a “fifth epochal responsibility”, so to speak, which should be honestly and appropriately acknowledged. Herein (in #7. above), we can see an example of reference to voluntary study of the Urantia Papers. In my opinion, the inclusion of this as a “foundational shared value” does not constitute ‘founding a religion about the Urantia Book’, while it does imply that members take their ‘fifth epochal responsibility’ seriously enough to agree on direct reference to it in their unchanging Principles.

Of course, as in the example Purpose, I am open-minded to the wisdom of any group of individuals sincerely interested in participating in research and discussion regarding the application of ‘chaordic’ design to the evolution of a new socio-religious expression inspired by the UPapers; I would like to hear from you. I can be contacted via PM on this board, or through the email address listed in my profile.

Sincere regards all,
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
In my opinion, the ‘chaordic” organizational design process is a Godsend which, if utilized, will lead to the manifestation of a new type of socio-religious ‘institutional’ framework which has never before been fully realized on Urantia. Careful investigation reveals its potential for group development of a “new cult” which would be “dynamic instead of static, (and) it might really contribute to something worth while to the progress of mankind, both temporal and spiritual.” (87:7:9.5)

I can see how someone might mis-interpret paper 87:7 as saying that a "cult" must, inevitably arise out of a new revelation.

Unfortunately when one takes sentences out of context to build an idea or statement that they believe to be true, then we become deceived and rob ourselves of Truth...

Quote:
87:7.6 Regardless of the drawbacks and handicaps, every new revelation of truth has [not will] given rise to a new cult, and even the restatement of the religion of Jesus must develop a new and appropriate symbolism[/b] [because man is dependent on symbolism]. Modern man must find some adequate symbolism for his new and expanding ideas, ideals, and loyalties. This enhanced symbol must arise out of religious living, spiritual experience. And this higher symbolism of a higher civilization must be predicated on the concept of the Fatherhood of God and be pregnant with the mighty ideal of the brotherhood of man.

This enhanced symbol must arise out of religious living, spiritual experience

I'm sorry, but first we must determine what religious living and spiritual experience is. The religious living and spiritual experience MUST come FIRST... what I see being proposed by one Mike Melody is that we must first form a home/network of faith communities and then the "cultus" will evolve. I see the "cart" being put before the "horse" in what he is proposing...

Quote:
As those who are hopefully interested have begun to understand, the home/family-based grassroots network of faith communities which I see as the ideal way for a world-wide socio-religious network/'cultus' to evolve over time is “a different horse and cart” from any “church” which has ever existed on this planet. Since this is truly different, seeking to attach stereotyped concepts of traditional “church/institution” is entirely missing the point. No one can know how such a co-operative network will look either short-term or long-term, because it must innovate, grow and evolve (without sacrificing its Purpose and Principles).

Paper 87 is not saying that this "new cultus" will evolve from forming an organized network of "home-based" faith communities... "The cult is the skeletal structure around which grows the living and dynamic body of personal spiritual experience—true religion."

In my opinion, it is the personal spiritual experience that must grow, not the "cult"....

No matter whether you call it a "cult", "cultus", "home/family based unit", "church" or just plain "group", the point of TRUE RELIGION is being missed here... personal spiritual experience is TRUE RELIGION and TRUE EXRESSION of that religious life is to be found in those who are part of a spiritual body of people... not part of a physical organization that becomes complex by way of utilizing this "chaordic design"...

Quote:
87:7.10 But a cult—a symbolism of rituals, slogans, or goals—will not function if it is too complex. And there must be the demand for devotion, the response of loyalty. Every effective religion unerringly develops a worthy symbolism, and its devotees would do well to prevent the crystallization of such a ritual into cramping, deforming, and stifling stereotyped ceremonials which can only handicap and retard all social, moral, and spiritual progress. No cult can survive if it retards moral growth and fails to foster spiritual progress. The cult is the skeletal structure around which grows the living and dynamic body of personal spiritual experience—true religion.

IMO this whole paper is talking about moving away from structured symbolism and towards True Religion which is personal and spiritually experiencial... even Jesus tried to move his disciples in the direction of spiritual communion and spiritual experience and to let go of the old...

