Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:37 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
"How can I, in this moment of space time, as a human individual, recognise what it requires to do the will of God?"

That's an excellent question, one I've asked myself many times. For me the answer is the most loving thing that comes to mind after humbly beseeching the Father for help. If I can act out that love, then I do it, whatever it might be. I don't second guess it or worry about it, but instead let the Spirit of Truth do the job of sorting out how the act of love flows through the relational problems of life. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes others fight back and resist the love, but that is not my concern. God is my witness and the consequences are his. The goal is to constantly strive for more love, more caring, more giving, more sharing, more of everything that is true, beautiful and good. In the meantime, I know that my so-called "acts of love" are not perfect; they will always need refining, so the cycle never ends.

But lest someone pitches a fit that this has nothing to do with the topic of social justice, suffice it say that fruits of the spirit are true acts of love. There is something called social fruits which are purely humanistic, and I think the current, modern-day concept of social justice falls somewhere within the realm of humanism, which is the kingdom of good. The kingdom of good is from a human perspective rather than the kingdom of God which requires a personal relationship with him as a person, not just an idea.

References:
(1126:4) 102:7.4 True, many apparently religious traits can grow out of nonreligious roots. Man can, intellectually, deny God and yet be morally good, loyal, filial, honest, and even idealistic. Man may graft many purely humanistic branches onto his basic spiritual nature and thus apparently prove his contentions in behalf of a godless religion, but such an experience is devoid of survival values, God-knowingness and God-ascension. In such a mortal experience only social fruits are forthcoming, not spiritual. The graft determines the nature of the fruit, notwithstanding that the living sustenance is drawn from the roots of original divine endowment of both mind and spirit.

(40:4) 2:5.12 When man loses sight of the love of a personal God, the kingdom of God becomes merely the kingdom of good. Notwithstanding the infinite unity of the divine nature, love is the dominant characteristic of all God's personal dealings with his creatures.

(69.6) 5:5.11God-consciousness, as it is experienced by an evolving mortal of the realms, must consist of three varying factors, three differential levels of reality realization. There is first the mind consciousness--the comprehension of the idea of God. Then follows the soul consciousness--the realization of the ideal of God. Last, dawns the spirit consciousness--the realization of the spirit reality of God. By the unification of these factors of the divine realization, no matter how incomplete, the mortal personality at all times overspreads all conscious levels with a realization of the personality of God. In those mortals who have attained the Corps of the Finality all this will in time lead to the realization of the supremacy of God and may subsequently eventuate in the realization of the ultimacy of God, some phase of the absonite superconsciousness of the Paradise Father.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Is the Kingdom of good a bad thing? Is social justice not also a result of the Kingdom of God? Does the Kingdom of good and social justice lead to the Kingdom of God?

Isn't the gateway to the spirit our morality and ethics? How does one, or all, get to the highest level of the Golden Rule without reaching the first step of the GR...ethical self interest???!!!

Moral choices ARE a religious experience we are taught, and both prelimnary and integral to spiritization. Let us not forget such an important and relevant fact and truth.

8)

PostPosted:  

A definition of social justice states that, "Social justice refers to a concept in which equity or justice is achieved in every aspect of society rather than in only some aspects or for some people. A world organized around social justice principles affords individuals and groups fair treatment as well as an impartial share or distribution of the advantages and disadvantages within a society."

Note the similarities with UB paper 181, in which Jesus says:

Quote:
And so, Matthew, dedicate your whole future life service to showing all men that God is no respecter of persons; that, in the sight of God and in the fellowship of the kingdom, all men are equal, all believers are the sons of God.”

PostPosted:  

Consider this reference:

5:5.4 Moral conduct is always an antecedent of evolved religion and a part of even revealed religion, but never the whole of religious experience. Social service is the result of moral thinking and religious living. Morality does not biologically lead to the higher spiritual levels of religious experience. The adoration of the abstract beautiful is not the worship of God; neither is exaltation of nature nor the reverence of unity the worship of God.

Here's another one:

103:2.8 When a moral being chooses to be unselfish when confronted by the urge to be selfish, that is primitive religious experience. No animal can make such a choice; such a decision is both human and religious. It embraces the fact of God-consciousness and exhibits the impulse of social service, the basis of the brotherhood of man. When mind chooses a right moral judgment by an act of the free will, such a decision constitutes a religious experience.

PostPosted:  

Very good.

Whether by morality or spirituality, as goes the parts so goes the whole. Evolutionary progress and social justice on a planetary and epochal basis depend upon both the quantity and quality of either one.

All such planetary progress depends upon a generational transfer, preservation, aggregated accumulation of harvesting these seeds planted and harvested in the seasons of time.

Every yesr's crop must feed this season and provide for planting next season too.

PostPosted:  

The secret to the advancement of society or civilization lies within the creativity of the inner man. It is the Thought Adjuster who drives civilization forward, and this happens through spiritual fruit.

(1220:2) 111:4.3 The advances of true civilization are all born in this inner world of mankind. It is only the inner life that is truly creative. Civilization can hardly progress when the majority of the youth of any generation devote their interests and energies to the materialistic pursuits of the sensory or outer world.

(1198:7) 109:4.4 The indwelling Adjusters have in no small measure co-operated with other spiritual influences in transforming and humanizing the descendants of the primitive men of olden ages. If the Adjusters indwelling the minds of the inhabitants of Urantia were to be withdrawn, the world would slowly return to many of the scenes and practices of the men of primitive times; the divine Monitors are one of the real potentials of advancing civilization.

Humanism and secularism produces only social fruit. Social fruit can build a decent society, the kingdom of good, but not a progressive and lasting civilization; not without God.

(2082.2) 195:8.10 Without God, without religion, scientific secularism can never co-ordinate its forces, harmonize its divergent and rivalrous interests, races, and nationalisms. This secularistic human society, notwithstanding its unparalleled materialistic achievement, is slowly disintegrating. The chief cohesive force resisting this disintegration of antagonism is nationalism. And nationalism is the chief barrier to world peace.

n.b. I think the term nationalism in this reference means a feeling of superiority over other countries, which is different from patriotism and national devotion as described here:

(910:8 )81:6.35 No national civilization long endures unless its educational methods and religious ideals inspire a high type of intelligent patriotism and national devotion. Without this sort of intelligent patriotism and cultural solidarity, all nations tend to disintegrate as a result of provincial jealousies and local self-interests.