Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:37 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I have been a pen-friend with a female inmate for several years. I recently introduced her to The Urantia Book, and she discovered the passage about soul-death. Now she is wondering whether she is soul-dead because her crimes include, among other things, attempted murder. I am wondering the same thing, but she is not the same person that she was when she committed these crimes; she has been seeking God in various systems of belief, and I have seen her change from a would-be killer to a truly penitent person who is turning her life around even behind those prison walls.

How can she know whether she is soul-dead or not? What should I tell her?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

The keys to the kingdom are sincerity, sincerity, and more sincerity. I would venture to say that her seeking, if genuinely motivated (i.e. not for show) should be enough evidence that her soul is extant and on its way Paradiseward.

PostPosted:  

God loves the sinner!! Sinning does not kill the soul. Or not quickly or easily anyway. To error is but human. To put self in favor of others is unfortunate error but not unusual either.

Does one have hope? Or regret or remorse? Guilt is an element of morality, not immorality. The soul grows of its own volition and consciousness of its connection to God or the Spirit within.

Big topic!!

There is a group of people - The Prisoner Inquiry Response Team - that's been sending Urantia Books to prisons and prisoners for decades. Perhaps your friend should have a book?

Prisoner Inquiry Response Team
PIRT graphicWhy We Do What We Do
“Dear PIRT, Thank you with all my heart for sending me The Urantia Book. I have been reading at every chance. Recently I noticed that I can breathe better; I don’t feel contempt, hated or hatred. Urantia changed me.” (written by an Inmate)

The Prisoner Inquiry Response Team (PIRT) is a sub-committee functioning under Urantia Association International’s Dissemination Committee. It was founded in December 2004 to take over the responsibility for answering inmate correspondence sent to the Urantia Foundation, freeing the Foundation for other work. Reader Services had been processing inmate letters/book requests for years when PIRT began operating in early 2005. This is when its first small group of volunteers formulated policy and procedures and it was off and running.

It all started over fifteen years ago when Liz (Engstrom) Cratty, of her own accord secured donations to seed 350 Urantia Books in the United States federal and state prison libraries. Soon thereafter the Urantia Foundation began receiving inmate requests for a personal copy of the book. Now after more than a decade of success in the United States, the first International PIRT Chapter was formed in 2016. PIRT’s Canadian Team is currently seeding Urantia Books in Canada’s prisons and we expect the same success to transpire in Canada as seen in the United States, and, we pray, eventually across the globe.

Since the inception of PIRT over 4,000 inmate letters have been processed in the United States and approximately 1,900 Urantia Books have been provided to those who seek truth, beauty and goodness who are confined in the darkest places on the planet, our prisons. Many of the books provided to inmates have been slightly damaged books that were returned to Urantia Foundation by bookstores and then made available to PIRT. Many more have been made possible through reader donations.

Regardless of the condition of the books sent, the feedback from the recipients has been tremendous. We have received several hundred sincere letters of gratitude from inmates who testify that The Urantia Book is life-changing, inspirational, and answers many of the questions that linger regarding the nature of the Deities, the cosmos, our planetary history and the marvelous teachings of Christ Michael.

Our hope is that these revelatory teachings will work to transform these individuals and reap untold benefits once they’ve served their terms and are returned to civil society. We’re happy to announce that these new Urantia Book students are spreading the word to friends, family, prison guards, administrators and chaplains as well.

Over the years we have often been asked why so much time and energy is being devoted to prisoners. Are we not casting pearls before swine? In response to these types of questions we refer the reader to Jesus’ own admonition to his Apostles:

“And mark well my words: I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners. The Son of Man came not to be ministered to, but to minister and to bestow his life as the gift for all. I declare to you that I have come to seek and to save those who are lost.” [The Urantia Book, paper 157:6.9, page 1750.3] [The Bible: cf. Matt. 9:13b; Mark 2:17; Luke 5:32, 19:10]

This is the service PIRT endeavors to foster and carry forward, to minister to those who sit in darkness and to offer them the saving truths of the Fifth Epochal Revelation. Jesus was adamant that he was here to seek out the sinners to welcome the prodigal son’s return and save the lost sheep.

Contact: David at [email protected] or Myra at [email protected]

Bradly 8)

PostPosted:  

You can't know the soul is dead. You can only know the soul is alive.

Read paper 5:5.14, "The ability of mortal parents to procreate is not predicated on their educational, cultural, social, or economic status. The union of the parental factors under natural conditions is quite sufficient to initiate offspring. A human mind discerning right and wrong and possessing the capacity to worship God, in union with a divine Adjuster, is all that is required in that mortal to initiate and foster the production of his immortal soul of survival qualities if such a spirit-endowed individual seeks God and sincerely desires to become like him, honestly elects to do the will of the Father in heaven.

Remember this, we are not made spiritual by our rejection of evil but by our wilful embrace of the Father and his righteousness.

Jim

PostPosted:  

The closest analog to my friend's experience is the story of Cain and Abel. Cain murdered Abel, but he later had a change of heart and was then indwelt by a Thought Adjuster. It is an encouraging story for those who have made similar mistakes. However, Cain was not indwelt by an Adjuster until after the crime and his change of heart. Does this mean that he did not have a soul prior to the arrival of the Adjuster?

PostPosted:  

What makes the situation anything like Cain? Before the gift of the Spirit of Truth the Thought Adjuster and birth of soul was different for everyone based on particular spiritual progress. For 2000 years now, the soul is born and TA arrives about age 6 for all of us.

Birth of soul is much easier today. So soul is born by our first moral choice as children now. Not so during Cain and Abel's day. But yes, pretty sure TA arrived with soul. Human mind and TA are the parents of soul...as I understand.