Again... this proposal is trying to put old wine in new wineskin...

Chaordic design is a matter of structural design as to how a business may be run... it is not what the Brilliant Evening Star was suggesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear ...

[Another ad hominem post deleted by admin. Please, address the argument and not the person.]

Toward joyful and progressive loving service,
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Urantiavista!

I tried to log in as a member at large... The email address on the website appears flawed.
Could you please verify?
LOOKING FORWARD TO JOINING!
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Al,

Although I have accessed the Chaordic Commons website over the years, only recently did I decide to make contact. As you have also found, while most of their internal links to resource materials are operative, their contact and email links are not updated, perhaps because there have been no ongoing projects, who knows?

Anyhow, I found their land-line telephone # led to an answering machine recording which informs that it would be at least two weeks until I might expect a return call.

I had thought that this group might find the proposed initiation of a 'chaordic' socio-religious organization to be one which they would enjoy lending their knowledgeable expertise. Whether that is the case remains to be seen...

In any event, years of consideration have given me confidence that this is the way to go with group research, development, and practical implementation of a "skeletal structure" or "new and appropriate symbolism", which will (example Purpose) -"encourage and support personal faith-sonship experience with God and loving service to humankind", as a gospel-centric "useful social result" (inspired by the UPapers) which in no way seeks to displace "the spiritual concept of the real kingdom as Jesus taught and lived it". (UP87, UP170) The size of this group of interested persons might be few, or many...

Thanks for helping to keep this thread on the subject :wink:

"In liaison with God, nothing - absolutely nothing - is impossible." (26:5)
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings friends!

It occurs to me that this thread should be reserved for a discussion of the topic with which it was begun.

The introduction of topics which interrupt the flow of discussing how ‘chaordic’ organizational design theories can be applied to socio-religious organizational efforts should be posted on some other thread. I will consider pro or con arguments (such as those against socio-religious organization) not falling directly into that subject category as being misplaced and not necessarily warranting any reply herein. The same reasoning will apply to posts which make passing reference to the subject title, then redirect into other issues as their main content.

Hopefully that practice will minimize unhelpful distractions as some here seek to learn and share… 8)

While pausing for specific feedback on the topic related material posted so far, I will refocus and draw other aspects of applying chaordic design into the equation being presented.

Only a day's work
the woodpile is growing, not diminishing,
all praise be to God!
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear sibling friends,

During this pause and…

As an aside from the subject under consideration, I ask for understanding if it appears that my future contributions may have developed a(n) (even more :shock: ) ‘robotic’ flavor, so to speak. This is due to the ‘slippery slope’ which apparently arises whenever persons are addressed rather than subjects. With robotic, rather than personal, discourse, a level (though stark) field, much easier to police and maintain, can be anticipated. Thus, adherence to the ‘letter of the law’, precisely computed, may stand less chance of censure (while transgressions of the ‘spirit of the law’ might pass 'under-the-robot'). In such ‘hypothetical’ cases (of censure), where there is no procedure for redress or appeal, biases can easily be camouflaged to resemble superior wisdom, and I certainly hope that does not happen, though it would be revealing.

beep :wink:
mm 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Sibling friends,

Let me continue with sharing the discovery of Dr. Sprunger that the application chaordic design principles offers a ‘quantum-leap’ development in the “technique for cultural manifestion” of new socio-religious organizations, institutional cultus, or “perpetuating symbolism”. (87:7)

Imo, the evolution of a non-static, non-ecclesiastic, self-governing and self-improving organizational structure based on goals and ideals and inspired by the UPapers holds a promise of potential service benefits quite valuable for the advancement of both personal spiritual and societal progress.

Those who are called to this understanding and have looked into the available resources have discovered that the expression “unified from the core” refers to first two “lenses” of chaordic design. We find this same concept well stated by a Melchizidek in Paper 99:6 - “Someday religionists will get together and actually effect co-operation on the basis of unity of ideals and purposes…” :!:

The importance of that basis of unity for a chaordic organization cannot be overstated, and is the reason why joint agreement thereon must be so deeply researched, jointly considered and reached with consensus.

