Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: LESS IS MORE
PostPosted:  

LESS IS MORE

I almost did a really good thing this week. I rose to the occasion, but thru a combination of over-enthusiasm and pride, shot myself in the foot.

See, a lady I know at work, her son got in an accident and is in a coma. So I resolved myself to have a little chat with her, to reassure her about where her son might be going.

So I looked her up at lunchtime. I knew she was hurting, bad, because I had talked to her some a couple days before. And I told her.

It went really well. I talked about the three levels of the human mind, subconscious, conscious and super-conscious. About the divine adjuster who lives inside of all of us. How the adjuster takes what is real in our lives and creates the soul. How after death, the soul, the personality and the adjuster are reunited in eternity. How death is just a door to open, a way to the other side. How she will see her son again, and how he will know her, and she will know him.

It was so real, so right.

So there I was… a son of God helping a daughter of God in a time of need. Doing the right thing. Doing it for her. And then it happened.

She asked: “So do you get this out of the bible or something?”

Now if Al was really doing this for her, he would have said; “Yeah, something like that”.

But NO! Al the boorish, egotistical fool had to step in and deliver a 15-minute rant on the Urantia Book. Had to go on and on (and on) about what it meant to HIM, how it affected HIS life.

Don’t get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with telling someone about the Urantia Book. But this was not the time or place. This was about my friend and her pain. It should have never been about me. I was doing so well. Then I blew it.

It did not really hit me until I got into my car on the way home from work. Then it hit like a load of bricks. WHY DID I HAVE TO GO AND LOOSE THE MESSAGE! I was do disappointed in myself. So disgusted.

I had a realization about what the Master did when he helped people… the message was as much in WHAT HE DID NOT SAY, as what he did say.

We only get so many chances in our short lives to really make a difference. I missed this one. I came close… I know I did some good…. But it could have been so much better.

I am just sharing this with you guys so you can learn from my mistakes. So the next time you get an opportunity to “pass bye”, you can remember to hold back a little. Not get lost in what this moment means for you… to really value the other person. To really love the other person. Because that’s what Jesus did.

Al

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Excellent Message Al! I and I'm sure many of us have learned that lesson through the same or similar way....the hard read. :smile:

Bless you brother. Thanks for sharing this educational experience. I'll remember that, “Yeah, something like that”. So innocuous, but so important to sharing what truth we can.
:o

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Sorry you ended up with a hole in your foot Al -- it's a tough way to learn a lesson, but your introspection is excellent even though it resulted in your pain and shame. All is not lost however... next time you see the woman, apologize for your insensitivity at a time when you had really wanted to be a help to her. Just let her know your zeal overpowered your good intention. You might find that the sum of good credits outweighs that of the bad.

Larry

Post subject: :)
PostPosted:  

Thanks for sharing that with us Al! Your an awesome person!!! It's very true that there are times and places for things. I often get confused on that one myself but only do things with the best of intentions.
I have a spiritual moment almost every month. I sell my art for the Brain Injury Association of Ga and although some people probably think that I do it for myself. I don't...I do it for the same reason you mentioned the Urantia Book to that woman. To help... I've had people who feel unwanted but who feel that they can share their stories with me because I can relate. Last Month....
I talked with a woman who I had known for awhile. Due to the fact that I have been through some things, she felt like it was alright that I would understand. She went on to tell me her worries at the moment, then started to cry. It made me feel so good to be able to hug her and let her know that everything will be alright.
I don't go into details of what I went through unless asked. I know what you mean Al. Plus, I will just let you know that the other night at the party that you held at your house.
I haven't been out in public that often. You were the only one who sat down and talked to me as an adult.Not saying that others weren't kind but you took the time to share the meaning behind the Urantia Book with me. After I let you know that I am a spiritual person. I needed someone to sit down and talk with me about spirituality.You also gave me a book to read and I'll let you know it may take me awhile to read but I will read it. Sentence by sentence if I have to. Thank you for being my friend.You have definitely touched my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
And yet, despite this very deep consciousness of close relationship with divinity, this Galilean, God's Galilean, when addressed as Good Teacher, instantly replied, "Why do you call me good?" When we stand confronted by such splendid self-forgetfulness, we begin to understand how the Universal Father found it possible so fully to manifest himself to him and reveal himself through him to the mortals of the realms. p2088:4 196:0.9

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Beautiful words, Iris. Thank you.
And thank you Changing, you have touched my life too.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p1221:8  111:6.1 Many of the temporal troubles of mortal man grow out of his twofold relation to the cosmos. Man is a part of nature—he exists in nature—and yet he is able to transcend nature. Man is finite, but he is indwelt by a spark of infinity. Such a dual situation not only provides the potential for evil but also engenders many social and moral situations fraught with much uncertainty and not a little anxiety.