PostPosted:  

The similarity is in the nature of the crimes and the motives behind them. If Cain could be forgiven, then my friend can be forgiven, too.

I have found a relevant passage that I will show to my friend:

"Mortal man may draw near God and may repeatedly forsake the divine will so long as the power of choice remains. Man’s final doom is not sealed until he has lost the power to choose the Father’s will." 5:1.11 (64.2)

Cain did not lose his power to choose the Father's will, and apparently, neither has my friend. The loss of the power to choose the Father's will might be the answer to her question about whether she has experienced spiritual or soul death.

What do you think?

PostPosted:  

Very relevant quote. It is never too late for any mortal to redeem themselves by their freewill choices, motives, intentions, and priorities.

The Devil himself can be forgiven and mercy is extended.

111:1.3 (1216.4) Material mind is the arena in which human personalities live, are self-conscious, make decisions, choose God or forsake him, eternalize or destroy themselves.

111:1.4 (1216.5) Material evolution has provided you a life machine, your body; the Father himself has endowed you with the purest spirit reality known in the universe, your Thought Adjuster. But into your hands, subject to your own decisions, has been given mind, and it is by mind that you live or die. It is within this mind and with this mind that you make those moral decisions which enable you to achieve Adjusterlikeness, and that is Godlikeness.

111:1.6 (1217.1) Mind is the cosmic instrument on which the human will can play the discords of destruction, or upon which this same human will can bring forth the exquisite melodies of God identification and consequent eternal survival. The Adjuster bestowed upon man is, in the last analysis, impervious to evil and incapable of sin, but mortal mind can actually be twisted, distorted, and rendered evil and ugly by the sinful machinations of a perverse and self-seeking human will. Likewise can this mind be made noble, beautiful, true, and good—actually great—in accordance with the spirit-illuminated will of a God-knowing human being.

111:1.9 (1217.4) Mind is your ship, the Adjuster is your pilot, the human will is captain. The master of the mortal vessel should have the wisdom to trust the divine pilot to guide the ascending soul into the morontia harbors of eternal survival. Only by selfishness, slothfulness, and sinfulness can the will of man reject the guidance of such a loving pilot and eventually wreck the mortal career upon the evil shoals of rejected mercy and upon the rocks of embraced sin. With your consent, this faithful pilot will safely carry you across the barriers of time and the handicaps of space to the very source of the divine mind and on beyond, even to the Paradise Father of Adjusters.

111:2.2 (1217.6) The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster threads the spirit patterns of a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings—a surviving soul of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter.

111:2.3 (1218.1) The human personality is identified with mind and spirit held together in functional relationship by life in a material body. This functioning relationship of such mind and spirit does not result in some combination of the qualities or attributes of mind and spirit but rather in an entirely new, original, and unique universe value of potentially eternal endurance, the soul.

111:2.4 (1218.2) There are three and not two factors in the evolutionary creation of such an immortal soul. These three antecedents of the morontia human soul are:

111:2.5 (1218.3) 1. The human mind and all cosmic influences antecedent thereto and impinging thereon.

111:2.6 (1218.4) 2. The divine spirit indwelling this human mind and all potentials inherent in such a fragment of absolute spirituality together with all associated spiritual influences and factors in human life.

111:2.7 (1218.5) 3. The relationship between material mind and divine spirit, which connotes a value and carries a meaning not found in either of the contributing factors to such an association. The reality of this unique relationship is neither material nor spiritual but morontial. It is the soul.

8)

"Mercy": https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
You can't know the soul is dead. You can only know the soul is alive.

Read paper 5:5.14, "The ability of mortal parents to procreate is not predicated on their educational, cultural, social, or economic status. The union of the parental factors under natural conditions is quite sufficient to initiate offspring. A human mind discerning right and wrong and possessing the capacity to worship God, in union with a divine Adjuster, is all that is required in that mortal to initiate and foster the production of his immortal soul of survival qualities if such a spirit-endowed individual seeks God and sincerely desires to become like him, honestly elects to do the will of the Father in heaven.

Remember this, we are not made spiritual by our rejection of evil but by our wilful embrace of the Father and his righteousness.

Jim

Hi Jim,

One of the biggest comforts that I found provided by the Fifth Epochal Revelation is that when you have your day in court, so to speak, the "Judge" is who knows you best - the Thought Adjuster. You can't bs that Judge. :-)

Yes, there are numerous passages to be hunted down in the UB - ie. personal angels providing their testimony - that can spin out into months of discussion until you don't even know what the original TRUTH was that someone was excited enough to share on this website....

but none of that matters because the Creator Father's LOVE knows - perfectly - who you are since your bona-fide, imperfect, changeless Personality was his gift to you - "only a person can love and be loved"....

"It is my will that your will be done" - the pursuit of happiness :-)

Kind regards,
Student

PostPosted:  

urantiangirl wrote:
The similarity is in the nature of the crimes and the motives behind them. If Cain could be forgiven, then my friend can be forgiven, too.

I have found a relevant passage that I will show to my friend:

"Mortal man may draw near God and may repeatedly forsake the divine will so long as the power of choice remains. Man’s final doom is not sealed until he has lost the power to choose the Father’s will." 5:1.11 (64.2)

Cain did not lose his power to choose the Father's will, and apparently, neither has my friend. The loss of the power to choose the Father's will might be the answer to her question about whether she has experienced spiritual or soul death.

What do you think?

Hi Urantiangirl,

"Man's final doom is not sealed until he has lost the power to choose the Father's will"

So what is going on in the world when so many people explain their actions with the excuse - "I had no choice"....?