Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:23 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:03 am +0000
Posts: 2254
Location: US
.

Do you believe it wise to promote the idea that all Urantia could and should become garden-like?

Attachment:
G1 TB.png
G1 TB.png [ 293.05 KiB | Viewed 2668 times ]


Attachment:
G2 TB.png
G2 TB.png [ 122.93 KiB | Viewed 2668 times ]


.

_________________
Richard E Warren


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 pm +0000
Posts: 1166
Location: Nanticoke NY
Rick Warren, I think we need to focus on farming with the seeds that we've got. If the Garden of Adam-Amadon is discovered, then the benefit of that discovery could remain private and put into the wrong hands, i.e. "not purposed for recultivation and eventual distribution to the proletariat."

_________________
to the Underlaying Unity of All Life so that the Voice of Intuition may guide Us closer to Our Common Keeper


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:52 am +0000
Posts: 1037
Stephen,
Can you provide a source for the quote you referenced in your post above?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 am +0000
Posts: 4430
I believe Stephen quotes himself....frequently. But let us see and verify his 'attribution' of the alleged quotation to another source (any source at all) and any context whatsoever....

:?: :idea: :!:


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:52 am +0000
Posts: 1037
Indeed, I suspect the same. But then, why doesn't he put quotes around his entire post, and in fact, every word he writes on here? The correct use of quote marks is a courtesy that can and should be expected of anyone who uses the written word as the only means of communicating, such is on an online forum such as this. This is not a kindergarten class.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:52 am +0000
Posts: 1037
rick warren wrote:
.

Do you believe it wise to promote the idea that all Urantia could and should become garden-like?


I guess I'd need to understand what you mean by "garden-like", in order to answer your question. From the diagrams that your post provides, I see areas devoted to education/ learning; flora and fauna; dwelling places; places of worship; administration (business, governance); national security infrastructure; and agriculture.

What is missing? Jails. Hospitals. Emergency response functions. Commercial and industrial sites. At this point in time, our civilization requires those things but, honestly, if we evolved to the point of not needing any of those things I just listed, I'd be fine with that. Garden-like (as illustrated by those diagrams) sounds rather heavenly.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:03 am +0000
Posts: 2254
Location: US
Agon D. Onter wrote:
rick warren wrote:
.

Do you believe it wise to promote the idea that all Urantia could and should become garden-like?


I guess I'd need to understand what you mean by "garden-like", in order to answer your question. From the diagrams that your post provides, I see areas devoted to education/ learning; flora and fauna; dwelling places; places of worship; administration (business, governance); national security infrastructure; and agriculture.

What is missing? Jails. Hospitals. Emergency response functions. Commercial and industrial sites. At this point in time, our civilization requires those things but, honestly, if we evolved to the point of not needing any of those things I just listed, I'd be fine with that. Garden-like (as illustrated by those diagrams) sounds rather heavenly.


Appreciate the thoughtful reply, Agon. Visiting Holland a couple of years back, I saw what a country dedicated to beautification could be like. All the Earth could be that way, just a matter of the unification of wills, guided teamwork. Of course we need schools, hospitals, fire stations, shops, and airports, but nothing precludes them from incorporating beauty into their workplaces.

This quote should draw the best from us, when reflecting on the Edenization of Urantia. It only took 80 years of intelligent direction from Van and Amadon.

73:5.8 (825.5) Although the work of embellishment was hardly finished at the time of Adam’s arrival, the place was already a gem of botanic beauty; and during the early days of his sojourn in Eden the whole Garden took on new form and assumed new proportions of beauty and grandeur.
Never before this time nor after has Urantia harbored such a beautiful and replete exhibition of horticulture and agriculture.

_________________
Richard E Warren


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:07 am +0000
Posts: 981
rick warren wrote:
Do you believe it wise to promote the idea that all Urantia could and should become garden-like?


Absolutely. But building gardens takes investments of time and resources. The fast developing areas I work near are meagerly embellished with greenery. I think it's a question of values. The founders of industry and community leaders determine how much investment will be done to beautify the common areas we live or work in. Their determinations are probably based on their personal and collective values.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:03 am +0000
Posts: 2254
Location: US
Riktare wrote:
rick warren wrote:
Do you believe it wise to promote the idea that all Urantia could and should become garden-like?


Absolutely. But building gardens takes investments of time and resources. The fast developing areas I work near are meagerly embellished with greenery. I think it's a question of values. The founders of industry and community leaders determine how much investment will be done to beautify the common areas we live or work in. Their determinations are probably based on their personal and collective values.


