Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The worst thing about the block tool is that it eliminates the ability for the person being blocked to apologize or seek forgiveness. Private messages are also blocked, so there is no avenue open for those who realize they’ve erred and wish to make amends to the person they’ve offended.

If there’s one thing we know from the UB, it’s the importance of forgiveness. To truly love our brothers and sisters, we must forgive them. When someone blocks another member of our community, they are saying and ensuring “I will never forgive you.”

Not very Jesusonian, that. Quite short-sighted and hopeless.

Quote:
"When you forgive your brother in the flesh, you thereby create the capacity in your own soul for the reception of the reality of God's forgiveness of your own misdeeds." ~ Jesus, The Urantia Book, (170:2.23)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Those here who think that Bonita, the lady in question, is shy or timid or meek or weak or unable to be ferociously indignant and confrontational certainly does not know Bonita! And who has stalked her here? Such exaggerations of concern. For a very dominate personality with many years of experience here and other public forums with a well earned reputation for give AND take. You should consider a more worthy or actual victim for your concerns.

The block is childish and I believe socially tactical in this case. And obviously working! C'mon Rick...you believe Bonita to be badgered, stalked, and attacked here? And defenseless? You certainly know better than that....hahaha. The woman has removed my head and plattered it several times...mostly a long, long time ago and I deserved it!

She has certainly held her own here since her return too. I'm glad she's here...if confused by some of her antics. Indeed, I have encouraged her return here several times these last 8 years. She has nothing to fear from me....and sure as heck knows it too!!!!!

8) :? :?:

Sorry, I truly didn't know this thread was about anyone Bradly. My words were meant generally. I moderated for years on the Association's forum, you were there, and found blocking a necessary tool for members, but hopefully, a last resort.

PostPosted:  

Good times!!! Invisionzone. Lets make sure that stays up for access and research. Where I met Bonita. You were the first to welcome me to the online community of UB study. I will be forever grateful for my time there...and here.

www.urantia.invisionzone.com

PostPosted:  

Quote:
[
I truly didn't know this thread was about anyone

As the person who started this thread, it was not intended to be about one individual. Several folks here habitually use the block feature. This thread is about the feature, not about the people. I did mention katroof at one point simply because I know she has me blocked yet she cannot resist chiming in on my thread, while ignoring my contributions. I find that odd and rude.

But my intent is to propose a short time of everyone doing without the block feature as a show of goodwill on everyone’s part; and to allow opportunity for any who wish to seek forgiveness to do so.

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Quote:
[
I truly didn't know this thread was about anyone

As the person who started this thread, it was not intended to be about one individual. Several folks here habitually use the block feature. This thread is about the feature, not about the people. I did mention katroof at one point simply because I know she has me blocked yet she cannot resist chiming in on my thread, while ignoring my contributions. I find that odd and rude.

But my intent is to propose a short time of everyone doing without the block feature as a show of goodwill on everyone’s part; and to allow opportunity for any who wish to seek forgiveness to do so.

Good, appreciate the clarification, Agon. So, I'm confused (not unnormal). Are you calling for a vote, or to hear from MaryJo? Or more discussion?

PostPosted:  

I simply want to understand various viewpoints on the matter, number one. A vote would not be fair because some who may have block on may not know about it. If MaryJo sees the perspectives and chooses to do something, that’s her prerogative. I do not expect it, necessarily.

I think as a community it is healthy for us to articulate the pros and cons of the block tool and to commit to one another to be mature and fair if we choose to use it on occasion.

PostPosted:  

Interestingly, we had a discussion along very similar lines almost a year ago. One of the moderators, Gremlin, shared a perspective that I very much agree with. See the thread here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5475&hilit=block#p71238

Gremlin wrote:
If one only sees a reflection of one's self in the world then one will become a Solipsist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

If this forum is visited by outsiders, then they will see many people talking past each other. Each user in their own world. A literal Tower of Babel.

As funny as this might seem, it would destroy whatever benevolent image the Urantia Book reader community has. It would appear to non-readers that the readers are away with the pixies.

Believe it or don't: This is a public forum and it is continuously visited by academics, journalists, and other inquisitive people.

If the forum degenerates because the users have poor or non-existent communication skills, then the ability of the forum to serve it's primary purpose is disabled. Then the forum will be closed down.

Compare that with my initial post on this thread:

Agon D. Onter wrote:

We are currently seeing evidence of the dysfunction and lack of cohesive study methods due to the ability of some members to block other members; thereby, not seeing those other members' contributions to our discussions. This creates redundancy of posting the same UB quotes and the same points, while at the same time, the phenomenon of 'two ships that pass in the night' with regard to someone making a compelling point but it not being picked up on or even continued in the discussion due to the blocking feature.