The remaining “lenses” of chaordic design, while seen as more yielding and flexible in nature (being amenable to healthy innovation and self-correcting improvements from within the membership) also have vital functions both foundationally and over the evolutionary passage of time.

Consider, if you will, how these quotes from Paper 103:5:13 and 87:7:3 apply succinctly to the chaordic “lense” of Participants:
Quote:
When a member of a social religious group has complied with the requirements of such a group, he should be encouraged to enjoy religious liberty in the full expression of his own personal interpretation of the truths of religious belief and the facts of religious experience. The security of a religious group depends on spiritual unity, not on theological uniformity. A religious group should be able to enjoy the liberty of freethinking without having to become "freethinkers." There is great hope for any church that worships the living God, validates the brotherhood of man, and dares to remove all creedal pressure from its members.”

“...it is regrettable that so many modern believers in moral standards and spiritual ideals have no adequate symbolism--no cult of mutual support--nothing to belong to.”

(Participants)
• For the community: Individuals and faith communities who see the Purpose and Shared Ideals as their own
• For the individual: A recognizable “doorway” for potential participants to enter.

A strong list of “the requirements of such a group” for membership (ref. Melchezidek above) should be relatively short and concise, complete, limited to those who see the Purpose and Principles as their “own”, and providing of a recognizable doorway for potential members to join in belonging.

I will pause here for brevity’s sake, and return with more thoughts on the Participants “lense”. Feel free to comment or ask questions…

For God and our fellows,
I pray
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings sibling friends,

I will be consolidating and focusing my postings on the subject of organizational development to this category, because they are intended to help define a proposed 'future project' of Service With a Smile. O:)

This post material interposes a series concerning the 'six-lense' chaordic design process, but contains directly related resources regarding organizational and institutional problems and solutions. My apologies for the length, but perhaps those who read will thus evidence true interest. :roll:

Have we opened our minds to the proposition that fear of stereotyped concepts of ‘institution’ or ‘organization’ is an obstacle for learning how to apply new ideas toward positive socio-religious networking?

The following essay relies in part on ideas from Margaret Wheatley (M.W.) as well as the authors of the Urantia Papers.
Quote:
Margaret Wheatley writes, teaches, and speaks about radically new practices and ideas for organizing in chaotic times. She works to create organizations of all types where people are known as the blessing, not the problem. She is president of The Berkana Institute, a charitable global foundation serving life-affirming leaders around the world, and has been an organizational consultant for many years, as well as a professor of management in two graduate programs.

Wheatley's work also appears in two award-winning books, Leadership and the New Science (1992, 1999)
and A Simpler Way (with Myron Kellner-Rogers, 1996,) plus several videos and articles. She draws many of her ideas from new science and life's ability to organize in self-organizing, systemic, and cooperative modes.

“Goodbye, Command and Control”
Leader to Leader, July 1997

From our own experience and from the FER we know what has generally been the case for ‘institutional’ socio-religious structures (the ‘outward’ or ‘social and economic features of spiritual fellowship) throughout history. In her article, Wheatley puts it this way:

Quote:
“ Organizations of all kinds are cluttered with control mechanisms that paralyze ... Where have all these policies, procedures, protocols, laws, and regulations come from? And why is it so
difficult to avoid creating more, even as we suffer from the terrible
confines of over-control? These mechanisms seem to derive from our fear, our fear of one another, of a harsh competitive world, and of the natural processes of growth and change that confront us daily. Years of such fear have resulted in these byzantine systems. We never effectively control people with these systems, but we certainly stop a lot of good work from getting done. (M.W.)”

