Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:40 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

My claim is that in my experiences: the Spirit of Truth helps my personal moral recognition of duty. If I can hear the needs of my brothers and sisters properly, I will know what I must do, in order to help their families. I do not seek to give voice to the Spirit of Truth, or to embody or express that, but rather the Spirit of Truth helps me to recognise howbeit that I might become more helpful unto other persons. Through sincerity and honesty, I can hear the truth spoken from other mouths, in many languages. No, I cannot state exactly what the Spirit of Truth is, any better than is already written in the Urantia Book, nor do I hope to define this experience for anyone.

As you express, I do not believe that the Holy Spirit or the Spirit of Truth to be a personal attribute of any individual: such constitutes separately and respectively: the life in the seventh universe, and the life of increasingly sovereign beings. Only the Father Fragment can be seen as a personal possession of man.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. I agree. I also approach advising and counseling others prayerfully and cautiously and open my own mind to the Spirit.

You never know when someone might actually take your advice...hahaha. Thanks! :wink:

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
pethuel wrote:
And yes Katroofjebus. it is amazing how some people covet power, and it appears to be an insatiable addiction driving people to extraordinary acts of cruelty and inhuman behavior. Yet some of these types of people, in spite of their personal weaknesses, have been instruments of global change!?!

Maybe that's how the Most Highs rule in the kingdom of men.

I was quite intrigued by this last sentence, although I suggest we edit it to read "Maybe that's one of the ways the Most Highs rule in the kingdom of men". In Paper 114:7 it says,

"The Most Highs rule in the kingdoms of men through many celestial forces and agencies but chiefly through the ministry of seraphim."
"But aside from these many means of positive action, the master seraphim insure planetary progress against vital jeopardy through the mobilization, training, and maintenance of the reserve corps of destiny. The chief function of these reservists is to insure against breakdown of evolutionary progress; they are the provisions which the celestial forces have made against surprise; they are the guarantees against disaster."

"and it is, to a certain extent, through these small groups of forward-looking personalities that spiritual civilization is advanced and the Most Highs are able to rule in the kingdoms of men."

One example given in the UB is in Paper 72 "Government on a Neighboring Planet": "This continental nation, in general, followed the evolutionary trend of the planet: The development from the tribal stage to the appearance of strong rulers and kings occupied thousands of years. The unconditional monarchs were succeeded by many different orders of government—abortive republics, communal states, and dictators came and went in endless profusion. This growth continued until about five hundred years ago when, during a politically fermenting period, one of the nation's powerful dictator-triumvirs had a change of heart. He volunteered to abdicate upon condition that one of the other rulers, the baser of the remaining two, also vacate his dictatorship. Thus was the sovereignty of the continent placed in the hands of one ruler. The unified state progressed under strong monarchial rule for over one hundred years, during which there evolved a masterful charter of liberty."

Here is this guy, a powerful member of the triumvirate rulers, undoubtedly at the pinnacle of human achievement according to the values of society of the day, who initiates a paradigm shift with a "change of heart". I am sure that he didn't arise to be one of the 3 most powerful men on the continent by being Mr. Nice Guy, and may have actually been the opposite of what he became after this "change of heart". It took time, perhaps almost a lifetime, for his Adjuster to accomplish his mission, but that is what lifetimes are for after all, isn't it?

We have a similar account in the Bible's book of Daniel, describing Nebuchadnezzar's rise to power and his subsequent "change of heart".

Meanwhile back in Paper 114 the Narrator, the Chief of Seraphim stationed on Urantia, explains that these mortals in the reserve corps of destiny "are little known to their fellows except in those rare social emergencies and spiritual exigencies wherein these reserve personalities function for the prevention of the breakdown of evolutionary culture or the extinction of the light of living truth. On Urantia these reservists of destiny have seldom been emblazoned on the pages of human history."

"The reservists unconsciously act as conservators of essential planetary information. Many times, upon the death of a reservist, a transfer of certain vital data from the mind of the dying reservist to a younger successor is made by a liaison of the two Thought Adjusters. The Adjusters undoubtedly function in many other ways unknown to us, in connection with these reserve corps."

Those are encouraging and faith-building statements in these bewildering times.