OBE - page 30 | Urantia Book Forum |

Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:10 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Well hello again David,

I feel your pain. You have recently expressed pretty much the same thoughts here before and I shall try to add some more ideas to assist your understanding.

As you note there's quite a lot in this 2097 page book. There is far more at this site than you CAN discuss as opposed to things which the site chooses not to cover.

The UB is full to overflowing with the things of the truth , beauty and goodness of God, His nature and relation to the universe, and the more or less complete story of our devine-human champion Jesus of Nazareth.

So do you really think you will have trouble coming up with things to talk about here?

But here is the limitation of this site: There are certain other movements in the world today which are making unusual pronoucements regaurding certain spiritual and superhuman (celestial) activities who have also tied their movements in with and/or onto the 5th Epocal Revelation which is The Urantia Book. Some things, everything or nothing that these groups are proclaiming may be true.....but it remains to be seen in public at this time.

The owners of this website do not believe in any of these movements so they choose not allow discussion of them in the OPEN forums however noting that many interested persons.....and UB readers do want to comment on these movements, and in an attempt to be fair, they created the private forum of Abner's to allow these discussions and or debates.......so really you can discuss anything you want to here so.....what's the problem again David? You may not find your personal viewpoint on this or that to be in the majority but so what? Is your viewpoint always the majority one everywhere you go? Where you work? Where you shop? Up and down your street?

And don't forget that this forum board is only one small portion of this website and an even smaller portion of the overall activities of the Jesusonian Foundation. Take another look around the homepage.

None of us here (regular members) have or get everything our own way.

Best reguards,

Woody in Georgia

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Howdy, ya'll.

David writes:
Quote:
I would like to say that I deem it better that a person fall in love with God than with a book.
I'd say that no one here would argue with this statement. But most of us would agree that UB is a very good statement about God's love.

Peace,
Arc

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted:  

Thanks to you both, Arcfixer and Woody. Dave (Davideo)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

I had an OBE back around 1969 or so. One evening I was reading a book which dealt with that subject and it said to chant OM MANE PADME OM, drawing out the sounds That night I went to bed and slept...then my cat wanted to go out, so I got up and let him out. As I returned to bed, I thought about what I had read, and decided to try it. I was awake. In my mind I said the chanting words given in the book, and almost immediately I felt myself lift off the bed so easily and lightly that I couldn't believe it. I floated up near the ceiling and it scared me that this was happening. I turned around and looked around the room....and thought that this wasn't so scary after all. Immediately I was back in my body, my heart pounding like crazy. I decided then and there I'd never try it again....and I haven't.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Great story, Gerry.
Mine is similar.

I don't know what the motivation was, what triggered my venture, but I found myself outside of myself, rising up into the ethers and as I looked around to see what area I might venture into, something recommended I go back, indicating that my work was not out there in space but on terra firma where I lived. It was not unlike a parent telling a teenager to clean up her room instead of driving around with friends who had nowhere in particular to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

But I wonder......if we're not supposed to travel out and about, then why are there books telling us how to do it? :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

First off, I want to qualify my response and say that just because I am not supposed to, doesn't mean other people aren't supposed to.

I know very little about Out of Body Experiences, Gerry, but I have heard that the military teach something called "remote viewing" wherein their men have been trained to venture into distant countries, go into buildings, rummage around for documents and bring back reports to their superiors (all in their minds, mind you). It sounds to me like a huge presumption, but it might well be something we could bank on.

Anything's possible. I just need to know that not everything is possible for me. Not, at least, in this one short life-time in the flesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hey Davideo

I've just read what you've had to say and to be honest, I think you might be over-analyzing a little. I see it the same way you see it, and im pretty sure most people here do also. We say Christ Michael because thats who he is, according to what we've chosen at least. But we also fully understand that he exists beyond, and is not limited to his name. We are personal creatures and we like to personalie and personify everything, it is human nature.

I dont think you shoud be getting offeneded by what seems to be offending you right now, we are not presribing doctrines of names and regulations and codes of sacred words. This is not what the UB is at all.

I must say i find it sad that you are unable to find comfort in the UB's words, but perhaps if you where willing to let go of your anger against religion you might just see that the UB has nothing to do with religions and doctrines. Infact Jesus Christ didnt belong to ANY religion, he never preached any doctrines, h only revealed truth in the person he was, and Revealed the Father to his Children. The fact that christianity has claimed Jesus Christ as their own is selfish and silly of them. Always remember that no Religion owns God, but many claim too.