I think you've nailed the core solution, Riktare. At the bottom of those values is materialistic utilitarianism, ugly, unadorned, and intended to be no more than functional. We could be and do soo much better incorporating beauty and utility.


.

_________________
Richard E Warren


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 pm +0000
Posts: 48
Sadly, we do not live in an era where art, beauty and aesthetics are much appreciated and sought after, except of course in a superficial and materialistic way, which I believe corresponds to our natural urges which still govern much of what we do, think and feel. Having said that, I am pleased to see that more and more people are becoming interested in botanology and the keeping of plants. It seems that man still hasn't lost his need for contact with nature or alienated himself from it. Though I am not at all knowledgeable in architecture and urbanology, biophilic design has been gaining more and more popularity, especially in countries where there is a favorable climate and a traditional affinity to plants like Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam etc.

In Germany, where I live, and generally in Europe, considerable attention is given to green areas such as parks or even wild forests in the cities. Unfortunately, Athens, my hometown, is not famous for its green spaces or even its architecture. In contrast to its past glory, modern Athens, is comprised mainly of concrete buildings that are constructed strictly to be useful. During the first three quarters of the 20th century, most of the historical centre of Athens with its neoclassical architecture was demolished and replaced with concrete buildings resembling the style of brutalism. Fortunately, the outskirts of the city (which thankfully are not yet completely burned down by wildfires, often caused on purpose by individuals for whatever sinister and selfish reasons) are mountainous areas of much natural beauty.

I personally dream of cities that take advantage of the dimension of height so that more areas can be left free and open for artistic beautification and natural embellishment. I envision architectural designs characterized by elegant minimalism and fluidity that either complement or contrast their natural and/or artificial surroundings. Ideally, a city should feel open and welcoming, not claustrophobic. Open horizons come to my mind...

Quote:
55:5.3 (629.12) The economic, social, and administrative status of these worlds is of a high and perfected order. Science, art, and industry flourish, and society is a smoothly working mechanism of high material, intellectual, and cultural achievement. Industry has been largely diverted to serving the higher aims of such a superb civilization. The economic life of such a world has become ethical.

55:5.4 (630.1) War has become a matter of history, and there are no more armies or police forces. Government is gradually disappearing. Self-control is slowly rendering laws of human enactment obsolete. The extent of civil government and statutory regulation, in an intermediate state of advancing civilization, is in inverse proportion to the morality and spirituality of the citizenship.

55:5.5 (630.2) Schools are vastly improved and are devoted to the training of mind and the expansion of soul. The art centers are exquisite and the musical organizations superb. The temples of worship with their associated schools of philosophy and experiential religion are creations of beauty and grandeur. The open-air arenas of worship assembly are equally sublime in the simplicity of their artistic appointment.

55:5.6 (630.3) The provisions for competitive play, humor, and other phases of personal and group achievement are ample and appropriate. A special feature of the competitive activities on such a highly cultured world concerns the efforts of individuals and groups to excel in the sciences and philosophies of cosmology. Literature and oratory flourish, and language is so improved as to be symbolic of concepts as well as to be expressive of ideas. Life is refreshingly simple; man has at last co-ordinated a high state of mechanical development with an inspiring intellectual attainment and has overshadowed both with an exquisite spiritual achievement. The pursuit of happiness is an experience of joy and satisfaction.


Simplicity seems to me to be a virtue and a concept worthy of further study and pursuit.

Alexandros


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:03 am +0000
Posts: 2254
Location: US
Komposer wrote:
Sadly, we do not live in an era where art, beauty and aesthetics are much appreciated and sought after, except of course in a superficial and materialistic way, which I believe corresponds to our natural urges which still govern much of what we do, think and feel. Having said that, I am pleased to see that more and more people are becoming interested in botanology and the keeping of plants. It seems that man still hasn't lost his need for contact with nature or alienated himself from it. Though I am not at all knowledgeable in architecture and urbanology, biophilic design has been gaining more and more popularity, especially in countries where there is a favorable climate and a traditional affinity to plants like Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam etc.

In Germany, where I live, and generally in Europe, considerable attention is given to green areas such as parks or even wild forests in the cities. Unfortunately, Athens, my hometown, is not famous for its green spaces or even its architecture. In contrast to its past glory, modern Athens, is comprised mainly of concrete buildings that are constructed strictly to be useful. During the first three quarters of the 20th century, most of the historical centre of Athens with its neoclassical architecture was demolished and replaced with concrete buildings resembling the style of brutalism. Fortunately, the outskirts of the city (which thankfully are not yet completely burned down by wildfires, often caused on purpose by individuals for whatever sinister and selfish reasons) are mountainous areas of much natural beauty.

