Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:12 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I may be a bit premature in writing this, having only read 1/4 to 1/3 of TUB so far. I started reading it with "suspending my disbelief" until I would have read it through. I decided just to read what it says and only after having understood it, I would see whether I consider it the Truth.

Well, only after a couple of hundred pages I realized that "this is really something". The more I read, the more it resonates with me. My background is that I was raised as a Christian (Lutheran), but did not really believe. In my twenties, the Gospel hit through and became a believer. However, about ten years of intensive fellowship with co-believers left me at a spiritual bankruptcy. I had to drop one the three: God, the congregation or my sanity. I decided to drop the congregation and along with that the Faith as I saw it - to follow God.

Quite a few years I floated around. While doing some internet searches, I encountered Wicca. Having heard about it (in the negative sense), I decided to check out how evil it actually was. To my big surprise it was not evil at all - instead it turned out that it was how I had believed myself as well. So I became a Wiccan.

I got acquainted with quite a few other neo-Pagans and it turned out that the Pagan field of religion was actually a lot more multifaceted than I had realized. I learned about new neo-Pagan religions and also studied buddhism and hinduism very seriously. I also digged into shamanism, both traditional and Toltec teachings.

Every time I found something new I had a feeling that "this is it" - just to be disappointed again and again. So, I resigned just to be in a "quest for truth" for the rest of my life. Which wasn't that bad, after all. At least now I knew where I stood. :)

I had already seen TUB about 15 years ago and had even done some reading. Then I decided it was just filling a superfluous need to know "something more about Jesus' earthly life" along with a few pieces on how the administrative organization of the universe happens to work (seemed quite multileveled and bureaucratic to me. How wrong I was - but I did not know until now!

Last November I got me an ebook reader and downloaded TUB to it. This makes it possible for me to read TUB while commuting - the actual book would be too heavy for that. So I started reading.

Here are some individual points that come to my mind so far:
- TUB manages to synthetize Christianity, most branches of neopaganism, hinduism, taoism, buddhism and quite a few other religions. And it does not do it the human way - by taking the largest possible subset that is included in those religions. Instead it actually creates a superset that the religions are a genuine subset of.

- As an example of the above, the Spirit of Earth, Tao, Mother Creator, Higher Self, and any other basic concept of any religion can be found in the universe that TUB describes - albeit with very different names.

- The Thought Adjuster resonates with my personal experience throughout the years, being the almost unaudible voice of God, yet having had a huge effect on my life in the positive sense.

- The Spririt of Truth has time and time again shown me the right way, through a path that I would never have taken myself. Well, I did take it, with my free will, but I mean I would never have seen it beforehand even one single step ahead.

- The "religion" that is painted in TUB is so much more than any human religion I have so far seen. It is like comparing the latest 3D color movies with high definition image and natural multichannel sounds to the first blurry black-and-white movies without sound. Or even more, as the words actually escape me.

- The change from dogma to values in religion is a similar jump as was from evolved religions to revealed religions.

- TUB is difficult to read but not because it was written obscurely but because it tries to convey as concepts that we do not have. Sometimes I need to read a verse 3-5 times before it sinks in, but when it does, it seems to be almost self-evident.

- TUB makes a lot of sense - although I never could have concieved the ideas in it, no matter how long I spent working on that.

- TUB gives me immense hope in the bright future that I have ahead as well as faith in God.

- TUB makes me realize that God is infitely more than what I had understood from the teachings of Christianity. TUB has helped me overcome the bad father relationship that I had, and see beyond that to understand God as our Heavenly Father.

And many more that I just do not come to my mind now.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

the logic, the flow of the book, a reasonable explanation for all those strange bible issues like the apple, the myths in history, etc. many, many reasons why tub is truth. the big picture reality of all that exists, chariots of fire for elijah explained. a nice expanded version of what jesus actually said that sounds right and good.

pertti wrote:
I may be a bit premature in writing this, having only read 1/4 to 1/3 of TUB so far. I started reading it with "suspending my disbelief" until I would have read it through. I decided just to read what it says and only after having understood it, I would see whether I consider it the Truth.

Well, only after a couple of hundred pages I realized that "this is really something". The more I read, the more it resonates with me. My background is that I was raised as a Christian (Lutheran), but did not really believe. In my twenties, the Gospel hit through and became a believer. However, about ten years of intensive fellowship with co-believers left me at a spiritual bankruptcy. I had to drop one the three: God, the congregation or my sanity. I decided to drop the congregation and along with that the Faith as I saw it - to follow God.

Quite a few years I floated around. While doing some internet searches, I encountered Wicca. Having heard about it (in the negative sense), I decided to check out how evil it actually was. To my big surprise it was not evil at all - instead it turned out that it was how I had believed myself as well. So I became a Wiccan.

I got acquainted with quite a few other neo-Pagans and it turned out that the Pagan field of religion was actually a lot more multifaceted than I had realized. I learned about new neo-Pagan religions and also studied buddhism and hinduism very seriously. I also digged into shamanism, both traditional and Toltec teachings.

Every time I found something new I had a feeling that "this is it" - just to be disappointed again and again. So, I resigned just to be in a "quest for truth" for the rest of my life. Which wasn't that bad, after all. At least now I knew where I stood. :)

I had already seen TUB about 15 years ago and had even done some reading. Then I decided it was just filling a superfluous need to know "something more about Jesus' earthly life" along with a few pieces on how the administrative organization of the universe happens to work (seemed quite multileveled and bureaucratic to me. How wrong I was - but I did not know until now!

Last November I got me an ebook reader and downloaded TUB to it. This makes it possible for me to read TUB while commuting - the actual book would be too heavy for that. So I started reading.

