Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:39 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I may be a bit premature in writing this, having only read 1/4 to 1/3 of TUB so far. I started reading it with "suspending my disbelief" until I would have read it through. I decided just to read what it says and only after having understood it, I would check whether I consider it the Truth.

Well, only after a couple of hundred pages I realized that "this is really something". The more I read, the more it resonates with me. My background is that I was raised as a Christian (Lutheran), but did not really believe. In my twenties, the Gospel hit through and became a believer. However, about ten years of intensive fellowship with co-believers left me at a spiritual bankruptcy. I had to drop one the three: God, the congregation or my sanity. I decided to drop the congregation and along with that the Faith as I saw it - to follow God.

Quite a few years I floated around. While doing some internet searches, I encountered Wicca. Having heard about it (in the negative sense), I decided to check out how evil it actually was. To my big surprise it was not evil at all - instead it turned out that it was how I had believed myself as well. So I became a Wiccan.

I got acquainted with quite a few other neopagans and it turned out that the Pagan field of religion was actually a lot more multifaceted than I had realized. I learned about new neo-Pagan religions and also studied buddhism and hinduism very seriously. I digged deeply into shamanism, both traditional and Toltec teachings.

Every time I found something new I had a feeling that "this is it" - just to be disappointed again and again. So, I resigned just to be in a "quest for truth" for the rest of my life. Which wasn't that bad, after all. At least now I knew where I stood. :)

I had already seen TUB about 15 years ago and had even done some reading. Then I decided it was just filling a superfluous need to know "something more about Jesus' earthly life" along with a few pieces on how the administrative organization of the universe happens to work (seemed quite multileveled and bureaucratic to me. How wrong I was - but I did not know that until now!

Last November I got me an ebook reader and downloaded TUB to it. It made it possible for me to read TUB while commuting - the actual book would be too heavy for that. So I started reading.

Here are some individual points that come to my mind so far:

- TUB manages to synthetize Christianity, most branches of neopaganism, hinduism, taoism, buddhism and quite a few other religions. And it does not do it the human way - by taking the largest possible subset that is included in all those religions. Instead it actually creates a superset that the religions are a genuine subset of. And where there are differences, they can be seen as "erosion" throughout the years, commonplace with oral and even written traditions.

- As an example of the above, the Spirit of Earth, Tao, Mother Creator, Higher Self, and any other basic concept of any religion can be found in the universe that TUB describes - albeit with very different names. You just need to look through the terminology, to the actual concepts.

- The Thought Adjuster resonates with my personal experience throughout the years, being the almost unaudible voice of God, yet having had a huge effect on my life in the positive sense.

- The Spririt of Truth has time and time again shown me the right way, through a path that I would never have taken myself. Well, I did take it, with my free will, but I mean I would never have seen it beforehand even one single step ahead. However, it is exactly the path I would have chosen, had I seen where it lead me to!

- The "religion" that is painted in TUB is so much more than any human religion I have so far seen. It is like comparing the latest 3D color movies with high definition image and natural multichannel sounds to the first blurry black-and-white movies without sound. Or even more, as the words actually escape me.

- The change from dogma to values in religion is a similar jump as was from evolved religions to revealed religions.

- TUB makes me see all humans in the same boat, being all brothers, irrespective of the race, religion or other differences.

- TUB is difficult to read but not because it was written obscurely but because it tries to convey us many concepts that we do not have. Sometimes I need to read a verse 3-5 times before it sinks in, but when it does, it seems to be almost self-evident.

- TUB makes a lot of sense - although I never could have conceived the ideas in it, no matter how long I spent working on it.

- TUB gives me immense hope in the bright future that I have ahead as well as faith in God.

- TUB makes me realize that God is infitely more than what I had understood from the teachings of Christianity. TUB has helped me overcome the bad father relationship that I had, and see beyond that to understand God as our Heavenly Father.

And many more that just do not come to my mind now.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Whoa! I hear you loud and clear. You have expressed what's on my mind. Thank you, brother/sister.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
The "religion" that is painted in TUB is so much more than any human religion I have so far seen. It is like comparing the latest 3D color movies with high definition image and natural multichannel sounds to the first blurry black-and-white movies without sound. Or even more, as the words actually escape me.

- TUB makes a lot of sense - although I never could have conceived the ideas in it, no matter how long I spent working on it.

Awesome! I had a similar journey though maybe a little more compressed, I was catholic and then I became interested in New-Age, Buddhism, Oriental Philosophy. Than when I found Urantia Book and began reading it I was like THERE IS NOTHING comparable to what is being said in these page's anywhere! I couldn't even imagine a human being being able to put word's together with such intellegence let alone be able to give entirley new concept's that I haven't even imagined. I mean the task of creating all these new concept's and putting them into incredibly intellegent yet compressed form just blew my mind and it still blows my mind when I compare it to ordinary writing. I attended a University and every once in a while in my philosophy class I would steal urantia material and present it to the class as though it was my own hahaha and everyone in my classe's draw dropped like they had heard shakespeare hahaha I eventually stopped doing that but man just the material on its own is amazing. If people would just hear some of the things being said they would be amazed, unfortunetly they alway's want to know about who the author is before hand haha.

I remember bouncing around different religion's and I would alway's find similar belief's and similar concept's spread threw all the religion's and than I found a book where almost all of the concept's where completely new and than even the concepts that were not new were expressed in a way that I have never imagined possible. The concept's I find are all new. I remember when I started reading the book I began at the 3rd section of the book, because I figured earth's history was the easiest for me to understand.

I remember feeling guilty for abondoning jesus and god as well, but I felt pretty lucky to get a 2nd chance.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Great to hear your experiences....as was mine and that was 35yrs ago when I first read the pages of the Urantia Book..and have been reading ever since. I am home...

