Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: "The Warrior Spirit"
PostPosted:  

In my Christian past the folks I fellowshipped with often referred to and glamourized "The Christian Warrior" image. I preached it myself, wrote songs about it and made music videos promoting it.
However because of the transformation of my mentality and spirit after encountering The Urantia Book I no longer subscribe to that mindset. I don't have the Urantia quotes to back up my rejection of that particular aspect of evangelical Christianity, but the idea that we are warring against anything doesn't seem to jive with my view of spiritual realities. It is a challenge to grow spiritually and rejection and abandon of unworthy values can be a drawn out process at times and we battle with choosing our own desires and goals but the whole armor of God concept grates at something in me. Could someone shine a little light on my path here? Thanks

P.S. This question applies also to the present End Time crowd, who consider themselves the Remnant and taking up arms against the antichrist and all that bally-hoo

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: "The Warrior Spirit"
PostPosted:  

Personally I've always consider the Master to be a Truth Warrior who exemplified human courage and loyalty! It is one of the 7 Adjutants - the Spirit of Courage!

"Courage":

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

36:5.8 (402.5) 3. The spirit of courage—the fidelity endowment—in personal beings, the basis of character acquirement and the intellectual root of moral stamina and spiritual bravery. When enlightened by facts and inspired by truth, this becomes the secret of the urge of evolutionary ascension by the channels of intelligent and conscientious self-direction.

178:1.14 (1931.5) You are not to be passive mystics or colorless ascetics; you should not become dreamers and drifters, supinely trusting in a fictitious Providence to provide even the necessities of life. You are indeed to be gentle in your dealings with erring mortals, patient in your intercourse with ignorant men, and forbearing under provocation; but you are also to be valiant in defense of righteousness, mighty in the promulgation of truth, and aggressive in the preaching of this gospel of the kingdom, even to the ends of the earth.

Me here: I think the promotion of truth and hope and idealism can never be truly or effectively presented by the weapons of fear or anger or blame. But the image of being a warrior of truth and justice and hope and peace finds its greatest example in Jesus I believe. But I can think of many others who's convictions and loyalties were presented in the face of enemies and personal destruction. So many human heroes with the Warrior Spirit!!

It is a great error to believe Jesus or so many truth warriors and heroes in history were passive or passivists. They were non-violent warriors!!

8)

143:1.2 (1607.4) A question asked by Philip was typical of their difficulties. Said Philip: “Master, these Greeks and Romans make light of our message, saying that such teachings are fit for only weaklings and slaves. They assert that the religion of the heathen is superior to our teaching because it inspires to the acquirement of a strong, robust, and aggressive character. They affirm that we would convert all men into enfeebled specimens of passive nonresisters who would soon perish from the face of the earth. They like you, Master, and freely admit that your teaching is heavenly and ideal, but they will not take us seriously. They assert that your religion is not for this world; that men cannot live as you teach. And now, Master, what shall we say to these gentiles?”

143:1.3 (1607.5) After Jesus had heard similar objections to the gospel of the kingdom presented by Thomas, Nathaniel, Simon Zelotes, and Matthew, he said to the twelve:

143:1.4 (1608.1) “I have come into this world to do the will of my Father and to reveal his loving character to all mankind. That, my brethren, is my mission. And this one thing I will do, regardless of the misunderstanding of my teachings by Jews or gentiles of this day or of another generation. But you should not overlook the fact that even divine love has its severe disciplines. A father’s love for his son oftentimes impels the father to restrain the unwise acts of his thoughtless offspring. The child does not always comprehend the wise and loving motives of the father’s restraining discipline. But I declare to you that my Father in Paradise does rule a universe of universes by the compelling power of his love. Love is the greatest of all spirit realities. Truth is a liberating revelation, but love is the supreme relationship. And no matter what blunders your fellow men make in their world management of today, in an age to come the gospel which I declare to you will rule this very world. The ultimate goal of human progress is the reverent recognition of the fatherhood of God and the loving materialization of the brotherhood of man.