Here are some individual points that come to my mind so far:
- TUB manages to synthetize Christianity, most branches of neopaganism, hinduism, taoism, buddhism and quite a few other religions. And it does not do it the human way - by taking the largest possible subset that is included in those religions. Instead it actually creates a superset that the religions are a genuine subset of.

- As an example of the above, the Spirit of Earth, Tao, Mother Creator, Higher Self, and any other basic concept of any religion can be found in the universe that TUB describes - albeit with very different names.

- The Thought Adjuster resonates with my personal experience throughout the years, being the almost unaudible voice of God, yet having had a huge effect on my life in the positive sense.

- The Spririt of Truth has time and time again shown me the right way, through a path that I would never have taken myself. Well, I did take it, with my free will, but I mean I would never have seen it beforehand even one single step ahead.

- The "religion" that is painted in TUB is so much more than any human religion I have so far seen. It is like comparing the latest 3D color movies with high definition image and natural multichannel sounds to the first blurry black-and-white movies without sound. Or even more, as the words actually escape me.

- The change from dogma to values in religion is a similar jump as was from evolved religions to revealed religions.

- TUB is difficult to read but not because it was written obscurely but because it tries to convey as concepts that we do not have. Sometimes I need to read a verse 3-5 times before it sinks in, but when it does, it seems to be almost self-evident.

- TUB makes a lot of sense - although I never could have concieved the ideas in it, no matter how long I spent working on that.

- TUB gives me immense hope in the bright future that I have ahead as well as faith in God.

- TUB makes me realize that God is infitely more than what I had understood from the teachings of Christianity. TUB has helped me overcome the bad father relationship that I had, and see beyond that to understand God as our Heavenly Father.

And many more that I just do not come to my mind now.

PostPosted:  

I think you will find that many UB students had somewhat similar experiences that led them to the UB. I really feel that you have to be seeking truth for the UB to find you. So many people are content with what they know that they are not responsive to the UB. As Jesus said in paper 167; The law of the universe is: Ask and you shall receive; seek and you shall find.

PostPosted:  

Dear Pertti, so many things you said about TUB I can relate you. Im glad for you that you found it. I know it changed my outlook and attitude, and thinking, and percieving, and just about everything else I do more than any other thing. Of course, the Spirit of Truth is really what enables us to be impacted in so many ways by it, and the Divine Adjuster makes that possible.

I was happy to hear you were so open-minded to TUB while beginning to read it.
I would encourage you to continue.

PostPosted:  

Like the Bible sais, when Jesus ascended up on high, he poured of His Spirit on all flesh. Yet some people resist the Spirit of God. In fact, I think the mind of Christ which Jesus' followers have is what the ub refers to as adjuster. The mind of Christ helps us love our neighbors even as Jesus loved us.

The new age doctrines in ub can be extremely confusing. I recommend going back to the Bible in order to get a sure foundation of sound doctrine. There are a lot of false teachings in the world, and without a biblical understanding, it is easy for people to become confused and decieved. In fact I believe there is enough truth in the Bible alone that anyone can be content with just that. But the Bible prophesies that the times will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, having itching ears, giving heed to doctrines of devils. But the truth in the Bible is an inexhaustible resource.

PostPosted:  

Well Liberated, to each his own. But as this is a Urantia Book site and discussion forum, I'm unsure of your point. Interesting you have found "sound" doctrine within the same scripture as hundreds of different doctrines claim your same source with little agreement as to what it says or what it means, especially given all the contradictions and primitivisms within. But, as you say, the Spirit resides in all and God and His truth are not found within any book at all, but by each believer. Move forward in faith and love and all will be revealed in the goodness of time. Perhaps you will come back this way again sometime......until then, we study the 5th Revelation itself and not a book about the third and fourth ones which came before it, which are also included in our Revelation along with the first and second.

But personal revelation needs no epochal revelation for the true heart and the truth seeking souls. So remain faithful and have courage in your love and all will be well. Peace.

PostPosted:  

deleted

Last edited by As-Above-So-Below on Fri May 10, 2013 4:12 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Yes God is Love, and the Spirit of truth was poured out on all flesh. The reason I make comments about false doctrine is because many people quote the Bible as a source of truth for a reason. It is truth. But also many people misuse it, as the serpent twisted the truth in the garden of Eden. But the word of God came to the prophets of old, and Jesus has both fulfilled the law and the prophets. When Jesus came, he told us the truth. Why should a new, eloquent "revelation" detract from the truth that was imparted to us when Jesus the Son of God came in the flesh?

By the way, the Lord condemns spirit mediumship, such as channeling (divination), and warns those who consult with familiar spirits. The Bible warns about those who are given up to worship the host of heaven. And why does tub call Gabriel, an angel, the Lord God of hosts? Gabriel is an angel. The Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is the Lord of hosts, whos name alone is Jehovah. He is the King of glory. The Lord of Hosts is His name.

So the reason I'm telling you about the Bible, is because I don't want you to be decieved. Jesus is the Son of God. Not the archangel. There is salvation in none other. Heaven is real. Hell is real. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Whoso has the Son of God has the Father also. Whoso has not the Son of God has not life.

But you can repent. Why enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season, decieveing and being decieved? If you are a truth seaker, have the courage to accept the truth that our fathers have known for thousands of years, and be zealous, and repent. Will you think not to fear God? Fear God. And keep his commandments. Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. The time is short. He that keeps God's commands is the one who loves God. Let all them that love not our Lord Jesus Christ be Anathema Maranatha. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

PostPosted:  

GOD IS LOVE 8)

NO Reason To FEAR GOD And His LOVE !

FEAR NOT My Brother

NO FEAR !

TRUST IN GOD

TRUST IN OUR LORD JESUS

ALL Things Work Together for Our Good