Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:14 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Spiritual experiences
PostPosted:  

Greetings:

I have just registered here, and I am fascinated to talk to any people who have read The Urantia Book and can tell me more about it. I have just begun reading it. It seems to be broadly Christian, which gives me a difficulty because I am Muslim, but I shall read it anyhow. I look forward to chatting with you all further.

Abdullah

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Welcome. We are glad to have you on this message board and hope that you'll be patient with us. We have much to share.

William

Post subject: Response to William
PostPosted:  

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

15 Muharram 1428 AH, 3 February 2007 CE

Dear William, and other interested parties:

Unlike most of you, I am just now beginning to read The Urantia Book. As I read it further, I am sure that I shall have many questions. The fact that it is so large means that it will take me some time to read it, even though I am a fast reader, and will be reading it at the speed that I used when I was in graduate school and studying for the MA in History. But I shall post questions as they make themselves known to my mind whilst reading this interesting book. Right now, I am not sure what to think of the book. It is interesting, but this whole idea of outer space aliens communicating with us is still a bit weird for me to accept. Perhaps some of you can give me ideas that would help me settle this matter in my head.

Yours,
Jamison E. Painter, MA

Written in Sioux City, Iowa, United States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Abdullah,

You'll do fine -- you've already found it intriguing, you have plans to read it fast -- that's all that's necessary.

Yes, it's big, it can be complicated, it has concepts that will be startling and yes, it claims to be a revelation. Just read it, despite its claim and its origin; consider it an interesting work of science fiction or a work of superlative English literature if you like and don't be concerned with understanding it all the first time through. Feel free to ask questions here, but you'll find them all answered in your reading. It's written with you personally in mind; you really don't need us.

You may wish to keep a log or a diary to record your impressions as you read since the initial journey through the book is one of exceeding self discovery.

You've mentioned that it appears to be Christian in orientation. It's not. It's intended as much for Muslims as for Christians or agnostics or any believer or non-believer. Christians have as much a struggle with the concepts in the book as do any other group of readers.

Best wishes; enjoy the adventure.
Larry Watkins

PostPosted:  

Dear Larry:

I appreciate your response. However, it does automatically bring up another question for me. If I were to read it as science fiction, or English literature, how would one take the beliefs of the book seriously? It almost seems to me that I would have to read the book as a revealed text (comparable to the Qur'an, although as a Muslim I am obligated to assume that it is inferior to the Qur'an). What do I do with the parts of the text that are clearly VERY un-Muslim, like belief in the Trinity of Trinities, and things of that nature?

Let me ask a further question to anybody who wishes to reply. Do any of you consider the Book to be revelatory in nature, and do you believe in the teachings that it represents? Do you believe in some of the teachings, and not others?

I look forward to hearing your responses, as I am quite curious. I shall be online until 9:30 pm tonight (it is 5:33 pm now), so I shall be able to read anyone's reply, and respond forthwith.

Sincerely,
Jamison E. Painter, MA

Written in Sioux City, Iowa, United States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Hello Abdullah... and Welcome....

I am very happy that you have joined this board...

Please do read the book, you probably will faster than me, im quite new to it also...

Read with an open mind, and do ask all your questions here...

I will try to answer some of your queries here, but im just a begginer and may be wrong:

Quote:
It almost seems to me that I would have to read the book as a revealed text (comparable to the Qur'an, although as a Muslim I am obligated to assume that it is inferior to the Qur'an). What do I do with the parts of the text that are clearly VERY un-Muslim, like belief in the Trinity of Trinities, and things of that nature?

No the Urantia book is not viewed as the same as the Quran... The Quran as you are aware is believed (by Muslims) to be the Words of Allah / God spoken through Angel Jibrael to Muhammad (s.a.w.).... The Urantia book is not believed to be a revelation from God but from the cellestials... Your even more confused now.. O:) .. Although the Urantia book does talk of "The Trinity", In this book God has no equal partners, unlike in Christianity.....