As the Melchezidek author of Paper 99 wrote: “But as (the) religion (of personal spiritual experience) becomes institutionalized, its power for good is curtailed, while the possibilities for evil are multiplied.”
Quote:
• fixation of beliefs – crystallization of sentiments
• vested interests – secularization
• standardized, fossilized truth
• diversion of service from God to church
• leaders become administrators instead of ministers/servants
• competitive sects and divisions vs. creative diversity
• oppressive ecclesiastic authority
• “chosen-people” attitudes
• false, exaggerated ideas of sacredness (idolatry)
• religion becomes routine; worship becomes petrified
• veneration of the past; blindness to present needs
• failure to value progressive, innovative interpretations
• entanglement with secular groups and causes
• religious discrimination evils
• intolerant orthodoxy
• becomes boring to youthful adventurers
• loses the saving message of eternal salvation

However, Wheatley reminds us:
Quote:
“In the midst of so much fear, it's important to remember something we all know: People organize together to accomplish more, not less. Behind every organizing impulse is a realization that by joining with others we can accomplish something important that we could not accomplish alone. And this impulse to organize so as to accomplish more is not only true of humans, but is found in all living systems. Every living thing seeks to create a world in which it can thrive. It does this by creating systems of relationships where all members of the system benefit from their connections. This movement toward organization, called self—organization in the sciences, is everywhere, from microbes to galaxies. Patterns of relationships form into effective systems of organization. Organization is a naturally occurring phenomenon. The world seeks organization, seeks its own effectiveness. And so do the people in our organizations. (M.W.)”

This idea - that organization is a naturally occurring phenomena - concurs with the Melchezidek who wrote:
Quote:
“While religion is exclusively a personal spiritual experience--knowing God as a Father--the corollary of this experience--knowing man as a brother--entails the adjustment of the self to other selves, and that involves the social or group aspect of religious life. Religion is first an inner or personal adjustment, and then it becomes a matter of social service or group adjustment. The fact of man's gregariousness perforce determines that religious groups will come into existence.” (99:5)

The revelators declare that (“regardless of the drawbacks and handicaps”) “there is a real purpose in the socialization of religion.” As human beings, as with all natural living systems, we seek to organize our social and religious impulses in order to “accomplish something important that we could not accomplish alone. (M.W.)”

Our Melchezidek friend provides us a list of “purpose(s) of group religious activities” which cannot be accomplished alone (99:6):
Quote:
• to dramatize the loyalties of religion
• to magnify the lures of truth, beauty, and goodness
• to foster the attractions of supreme values
• to enhance the service of unselfish fellowship
• to glorify the potentials of family life
• to promote religious education
• to provide wise counsel and spiritual guidance
• to encourage human friendship
• to conserve morality
• to promote neighborhood welfare
• to facilitate the spread of the essential gospel of eternal salvation

Developing solutions to the socio-religious paradox of negative tendencies/positive necessities requires open minds and creative, dedicated and co-operative research and sharing. Readers of the Urantia Papers should be positioned to understand, better than most religionists, the imperative inevitability of evolving transformed socio-religious organizational structures capable of “contribut(ing) something worth while to the progress of mankind, both temporal and spiritual. (87:7)”

I have proposed that recent (within the last 20 years or so) developments provide the keys to evolving such a new type “skeletal structure around which grows the living and dynamic body of personal spiritual experience – true religion.” which would contain the self-governing and self-correcting tools so necessary for the minimization, if not eradication, of the dangers involved.
Quote:
”Self-organization is a long-term exploration requiring enormous self-awareness and support. This is true partially because it represents such a fundamentally different way of thinking about organization, and partially because all changes in organization take much longer than we want to acknowledge.” (M.W.)

In my opinion, the ‘chaordic’ design process is well-suited for this kind of “long-term exploration”. It begins with overall understanding of the entire process, and proceeds through the six ‘lenses’ as described in the Chaordic Commons presentations.

Wheatley states that “one principle that should be embraced by all organizations as they move into the future, and that is sustainability. How can we endure over time? What about us is worth sustaining long-term?”. Indeed, if “Every inspiring ideal grasps for some perpetuating symbolism—some technique for cultural manifestation which will insure survival and augment realization…”, then, Purpose and Principles must reflect unchanging and enduring values held in common by the group.
Quote:
“If people are clear about the purpose and true values of their organization-if they understand what their organization stands for and who it shows itself to be through its actions, their
individual tinkering will result in systemwide coherence. In
organizations that know who they are and mean what they announce, people are free to create and contribute. A plurality of effective solutions emerges, each expressing a deeper coherence, an understanding of what this organization is trying to become.