PostPosted:  

After having continued reading TUB, I have realized one more reason for seeing TUB as the Truth.

I have read a huge amount of books regarding self-realization, self-help and religion. Quite a few of the good ones have been great - in the beginning. Towards the end of the book I have started thinking how the book falls short or is inconsistent with itself. Having a critical attitude towards everything is very typical for me.

However, with TUB, things are different. I am still critical, but so far all my criticism or questions have been answered by the book itself. Most often in the next paper and sometimes even in the next section. As if the writers knew what the typical objections would be.

As others have said, it is amazing how coherent and unified view TUB can present. Having read the Bible twice, in two different languages, I find a lot to criticize in it. But not in TUB.

Yet, I don't fall in the trap of believing in TUB. I believe what is says and I believe in our heavenly Father and I believe that Thought Adjuster is a part of Him. However, TUB is only a map - even though an extremely good one. Our destiny is where it points to.

I think this underlines the importance of how TUB came to be. No named humans created it, and no other beings to revere except the Father. No heavenly revelation with drums and fireworks. The book simply came silently into being and became available for those who want to read it.

PostPosted:  

Dear pertti,

I like your characterization of TUB as a map....it is like that. Like a roadmap, or a blueprint. It gives valuable information - and much of that information can be practiced to see if it is really true. We accumulate personal experience with faith, with God, with Jesus, with our indweller, with angels...and when we gain that experience, it becomes easier to see that our destiny is probably true, too. We who have stepped out on that limb of exploration with TUB with a sincere and seeking heart are not disappointed...

So glad you shared your experiences, pertti. You are a great example of the truth-seeker who has sought and found.

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Quote:
However, with TUB, things are different. I am still critical, but so far all my criticism or questions have been answered by the book itself. Most often in the next paper and sometimes even in the next section. As if the writers knew what the typical objections would be.

I have had that experience soooo many time...blows my mind. I like you analogy too...reading is fine and understanding and love but we must put it into action...God loves a doer...

PostPosted:  

it's just so extremely well written.

pertti wrote:
I may be a bit premature in writing this, having only read 1/4 to 1/3 of TUB so far. I started reading it with "suspending my disbelief" until I would have read it through. I decided just to read what it says and only after having understood it, I would check whether I consider it the Truth.

PostPosted:  

Pertti !

You explained it so well.

Just the same what I wanted to tell all.

Thank you.

PostPosted:  

Aloha...I was raised Catholic and was never able to even step foot in another church...I left the church in my early 20's and visited and studied every church I could find...I then started studying eastern religions and was searching for my Guru...about the same time as the Beatles..lol...one day while laying in the sun at my Mom's house, thinking of God...a profound feeling came over me and the "voice" said....I am your Guru...and then knew that it was Jesus...Jesus is my Guru?...I was shocked and delighted. I even laughed...but now what...where to go...about 3months later I found the Urantia Book sitting quietly on a coffee table. I started reading in the quiet of the night and shook and cried... I was home...

PostPosted:  

It's always interesting to read these conversion stories. I wonder if anyone has ever attempted a "retention" study. Of those who start reading, how many continue? Of those who continue, how many become believers? Of those who become believers, how many stay for the long term?

I don't know how feasible such a study is, or if the findings would have any value. It's hard not to be curious though, given the scarcity of UB readers.

PostPosted:  

Only God knows...I do know that the UB in our small library has been taken out many times...as I have read here, many came across the book and only years later found it again and have stayed...some perhaps like the old saying goes...when the student is ready, the teacher will come.

PostPosted:  

We have billions of religious followers. But unselfish seekers of truth are hard to be found!

PostPosted:  

I wrote:

Well, only after a couple of hundred pages I realized that "this is really something". The more I read, the more it resonates with me.

-- clip --

And many more that just do not come to my mind now.

Having now read about 5/6 of TUB, I still maintain my original views. And can add even some more.

The most recent realization I had just yesterday was that:

1. I am not really a shining example of using willpower properly. This made me first very worried because I've understood that the main role of the human party is to will while the Thought Adjuster can tell how. If I don't do my part, the Thought Adjuster cannot do its.

2. However, then I realized that the only thing that really matters is that I love and trust the Mystery Monitor that God has given me. This is enough will from my part - the Mystery Monitor can do the rest, because I trust it to do it in our best interest. That gives it the chance to do its work and it will not fail.

Note, I use "it" to refer to the Mystery Monitor, not in a derogative sense, but to reflect the revelation made by TUB that the Thought Adjuster is prepersonal.

I know, in my heart, that one day the Mystery Monitor in me and I will become one entity, without any borders. For that, immense and deep mutual trust is required. Learning to trust it is my "job" in this world, and it is doing its best to help me in doing so.

PostPosted:  

AMEN

OUR First Jubilee IS One of Our 1st Steps eh

'' The first jubilee marked the mortal agreement with the Thought Adjuster when the purpose to survive was sealed; ''

27:7.8 After the attainment of the supreme satisfaction of the fullness of worship, you are qualified for admission to the Corps of the Finality. The ascendant career is well-nigh finished, and the seventh jubilee prepares for celebration. The first jubilee marked the mortal agreement with the Thought Adjuster when the purpose to survive was sealed; the second was the awakening in the morontia life; the third was the fusion with the Thought Adjuster; the fourth was the awakening in Havona; the fifth celebrated the finding of the Universal Father; and the sixth jubilee was the occasion of the Paradise awakening from the final transit slumber of time. The seventh jubilee marks entrance into the mortal finaliter corps and the beginning of the eternity service. The attainment of the seventh stage of spirit realization by a finaliter will probably signalize the celebration of the first of the jubilees of eternity.