I think i best leave this for the experienced readers of the Urantia book to explain better. O:)

Salaam

Love Sarah

PostPosted:  

Dear Sarah:

Thank you for your reply. I am sure that I will find the book quite interesting. I look forward to reading it. And I do understand that the book is not considered a revelation from God, but rather, from Celestial Beings, if you will.

You show that you have a good grasp of Islam. I am impressed, as most Americans do not. I look forward to chatting with you and others on this board. This could be a very enlightening place.

Sincerely,
Jamison E. Painter, MA

Written in Sioux City, Iowa, United States of America.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings, and a very warm welcome Abdullah! I have been reading the Urantia Book for over 30 years, and it continues to facinate me with it insights, and ability to put God's creation within a framework I am able to grasp.

No, it is not a "holy book". It is intended to clarify the truths that have been given mankind before, and broaden our understanding given our current ability to view that creation scientifically. We are at a crucial point where our planet is becoming globally interactive on a minute to minute basis, and our cultural differences are amplified by our religious misunderstandings. As you have been advised, Christians will have as many difficulties laying aside their misconceptions as any religions, but the entire message of "The Fatherhood of God, and the brotherhood of man", bridges all other religious tenents that seem to conflict. For me, the Urantia Book is the largest view we are currently capable of understanding. Withing those limits, it beautifully explains God, His Universe, its administration, and how we fit into it all. It is accepting of all religions, as each has some worthy truth, that could help all of mankind move forward spiritually. Our challenge is not to find "The One True Religion", but rather to learn from all religions, and extract the best each has to offer. Not too surpriusingly, this approach quickly reveals a Father God, who loves ALL his very different children, who should, as siblings, love each other, and their Creator Father.

Finally, I understand Larry's admonition of read the UB as something other than an authoritarian tome. The truths revealed in reading the UB, will unfold a breath taking view that is self justifying. If one begins reading with a deep skepticism biasing what is read, it will be more difficult to get an undistorted view. So, my advise would be to relax, and enjoy it! If some comcepts seem to challenge your current understanding, it is perfectly OK! No one is expected to accept every word. The wonderful conundrum (sp?) is that not challenging every word or concept, allows one the pleasure of watching the book make sense of it all!

Good Reading! :wink:

Bro Dave

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Last edited by Bro Dave on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:48 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Abdullah,

And thank you for your reply too Tasneem (and Bro Dave) -- your comments are always appreciated. The point Abdullah, is not what anyone here has to say about the book -- the book speaks for itself if you read it with an inquisitive spirit and receptive to truth. Why should it matter to you spiritually what anyone else believes about the book if you are inquisitive? We could be right or wrong as far as your own discernment is concerned. Our paths and our insights are our own. Reading it as a believer or as literature or as science fiction achieves the appropriate result -- it's the process of reading, not discussion or the beliefs of others that will provide what you seek.

On a personal note I discovered in 1975 and have been a student ever since. I believe it is what it claims to be and I believe its teachings are intended for all humanity, not one particular group but to every seeking person. It cuts through religions and dogma, revealing what it true, beautiful, and good giving us what we need in order to understand our world, ourselves, our God. Those are my beliefs arrived at through my own study but they can be of little value to you -- you'll have to arrive at your own conclusions.

Blessings,
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Abdullah,
God Bless You My Brother.
I myself Love "The Lord" But find it hard to call myself A Christian But I Love God & His FIRST Creation "Jesus Christ" :smile:
God Loves ALL & He Loves Those That Seek Him......"There Are Many Paths To Mecca" & One LOVING God.
I wewnt through pain Brother When I Challenged My Beliefs But Now I Love Allah & I Pray You Will Also Find The Truth For YOU.

PostPosted:  

Hello. I thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I shall read the book with an open mind, recognising that it does not claim to be the word of God, as the Qur'an (rightly) claims to be. If it can enlighten me to anything I shall consider the reading worth my while. Those parts that I can't agree with, I am not bound to accept. I can read it for what it is, and evaluate it, not as divine literature, but as a wealth of information. Does that sound right?