We understand what you are saying, dont think we believe like doctrinal religious people, but isnt it nice to personalize what you believe ? whether it makes a difference or not. You are a personality after all, a finite mind trying to grasp the infinite.

Stick around dude, nowone here is a religious fanatic bent of sacred names and doctrines. Only truth experienced, and love gained.
Love
Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Another point re the relationship between
UB and religion.

One thing UB has done for me is to give me much greater respect for the imperfect thing we call 'government.' UB attests to the high value of Government. This, along with the development of Science, Industry, the Family are all of extraordinary value.

Religion is not so valuable that it renders gov., family, science, industry, art, etc relatively unimportant. All play a part as man evolves as a soul. Jesus did not encourage us to be religious nuts (which is almost a non-spiritual non-human thing).

He taught Fatherhood of God, Brotherhood of man, and the value of well-roundedness - among other essentials.

Post subject: OBE
PostPosted:  

Hi Arie,
While I can't remember ever having an OBE, I will tell you that very often, at least once a week, the dreams I have almost feel like I am living for a short period, in the lives of other people.

The details of these dreams are so real.

It's very strange. Not quite the OBE you described, but technically, I guess it would be out of body since I seem to be "experiencing" the sensation of being in another person's life for short time.

I know the Urantia Book speaks of our Thought Adjuster's sometimes leaving us while we sleep, I wonder if that is what is happening.

Jim Watkins

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Jim, I've read your recent post with interest - and reread the whole thread (Thanks to everyone who've participated so-far and sharing experiences). JoeZuke, your experience is the one to which I can relate entirely (with a few "variations on the theme"). And Bro Dave, thank you so much for listing those urls. To a great extent the discussions on Sleep Paralysis contained in your references cleared quite a bit of apprehension I've experienced for many, many years regarding this "phenomena".

The first time I've had this experience was while in the "army" (I think you call it the "military". I loaned a book from the library, Max Freedom Long's The New Huna Theory of Autosuggestion or Self-Hypnosis or something like that. In this book is an exercise for self-hypnosis, preferably just before retiring for the night ... and I was a very eager subject.

I woke sometime during the night, hearing and feeling something like an electric current flowing through my body, at the same time increasing in vibration - without being able to move, voice a sound, or able to open my eyes. The worst part was that I was awake and fully conscious. This experience occurred over and over, time and again, for many years, always accompanied by "visuals" (maybe hallucinations as they refer to it in the articles referenced by Bro Dave), which I won't dwell upon (though mighty interesting from my point of view) :wink: at present.

Quote:
Hypnagogic sensations are vivid dream-like experiences that occur as one is falling asleep or waking up. Accompanying sleep paralysis can cause the sensations to be more frightening. The features of these sensations generally vary by individual, but some are more common to the experience than others:

Most common

Vividness
Fear
Falling sensation

Common

Sensing a "presence" (often malevolent)
Pressure/weight on body (especially the chest or back).
A sensation of not being able to breathe
Impending sense of doom/death

Fairly common

Auditory sensations (often footsteps or indistinct voices, or pulsing noises).
Auditory sensations which are described as noise instead of sensations of distinct or comprehensible sounds are often described to be similar to auditory sensations caused by Nitrous Oxide by persons who have experienced both.
Visual sensations such as lights, people or shadows walking around the room

Less common

Floating sensations (sometimes associated with out-of-body experiences)
Seamless transition into fully immersive lucid dreaming, also associated with out-of-body experiences
Tactile sensations (such as a hand touching or grabbing)

Rare
Vibration
Involuntary movements (sometimes the feeling of sliding off the bed or even up walls).
The feeling of being pulled in different directions

I can relate 100% to the above-mentioned Wikkipedia quote. Since age 18/19 up till recently, I regularly experienced these "symptoms". But three separate incidents still have me wondering and scratching le head from time to time:-

1. Not so many years ago I was cavorting with list-members on a now defunct pagan-list for an hour or so. After retiring, I was laying on my left side, eyes closed, listening to the waves and seagulls, while at the same time rolling over in my mind the topic of that evening's discussion. I was fully awake, not asleep yet, when I felt my body starting to rock, sway, left-to-right, right-to-left, slowly, on-and-on. I was absolute intrigued with what was happening, and allowed myself just to go with the flow of the moment. Something akin to a "jolt" of "electricity" tried to "enter" into my crown and at the same time at the soles of my feet, once, twice, and all of a sudden my swaying body was engulfed in vibrations of another kind. I was aware of the vibration-decibels going higher and higher and the "vibes" getting all the more intense when all of a sudden I was moving forward with an incredible speed. I was very much aware that I refused to open my eyes - rather scared for what I might have observed all around me … when my body came to a halt, swaying slowly. I heard a voice to my left. Whether it was really audible or within my mind, I do not know. I just know that I've heard the voice loud and clear in my mother-tongue "Take the young man back, but be careful with him…" And all of a sudden, wooshhhh, there I moved with and incredible speed backwards, coming to rest in my body, swaying slowly like a pendulum until I finally came to rest and the vibrations eventually subsided.