I personally dream of cities that take advantage of the dimension of height so that more areas can be left free and open for artistic beautification and natural embellishment. I envision architectural designs characterized by elegant minimalism and fluidity that either complement or contrast their natural and/or artificial surroundings. Ideally, a city should feel open and welcoming, not claustrophobic. Open horizons come to my mind...

Quote:
55:5.3 (629.12) The economic, social, and administrative status of these worlds is of a high and perfected order. Science, art, and industry flourish, and society is a smoothly working mechanism of high material, intellectual, and cultural achievement. Industry has been largely diverted to serving the higher aims of such a superb civilization. The economic life of such a world has become ethical.

55:5.4 (630.1) War has become a matter of history, and there are no more armies or police forces. Government is gradually disappearing. Self-control is slowly rendering laws of human enactment obsolete. The extent of civil government and statutory regulation, in an intermediate state of advancing civilization, is in inverse proportion to the morality and spirituality of the citizenship.

55:5.5 (630.2) Schools are vastly improved and are devoted to the training of mind and the expansion of soul. The art centers are exquisite and the musical organizations superb. The temples of worship with their associated schools of philosophy and experiential religion are creations of beauty and grandeur. The open-air arenas of worship assembly are equally sublime in the simplicity of their artistic appointment.

55:5.6 (630.3) The provisions for competitive play, humor, and other phases of personal and group achievement are ample and appropriate. A special feature of the competitive activities on such a highly cultured world concerns the efforts of individuals and groups to excel in the sciences and philosophies of cosmology. Literature and oratory flourish, and language is so improved as to be symbolic of concepts as well as to be expressive of ideas. Life is refreshingly simple; man has at last co-ordinated a high state of mechanical development with an inspiring intellectual attainment and has overshadowed both with an exquisite spiritual achievement. The pursuit of happiness is an experience of joy and satisfaction.


Simplicity seems to me to be a virtue and a concept worthy of further study and pursuit.

Alexandros


"Refreshingly simple" carries a lot of meaning/resonance, doesn't it?! Calls up a deep, innate longing for that inevitable realization of a world of stunning beauty, less fraught with unnecessary, burdensome complexity. We'll get there, eventually. Urantians always do the right thing... last.

.

_________________
Richard E Warren


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 pm +0000
Posts: 48
rick warren wrote:
"Refreshingly simple" carries a lot of meaning/resonance, doesn't it?! Calls up a deep, innate longing for that inevitable realization of a world of stunning beauty, less fraught with unnecessary, burdensome complexity. We'll get there, eventually. Urantians always do the right thing... last.


Indeed! Your question reminded me of a book I read 6-7 years ago called "The Valley of Roses". I had initially read a much smaller version of it much, much earlier when I was still a kid, before discovering the Urantia book and it had stuck in my mind. After discovering the Urantia book and many years after, I searched and found the full version of the book, some 800 pages. In it, there are mentions of beautiful cities, floating ones too, the capital of Earth, sort of like the spiritual centre of Earth, but also there is mention of botanical wonders such as the creation of remarkable, shimmering blue roses. It makes for an interesting reading. How much of it, if any, is true I don't know, but one can easily observe the human longing for beauty and harmony in many works of art, in literature, music, visual arts etc. And I do believe that simplicity has much to do with truth and beauty maybe even goodness. As an example, the modern musical style of "New Complexity" comes to my mind; music that is overcomplicated, purely logical and mathematical, devoid of melody and of course, as the name suggests, simplicity. Isn't this just another example of what materialistic minds in a largely materialistic-driven society will tend to produce? I believe that it is...

The Valley of Roses



Alexandros


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 pm +0000
Posts: 48
And an antipodal contemporary example should also be mentioned:



The black on the canvas is slowly, but surely being brightened up. :smile:


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:03 am +0000
Posts: 2254
Location: US
Komposer wrote:

The black on the canvas is slowly, but surely being brightened up. :smile:


Slowly and certainly, we pray. Thanks for the antipodals, perfect examples of the significance of the quality of artistry, and quality's complete dependence on human/divine integration and cooperation in producing experiences beautiful, meaningful, even transformative.


.

_________________
Richard E Warren


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Resurrecting Eden
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:14 am +0000
Posts: 205
I really enjoyed "Music of the Spheres" very inspiring! Thanks for posting.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Registered users: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group