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Abdullah. How wonderful that you have begun reading the Urantia Book and what a blessing for all of us at this site that we can share in your studies. I was reared a Christian and many of the lessons I learned from studying the Bible as a child were supported with strength, and then gleefully enhanced from my studies of the Urantia Book. I pray you have similar joyful insights and personal discoveries.

I think you have it right. Begin reading for the wealth of information it contains and be open to what it reveals to your spirit. Enjoy the read and thank you for sharing your thoughts, comments and questions.

All the best, Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Abdullah,

Here is how I view 'revelations.'

Some Holy Books were revealed to man so that he could
know more of God's Will for His creatures.

The Holy Books include the Koran, Baha'i Scripture, Buddhist
Scripture, etc.

The Urantia Book is kind of a meta-religious revelation. It gives
invaluable information about the Universe, Divine Personalities,
early man, and so on. It discusses the earliest religions such as
stone worship, tree worship, etc. The Urantia Book discusses the place
of religion in developing man's consciousness. Part 4 gives religious
guidance and teachings,

For me, it is not an issue whether the Koran or other Holy Book
comes from the Voice of God Himself, from one of His Angels, or
from a Celestial Being. The Authority Itself comes eventually from
God the Father.

It is possible to be a follower of a Religion - and still be a student of
the Urantia Book. However, as I see ALL the religions as a 'progressive
path,' I have found most of my religious enthusiasm to be diffused.

The information in the Urantia Book takes away ALL fanaticism
found in various religious communities - since an INCLUSIVENESS
of the human family becomes the Focus.

Here are a few perpectives on religion.

As a member of Religion 'X,' I used to think my religion was the only RIGHT religion. All others were bad, false.

The next step was to accept the view ALL religions are divinely-inspired, and have a valid origin, a useful purpose. This way - I could be a member
of a religion, and respect others as 'true,' good.

As a Urantia Book student/believer, I can accept that many religions are valid, good, and come from on High. The World Religions serve to instruct man, to serve man as he serves God. As a Urantia Book student I may OR may not join a religious group. The Book gives me all I need in the way of instruction. The only thing lacking is being involved with a community religious group.

From the UB perspective, the idea of "being exclusive" seems a little retarded. There is something more righteous - finding Unity with all fellow human beings.........

PostPosted:  

In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

18 Muharram 1428 AH, 6 February 2007 CE

Greetings to all of you:

Having read and reviewed the posts in this thread, and having begun to read the Urantia Book, I am inclined to believe so far that I should indeed read it as revealed literature, but to a lesser degree than the Qur'an. The Qur'an is, as many of you have said, the revelation to Mohammed (peace be upon him) from Allah, spoken through the mouth of the Archangel Gabriel. The Urantia Book is, on the other hand, revelations from angelic beings, if that is the right word. I have begun reading the book, but it is not easy reading. The book itself is written in a philosophical manner, and it also has some rather odd vocabulary (morontial, and other words like that not previously known in English). So, it will take me a bit of time to get through it.

But I do appreciate all your posts. Please continue to post to me your thoughts on the Book, and on my posts to this board. Any and all commentary would be most welcome.

Jamison E. Painter

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Jamison,

Welcome to the board.

There are alot of concepts in the Urantia book that are hard to understand. The word morontia means soul. To make it easier, we all start as physical beings in this material world. When we die, we become citizens of the morontial world. In other words, our soul leaves our physical body and we go to the next world in a much lighter body, also called the soul.

Our experience Abdullah in this world as humans has always been one step at a time. We begin life as infants, then we slowly but surely acquire experience as toddlers, young children, pre-teens, teenagers, young adulthood, middle life, old age and death. Each one of these stages we meet little by little. We don't go from kindergarten to college to acquire a PHD.

Similarly, our transition from material being to soul being to spirit being takes place slowly but surely, step by step. Our journey to the Father takes eons of time because we need to transition step by step into various bodies until we become a fledgling spirit. Even then, we will go through many transitions as new spirits until we one day stand before the Father. Keep on reading Abdullah. This new knowledge will eventually take root.

Mr. Shakita

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next