2. Was sleeping with my Maltese-poodle, Tiffany, next to me when I experienced the same vibrations, suction motions, but this time aware of everything around me in the room while I find myself moving out of the body at a 45 dg angle - but Tiffany was trying to hold me back, and me trying to "whack" her away, fell back into my body.

3. The most recent experience: Same procedure as before, again laying awake with closed eyes when I found myself moving out of the body into a standing position on the bed with my head passing through the mosquito-net of the four poster. I was determined to go for the "lift-off" when I, all of a sudden, snapped back into the body.

These experiences started 30 years ago, and occurred regularly through this period, but it stopped sometime during May 2006.

The Stanford article:

Quote:
In some cases, while hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation.

How can I stop the sleep paralysis?

In severe cases, where episodes take place at least once a week for 6 months, medication may be used.

You may be able to minimize the episodes by following good sleep hygiene:

getting enough sleep
reduce stress
exercise regularly (but not too close to bedtime)
keep a regular sleep schedule

I did none of these - how could I? I never fully understood what was actually taking place. But one thing stands like pole above water: since I've become a reader of the Urantia Papers during May 2006, for the first time in decades I haven't had any of these nocturnal experiences up to this very moment.

I'm at peace with the Universe and myself. I've gained a new perspective through the knowledge available in TUPs. Hardly anything upsets me as of late. I'm a happy guy. The world appears differently to me, and even people whom I have allowed to upset me before, appears in a different light. All this I ascribe to the knowledge contained in that wonderful collection of Otherworldly Papers, and which I am presently internalising to the best of my ability.

Viva the Knowledge bestowed and revealed to Us All!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Please see my spiritual experiences at http://transcendentalists.org

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

OBE/UB INFO
Dear UBers,

OBE might be just what the doctor(within) has ordered via His helpers(angels on guardian duty). Let's look at a few UB topics we would have a hard time experiencing in order to proceed in the UB frame of expereinces starting with:

Matter, its make up-there's a lot of holes to slip through
Thought Adjusters abilities,
Gravity/free from gravity
Time
Space
Thought influences

and these are a few obvious UB topics hinted, some described, some explained as if just for intellect grasping. Now, realize UB info is wanted to be expereinced by us-not revealed like Calie dared to do, but expereinced. Caligastra screwed things up with revealing without experiencing. Might the OBEs on this and other sites be a way of first hand involvements?

Interesting to dwell upon....God is all knowing--God wishes to experience.
We can expereince.. Might this be what's happening???

Hugs , c

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Hugs,

You don't have a problem with anyone actually reading The Urantia Book themselves, do you? I am truly interested in your response as an American - freedom of religion and freedom of speech and all that jazz....

Name one loophole in the make-up of matter that you are referring to above. Thanks.

Caligastia did not reveal the personality of God because he was an "autistic" celestial - he could not experience God and does not believe that there is a God. As a matter of fact, Cal did not reveal much of anything to anybody that was real. Hence the millenias of darkness and confusion. All Cal actually DID was rape, pillage, and enslave the clueless locals.

Thanks for bringing up what you consider to be "spiritual" experiences. I certainly have no problem with you being completely free to find loopholes in matter and project yourself out into space. Please take photographs to share :smile:

Peace and love,
fetish

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Fetish,

Thank you for asking regarding the pictures. :roll: I believe the pictures, adapted for your interpretations, are available for free. However, your probable demand for something like Kodak or email scanned digitals may be frustrated by the picture producers. :( I have never asked for Hard copies, rather I have asked for additional interpretations regarding the flicks which often lead to more pics and adddional explainations by increased MANEFESTATIONS. :P

Regarding the space between mols, well it is there. Even Steel is not solid. O:)

Regarding the Hugs, it is a wish to you that you have the experiences of being embraced,... hugged by your TA,... Guardians..Celestrials who are assisting you as you accomplish the spiritual path you have chosen. :wink:

Hugs :arrow: in loving spirit, :smile:

c

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3