143:1.5 (1608.2) “But who told you that my gospel was intended only for slaves and weaklings? Do you, my chosen apostles, resemble weaklings? Did John look like a weakling? Do you observe that I am enslaved by fear? True, the poor and oppressed of this generation have the gospel preached to them. The religions of this world have neglected the poor, but my Father is no respecter of persons. Besides, the poor of this day are the first to heed the call to repentance and acceptance of sonship. The gospel of the kingdom is to be preached to all men—Jew and gentile, Greek and Roman, rich and poor, free and bond—and equally to young and old, male and female.

143:1.6 (1608.3) “Because my Father is a God of love and delights in the practice of mercy, do not imbibe the idea that the service of the kingdom is to be one of monotonous ease. The Paradise ascent is the supreme adventure of all time, the rugged achievement of eternity. The service of the kingdom on earth will call for all the courageous manhood that you and your coworkers can muster. Many of you will be put to death for your loyalty to the gospel of this kingdom. It is easy to die in the line of physical battle when your courage is strengthened by the presence of your fighting comrades, but it requires a higher and more profound form of human courage and devotion calmly and all alone to lay down your life for the love of a truth enshrined in your mortal heart.

143:1.7 (1608.4) “Today, the unbelievers may taunt you with preaching a gospel of nonresistance and with living lives of nonviolence, but you are the first volunteers of a long line of sincere believers in the gospel of this kingdom who will astonish all mankind by their heroic devotion to these teachings. No armies of the world have ever displayed more courage and bravery than will be portrayed by you and your loyal successors who shall go forth to all the world proclaiming the good news—the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of men. The courage of the flesh is the lowest form of bravery. Mind bravery is a higher type of human courage, but the highest and supreme is uncompromising loyalty to the enlightened convictions of profound spiritual realities. And such courage constitutes the heroism of the God-knowing man. And you are all God-knowing men; you are in very truth the personal associates of the Son of Man.”

PostPosted:  

Thanks FanofVan for the good quotes and I am, of course, in agreement although I think perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my question.

It's the image of angels with swords and armor fighting Satan and his demons, etc. etc. and the Onward Christian Soldiers type of ideal that I question, although I totally agree that the Master was not a passiveist namby-pamby type.

It's desirable to be heroic and face and overcome adversity and opposition, materialism and carnal mindedness in our mortal existence, even the supreme mandate of "Be you perfect even as I am perfect" requires us to overcome many things.

One of my favorite quotes is May Sarton's "One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being" and that requires courage and daring and an active stance for the truth of the Jesusonian gospel, but yes, with Jesus as the example and not a bloody gladiator defeating evil.

Anyway, that is what I was trying to say, and thanks for the inspiring and uplifting quotes!

PostPosted:  

I appreciate your post, points, and the distinction!!

I think us truth warriors need to fiercely oppose fear and fear mongers and spread good cheer and hope and encouragement and humor as we pass by in God’s friendly universe!!! To be valiant and relentless in sharing truth, beauty, and goodness is a caring thing to do... and be.

:wink: :biggrin:

97:2.1 (1064.2) In the tenth century before Christ the Hebrew nation became divided into two kingdoms. In both of these political divisions many truth teachers endeavored to stem the reactionary tide of spiritual decadence that had set in, and which continued disastrously after the war of separation. But these efforts to advance the Hebraic religion did not prosper until that determined and fearless warrior for righteousness, Elijah, began his teaching. Elijah restored to the northern kingdom a concept of God comparable with that held in the days of Samuel. Elijah had little opportunity to present an advanced concept of God; he was kept busy, as Samuel had been before him, overthrowing the altars of Baal and demolishing the idols of false gods. And he carried forward his reforms in the face of the opposition of an idolatrous monarch; his task was even more gigantic and difficult than that which Samuel had faced.

97:2.2 (1064.3) When Elijah was called away, Elisha, his faithful associate, took up his work and, with the invaluable assistance of the little-known Micaiah, kept the light of truth alive in Palestine.

PostPosted:  

Hi pethuel!

I grokked into the "spiritual warrior" motif when I was younger, but my version was all about self-mastery, attention, and "inner" struggles. Castenada was an influence - the "impeccable warrior" idea.

I think we grow through these experiences and transcend them with God's help.