Organizations that are clear at their core hold themselves
together because of their deep congruence…It is a strange and promising paradox of living systems: Clarity about who we are as a group creates freedom for individual contributions. People exercise that freedom in the service of the organization, and their capacity to respond and change becomes a capability of the whole organization.” (M.W.)

Here on TruthBook Forums, the facilitation of long-term research into these questions and their implemented solutions would be a very inefficient undertaking. Realizing that my own abilities and shortcomings would effect unpredictable results, at minimum, I have hoped to present the viewpoint that: “We have to learn how to get past the distress and cynicism that's been created in the past several years, and use our best talents to figure out how to reengage people in the important work of organizing.” (M.W.)

More wood, more water…
May we all go with God’s blessings,
mm

“You know when you walk in the door of an organization whether people want to be there or not. The sense of belonging (or not) is palpable.” (M.W.)

http://www.margaretwheatley.com/article ... mmand.html
PDF version: http://www.vvc.edu/offices/president/wheatley_1997.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greeting again, brothers and sisters,

Previous posts on this thread have addressed, to some degree, an overview of the ‘chaordic’ organizational design process as well as some specifics and examples of the first two of the six ‘lenses’. Links to educational resources were provided for all interested persons.

As I see it, discussion of the third phase of this process – Participants (or Membership) – involves at least passing familiarity with the coherence of all phases as a whole.

Thus, in seeking to describe a short, but strong list which comprises a recognizable membership ‘doorway’ of entry, reference to group Purpose, Principles, Constitution, and Practices provides logical definition. “When a member of (this) social religious group has complied with the requirements of such a group, he should be encouraged to enjoy religious liberty in the full expression of his own personal interpretation of the truths of religious belief and the facts of religious experience.” (103:5)

As an example of such a ‘doorway’ we know that early followers of and believers in Jesus submitted to the rite of baptism as symbolic of their entrance into the social brotherhood of believers. We also know that Jesus refrained from commenting on the rite of baptism, only saying that in such matters of socialization what is agreed upon by members would be respected in heaven so long as it doesn’t offend the spiritual sovereignty of God. There are modern parallels to the baptism ritual, but it seems unnecessary to complicate acceptance into social membership with a requirement for any such ritual which could invite crystallized interpretations.

I would suggest that keeping it simple, such as through the ‘doorway’ of an affirmation, pledge, or agreement is quite sufficient.

For an example:
____________ will accept into its membership all individuals and faith communities agreed:
• to support our Purpose
• to affirm our Cornerstone
• to embrace our Shared Ideals
• to respect our Constitution
• and to endeavor to abide by our Practices
Furthermore, all of God’s family of humankind are welcome to share joyfully and peacefully in our worship and service ministries, irrespective of membership.

This agreement is short, complete, and limited to those who see the Purpose and Shared Ideals as their “own”, and provides a recognizable ‘doorway’ to join in belonging. It also includes a clear declaration of intent to be all-inclusive in worship and service ministries.

If there are no comments soon following, I will attempt to address the final three phases of Organizational Concepts, Constitution, and Practices as time allows.

In good Spirit,
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear TruthBook siblings,

As brother Slyde once observed, “If you take their money, you have to play their music…”

As I had suspected to begin with (but had hoped would not be the case), it has been brought to my attention that the 'Service With a Smile' category,
Quote:
A place to connect people, projects, experience and ideas and share service formulas.
indeed the entire TB Forums, is unable to accommodate any further sharing of a detailed service project by which human societies and cultures could be enriched in an enduring way with the ideals and teachings of the Fifth Epochal Revelation through socio-religious enculturation.

In this respect, therefore, your house is left to you, as I will continue such research and development on more amenable venues. My profile email remains available for private contact from anyone interested in seriously pursuing those goals and shared ideals of which I wrote.

Thanks to all who displayed kindness...

Vaya con Dios,
Michael